• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 13th Gen Support?

mva94

Anything is possible. If you are curious, you will need to buy a 13900KS and do some testing.

Not all CPUs are created equal. The 13900KS is going to be a top tier chip. A regular 13900K will likely need more voltage and higher current when the MHz are equal. This might cause your chip to trigger EDP throttling when his chip does not.
Also he has this as power limit
Me it only says pl1 and pl2 , for him it says pl1 static and pl1 dynamic, you have any clue?
Screenshot_20230502_165751_Discord.jpg

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Are you both using the same version of HWiNFO?

HWiNFO might be reporting the two different power limits separately now. ThrottleStop has been doing this for quite a while. The static and dynamic power limits might be what ThrottleStop calls the MSR and MMIO power limits. Just a guess. It is recommended that manufacturers adjust the MMIO power limits dynamically and they should leave the MSR power limits alone.

Edit - Lucky guess.

1683043314351.png

Edit - You do not have a power limit throttling problem. EDP current throttling is not the same as power limit throttling.

Last edited:

mva94

Are you both using the same version of HWiNFO?

HWiNFO might be reporting the two different power limits separately now. ThrottleStop has been doing this for quite a while. The static and dynamic power limits might be what ThrottleStop calls the MSR and MMIO power limits. Just a guess. It is recommended that manufacturers adjust the MMIO power limits dynamically and they should leave the MSR power limits alone.
My i9 13900kf is locked to 253w no matter what I set the tdp to, using xtu or throttlestop it won't go above dell blocked it , how came the i9 13900ks can go that high in wattage ? He just sent me a cinebench r23 bench his cpu is pulling 320 w !!!

Unfortunately dell has locked all bios versions with undervolt protection. 1.0.1 to 1.3 which is the latest are locked. I have to decide now what to do.

unclewebb

My i9 13900kf is locked to 253w
What does ThrottleStop report when you are running Cinebench? Does Limit Reasons show power limit throttling or EDP throttling? The power consumption number is not what is holding you back if it is an EDP throttling problem.

Unfortunately dell has locked all bios versions with undervolt protection.
This is likely the future for all manufacturers. No more undervolting.

mva94

What does ThrottleStop report when you are running Cinebench? Does Limit Reasons show power limit throttling or EDP throttling? The power consumption number is not what is holding you back if it is an EDP throttling problem.

This is likely the future for all manufacturers. No more undervolting.
No with cinebench r23 it's power throttle in my case, 253w cannot go above , the edp thing is while gaming with very frequency on core , my understanding is that Dell locked the i9 13900kf but they don't support the i9 13900ks which they don't sell, so they probably didn't think anyone would try to use a higher end cpu and they didn't put any hardware/software lock on both tdp and edp ? Since he doesn't have these issues , though when he puts the 13900kf in, same issues again

Edit: with very high frequency *

unclewebb

it's power throttle in my case, 253w
What does ThrottleStop or new HWiNFO show for the power limits?

There are 3 sets of turbo power limits. I assume that Dell is using an embedded controller (EC) to limit the CPU to 253W. This limit is different than the MSR or MMIO limits that ThrottleStop gives you access to. The EC can also be used to force a current limit.

mva94

What does ThrottleStop or new HWiNFO show for the power limits?

There are 3 sets of turbo power limits. I assume that Dell is using an embedded controller (EC) to limit the CPU to 253W. This limit is different than the MSR or MMIO limits that ThrottleStop gives you access to. The EC can also be used to force a current limit.
Screenshot_20230502_181919_Samsung Internet.jpg

253w for pl1 and pl2
Cannot put it any higher nothing will work,
He straight of the box has pl1 300w pl2 450 with the i9 13900ks, though when he puts the i9 13900kf back it goes back down to 253/253 like me
Could it be that the EC cannot write any limits on the i9 13900ks?

unclewebb

253w for pl1 and pl2
What happens when you use ThrottleStop to set the MSR and MMIO power limits to 300W? Run Cinebench and watch for PL1 or PL2 lighting up red in Limit Reasons. Better yet, run a log file. Do you still get throttling at 253W when ThrottleStop is set to 300W?

1683045900112.png

mva94

What happens when you use ThrottleStop to set the MSR and MMIO power limits to 300W? Run Cinebench and watch for PL1 or PL2 lighting up red in Limit Reasons. Better yet, run a log file. Do you still get throttling at 253W when ThrottleStop is set to 300W?
Yes I got this look
Screenshot_20230502_184700_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230502_184627_Samsung Internet.jpg

unclewebb

1683046174839.png

Your screenshot shows that the two power limits are still set to 253W. HWiNFO does not update some items in real time. Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL window instead so I can see your power limits, what is requested and what the CPU is using. Unlike HWiNFO, ThrottleStop updates in real time.

When you make a change in ThrottleStop, you have to restart HWiNFO to see the change. Use the latest HWiNFO beta version so you can see both power limits.

Edit - For screenshots use the Windows Key + Shift + S
When you hold those three keys down, the Snip tool should open up. Draw a box around the image on your desktop you want a picture of. You can use CTRL + V to paste the image into a forum or into Paint.

snakebit

Hello there,

may I request Throttlestop 9.5.1? I got a Legion today with the 13900hx

Thanks a lot

jammey123

Any idea when official 9.5.1 will be released? Got a 13900hx too which might need some tinkering. If there's a version out there already could you send it?

mva94

Got it !!!! Fixed it with xtu !!!! I can set iccmax to unlimited !!!
Why doesn't it work with throttlestop ?
Power is now 300w instead of 250 !!
@unclewebb
20230503_211938.jpg
20230503_211930.jpg

unclewebb

Why doesn't it work with throttlestop ?
I am not sure how you had ThrottleStop setup. The last TPL screenshot you posted showed the MSR and MMIO power limits were both set to 253W. Did you try setting the power limits appropriately and did you try checking the MMIO Lock box? That might help with the EDP issue you were having.

