• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon X800 Non-Pro/X800 XL/X850 Voltmods

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
26,870 (3.72/day)
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
penciling right on the pcb shouldnt be too hard and you can just measure between the solder blobs
 

daysleeper

New Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
24 (0.00/day)
Location
Haapavesi,Finland
W1zzard said:
penciling right on the pcb shouldnt be too hard and you can just measure between the solder blobs
yep i know that but what the measuring result should be (about)??
 

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
AllBrain said:
Well I have found the two tech docs for the chips on my non-standard Gecube X800XL PCB. Can someone have a look at them please?

Memory
GPU

AllBrain ... for the memory check the resistance between pins 3 & 6 with the card out of the case and then check any traces from pin 6 that lead to a resistor with the same ohm reading.. for the GPU try the same thing with pins 4 & 12
 

musk

New Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
2 (0.00/day)
Memory limits

How high can I go on the Memory voltage VDDQ and Vdimm for an x850xt pe?

I think they are 2.1v by default. I am at 2.2v on each. I have them sinked with lots of air flow. Can currently run at 651mhz.

Any recommendations?

musk
 
S

Super XP

Guest
ATI Radeon X800XL into X800XT /PE or X850XT /PE

Can the X800 XL be flashed into a X800XT /PE or X850XT /PE ?

Also, instead of the pensil MOD, can you just use a little wire for connecting & use heat glue to hold it in place? Anyway, I havent turned on the PC yet until I get an answer. Thanks.








--------------------------
Athlon 64 3200+(90nm)@ 2.70GHz
OCZ EL GOLD Dual Ch DDR540 512MB X 2 (CL 2-2-2-8 @ 1T).
DFI LAN Party nF4 Ultra- D

My Extreme Custom Water Cooling Review
http://www.geocities.com/nt300/WCReview01.html
http://www.ntmultivitamin.com
http://www.geocities.com/superxpfx/VideoBoyPC
 

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
Super XP said:
Can the X800 XL be flashed into a X800XT /PE or X850XT /PE ?

Also, instead of the pensil MOD, can you just use a little wire for connecting & use heat glue to hold it in place? Anyway, I havent turned on the PC yet until I get an answer. Thanks.



--------------------------
Athlon 64 3200+(90nm)@ 2.70GHz
OCZ EL GOLD Dual Ch DDR540 512MB X 2 (CL 2-2-2-8 @ 1T).
DFI LAN Party nF4 Ultra- D

My Extreme Custom Water Cooling Review
http://www.geocities.com/nt300/WCReview01.html
http://www.ntmultivitamin.com
http://www.geocities.com/superxpfx/VideoBoyPC

Super ... NOOOOOO!!!!!!! ... just a wire will short it out ... all the pencil mod does is lower the resistence to increase voltage ... just a wire does not work!!!
 
Last edited:

ReconCX

New Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
400 (0.06/day)
Location
California
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 480
Storage Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD x2
Display(s) ASUS VH242H 23.6"
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Trooper
Power Supply COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W
Software Microsoft® Windows 8 Professional
... what is that box on top of your computer? lol ^_^
 
S

Super XP

Guest
Thanks for the Reply.............

Urlyin said:
Cooler for has water rig ..


Thank You Urlyin,

This is why I did not turn on my PC yet until I get an answer from you guys. O.K. I will take out the Wire's & heat Glue & either do a pencil Mod or use a Variable Resistor & follow the Instructions given.

Oh, that box is my custom made Radiator Reservoir. It tends to keep the RAD nice & cool. But I am not yet finished with it. ;)

I'll post back with my results.
Thanks Again.

Here is an Older Pick of it.................................

 

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
Super XP said:
Can the X800 XL be flashed into a X800XT /PE or X850XT /PE ?

They have different cores Super.. I don't think it would work...
 
Last edited:
S

Super XP

Guest
Urlyin said:
They have different cores Super.. I don't think you it would work...

O.K. Cool.

Reason I am asking is because on the GPU itself, it says X800 Pro but the Graphic's Card is X800 XL, that is why I was asking.


Thanks Guys.
 

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
Super XP said:
O.K. Cool.

Reason I am asking is because on the GPU itself, it says X800 Pro but the Graphic's Card is X800 XL, that is why I was asking.


Thanks Guys.

Super read through this thread
 

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
musk said:
How high can I go on the Memory voltage VDDQ and Vdimm for an x850xt pe?

I think they are 2.1v by default. I am at 2.2v on each. I have them sinked with lots of air flow. Can currently run at 651mhz.

Any recommendations?

musk

I'd hold up there Musk ... 651 on mem is flying ... done any benching yet?
 

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
daysleeper said:
yep i know that but what the measuring result should be (about)??

Day ... how are you making out?
 

musk

New Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
2 (0.00/day)
Urlyin said:
I'd hold up there Musk ... 651 on mem is flying ... done any benching yet?

Urlyin,

I have done some benches.

05 Here
03 Here

I reread the main article and it says up to 2.45v for VDD. Is that right?

Thanks for the respone.

musk
 

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
musk said:
Urlyin,

I have done some benches.

05 Here
03 Here

I reread the main article and it says up to 2.45v for VDD. Is that right?

Thanks for the respone.

musk

Musk 2.45v is extreme and will produce some hot RAM chips so do be careful .. Again you'll be at the edge so take care ....

