• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your Core i9-10850K/10900K settings?

RayongRay

Thanks again for all this help. I see the logic there but I still cannot run Cinebench with those settings and now if I let it run by re-enabling BDPROCHOT I now also see a PL2 error and EDP Other too which I was not getting before. Even took the PL1 and PL2 max power right down to 100W and still get BDPROTHOT errors with CB test. And see the BDPROTHOT error is coming in even at low <100W power in the log but always when the temperature gets to around 67 degrees ???

When I run X Plane 12 with the max power set to 170W it runs fine with no crashes even with BDPROTHOT disabled and much more stable though need to test more but never see the power going over about 80W running X Plane 12 and temps stay way under 60c Here is the log file running CB multi core test and with Max power PL1 and PL2 set initially at 125W and then at reduced down to 100W with BDPROCHOT enabled so it did not crash the PC.

I will now set power max to 150W and run X Plane 12 with a flight and send you the log of that later. Are you sure his cannot be a bad cooler installation on my part or indeed a dodgy second hand i9 as if so I will send it back to the USA whilst I can. If you are sure it is the mobo as seems logical then I will have to bite the bullet and buy and install an Asrock Z490 LGA1200 board which I see available here online for about US$100

Attachments

• 2024-02-06.txt
    46.8 KB · Views: 18

RayongRay

Well now I cannot even run XP12 in flight with PL set to 125W. Before I had it set to 150W no problem but I noticed than it only showed as 36X not 48X as I had forgotten to set the cores from 2 to 10 in the first line as your picture shows. Here is the log and you will see the PL2 error as it went over 100W but before that the PL2 was showing in yellow as well as the EDP Other in yellow too.

So I am going to try with the clock multiplier set down to say 45X or lower until it does not crash. But if I turn on BDPROCHOT then I can see if it still errors rather than it shutting my PC down and having to reboot again. Clearly it seems it is not just the mobo power but more related to the multiplier core clock pushing something over limit??

More later and see what clock speed I can run at without errors. Once we are certain it is the mobo not the i9 or the cooler not doing its job then i will look to gettign a new Z490 Mobo

Attachments

• 2024-02-06.txt
    47.8 KB · Views: 17
Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
Pretty sure unclewebb is right and you need a Z board with better much power delivery.
I don't think it's a bad cooler because the temps look ok so far.
The VRM on that board looks feeble, and it's getting tortured constantly jumping from 0.65 to 1.38 volts.
When that PL2 hits and the multiplier drops to 33 the voltage goes way up to 1.38(that's probably enough for 52-53)

One thing you might try is to disable hyperthreading. Some games see a minimal impact, and doing so can reduce voltage requirements and temps.
I was running my 10850k at 5ghz with HT off for gaming.

RayongRay

Thanks Ware and yes I fully realise how incredible unclewebb is. I am totally putting myself in his hands. I was just wanting to confirm that it is highly unlikely that my cpu is faulty as it is one I purchased second hand from a reputable cpu dealer on eBay form the USA. If unclewebb says it is highly unlikely a faulty cpu possibly causing my problems then I will trust his opinion of course. Yes I fully now understand why I need a Z490 or Z590 mobo but have to look at money available so for now I want to be able to get this system running acceptably though obviously sub par for an i9 set up.

I had not seen teh PL2 error before I carried out the suggested setting with limiting the max power so was concerned if it was a serious error or due to reducing the max power of PL2 down from 250W to 150W. Anyway look forward to hearing his wise words.

I have BTW taken your suggestion and disabled hyperthreading in the bios and this seems to have stopped the PL2 error at least from initial tests. Now to test with running X Plane 12

RayongRay

Okay final test for today, phew been hard work :-0 This attached log was running XP12 in a complex advanced aircraft heavy on system resources. All your suggested settings but with BDPROTHOT enabled so I would get the error and throttling rather than powering off the PC. This was set at 150W max PL1 and PL2. I saw the yellow PL2 and EDT Other lit on, and just a couple of red PL2 errors, but no BRPROCHOT yellow or red errors. I never before this power limiting exercise saw the PL2 error so is this to be expected with this PL2 power limiting?