Your XTU screenshot above shows a 13900KS processor. I thought you had a 13900KF. Did you swap your CPU?

If Intel XTU is working for you then use that.

noltej

Hi,

Could I please try out a copy of Throttlestop 9.5.1 Beta? I recently received my AlienWare 16 R1 with an Intel i9-13900HX CPU and NVidia RTX 4070 GPU.

Thank you in advance.

mva94

I am not sure how you had ThrottleStop setup. The last TPL screenshot you posted showed the MSR and MMIO power limits were both set to 253W. Did you try setting the power limits appropriately and did you try checking the MMIO Lock box? That might help with the EDP issue you were having.

Your XTU screenshot above shows a 13900KS processor. I thought you had a 13900KF. Did you swap your CPU?

If Intel XTU is working for you then use that.
Yes I swapped it though it didn't solve the issue, only xtu allows iccmax change , why does it not work with throttlestop? I would much rather do it with throttlestop

drinkjetfuel

May I please have a copy of the 9.5.1 beta? I just received a Legion Pro 7 with a 13900hx. Thank you!

Hi,

Could I please try out a copy of Throttlestop 9.5.1 Beta? I recently received my AlienWare 16 R1 with an Intel i9-13900HX CPU and NVidia RTX 4070 GPU.

Thank you in advance.
Good luck all my friends and I returned our dell m16 and m18s undervolt is locked. Their overclock feature actually undervolts the vid by 100mv Max not enough

unclewebb

why does it not work with throttlestop?
No insider documentation from Intel and no hardware might be why Intel XTU can do things that ThrottleStop cannot.

Did you try anything that I suggested? You need to show me a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL and FIVR windows if you are having a problem. HWiNFO is a great program but what it reports does not help me because HWiNFO does not report or update the CPU power limits in real time.

If you make a change, I need to see an updated picture of what you changed in ThrottleStop. Saying something doesn't work doesn't help me unless I can see what you changed. If the CPU is power limit throttling, show me the Limit Reasons screen while the CPU is loaded running Cinebench. Show me the TPL window so I can see your requested power limits.

only xtu allows iccmax change
ThrottleStop allows IccMax change up to 511.75 for the core and the cache. This should be the same as what XTU allows. The problem is there might be a separate current limit register that Intel XTU has access to and ThrottleStop does not. If that is the case, without documentation or hardware, I will not be able to fix that problem. Did you try checking the MMIO Lock box?

Spider3294

Вы правы, что ThrottleStop был разработан в основном для ноутбуков, но он должен корректно работать на настольных или мобильных процессорах. Если вы когда-нибудь увидите что-то, что не работает, дайте мне знать, чтобы я мог исправить проблему.

Проверьте свои сообщения. Я только что отправил вам ссылку для скачивания. Если вы заинтересованы в бета-тестировании ThrottleStop 9.5.1, опубликуйте несколько скриншотов новой версии, чтобы я мог увидеть, правильно ли она работает на вашем процессоре 13-го поколения. У меня еще нет оборудования 13-го поколения для тестирования, поэтому мне нужна помощь сообщества пользователей. Спасибо.
Hello, may I ask you to send me a link for TS 9.5.1? I have got Lenovo Legion 7i pro with i9 13900HX and RTX 4080. I want to test it. Thank you :).

wicked123

No insider documentation from Intel and no hardware might be why Intel XTU can do things that ThrottleStop cannot.

Did you try anything that I suggested? You need to show me a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL and FIVR windows if you are having a problem. HWiNFO is a great program but what it reports does not help me because HWiNFO does not report or update the CPU power limits in real time.

If you make a change, I need to see an updated picture of what you changed in ThrottleStop. Saying something doesn't work doesn't help me unless I can see what you changed. If the CPU is power limit throttling, show me the Limit Reasons screen while the CPU is loaded running Cinebench. Show me the TPL window so I can see your requested power limits.

ThrottleStop allows IccMax change up to 511.75 for the core and the cache. This should be the same as what XTU allows. The problem is there might be a separate current limit register that Intel XTU has access to and ThrottleStop does not. If that is the case, without documentation or hardware, I will not be able to fix that problem. Did you try checking the MMIO Lock box?
Hello unclewebb, Can you send me the link for TS 9.5.1 I have I5-13400f CPU? I would like to become beta tester. Thank you !

unclewebb

I5-13400f
I am not sure of what FIVR options are available in the locked, non K series, CPUs. I will send you a download link. Post a FIVR screenshot. It will show Not Available in the FIVR window if Intel has removed the undervolt features.

NeroAugustus

Hello! Could I please get a link to the 9.5.1 throttlestop? I got a Blade 16

Btw thanks a lot unclewebb been using throttlestop since the XPS 15 9550 days in like 2016!

wicked123

@unclewebb yup. It shows Not available in the FIVR windows which removed undervolt features. It is normal if i5-13400F came with PROCHOT OFFSET 15 which means at 85 temp already throttle?

Attachments

• fivr.PNG
    fivr.PNG
    62.3 KB · Views: 83