Wednesday, March 25th 2009

New On-Demand Gaming Platform Threatens to Kill Gaming PC Upgrades

We all regard PC games, as an entertainment medium, but spend hundreds to even thousands of Dollars regularly, to keep our PCs up to date, to be able to play the latest PC games. Imagine a medium that rids us of that, and we are able to consume PC gaming like any other content, like the TV or radio. Well, that the potential a new on-demand gaming platform holds – to make you never have to buy/upgrade a gaming PC again.

Called OnLive, the on-demand platform consists of a web service, an internet connection, and a thin-client, called “micro-console” that connects your input (game controllers), and output (monitor/TV/HDTV). You control the game – whichever you’re subscribed to and playing – the client relays your input to the OnLive servers, that do the processing, including graphics rendering, and send back output to your client. The client then displays the output. Sounds familiar? Cloud computing? Exactly, but for PC gaming. The platform is conceptualized to be advanced-enough to handle any of today’s games, Crysis included. The work-model of this platform is what makes it tick with any game, and is far more future-proof than the present mode of PC gaming (where people own expensive hardware that are in requirement of upgrades, the costs of buying games, buying gaming services separate).

For standard definition television quality, a broadband connection of at least 1.5 megabits per second is required. For HDTV resolution, a connection of at least 5 mbps is needed. The service uses patented algorithms that work to counter lag caused by network constraints. The technology is already gaining attention from major publishers, including EA, THQ, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Atari, Warner Bros., Take-Two, and Epic. People can buy or rent a game to play it, the usage fees are expected not to be much more than the subscription fees for Xbox Live.

Source: Kokatu
Add your own comment

246 Comments on New On-Demand Gaming Platform Threatens to Kill Gaming PC Upgrades

#1
Ongaku
lol....I bet they don't realise that computer monitors have been "HD" forever either.

I don't know, this is just so stupid! My head can't get around it....how much bandwidth you would use just to play one game...and they really think this will "threaten" PC upgrades? I lol at that:laugh:
Posted on Reply
#2
DrPepper
The Doctor is in the house
Mussels said:
ongaku:
about the 720P thing, i've had a few console obsessed people hear me say my screen is 768P - better than 720P and they've drooled.

Tell a PC user its 1360x768 and they tend to laugh at how low it is.

I played the original unreal tournament at 1280x1024 FFS!
Alot of my friends didn't think 1680 x 1050 was better than 720p

Ongaku said:
lol....I bet they don't realise that computer monitors have been "HD" forever either.

I don't know, this is just so stupid! My head can't get around it....how much bandwidth you would use just to play one game...and they really think this will "threaten" PC upgrades? I lol at that:laugh:
I still think it would have been better if the software worked inside the computer than replace it.
Posted on Reply
#3
Mussels
Moderprator
With the claims they make in a video review i saw they quoted the following
1.5Mb connection("1.2Mb real" - their words) for 480P
4Mb (real) for 720P
?Mb 1080P

If they say you need 4Mb for 720P, holy shit your bandwidth is going away fast.
4Mb = 512KB/s
Thats 1,800MB an hour, at a solid rate. This aint gunna work on anyones net... most cable users have poor speeds in on-peak periods, and everyone else has download limits that make this useless.

edit:
1.2Mb is approx 150KB/s
thats 527MB an hour. for 480P gaming. Bleh.
Posted on Reply
#4
scarab
Mussels said:
If they say you need 4Mb for 720P, holy shit your bandwidth is going away fast.
4Mb = 512KB/s
Thats 1,800MB an hour, at a solid rate. This aint gunna work on anyones net... most cable users have poor speeds in on-peak periods, and everyone else has download limits that make this useless.

edit:
1.2Mb is approx 150KB/s
thats 527MB an hour. for 480P gaming. Bleh.
Dude. it's not 1,800 megabytes. It's 1,800 megabits - or 230 Megabytes per hour. If your internet can't download 230 megabytes in an hour, I wouldn't even call that broadband.


and 527MB / 8 = 65 Megabytes per hour for 1.2meg connection.