The other thing I did before this test was disable hyper threading in the bios as suggested by Ware but would like your agreement on this please.

I am concerned I am taking up way too much of your time but I am so very grateful for all this help and I reckon I owe you a coffee.

I am going to get a Z490 or 590 mobo fairly soon I think but just want to get this working acceptably for now. It does seem okay in X Plane 12 with these band aid settings but not with the CB Multi core test which throws multiple red errors including BDPROTHOT.

Attachments

• 2024-02-06.txt
    102.5 KB · Views: 11

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The last log file looks good. The CPU is running at a consistent speed. Disabling hyper threading is an excellent idea. This reduces power consumption and should not reduce gaming performance any significant amount. It might even help some games slightly. Running code on a physical core is always better than running the same code on one of the hyper threaded cores. There are not too many (or any) games that need more than 10 cores.

The CPU is fine. The motherboard was just never designed to run a 10 core CPU at full power. It should be OK for the game you are playing. If you have problems with other games, there are a other tricks you can use to reduce power consumption further.

When you use ThrottleStop to lower the power limits, it is normal that you will see either PL1 or PL2 lighting up more in Limit Reasons. Do not think of these as errors. Limit Reasons is just telling you the reason why your CPU is slowing down. It is running slower to reduce power consumption. It is doing exactly what you have told it to do. Head over to the ThrottleStop forum if you need any further help.

RayongRay

Thanks once again unclewebb and for the clarification about PL1 and PL2 errors which confirms what I was thinking. So leaving the BDPROCHOT enabled should not be a problem and will avoid any sudden shutdowns that could still occur, please correct me if I am wrong on that and would I get any benefit from disabling it in TS as prefer an occasional throttle to a shut down.

Only final question which I cannot ascertain is whether TS needs to be always running in the background for these settings I now have to stick?

Now to source a Z490/590 mobo and also head over to the TS forum too.

P.S. As you say I do need a Z490/590 chipset series motherboard. I can buy a used but fully tested and 100% working ASUS PRIME Z490-A Motherboard Powered by Intel Z490 For Socket LGA1200 10th Gen Core/Pentium/Celeron CPU DDR4 PCI-E 3.0 128GB from Alieexpress. Price is Thai Baht 4822 with free shipping so about US$137. Estimate delivery though is not until the beginning of April.

Can anyone confirm this is a good mobo for my i9 10850K cpu and is it worth buying at this price. There are some cheaper used Z490 motherboards but with lower spec but I want to ensure this board has adequate power handling for my i9

Or this used one that is a Z590 board and cheaper at Baht 4077 or about US$116 LGA 1200 motherboard Asus PRIME Z590-V with Intel Z590 chipset 11th / 10th generation 4×DDR4 128GB PCI-E 4.0 3×M.2 ATX. But why is it cheaper with a later z590 chipset?? Has it got an inferior power handling to the Z490 one above??

Any help appreciated

Last edited:

unclewebb

whether TS needs to be always running in the background for these settings I now have to stick?
If ThrottleStop is not running in the background, there is no guarantee that your settings will stick. ThrottleStop always needs to be running to monitor and maintain any changes you have made. As soon as you exit ThrottleStop, any program running on your computer, including Windows, can make changes to your CPU settings.

I do need a Z490/590 chipset series motherboard
You do not need to buy anything if the level of performance you have now is adequate. A Z490 or Z590 board will probably let you run Cinebench faster with zero throttling or shut downs but is that important to you? A different motherboard may not improve gaming performance any significant amount.

There are 101 different Z490 and Z590 motherboards available. There is no way for anyone to know which ones are good or bad without sitting down and doing some thorough testing with each and every one of them. I am quite happy with my Asus Z490 motherboard. Asus did a good job making sure this motherboard can fully handle a 10850K even when it is overclocked and the turbo power limits are increased to the maximum. When you are buying used motherboards, you could buy the exact same thing and may not have the same user experience that I have had. You can never be sure how a previous owner used or abused a CPU or a motherboard.

why is it cheaper
Pricing of anything is always a mystery. Spending more money or less money for any computer hardware never guarantees anything.

