• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Real Temp Feature Requests

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
that would be a good idea. That way i have something other than the tab min. In order to know my temps. Anything other than having it min. In the task bar would be great

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Good idea. The Vista Widget is somewhere on the things to do list. The latest beta has a feature where you can double left click on the GUI and shrink it down so it shows only the important information. It takes up less screen real estate but is easy to read unlike some of the widgets I've seen.

You can also drag it anywhere you want on the screen. Not as sexy as a widget but more practical and it keeps the XP guys happy.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Good idea. The Vista Widget is somewhere on the things to do list. The latest beta has a feature where you can double left click on the GUI and shrink it down so it shows only the important information. It takes up less screen real estate but is easy to read unlike some of the widgets I've seen.

You can also drag it anywhere you want on the screen. Not as sexy as a widget but more practical and it keeps the XP guys happy.

That sounds good man. Glad its like that, and waiting to download the beta. See whats going on with it. I do got to say I prefer that over Core Temp any day

BTW: Unclewebb, are you the creator or one that has been doing it??? I have seen on other sites you pointing Real Temp people to TPU, so I was wondering.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
unclewebb is the author and sole programmer of realtemp. techpowerup is just hosting it. i am personally not involved in the coding process.

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-

unclewebb

I do got to say I prefer that over Core Temp any day

I like hearing stuff like that! :toast:

I originally introduced RealTemp over at XS. RealTemp has some new theories about core temperatures as well as some different TjMax values so I thought it would be wise to try and win over some of the hard core guys first so I headed to XS at the beginning of March. The feedback there has been excellent and their suggestions have really helped in the development of useful features for RealTemp. I'm hoping to add a temperature alarm feature before the next major release for those that like to run Prime or do some stress testing while watching TV or whatever.

W1zzard offered to host RT and introduced it to a new crowd and that's worked out very well also. I'm not just saying this to suck up to W1zzard but I find myself checking out TechPowerUp more and more each day. Lots of useful information recently about the new ATI/AMD graphics cards as well as plenty of no BS reviews. I like that.

Only problem is that there's so much good stuff to read that I don't have enough time left over to work on RealTemp. :)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
another interesting feature would be some sort of indicator if the cpu overheated and clocked down while realtemp was running

edit: sent you info on how to read thermal throttling status

Last edited:

unclewebb

another interesting feature would be some sort of indicator if the cpu overheated and clocked down while realtemp was running

The PROCHOT# bit within a Core processor is supposed to do just that and RealTemp reports that at the bottom under PROCHOT# - Status / History. If the Status box is lit up that shows that thermal throttling is presently taking place and the History box beside it provides a record of thermal throttling. That box is designed to keep track of a thermal throttling episode until the next you re-boot which will clear it.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Well, I do thank you Unclewebb about allowing us to be sort of "test group" for this tool. I was introduced to it about Mid April by a few people. The program is a good one to use. I really like it since it allows you to reset the temps, and test out your sensors.
I'm glad w1zz is doing what he is doing. :toast:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
The PROCHOT# bit within a Core processor is supposed to do just that and RealTemp reports that at the bottom under PROCHOT# - Status / History. If the Status box is lit up that shows that thermal throttling is presently taking place and the History box beside it provides a record of thermal throttling. That box is designed to keep track of a thermal throttling episode until the next you re-boot which will clear it.

oh ok .. sorry about requesting an already existing feature :)

unclewebb

No problem W1zz. I think this will explain PROCHOT#. Here's the testing I did during early development of RealTemp.

I took my original E6400 up to TjMax and a little beyond and got this.

The Status box shows that the processor is presently throttling on both cores. PROCHOT# is independent for each core so you can have situations where only 1 out of 4 cores is throttling.

Here, the History box is also lit up. RealTemp is the only program I know of that continues to calculate a core temperature when beyond TjMax. CoreTemp and Everest just wave a white flag!

After things cool down you can see that the processor is no longer throttling but there remains a record of what just happened in the History box.

The Maximum temperature box also confirms that there was some trouble and at exactly what time it happened at.

Even after going and clicking on the Reset button and resetting the Min and Max temps, there is still evidence of thermal throttling. Edit: This version of RT didn't have a Reset button so it looks like I must have restarted RealTemp.

You have to power down or re-boot before this bit gets cleared out of the CPU. It makes you wonder how much other information is stored in some secret non-volatile ram within the processor. When you RMA a processor maybe Intel knows a lot more about what's been going on with it than you think!

Last edited:

rockin'male

Hi Everyone!

This is my very first post on this site.

Since, I stumbled onto this site by just plainly surfing. I had to register and give unclewebb a big thumbs up for all his hard work on this awesome program. This program blows all the others out of the water. After reading a big majority of all the posts. This program is tops in my book.:respect:

Now,
Since im in the suggestion area, I have some thoughts i would like to bring up.

Of course, the idea of the vista gaget would be awesome. What i would like to propose is a multicolored temp display. As the temps get closer to tjmax, the color of the numbers would change. Anything above 20 is green, Yellow is between 10-19, and red is 0-9 (maybe even flashing to catch your attention)????? This would give the user a quick visual without having to comprehend what number it is.