230 Megabytes for 1 hour of 720p video is really good! Keep in mind that the guy who started onlive has invented a lot of shit.
Posted on Reply
#5
Mussels
Moderprator
scarab said:
Dude. it's not 1,800 megabytes. It's 1,800 megabits - or 230 Megabytes per hour. If your internet can't download 230 megabytes in an hour, I wouldn't even call that broadband.


and 527MB / 8 = 65 Megabytes per hour for 1.2meg connection.

230 Megabytes for 1 hour of 720p video is really good! Keep in mind that the guy who started onlive has invented a lot of shit.
i think i fucked up an edit in there. Let me check.
edit: nope. i did not.

8mb = 1MB
4Mb = 0.5MB

starting at 8Mb
1MB a second * 60 seconds in a minute (60MB) * 60 minutes in an hour. = 3600MBs an hour.
halve that for a 4Mb connection, and its 1800MBs an hour.
You sir, fucked up your math. not me.

edit: and with simple halving...

2Mb = 900MB/h
1MB = 450MB/h
Posted on Reply
#6
Hayder_Master
what price of this , anyway i still prefer upgrade pc
Posted on Reply
#7
DaveK
On the subject of 720p video, a good enough bitrate for video is 5,000Kbps, wouldn't that require a 40Mb connection for streaming?
Posted on Reply
#8
morpha
OnLive is a null venture.

Posted on Reply
#9
Mussels
Moderprator
DaveK said:
On the subject of 720p video, a good enough bitrate for video is 5,000Kbps, wouldn't that require a 40Mb connection for streaming?
You just said a 5Mb stream will require 40Mb net.

I'm a little confused now.
Posted on Reply
#10
DaveK
Mussels said:
You just said a 5Mb stream will require 40Mb net.

I'm a little confused now.
Wait, I was a little confused writing that lol, My 20Mb connection can download at 2,500Kbps so a 40Mb connection downloads at 5,000Kbps. Wouldn't a video that plays at 5,000kbps require a connection that can download at 5,000kbps? I may be getting confused with the whole sign thing i.e MB, Mb.
Posted on Reply
#11
Mussels
Moderprator
DaveK said:
Wait, I was a little confused writing that lol, My 20Mb connection can download at 2,500Kbps so a 40Mb connection downloads at 5,000Kbps. Wouldn't a video that plays at 5,000kbps require a connection that can download at 5,000kbps? I may be getting confused with the whole sign thing i.e MB, Mb.
you most definately are confused.

your 20Mb (Megabit) connection downloads at 2,500 (KB) KiloBytes a second.

5,000 Kb video requires 625KB/s
Posted on Reply
#12
DaveK
Mussels said:
you most definately are confused.

your 20Mb (Megabit) connection downloads at 2,500 (KB) KiloBytes a second.

5,000 Kb video requires 625KB/s
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me, I knew I was wrong when it was hard for me to figure out what I wrote lol. The speedtest website I used said 2,500Kb lol.
Posted on Reply
#13
Mussels
Moderprator
DaveK said:
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me, I knew I was wrong when it was hard for me to figure out what I wrote lol.
upper case B signifies bytes
lower case b signifies bits.

8 bits to the byte, so 8Mb = 1MB, and so on.
Posted on Reply
#14
scarab
Mussels said:
With the claims they make in a video review i saw they quoted the following
1.5Mb connection("1.2Mb real" - their words) for 480P
4Mb (real) for 720P
?Mb 1080P

If they say you need 4Mb for 720P, holy shit your bandwidth is going away fast.
4Mb = 512KB/s
Thats 1,800MB an hour, at a solid rate. This aint gunna work on anyones net... most cable users have poor speeds in on-peak periods, and everyone else has download limits that make this useless.

edit:
1.2Mb is approx 150KB/s
thats 527MB an hour. for 480P gaming. Bleh.
Mussels said:
i think i fucked up an edit in there. Let me check.
edit: nope. i did not.