RayongRay

Thanks once unclewebb, you are amazing my friend.

I will still likely go for that pre owned Asus mobo as I do want the best for my system within my budget. I have rarely heard of a motherboard failures as they are reliable beasts and these are fully checked out before shipping and I do rightly or wrongly find I can trust Chinese rated suppliers more than most of those in the west these days to be honest, just an observation from long time personal experience.

Okay so I need to have TS running in the background so is there a switch one can add that will launch it at boot up already minimised as I can add TS to my minimalistic start up list ??

PS Found the start minimised setting in the TS options and now also created an elevated shortcut to avoid the UAC prompt screen and a task schedule to start it automatically at an administrator account log on. Works perfectly now after debugging my numerous typing errors in the task scheduler. :peace::)

PPS Also now ordered a pre owned MSI LGA 1200 motherboard MSI Z590-A PRO which is cheaper at US$107.43 and free shipping. So will leave you in peace now from all my rookie questions, well at least until I get the new mobo from China in many weeks time.

So many thanks to you. :respect:

Last edited:

unclewebb

Here is a Task Scheduler Guide that you can compare your task to. You have to watch out for some greyed out settings that one would assume are disabled but they really are not disabled.

I have always had great long term success with Asus motherboards. I have never had a reason to change teams. Let me know how your new MSI motherboard works out. Some used MSI motherboards have a problem with BD PROCHOT throttling so you will still need to watch out for that when testing. The MSI BD PROCHOT throttling issues were often times caused by a dirty or defective LN2 switch on the motherboard. Hopefully your new board can fully support a 10850K. Then you will be looking for a more powerful cooler. This hobby will keep you busy.

RayongRay

Thanks again for all this excellent feedback unclewebb.

I thought I would need an elevated shortcut so that the UAC screen would not pop up at boot up launch but it seems I do not need that and the task scheduler launches TS with highest privileges without the UAC unwantedly popping up anyway. So my Scheduled task was pretty much the same except the actions screen where I called an elevated shortcut using Windows cmd app with suitable arguments. But looking at the linked to screen you sent I have changed the Task Scheduler action screen to immediately run the TS exe file directly from my installed folder so without the clearly unneeded complications. I wondered if that was the same with Windows Vista, as I cannot remember if that had the UAC security system built in or not ?? Wow that is now such an outdated OS I can barely remember it dating back over 20 years. Windows 10 has been the norm for probably over 10 years now and as yet I have no rush to upgrade to Windows 11 as see no real benefit as yet.

Yes I have always liked Asus products and have a now quite old Asus i7 laptop. But I saw the MSI board was cheaper than the Asus Z490 one and was also a z590 board and did not have unneeded for me features that the Asus board had. It is the "A" Pro board I am getting as there other lower spec cheaper z590 Pro boards from MSI too. And I know the "A" model has a much better power handling than the other two Pro models so hopefully the BDPROCHOT will not be a problem as this is one of the main reasons I am upgrading to this Z590 board. Certainly searching the web it has some good reports especially for its excellent price and with Z590 chip set the cpu can be upgrade to11th gen and it has 3 x M2 sockets which will be useful as I want to move to more of those. I wish they would make more mobos with options not to have in-built graphics as for power users they are inadequate for graphics intensive applications like my X Plane 12 sim and just ad unneeded cost. Here is a link to reveiw and compare several affordable Z590 boards and the MSI Z590A Pro came out very well on their tests which is one of the reasons as well as price that I went for this model in the end.

My brand new quite expensive Cooler Master Hyper 622 Black big twin tower, twin fan air cooler should be more than man enough to run my i9 10850K at full turbo speeds as has a TDP of just over 260W which is excellent for an air cooler and better than some water cooler systems too without need for the complications. But yes I hear you one upgrade brings on a desire for yet another upgrade, an expensive but superb hobby though. :rolleyes:

unclewebb

hopefully the BD PROCHOT will not be a problem
The BD PROCHOT issue that has plagued a wide variety of MSI motherboards for over 10 years is completely different than the BD PROCHOT problem you were having with your previous motherboard. MSI used some cheap 5 cent switches on many of their motherboards that ultimately get dirty, short out and fail. This is what causes BD PROCHOT throttling on the MSI motherboards. Hopefully your new motherboard does not have this problem but if it does, it is easy enough to fix this problem by using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT. This will not cause the shut downs that your previous board would do when disabling BD PROCHOT.