Your benchmarks are smokin and on top of the DFI runing stock 200 FSB (nice board) :D
It also says in the article to find a stopping point and not to over do it .... you might want to try to OC that NF4 DFI MOBO and that'll help in increasing your score ;)
 

AllBrain

New Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
6 (0.00/day)
Location
Cape Town, South Africa
Yesterday I decided to finally buy a multi-meter for myself. So armed with my new multi-meter, knowledge from fellow voltmodders and tech docs, I started to work on my graphics card. Since I do not have the same PCB layout than the other makes, I had to some improvising. So here is what I did...

1. I used the same voltage measuring points than the above guide and found the following to me true:
Vgpu - 1.36V
Vdd - 2.05V
Vddq - 2.05V

2. Now I used the knowledge and tech docs I have acquired to find the right resistors to penci downl. At this point I did not know which of the two IC’s controlled what. So I started with the RT9214 IC and found two resistors connected with Pin 6. (Pin 6 is the one you need to trick by making it think that it is not giving enough voltage by reducing the resistance on the connected resistors.) So I penciled the one resistor down a little and found the Vgpu to stay at 1,36V but the Vdd and Vddq when down to 1.96V. This sounds like a step backwards and it is but at least now I knew which IC controlled what. Next I tried the other resistor on Pin 6 and to my amazement the Vdd and Vddq both went up to 2.10V.

3. Next up is the RT9256 IC. This IC can control two separate devices and thus has two pins that you can fool but since it is only contolling one device, I only had to work with one pin. And that was Pin 4. Once again this pin had two resistors connected to it and like always, I go pencil the wrong one. After kicking myself for reducing the Vgpu to 1.26V, I penciled down the other resistor just a little bit and the Vgpu shot up to 1.48V. Quite a big increase for a small amount of graphite.

And with that I have found the voltmods for my card all by myself. I would like to thank the people that gave my advice and encouragement.
 
Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
AllBrain said:
Yesterday I decided to finally buy a multi-meter for myself. So armed with my new multi-meter, knowledge from fellow voltmodders and tech docs, I started to work on my graphics card. Since I do not have the same PCB layout than the other makes, I had to some improvising. So here is what I did...

1. I used the same voltage measuring points than the above guide and found the following to me true:
Vgpu - 1.36V
Vdd - 2.05V
Vddq - 2.05V

2. Now I used the knowledge and tech docs I have acquired to find the right resistors to penci downl. At this point I did not know which of the two IC’s controlled what. So I started with the RT9214 IC and found two resistors connected with Pin 6. (Pin 6 is the one you need to trick by making it think that it is not giving enough voltage by reducing the resistance on the connected resistors.) So I penciled the one resistor down a little and found the Vgpu to stay at 1,36V but the Vdd and Vddq when down to 1.96V. This sounds like a step backwards and it is but at least now I knew which IC controlled what. Next I tried the other resistor on Pin 6 and to my amazement the Vdd and Vddq both went up to 2.10V.

3. Next up is the RT9256 IC. This IC can control two separate devices and thus has two pins that you can fool but since it is only contolling one device, I only had to work with one pin. And that was Pin 4. Once again this pin had two resistors connected to it and like always, I go pencil the wrong one. After kicking myself for reducing the Vgpu to 1.26V, I penciled down the other resistor just a little bit and the Vgpu shot up to 1.48V. Quite a big increase for a small amount of graphite.

And with that I have found the voltmods for my card all by myself. I would like to thank the people that gave my advice and encouragement.

Great news AllBrain ... I replied to your message several post back... use ATITool to set the fan to 100% which can lower temps 5c-7c degrees ....
 

AllBrain

New Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
6 (0.00/day)
Location
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Urlyin. I am running on water, so it does not really matter. Thanks anyway...
Here is a pic of the right and wrong resistors to pencil. Green right and Yellow wrong:
 
Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
AllBrain said:
Hi Urlyin. I am running on water, so it does not really matter. Thanks anyway...
Here is a pic of the right and wrong resistors to pencil. Green right and Yellow wrong:

... even better ... what speeds are you running at? and what water cooler are you using? I think that's going to be my next project ... goin H20 ... congrats on the vmod and thanks for sharing :D
 
Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
Super XP said:
O.K. Cool.

Reason I am asking is because on the GPU itself, it says X800 Pro but the Graphic's Card is X800 XL, that is why I was asking.


Thanks Guys.

I read your water review ... :) nice work ....
 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
4,042 (0.58/day)
Location
Ancient Greece, Acropolis (Time Lord)
System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Urlyin said:
I read your water review ... :) nice work ....

Well, that is great. I really value your Opinion & input.

Thanks for all the help.
Super XP
 

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,272 (0.32/day)
Super XP said:
Well, that is great. I really value your Opinion & input.

Thanks for all the help.
Super XP

I was think about getting the Zalman Reserator here which is a okay kit, not for extreme cooling ... but like you I would enjoy creating it myself :) ... more fun that way ... I did pick up some ideas from the article (thanks) ... I have a question about the rad on the top of the box with the fans, from what I can see it's enclosed in the box... so with the fans blowing down where does the airflow go and if reversed where does it pull fresh air from? ...
 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
4,042 (0.58/day)
Location
Ancient Greece, Acropolis (Time Lord)
System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Urlyin said:
I was think about getting the Zalman Reserator here which is a okay kit, not for extreme cooling ... but like you I would enjoy creating it myself :) ... more fun that way ... I did pick up some ideas from the article (thanks) ... I have a question about the rad on the top of the box with the fans, from what I can see it's enclosed in the box... so with the fans blowing down where does the airflow go and if reversed where does it pull fresh air from? ...


It sucks fresh air from the top & blows out the air in the bottom back.

I'm going to cover the front fans with some sort of foam or something to keep away dust from getting into the RAD finns & to control the sound when on Full Speed.
 
Top