Wednesday, August 19th 2009

Pentium E6500K Surges Past 6 GHz

Yet another speed record has been set for the Pentium Dual-Core E6500K processor, past a recently achieved record of 5 GHz. An overclocker with the Expreview forum name DFORDOG achieved 6 GHz using a LN2 cooled setup. Details of the feat include 6.004 GHz (17.0 x 353.2 MHz), vCore of 1.8V, and a resulting FSB speed of 1412 MHz. To seat the E6500K was a Biostar TP45 HP motherboard and 2x 1 GB of GeIL DDR2 memory. The CPU was cooled by a K|ngp|n F1 liquid nitrogen evaporator. Its validation can be found here. Pentium E6500K is a limited-edition SKU based on the Wolfdale-2M core, with an unlocked bus multiplier. For now it's nowhere to be found outside China, and shows no clear signs of doing so either.
Source: Expreview
Add your own comment

20 Comments on Pentium E6500K Surges Past 6 GHz

#2
AltecV1
1.8 volts on a wolfdale:laugh: it died after 20 minuts
Posted on Reply
#3
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
AltecV1 said:
1.8 volts on a wolfdale:laugh: it died after 20 minuts
Not under LN2.
Posted on Reply
#4
Assassin48
btarunr said:
Yet another speed record has been set for the Pentium Dual-Core E6500K processor, past a recently achieved record of 5 GHz. An overclocker with the Expreview forum name DFORDOG achieved 6 GHz using a liquid cooled setup. Details of the feat include 6.004 GHz (17.0 x 353.2 MHz), vCore of 1.8V, and a resulting FSB speed of 1412 MHz. To seat the E6500K was a Biostar TP45 HP motherboard and 2x 1 GB of GeIL DDR2 memory. The CPU was cooled by a K|ngp|n F1 liquid nitrogen evaporator. Its validation can be found here. Pentium E6500K is a limited-edition SKU based on the Wolfdale-2M core, with an unlocked bus multiplier. For now it's nowhere to be found outside China, and shows no clear signs of doing so either.
:confused::confused:

guessing the gpus were on water?
Posted on Reply
#5
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Nope, fixed.
Posted on Reply
#6
Assassin48
these chips are passing my expectations big time
Posted on Reply
#7
happita
I've seen quads under the same LN2 setups achieve around that clock speed. Aren't dual-cores supposed to clock better than quads?
Posted on Reply
#8
Paulieg
Here's my question. What's it capable of on air/water w/reasonable vcore? I'm guessing that's what's most important to your average enthusiast.
Posted on Reply
#9
Assassin48
happita said:
I've seen quads under the same LN2 setups achieve around that clock speed. Aren't dual-cores supposed to clock better than quads?
yes but the real treat is the price tag of $80
Posted on Reply
#10
JrRacinFan
Served 5k and counting ...
Paulieg said:
Here's my question. What's it capable of on air/water w/reasonable vcore? I'm guessing that's what's most important to your average enthusiast.
I am going to guess of between 4.2-4.5Ghz in a strong chip on air. 3.6-3.8Ghz in a dud chip on water.
Posted on Reply
#11
Mussels
Moderprator
JrRacinFan said:
I am going to guess of between 4.2-4.5Ghz in a strong chip on air. 3.6-3.8Ghz in a dud chip on water.
that matches my expectations.

This should match an average wolfdale on achievable clocks, just that it will get there easier (and have less performance at those clocks, due to cache)

for its price, its a beast.... if you can find one
Posted on Reply
#12
Scrizz
w00h00
now I really want one
Posted on Reply
#13
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
Not bad at all. I love seeing AMD And Intel Chips clock high like this.
Posted on Reply
#14
thezorro
core 2 is end of life, intel should dump it, and focus on the new platforms.
anyway core 2 can not be improved.
my two cents
Posted on Reply
#15
Fitseries3
Eleet Hardware Junkie
btarunr said:
For now it's nowhere to be found outside China, and shows no clear signs of doing so either.
you made sure to cover that so i didnt post complaining about it again. :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#16
swaaye
thezorro said:
core 2 is end of life, intel should dump it, and focus on the new platforms.
anyway core 2 can not be improved.
my two cents
Still slaps around AMD's funny little K10 architecture though! ;)
Posted on Reply
#17
erocker
*
swaaye said:
Still slaps around AMD's funny little K10 architecture though! ;)
It sure does. Good thing AMD came out with K10.5 with Phenom II.

Anyways, back on topic, are these chips actually going to be released for retail anytime soon?
Posted on Reply
#18
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
Assassin48 said:
:confused::confused:

guessing the gpus were on water?
LN2 technically is a liquid...so it was correct originally.
Posted on Reply
#19
Assassin48
newtekie1 said:
LN2 technically is a liquid...so it was correct originally.
i never said it wasnt a liquid

when people look and see a Liquid Cooled Setup they think water not Ln2
Posted on Reply
#20
AddSub
Here's my question. What's it capable of on air/water w/reasonable vcore? I'm guessing that's what's most important to your average enthusiast.
Bingo! Might as well be 16GHz or 66GHz.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment