Friday, December 26th 2008

Steam Holiday Sale On Now

The Steam Holiday sale is on now. Through January 2, 2009, every game on Steam is available at 10% to 75% off the regular price. Select publisher catalogs such as Ubisoft, THQ, and 2K Games are 25% off. Award-winning titles such as Bioshock and Portal are available for 75% off the regular price. For more information, please visit this page.
Add your own comment

60 Comments on Steam Holiday Sale On Now

#1
silkstone
Finally got it working - and i can connect to servers in china to play Counter-strike :)
Only $9.99 here still (not gone the euro way)
Does tax normally come up at the final checkout page, or is it just charged extra to your card? As the final bill was only 9.99 didn't look like there was any tax at all.

DM> there's a utility out that will let you use steam on 2 computers (well a hack) it will also let you download every game if you can ever connect. PM me if you want to try it. I'm not sure how it works as i only had a quick play.
Posted on Reply
#2
mdm-adph
DarkMatter said:
You have to admit this MUST BE a bad joke. They inflate our prices just to offer overall discounts soon after. And the worst thing is that even with the "massive" discounts prices are higher than before here. Except for Bioshock.

TBH Valve is just pissing me off lately. It may sound stupid (it's been a year r more since we coincide gaming at the same time), but my bro and me just found today that NOW you can't use the same steam account on two different computers at the same time when you want to play 2 DIFFERENT games even if they are offline games. That's ridiculous!! Before you could play different games, but NOT now. You can still play them on offline mode, but every time we start steam it starts online and the only secure way of ensuring that my brother won't get kicked if he is playing is by disconnecting the LAN cable. Wile E talked about convenience in the other thread... YEAH, the convenience we are just experiencing is PRICELESS.
Yeah... that's the way Steam is supposed to work. You don't have to disconnect a LAN cable -- just ask your firewall to block all outbound and inbound connections (usually undertaken by a simple menu click).
Posted on Reply
#3
iamverysmart
Haytch said:
Your right, its $310au a month. Its a great plan, except the price is rather stupid for a regular home use. Just wish they had the same plan for a third of that price. I think my ABN is still valid, hmmm.
I find the price very good, to Australian standards. You can download 6TB+ of data if you can sync the full 24mb.
Posted on Reply
#4
DarkMatter
silkstone said:
DM> there's a utility out that will let you use steam on 2 computers (well a hack) it will also let you download every game if you can ever connect. PM me if you want to try it. I'm not sure how it works as i only had a quick play.
mdm-adph said:
Yeah... that's the way Steam is supposed to work. You don't have to disconnect a LAN cable -- just ask your firewall to block all outbound and inbound connections (usually undertaken by a simple menu click).
The thing is that I shouldn't have to do ANYTHING. Thanks for trying to help anyway guys, but doesn't really help me, sorry.

mdm - I know a lot of ways to do it. ;) Right now disconecting the cable is the easiest way, because I have it right next to me. Thought I meant disabling the connection as a whole concept. The firewall method doesn't really work for me anyway, Steam is very clever apparently and somehow knows the PC is connected, so it constantly tries to connect for over 2-5 minutes (it also happens when the ISP service has failed). Only after what I suppose is a limited number of tries, it suggests offline.

And in any case we don't want to disconnect from the net, messenger, p2p programs, flashget, uploading to youtube, are only examples of tasks we like having open while we game.
silkstone - Thanks, I really apreciate your help, but if I wanted to deal with hacks I would simply pirate their games.
Posted on Reply
#5
TheMailMan78
Big Member
DarkMatter said:
You have to admit this MUST BE a bad joke. They inflate our prices just to offer overall discounts soon after. And the worst thing is that even with the "massive" discounts prices are higher than before here. Except for Bioshock.