8mb = 1MB
4Mb = 0.5MB

starting at 8Mb
1MB a second * 60 seconds in a minute (60MB) * 60 minutes in an hour. = 3600MBs an hour.
halve that for a 4Mb connection, and its 1800MBs an hour.
You sir, fucked up your math. not me.

edit: and with simple halving...

2Mb = 900MB/h
1MB = 450MB/h
Oh yea. WHen you said 4mb = 512KB/s i was thinking 512Kilobits per second - which, now that i think about it, doesn't make any sense.

Holy tits 1800 Megabytes per hour to run onlive. There's no way a 4mb connection is gonna do that. They've gotta have some ridiculously fast upload servers. I have a 20meg connection. I can obviously download that fast, but i'm yet to find anywhere that can upload as fast as I download.
Posted on Reply
#15
Mussels
Moderprator
you dont need the same upload, its the download you need.

The problem is that any fluctuations in ping or packet loss, are going to screw the video up.
And hell, even in the USA the big companies (comcast) have download limits. sure its a huge 250GB, but at almost 2GB an hour, thats not much gmaing!
Posted on Reply
#16
NamesDontMatter
Well I've read through the pages of posts, many of which are uninformed and very stupid describing things that have already been confirmed as invalid. Please read articles before commenting on them. Somone said they wanted this as a "plugin card to the pc" . . . this works on all PC's! its a browser plugin! It works on PC's Macs, and with their little microbox on TV's as standalone. "Please read, watch, and listen if not your ignorance shines."

Also the he said she said is invalid here since this can be variable based on packet loss cause by modems, firewalls, bad isps, slow internet speed etc. Not to mention the service is still in alpha, it has been 7 years in development and has comapnies like autodesk, warner brothers, etc backing them. It didn't just start yesterday!

For those who are misinformed watch the video!

http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6206692/gdc-2009-onlive-press-conference?hd=1
Posted on Reply
#17
scarab
I'm willing to give it a shot, but seeing is believing. Until then, I'm skeptical. I don't think MS will do this until the gen after next. I bet next-gen xbox will be download to a hard-drive only.
Posted on Reply
#18
Taz100420
I like the looks of the browser and the features look nice. We will see how it all pans out in the end. If it does well, I will be def. getting one.
Posted on Reply
#19
A Cheese Danish
So their top server uses dual 8800 GTX's...And the reason they run so fast is due to 16 RAID hard drives. If you can't match the download speed, won't it lag a bit? And you have to test your internet connection to see if it works with their servers.
So if it doesn't meet the standards, I take it you have to return it to wherever you bought it at? Sounds like a lot of trouble for trying to get a game to run at 720p.
And no custom maps or mods are able to be played. Kind of upsetting really.

It is really taking all the fun out of building a pc to meet the needs of newer tech games.
Posted on Reply
#21
CDdude55
Crazy 4 TPU!!!
kid41212003 said:
There's free trial now... 30 mins for each game. I just played borderland on it.. not so bad.

http://www.onlive.com/#3
Awesome!:)

Gonna give it a try.
Posted on Reply
#22
Solaris17
Creator Solaris Utility DVD
what about the technical aspect? with HD steams that big what happens to the monthly bandwidth cap that all big ISP's now put on people?
Posted on Reply
#23
zithe
I get about double what the ads say you need and regularly, too. Don't see how this is so impossible.

If anything, it'll flop because of the cost to maintain the service, won't it?
Posted on Reply
#24
DonInKansas
I can't even get SD worthy internet service for this. Failsauce.
Posted on Reply
#25
CDdude55
Crazy 4 TPU!!!
The application won't launch for me because my internet connection is some shit.:(:mad:
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment