• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 GTO² to X850 XT BIOS Mod

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Those temperatures are fine, 80c should be about the maximum temperature you get, any further than that, and you can start doing damage. But ATI rates the core for 100c, and an absolute max of 120c (at which point the core will start breaking down).

Yes, the 3d window and artifact scanning in ATITool is pretty much the heaviest load you can put on the card, so it's normal to see higher temperatures than you would in a game. :)

Shens

thanks for the reply. i'll think i'll leave it now until i can run through this thread and see how much most people are upping their cards by.

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
just hit the find max buttons, and let atitool do it's thing ;) Just stop if the temperatures get too high. There is a big variation between maximum clocks on the x800gto2, some older ones get around 600/610, and the newer ones seem to get around 540/610, and the r430 ones, get a max of 460/570. ATITool basically loads the card, then slowly increases the frequency, while checking for errors, when it finds an error, it will start backing off a bit, so you don't need to worry about going too far.

Your unlikely to damage your card unless 1. The temperature gets too high (100c +) 2. You voltmod it to some stupid voltage.

Have fun :)

Shens

i have a r480 core - some people have told me not to let ati tool do that because it can damage my card. It's extremely confusing having all sorts of different answers to my questions.

I think I'll try find max core/memory, although what temperature should I be aiming for? I was thinking I shouldn't be going any more than 45 degrees c under no load so that will make it about 55 or so playing games. Not sure if that's about right. I am very poorly knowledged when it comes to overclocking. :(

at the moment im at 425/520 - default is set at 400/490 :p so still some way to go.

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
infrared said:
Those temperatures are fine, 80c should be about the maximum temperature you get, any further than that, and you can start doing damage. But ATI rates the core for 100c, and an absolute max of 120c (at which point the core will start breaking down).
infrared said:
Your unlikely to damage your card unless 1. The temperature gets too high (100c +) 2. You voltmod it to some stupid voltage.

75-80c should be your max, 45c is very unrealistic, and even at stock speeds and a good cooler is hard to obtain.

Some of the new beta versions of atitool didn't have working artifact detection, and would just keep increasing the core and memory. That's probably why people were telling you to overclock your card manually. With the 0.24 version your using, there is no problem with this, but while it's working, keep an eye on the 3d box. If yellow dots start appearing, and atitool doesn't back off, abort the find max, and drop the frequency a bit, and continue manually. Don't worry too much about damaging your card, it's very difficult to do by just raising the frequenies. If you do go too far, your computer usually crashes, and restarts with stock speeds again ;)

Last edited:

narsil

hi all i been reading this with interest (took hours lol) and had my eye on a gto2 for a while

i finally got the cash for new mobo (asus a8n32-sli) and said card which i expecting today or 2morrow...but i still have few questions i in need of help with

the card i ordered is sapphire gto2 dual dvi vivo........

by the sounds of it this looks like a safe bet with it showing up as r430 core but in reality is 480 with all 16 pipes enabled

so if this is the case do i need to change any bios?

does wot card show as core have any impact on performance?

or if all being well can i just burn the card in and oc it.

this assuming i get the right card , i will find out soon :)

sorry for silly question but my head kinda in a spin after soo many posts

thanks

agapecpus

Help me unlock my pipes.

Here are my specs
connect3d X800GTO 256MB PCIe VIVO
One VGA/One DVI
Chip: R430
Core OC: 648
Memory OC: 615 (1230)
Idle Temp: 43C

I got to say I am pretty happy with the results thus far. I have yet to push it or bench it but thats whats next. Looking through the forums it does seem like I can unlock the last 4 pipes. I followed the guide that you guys laid out flashed the bios but it was a no go. ATI Tool still reported only 12 pipes. Reflashed with orginal bios. I uploaded stats of the FUSES from ATI Tools and my backup of the orginal bios. Feel free to mod my orginal bios or let me know which bios I should flash on this card. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• OLDBIOS.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 595
  • sshot-1.jpg
    sshot-1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 740
  • sshot-2.jpg
    sshot-2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 712
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
narsil said:
hi all i been reading this with interest (took hours lol) and had my eye on a gto2 for a while

i finally got the cash for new mobo (asus a8n32-sli) and said card which i expecting today or 2morrow...but i still have few questions i in need of help with

the card i ordered is sapphire gto2 dual dvi vivo........

by the sounds of it this looks like a safe bet with it showing up as r430 core but in reality is 480 with all 16 pipes enabled

so if this is the case do i need to change any bios?

does wot card show as core have any impact on performance?

or if all being well can i just burn the card in and oc it.

this assuming i get the right card , i will find out soon :)

sorry for silly question but my head kinda in a spin after soo many posts

thanks

Quite a lot of new x800gto2's now use an R430 core. You will be able to identify this by the blue pcb used, in which case you will probably only get a max core clock of around 450mhz, but lets keep our fingers crossed that ur get the R480 one.

It's really up to you if you decide to flash the bios to make the card show as an x850xt(pe), some people have reported a small increase in performance, perhaps because the core is correctly recognised as r480. Personally i just think it looks kewl when you open the device manager and it reports that you have an "x850xt platinum edtion".

