Wednesday, March 25th 2009

New On-Demand Gaming Platform Threatens to Kill Gaming PC Upgrades

We all regard PC games, as an entertainment medium, but spend hundreds to even thousands of Dollars regularly, to keep our PCs up to date, to be able to play the latest PC games. Imagine a medium that rids us of that, and we are able to consume PC gaming like any other content, like the TV or radio. Well, that the potential a new on-demand gaming platform holds – to make you never have to buy/upgrade a gaming PC again.

Called OnLive, the on-demand platform consists of a web service, an internet connection, and a thin-client, called “micro-console” that connects your input (game controllers), and output (monitor/TV/HDTV). You control the game – whichever you’re subscribed to and playing – the client relays your input to the OnLive servers, that do the processing, including graphics rendering, and send back output to your client. The client then displays the output. Sounds familiar? Cloud computing? Exactly, but for PC gaming. The platform is conceptualized to be advanced-enough to handle any of today’s games, Crysis included. The work-model of this platform is what makes it tick with any game, and is far more future-proof than the present mode of PC gaming (where people own expensive hardware that are in requirement of upgrades, the costs of buying games, buying gaming services separate).

For standard definition television quality, a broadband connection of at least 1.5 megabits per second is required. For HDTV resolution, a connection of at least 5 mbps is needed. The service uses patented algorithms that work to counter lag caused by network constraints. The technology is already gaining attention from major publishers, including EA, THQ, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Atari, Warner Bros., Take-Two, and Epic. People can buy or rent a game to play it, the usage fees are expected not to be much more than the subscription fees for Xbox Live.

Source: Kokatu

246 Comments on New On-Demand Gaming Platform Threatens to Kill Gaming PC Upgrades

kid41212003
Did anyone else try this? It took me under 2 mins to install the app and start a game...
scaminatrix
Can't try it myself (56k), looks interesting though.
The Brag thing looks good; recording your footage online without any extra apps on your pc... very cool.
DrPepper
The Doctor is in the house
Works fine but looks like total ass.
DaMulta
My stars went supernova
I need to reinstall windows on my laptop.....this could be kool!!!!!!

I get about 6 on my internet connection...and so this shouldn't be too bad!

Sucks you have to pay full price for all the games....well not so much I guess steam works off this system!

If it kicks ass.....I might just stick to this system instead......
DrPepper
The Doctor is in the house
DaMulta said:
I need to reinstall windows on my laptop.....this could be kool!!!!!!

I get about 6 on my internet connection...and so this shouldn't be too bad!

If it kicks ass.....I might just stick to this system instead......
It's good if you have a nettop with the 1360 x 768 resolution since it will allow gaming even on a shitty intel GMA. Assuming the cpu load isn't too much. Would also be very good on all apple laptops and ultra lights.
Mussels
Moderprator
DonInKansas said:
I can't even get SD worthy internet service for this. Failsauce.
thats my concern, lag will be shit unless the servers are located really really close to you/your ISP.

DrPepper said:
yeah, exactly. for really low end systems this is an upgrade, for everyone else its worthless.
Melvis
Useless in my country (or at least this area) as we wont get internet like that for another 10yrs.

And there will always be upgrades, even that thing will hit a brick wall in the future.
Wile E
Power User
When they first announced this, I was under the impression it was along the lines of you pay a monthly fee, and you can play x number of games a month.

It's not like that at all. You have to buy rights to each individual game. To get anytime usage rights, you have to pay the full price for the game.

This is stupid. If I pay full price for a game, I want a full blown copy.

The idea had potential for those that don't mind a little less quality, but I think they are gonna flop with this execution. They just made it too pricey.
Kantastic
Wile E said:

This is stupid. If I pay full price for a game, I want a full blown copy.

Trade-off is you don't have to upgrade your computer so often.
CDdude55
Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Kantastic said:
Trade-off is you don't have to upgrade your computer so often.
But i love doing that.. lol
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
Will try it out when I get home to my 100mbit line. :)
Wile E
Power User
Kantastic said:
Trade-off is you don't have to upgrade your computer so often.
Don't have to upgrade that often to play today's games with the same quality as this. An 8800 will easily match this in quality. A 4 year old card. That's not exactly the need for frequent upgrades.
Mussels
Moderprator
Wile E said:

This is stupid. If I pay full price for a game, I want a full blown copy.

exactly, i thought it was subscription/rental based, not 'buy the game AND pay for the service'
kid41212003
Mussels said:
You buy the game, but the service doesn't cost you anything. You can either rent games or pay full price.
AphexDreamer
Hmm seems like a great alternative for individuals who can't afford an expensive console or PC to play games. I'm glad this exists and as internet connections improve so will Onlive. Maybe if this becomes really popular we can see lower prices in games, PC hardware, Consoles or something.
hat
Enthusiast
I would rather have a great PC that can handle all the processing rather then piping everything over the net. That said, gonna give this free trial a shot and see how it does.
Wile E
Power User
kid41212003 said:
So, if the quality is lower than that of a budget gaming PC or console, what's the benefit? You still have to buy the game to have use of it all the time.

For anyone with a 9600GT or better, this is a ripoff.
kid41212003
I was just pointing what was wrong... that's all.

I like the idea, but because of the current internet infrastructures it doesn't work really well. I'm sure once high speed internet are available everywhere this will be a big boom...
hat
Enthusiast
^^agreed. The graphics were pretty bad, around PS2 level. Graphics is a huge selling point these days. Load times were slow. I don't see it taking off, really.
Wile E
Power User
hat said:
Now, make it $14.99/mo and you get to play say 5 or 6 titles as long as you like each month, and maybe this might start to make some sense. Not the current business model tho.
kid41212003
hat said:
I wouldn't say it's THAT bad. I believe the quality change according to your internet speed.

I played 30mins of Borderland. Textures look good, but it looks like a badly converted 720p video.