TBH Valve is just pissing me off lately. It may sound stupid (it's been a year r more since we coincide gaming at the same time), but my bro and me just found today that NOW you can't use the same steam account on two different computers at the same time when you want to play 2 DIFFERENT games even if they are offline games. That's ridiculous!! Before you could play different games, but NOT now. You can still play them on offline mode, but every time we start steam it starts online and the only secure way of ensuring that my brother won't get kicked if he is playing is by disconnecting the LAN cable. Wile E talked about convenience in the other thread... YEAH, the convenience we are just experiencing is PRICELESS.
Sounds to me like they finally got Steam to work correctly in Europe. You are only supposed to have one user per account at ONE TIME. You don't like Steam. We get it. My question is when are you going to stop crying!
Posted on Reply
#6
DarkMatter
I don't see why you should not be able to play 2 DIFFERENT games at the same time. I pay for the GAMES, not the ACCOUNT, so if Valve wants you to use only ONE ACCOUNT and ONE GAME at a time, maybe they should start charging for the account and make games free or pay-per-play.
Posted on Reply
#7
mdm-adph
DarkMatter said:
Tmdm - I know a lot of ways to do it. ;) Right now disconecting the cable is the easiest way, because I have it right next to me. Thought I meant disabling the connection as a whole concept. The firewall method doesn't really work for me anyway, Steam is very clever apparently and somehow knows the PC is connected, so it constantly tries to connect for over 2-5 minutes (it also happens when the ISP service has failed). Only after what I suppose is a limited number of tries, it suggests offline.

And in any case we don't want to disconnect from the net, messenger, p2p programs, flashget, uploading to youtube, are only examples of tasks we like having open while we game.
silkstone - Thanks, I really apreciate your help, but if I wanted to deal with hacks I would simply pirate their games.
What Firewall program are you using? All modern firewall programs that I was aware of allow you to selectively allow Internet access to programs -- there is not a way that Steam should be "aware" of an internet connection if you block it. You shouldn't have to cut off Internet access to anything else, just Steam. I've verified this and it works. :P

Unless you're using the Windows firewall, which, last I checked, has no way to stop outbound connections. Could be your problem, there.

I shouldn't have to say that I've done this many times and it's worked perfectly (and still works today).

DarkMatter said:
I don't see why you should not be able to play 2 DIFFERENT games at the same time. I pay for the GAMES, not the ACCOUNT, so if Valve wants you to use only ONE ACCOUNT and ONE GAME at a time, maybe they should start charging for the account and make games free or pay-per-play.
Nope -- don't know how the laws work specifically in Spain, but read your EULA when you buy a game through Steam. You're probably just buying a "license" to use the game on one computer. :D
Posted on Reply
#8
DarkMatter
mdm-adph said:
What Firewall program are you using? All modern firewall programs that I was aware of allow you to selectively allow Internet access to programs -- there is not a way that Steam should be "aware" of an internet connection if you block it. You shouldn't have to cut off Internet access to anything else, just Steam. I've verified this and it works. :P

Unless you're using the Windows firewall, which, last I checked, has no way to stop outbound connections. Could be your problem, there.

I shouldn't have to say that I've done this many times and it's worked perfectly (and still works today).
It doesn't work well for me. If I stop the connections trough the firewall (Kerio) Steam will try to connect for almost 5 minutes (time varies but is a lot) and after that it suggests offline. Anyway I should be able to play two different online games at a time, so that's not a fix to the problem, just a workaround for a very limited number of games.
Nope -- don't know how the laws work specifically in Spain, but read your EULA when you buy a game through Steam. You're probably just buying a "license" to use the game on one computer. :D
Nope, at the very least you can use the games in one computer AT A TIME, but of course you can choose which computer is that. For instance the game that my brother was trying to play is not installed in my rig right now, so there shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I have just readed the EULA and says nothing in one way or another about using the account in more than one PC, so legally you can do it. There's nothing preventing you from playing in more than one PC at a time, and legally you should be able to play even the same game!! I'm not saying that we have the right to do so, I'm not complaining about that. But two different games yes and legally you can. PLUS it's very interesting that in many of the most important parts you can find something similar to: "The terms of this section may not apply to European Union consumers". Which IMHO is just a way of saying: "probably nothing of this is applicable there in the EU, but we just write it down anyway, so you think you are subjected to all this."

I have readed many EULAs in my life, the last one was the one in HL2 retail and a little bit before Doom3 and Farcry. The 3 games limited you to install the game on 2 computers at a time as long as both belonged to the same family with one degree of kinship (your parents, your sons and brothers). You could lend it to anyone you pleased, give it as a gift, or even resell it, just like any other retail poduct.
Posted on Reply
#9
DonInKansas
DarkMatter said:
I don't see why you should not be able to play 2 DIFFERENT games at the same time.
Damn....I can barely get all of one game when I'm playing it. The thought of having more than one up makes my head hurt...:roll:
Posted on Reply
#10
scoutingwraith
Haytch said:

Is this a TRUE 10Mb connection ? If so . . . You pretty much are on a connection i would kill for.
Its not but i get great speeds no matter what happens. I mean i have a max speed of a download from a regular site go up to 1.4MB.
Posted on Reply