You should not have any problems with a MSI Z490 or Z590 motherboard being able to fully power an Intel 10 core CPU. The only problem with the MSI boards is just the poor quality micro switch that they installed on their motherboards.

RayongRay

Wow what an amazing knowledge base you have on these motherboards and cpus. Thanks for the reassurance that all should be good with my new (pre owned) MSI Z590 A Pro motherboard when it eventually arrives and that disabling BDPROCHOT if needed should not result in PC shutdowns.

I'm all good for now thanks unclewebb so must not selfishly commandeer any more of your valuable time. I will let you know when I get the MSI Mobo and how I get on with it once installed.

Once more mega thanks. :respect:

RayongRay

Well Uncle Webb, my new (second hand but like new) MSI Z590 A Pro motherboard arrived back on Sunday and now I have had chance to fit it as a major upgrade to my PC. Had no problems with Windows 10 either and all is now working okay.

Okay now I have I think set TS to defaults but still I never see any core go over 48??? Also in the BIOS my Kingston Fury 3200 DR 4 memory is shown as only running at 2400 even though with the i9 10850K it should be running at 2966 of course. I have tried to enable XMP in the bios but that seems to make no difference and still stuck at 2400??? Be good to see this running at maximum speed for the 10850K

Now running Cinebench I now longer get any BDPROCHOT errors :) and have now disabled that in TU. But I do still get throttling with either or both RED Power EDP OTHER and PL1 errors and never see more than 200W before the power throttling steps in. MAximum temperature I see was 80C but remember IU have a massive twin tower twin fan Cooler Master air cooler which is clearly working well. I think I read that these POWER errors are normal with running Cinebench test.

On the new motherboard there is a 4 way socket near the cpu next to the 8 way CPU power connector that is marked CPU PWR2 which I have not connected. I do have a spare power connector for cpu on my Corsair modular RM 750 PSU but that is an 8 way connector and have a spare 8 way connector cable with the PSU spare cables, so should I just use that and with only the 4 pins into CPU PWR2 socket as does not seem right not being an 8 way socket?? Be good if that will stop the POWER throttling.

This is all new to me with these Z590 boards and 10th gen processors so any help would be very much appreciated.

PS I just realised that with default settings running all cores will limit it to 48 now runnign Cinebench with a single core I see it up in the low 50s and even occasionally hitting 55 so that is a good result I think.

Last edited:
System Name PC-GX1
Processor i9 10900 non K (stock) TDP 65w
Motherboard asrock b560 steel legend | Realtek ALC897
Cooling cooler master hyper 2x12 LED turbo argb | 5x12cm fan rgb intake | 3x12cm fan rgb exhaust
Memory corsair vengeance LPX 2x32gb ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Gaming Z Trio LHR TDP 370w| 551.76 WHQL | MSI AB v4.65 | RTSS v7.35
Storage NVME 2+2TB gen3| SSD 4TB sata3 | 1+2TB 7200rpm sata3| 4+4+5TB USB3 (optional)
Display(s) AOC U34P2C (IPS panel, 3440x1440 75hz) + speaker 5W*2 | APC BX1100CI MS (660w)
Case lianli lancool 2 mesh RGB windows - white edition | 1x dvd-RW usb 3.0 (optional)
Audio Device(s) Nakamichi soundstation8w 2.1 100W RMS | Simbadda CST 9000N+ 2.1 352W RMS
Power Supply seasonic focus gx-850w 80+ gold - white edition 2021 | APC BX2200MI MS (1200w)
Mouse steelseries sensei ten | logitech g440
Keyboard steelseries apex 5 | steelseries QCK prism cloth XL | steelseries arctis 5
VR HMD -
Software dvd win 10 home 64bit oem + full update 22H2
Benchmark Scores -
my cpu, is only running daily, with default setting, nothing else !