Anyway, when you get it, open atitool, and see what it can do :D

Good luck ;)

agapecpus said:
Here are my specs
connect3d X800GTO 256MB PCIe VIVO
One VGA/One DVI
Chip: R430
Core OC: 648
Memory OC: 615 (1230)
Idle Temp: 43C

I got to say I am pretty happy with the results thus far. I have yet to push it or bench it but thats whats next. Looking through the forums it does seem like I can unlock the last 4 pipes. I followed the guide that you guys laid out flashed the bios but it was a no go. ATI Tool still reported only 12 pipes. Reflashed with orginal bios. I uploaded stats of the FUSES from ATI Tools and my backup of the orginal bios. Feel free to mod my orginal bios or let me know which bios I should flash on this card. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hmmm, you have an 'E' on the last character of the bottom line of fuse data. This usually indicates the last quad of pipelines can't be unlocked, at least not by bios flashing. You should try contacting dolf, and see what he thinks about your fuse data, you might be in luck.

Sorry for the bad news anyway.

narsil

thanks for the reply infrared (glad i got your attention) :)

it is indeed the red pcb and ati tool says r430 with 16 pipes enabled
fuses read
CONFIG_DIE 0xFFFFFFFF
CONFIG_SUBSTRATE 0xFFFFFF9F (these 480? i read other guide but it confusing)

i not going to change the bios until i check temps and see how far it goes. can u tell me how to do this? i cant seem to see how to with ati tool

also i presume i must load new clock speeds evertime i boot

EDIT- i found temp :) wot would u recommed as highest temp to set

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
The highest temperature you should go to is about 80c, if it goes above that, drop back a bit.

A useful feature of ATITool is the fan control in settings. To begin with, set the fan to 100%, then use the 'find max core/mem' buttons on atitool. Start of with the core, the 3d view will open and stress the card, while the frequencies are slowy raised. When it starts finding errors, atitool will lower the frequency until it's found the highest stable overclock. After about 20 minutes, click abort, note down the core frequency, then lower it by about 10mhz . Then click find max mem, and let it find the maximum memory. Once you know the two stable maximum frequencies, you can move the sliders, and set them manually.

You definatly have the r480 core, so you can normally expect a core speed of 550mhz or more. And around 600mhz on the memory ;)

Good luck :)

narsil

i tried what u said and i got core up tp 490 but i got a heat prob with my new mb, see this post
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11771

and it gets to 45c when core was on 490 this caused warnings from asus probe so i stopped

i touched nb and sb etc but theydont feel that hot so maybe i need to get a proprt temp probe or something to be sure

until i sort out this issue i wont be ocing anything but good news is it definetly seems like 480 core :)

bortos

SAPPHIRE X800 GTO² LIMITED EDITION vivo dual dvi

This card came with 16 pipes out of the box. I put arctic silver on the R480 core and the 1.6ns ram. Using the atitool I can O/C to 525/580 with stable results. Idle at 40C.

Is there any benefit to flash the bios on this setup? Will it O/C more if I do?

Did anyone figure out if making the r480 show up as a r480 instead of r430 made any difference?

Thanks much.

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
It doesn't really make much difference at all, but just looks cool having the card show as an x850.

hmm, be careful with the AS5 on the memory, if any gets underneath the chips, it will kill it. The best thermal grease to use on the memory is Arctic Ceramique.

You could get a better cooler for it, the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer's are very good coolers, and well priced. This will help your overclock quite a bit, and keep temps way down.

~IR

bortos

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
yeah, arcticlean is brilliant stuff, those who say they don't like it havn't tried it!!

Nice price on that silencer... I wish i lived in america so i could use newegg :(

jetblue_xt

hi.. im kind of new to this.. i just got reatial x800 gto card..
before i flashed it, i verifed everything through ati tools for the strigns and it mached.. heres the problem
i tried flashing with flashrom which doesn't seem to work at all...
then i tried atiflash and it seemed like it worked but the monitor will not turn on...
it doesn't beep or anything..
also, i edit the bin files where i changed the string to "60" to open all pipes..and saved it in hex editor.. can anyone post their modified 16 pipe bin file with stock clock speeds..
or maybe someone can help me and tell me what im' doing wrong.
also, im' running win xp pro sp 2 ep 8rda+ mobo also installed ati cats 6.5..
1 more thing, i also tried using the techpowerup's bin for for 16 pipes. when i download it i just renamed it to 16pipe...
thanks in advance.

Marvin

Hi, it is my first post here. I have a powercolor 800GTO, but i dont know if i can activate the 16 pipelines.
Anyone have an idea ?
Thanks

Oorworm

Is it still possible to flash a x800pro to a x850 xt pe?
Which card work these days, cause maybe there are some new ones out.
It should replace my 6600gt agp.

Do you need an other cooler on the card when you flash it to an x850 xt pe?

Regards
Oor

dowser

Hi All,

Recently bought a new and boxed Sapphire Radeon x800 gto2 - when I ran the ATITool against it, it already shows up as running 16 pipelines :) I assume this means I am free to try overclocking now, and there is no need to do anything with the card's BIOS?

Cheers, Richard

saigonson

Help me flash Asus x850 Pro PCIE to XT

Hi All,

I am trying to find a way to flash my Asus X850 Pro PCI-e to XT but I fail until now, I post my card picture and any one please take a look and help me to flash it.

Thanks for advance,

saigonson

saigonson said:
Hi All,

I am trying to find a way to flash my Asus X850 Pro PCI-e to XT but I fail until now, I post my card picture and any one please take a look and help me to flash it.

Thanks for advance,

Sorry, miss attack file