Also, since people like to leave their systems unattended while running benchmarks/etc. A automatic shutdown feature might be nice. Plus, It could be fully customized to the users tastes.

Here's my crazy ideas.......Im sure there's more to come.

Keep up the awesome work and i'll do my best to spread the word about realtemp.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro

I wish it would read sub-zero temps.:)

A vista Sidebar Widget would be very nice!!!!!!

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
A sidebar widget would be great, I've been looking for something like that for a while but to no avail.

W

wolf2009

a big thumbs up from me for the soft.

but i still dont know if this program reads the temps for 45nm processors correctly .

unclewebb

I wish it would read sub-zero temps.:)

It does! Don't blame the software if it doesn't. RealTemp can theoretically read core temps as low as -32C but unfortunately the sensor it is reading usually gets stuck before the temperature can get that low. Blame Intel for that.

wolf2009: I still don't know if this program reads the temps for 45nm processors correctly.

The processor I had in my computer during initial development was an early E8400. Here is the CPU I used during testing back in February.

Anyone that has used RealTemp has seen this same processor because it's part of the icon:

The whole motivation behind RealTemp was I wanted some accurate temperatures for my 45nm E8400. I was so fed up with what other temp programs were telling me that I finally decided to write my own. I even tried to contact the programmer of CoreTemp before I started to get him to at least use the correct TjMax but my request was ignored.

I definitely didn't hold anything back during testing.

All tests show that RealTemp reads my E8400 within a degree or two of the real temperature from 15C in my cool basement to beyond TjMax which was at 95C. I have some good tests posted over on the XS forum but unfortunately that site is down at the moment. I'll post some links for you when they're back up or better yet I'll just copy and paste one of my E8400 tests here. The current version of RealTemp has more calibration options than the first version so accuracy for all processors has only improved since its initial release.

Edit: Here's a link to a test I did on an E2160. I realize this isn't 45nm but hopefully the thoroughness of this test will show you that I did put a little bit of research into RealTemp before it was written as well as after.

Recently at XS, another user with a 45nm Quad told me how skeptical he was about RealTemp. With an open mind, he read the docs, read through some of the 70 page forum at XS, did the calibration tests that are outlined in the docs here at TechPowerUp and came to the conclusion that RealTemp is giving him the most realistic temp numbers. The best thing you can do is read some of the 70 page novel over at XS until your eyes are sore and then do your own testing and come to your own conclusions.

There are a lot of 45nm processors with sensor issues. If a sensor is stuck and not functioning properly at idle then there isn't much any software can do with that. If the sensors aren't stuck then the temperatures reported by RealTemp after calibration should be very close to reality across the entire temperature range. None of the competition can claim that.

When the abuse was over I installed a Tuniq and made sure that there was nothing wrong with this CPU. :D

Last edited:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
I have to say that the soft does work.

My bios in speed fan during normal temps is WAY OFF, and your program works like a charm.

Branes

An overclocker fiend recommended this to me, and there's some features I'd like to see:

- a setting to allow loading of RealTemp at startup time (ie, adding it as a startup entry into the Registry) instead of relying on dragging a shortcut into Startup Items
- an option that hides / minimises the app to the system tray (if 'Tray Info' is enabled) instead of quitting it if the close box is clicked
- some kind of alarm (visual (change colour in system tray would be ace) or audible) that can be set to go off when the core(s) reach a user-defined percentage of the maximum operating temperature

unclewebb

Branes: I hate adding anything to a users Registry but I will probably add this option some time.

If you want RT to Minimize then click on the Minimize gadget and if you want it to close then click on the Close gadget. I know some programs like SpeedFan Minimize when you click on the close gadget. Maybe I will create a user option so you can decide which way you like it.

I'm just thinking over your idea at the moment about having the system tray icons change color if a user defined high temp alarm is reached. This feature is in the very near future. Thanks for your suggestions.

System Name Brutus
Processor AMD Ryzen 5600X PBO
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling EKWB AIO 240MM Push-Pull fans
Memory Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 4000 32GB (4x8) @4066 CL16, Custom Timings
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1080Ti FE OC
Storage Kingston A2000 500GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 24" S24D300 + 2x LG LED 24"
Case Cooler Master H500
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional
Power Supply Sama Forza Modular 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Cooler Master Master Keys Lite
Keyboard Cooler Master Master Keys Lite
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
It would be nice the "gamer mode" changed a bit cos the overlay on top-right of the screen, when I load a game goes on-off-on-off very fast and it is a bit annoying sometimes.

Last edited:

unclewebb

Gamer Mode has been retired for the moment. The way I was doing it was not the right way to do it.
I might try using RivaTuner when Gamer Mode returns.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
That sounds like a good idea. Knowing it as being TPU, you might be able to get ATitool to work with it. I can't even think of the thought of you and w1zz doing something like that! :toast:

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
CPU/GPU temp reading program that OC's gpu's would be awesome

System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
A feature for keyboards with LCD's to display temps *cough G15 :D* would be nice...but it can be one on the "to do" list, as it isnt that important.

BTW - using real temp for CPU cooler review benchmarks now :). Ill add a link / brief description about real temp in every review.