RayongRay

I have seen how well worth it is to use Throttle Stop to tune your cpu to safely get the best out of it as yes it certainly DOES make a real difference in cpu intensive apps like Flight Sims (X Plane 12, MSFS etc.) giving much needed extra FPS and/or higher detail. If you have the right hardware then this is at no addition cost, so has to be worth the effort and a no brainer IMHO.

Further to my above post I have now after some effort worked out how to I think properly operate Throttle Stop and got my i9 10850K, with now my new MSI Z590 A Pro motherboard, safely operating at 5.00Ghz with all 10 cores and without throttling. This is bloody marvellous. Throttle Stop is a brilliant program indeed and now it is all set up, and as it auto runs up at boot up in the background, I can forget it other than any other fine tuning I may deem worth doing.

unclewebb

safely operating at 5.00Ghz with all 10 cores and without throttling
I too settled on running all cores of my 10850K at 5.00 GHz. I like a nice round number. It can run all cores at 5.10 GHz or 5.20 GHz but the extra voltage and extra heat that creates is really not worth it. It runs very comfortably at 5.00 GHz.

A lot of ThrottleStop features were programmed while using my 10850K. It works well so you can easily monitor and tune your CPU without having to reboot.

This is bloody marvelous.
I agree. Even if I did not write the program I would still agree. My CPU was an unstable mess at default BIOS settings. ThrottleStop helped me get the most out of my 10850K. Double click on the monitoring table if you ever need to see all 10 cores / 20 threads at the same time.

1709399324019.png

RayongRay

Thanks as always for the feedback UW.

One important question I have. I can run at all cores at 5.0 Ghz fine with no errors reports in Limits window with V Core and Cache offset set to a maximum of around -70mV, anymore than this and I will start to get BSODS. However when I try the TS Bench on the full 7680M test it will almost immediately show and error and a BSOD occurs. I have to reduce the offset down to -25mV for it to pass this TS Bench run. So TS Bench is more demanding of the cpu than Cinebench all cores test I must assume?? I can also drop to 4.9Ghz for all cores and run TS Bench at -40mV offset but no more.

So I have opted now for running at 5.0 Ghz for all 10 cores and a 50-51-52-53 profile with a -25mV core and cache offset. This gives some throttling with Cinebench and temps hitting 100C but in running X Plane 12 I get no errors showing in Limits at all after hours of running this flight sim. So assume Cinebench is just an extreme test that I should not experience in normal use and enjoy my fixed at 5.0 Ghz running cores. Interested to know your opinion on this as clearly I do not want to risk damaging my i( 10850K cpu. though I believe as it throttles a but at 100C it should be safe.

BTW my Cinebench full cores test gives me a benchmark of just over 16260 which I assume is good but it drops to about 15750 once the temps get into throttling level?? Here attached are 2 screenshots showing this test with the TS screens showing on top and showing the high temps throttling the speed down into the 4.9Ghz area. As to heat well you have to bear in mind I am in THailand so the ambient temperature in my computer room is between 28C and 32C and usually over 30C. My cooler is a Cooler Master Hyper 622 Halo Black whcihis a twin tower twin fan cooler with a reported around a 260W TDP

PS Brilliant to be able to see all 20 cores together in one monitoring screen, so thanks for that little known tip.

Attachments

• Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

unclewebb

So TS Bench is more demanding of the cpu than Cinebench all cores test I must assume??
Yes, that is true. The voltage needed to be Cinebench R23 stable on these CPUs might not be enough to be 100% stable in many games. I would not use R23 as a stress test. On 10th Gen CPUs, the voltage needed to be TS Bench stable is usually a better indication if that voltage will be enough to be game stable.

Some people decide that being TS Bench stable is not that important. I disagree. The TS Bench does a calculation twice and will report an error if it does not get the same answer to the same question.

3 + 5 = 8
5 + 3 = 7

8 does not equal 7 so that is an error. If the TS Bench only reports a couple of errors after doing millions of calculations that is not horrible but it is still one more error than I ever want to see. Many users only think errors are important if their computer crashes with a blue screen. Ignoring errors is like playing Russian Roulette. You might get away with running an unstable computer for a day or a week or longer but these seemingly unimportant errors can add up over time. At some point, Windows or your game files might become corrupted. I prefer not to live on the edge like this.

I do not want to risk damaging
It takes some effort to damage a CPU. If the voltage is not quite right, your computer might crash. Not the end of the world.

For playing games your computer should be fine. I doubt the load that X Plane 12 creates on a CPU is anywhere close to the load created by a stress test like Cinebench or the TS Bench.

RayongRay

I fully agree with you that stability is the most important but at the best performance we can get with full stability of course.

Anyway I solved one of the reasons why TS Bench was erroring and BSOD'ing. at any lower V core than a -25mV offset Although I set the Cache Ratio to 47 (ie correctly 3Ghz below the V Core Ratio of 50 ) I noticed in the top right monitoring box of the FIVR screen, that it was reporting the actual Cache Ratio as only 43 and this of course would mean at 5Hz core clock the Cache would not keep up. The answer was staring me in the face in the Cache Ratio settings box below where the Min/Max was still set at default 8/43. So as soon as I changed this to a Max of 48 then bingo I see of course 47 in the monitoring and now my TS Bench runs fine and no errors at all at 5Ghz all cores with an offset of -60mV. (at -65mV I get very occasional TS Bench errors) Now I can run Cinebench too at 5Ghz without any power or thermal errors which I could not do at -25mV offset and is running at under 95C max now. Of course I set my Core and Cache offsets to the same value now -60mV (actually -59.6mV)

I thought this info might be useful to others trying to get the maximum stable performance out of their cpu's as that Cache Ratio is of course very important. Perhaps it might be a good idea to set the default max to 48 in future releases. One thing is for sure the more and more I learn about Throttle Stop the more and more I love it. Certainly for me so far the most impressive program of the year and amazing app that gives me all the control I need over my cpu. Now back to leaving it to work always in the background and enjoying my stable turbo charged PC with this new MSI Z590 motherboard.

Last edited:

unclewebb

Perhaps it might be a good idea to set the default max to 48 in future releases.
The Intel default is 43. Setting the cache ratio higher than 43 is considered overclocking. Setting all cores to 50 is also overclocking. It is OK to overclock but ThrottleStop will never use overclocked values as the default values. It is up to individual users to decide if they want to overclock or not. Kind of dumb for Intel to have two separate registers that both have to be adjusted to control the maximum cache speed. It is what it is. Glad to see you figured this out.

I set my Core and Cache offsets to the same value
I forgot to mention. Setting these two offset voltages equally does not seem to be necessary. On my 10850K, adjusting only the core voltage is good enough. The drop in power consumption and temperatures confirms that the CPU undervolt is working even when the cache offset is set to 0 mV. Perhaps if you only undervolt the core you might be able to undervolt further without any blue screens or TS Bench errors.

I do not know if using ThrottleStop to request different offset voltage values changes the actual voltage going to the core or the cache. The two voltages might be synced equally internally. Many laptop owners have claimed better performance or better temperatures by setting the core offset up to 100 mV or 125 mV more than the cache offset. Have fun doing another round of testing.

RayongRay

From tests today it does seem to make difference Core ratio at 50 and Cache ratio at 47. So leaving the V Core Offset now set to -40mv, I ran the TS Bench three times consecutively with the long test.

Test 1. With VCache offset to same as V core -40mv and I got a BSOD after a few minutes of long test so clearly marginal.
Test 2. Only change VCache offset to -100mv and I get same result of BSOD also after a few minutes but maybe sooner than test 1.
Test 3. VCache offset set to 0 zero and I do not get any BSOD for the full over 8 minutes of this test.

Clearly we have to increase the Cache Ratio when the Core ratio is increased to 50 else surely the caching cannot keep up with the Core demand and thus the BSODs. So I set my Cache ratio to 3 less than the set Core ratio which I gather is about the right level. Also with a negative VCache offset there is more chance of errors of course in the overclocked caching, so now I set no VCache offset. Anyway hope that is some useful feedback,

Finally during the day with the window open for fresh air the ambient temperature in my computer room is currently around 34C and this definitely makes it necessary for the overclocking test to drop the core ratios from 50 to 49 and then all is well. But in the evening when we close the windows to keep out the mosquitoes then I have to put on the aircon set to about 26C This makes a huge difference to my core temperatures and makes the 50 core ratio perfectly okay with all the tests including Cinebench. So I simply have set up two profiles, one for 4.9Ghz and the other for 5.0Ghz with appropriate offsets and VCache with now no offset. I only switch on teh 5.0 Ghz profile when I am using my flight sim or other cpu intensive apps. Once again showing how useful and excellent TS truly is giving me such great control over my system, so thank you for all your hard work.

unclewebb

Clearly we have to increase the Cache Ratio when the Core ratio is increased to 50
I also run my cache at the 47 multiplier but you do not have to do anything. Running the cache at the default 43 multiplier even when overclocking the core to 50 should be OK. This should not cause a BSOD. I think the stability problem you were having before was because of your cache voltage setting.

I have to increase the core voltage significantly to try and use a 48 cache multiplier when using a 50 core multiplier. This is definitely not a stable setting. 47 for the cache seems OK but for some 10850K, 46 might be a better compromise. A difference of 100 MHz in the cache speed makes no noticeable difference in any test that I have ever tried. The advantage of using 46 instead of 47 for the cache is that you might be able to reliably undervolt your core some more.

my computer room is currently around 34°C
I think at that temperature I would rather watch TV than use my computer. It never gets that hot here. I am more likely to see the opposite, -34°C. That is the best time to drag my computer outside for some overclocking experiments. :D

I only switch on the 5.0 GHz profile when I am using my flight sim or other cpu intensive apps.
HotKeys is a useful ThrottleStop feature. You can set up two keyboard shortcuts so you can easily switch between different ThrottleStop profiles, even when in game. Access to the HotKeys feature can be found near the bottom middle of the Options window. Maybe someday I will make defining hot keys a little more intuitive. I was still learning how to program when I created that feature.

RayongRay

Thanks UW.

So I will maybe try setting the Cache ratio to 46 instead of 47 to gain the best stability at the best temperatures. Yes the heat here is of course a major limiting factor with overclocking but at least when it is important to overclock I always have the aircon which I use in the evening if Im in the computer room.

You must have read my mind because before I got your last reply I was thinking if only I could auto change to the 5.0 Ghz Profile 1 when I run the IO Bit booster facility before gaming or flight simming and auto change it back to the 4.9 Ghz profile 2 when I turn the booster off and restore all my other background apps and settings. Then bingo up you come with the Hotkey answer which I had not noticed. So now have both of my two profiles easy to switch between using my selected hot key combo. TS just got a whole lot better than it already was.

BTW with the MSI Z590 Motherboard there is a feature called Mystic Lights which I have used for my big Cooler Master Hyper 622 Halo cpu cooler and set it up to change colour from a deep blue when it is cold ambient temperature smoothly changing colour via green when at usual operating temperature around 70C, and into deep red when it reaches what I have set up at 96C. So I can see at a quick glance now if my cpu is getting too hot and hey it also looks pretty too. Wonderful tools :)

unclewebb

One last thing. It is a good idea to leave the Ring Down Bin box checked in the ThrottleStop FIVR window. When this is checked, it always makes sure that the cache runs no faster than 300 MHz less than the core speed. If you change the CPU speed to 4.9 GHz, this will keep the cache running at a maximum speed of 4.6 GHz. Leaving Ring Down Bin checked is a useful safety / stability feature.

If you ever decide to use the Balanced power plan (I never do) or if the CPU ever needs to slow down for any reason, the cache speed will automatically follow along at 300 MHz less than the core speed.

When Thermal Velocity Boost is checked, this tells the CPU to slow down 100 MHz when it reaches approximately 70°C. I always leave this box clear so the CPU runs at a fixed maximum speed. Where you live, perhaps this might be a useful feature so the CPU speed adjusts a little automatically when things start getting hot. Lots of ThrottleStop options to play with when you test and tune.

1709879546041.png