Thursday, July 14th 2011

FX-Series Processors Clock Speeds 'Revealed'

On several earlier articles like this one, we were versed with the model numbers and even possible prices of AMD's next-generation FX series desktop processors, but the clock speeds stayed under the wraps, that's until a table listing them out was leaked. AMD's FX-series consists of eight-core FX-81xx parts, six-core FX-61xx, and quad-core FX-41xx parts, probably harvested out of the Zambezi silicon by disabling modules (groups of two cores closely interconnected with some shared resources). Most, if not all, FX series chips have unlocked multipliers, making it a breeze to overclock them. All chips come in the AM3+ package, feature 8 MB of L3 cache, and 2 MB L2 cache per module.

Leading the pack is FX-8150, with a clock speed of 3.6 GHz, and TurboCore speed of 4.2 GHz, a 500 MHz boost. The next chip, FX-8120, has a boost of close to a GHz, it has a clock speed of 3.1 GHz, that goes all the way up to 4 GHz with TurboCore. This will be available in 125W and 95W TDP variants. Next up is the FX-8100, with 2.8 GHz clock speed, that goes up to 3.7 GHz, another 900 MHz boost. The scene shifts to 6-core chips, with FX-6120, no clock speed numbers were given out for this one. FX-6100, on the other hand, is clocked at 3.3 GHz, with 3.9 GHz Turbo. The FX-4100 is the only quad-core part with clock speeds given out by this source: 3.6 GHz, with a tiny 200 MHz boost to 3.8 GHz. You can see that there is no pattern in the turbo speed amounts specific to models, and hence we ask you to take these with a pinch of salt.

Source: DonanimHaber

412 Comments on FX-Series Processors Clock Speeds 'Revealed'

Pestilence
lashton said:
you are a fool
your point about 3 is the same as what i do, I never shut windows down and it says "safe mode" and shit, you are an intel fanboy and worried that AMD may take back the performance crown
he uses windows because it easier, notice how cpu-z reflects this doesn't matter the CPU clocks higher and is faster (by a margin) than the 2600k
<---this people know
:laugh:

I've had both intel and Amd so im no fanboy
seronx
Pestilence said:
:laugh:

Why do company's produce different stepping processors? To fix issues with a prior stepping. Want an Example?

Phenom II X4 955 C2 :

Had issues going over 3.6Ghz, Memory Controller hated anything over 1333

Phenom II X4 955 C3 :

Over 4Ghz without much issue, Much better memory performance with 1600

Amd had to revise the processor because it was having issues.
Well at least they are doing that while the CPU isn't being SOLD!!!

You know how pissed I was getting a B2 9950 when the B3 9950 came out the day after I was like Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

But, then I upgraded to the C3 965BE and everything was alleviated after 1 year of living with a overheating cpu

Pestilence said:
:laugh:

I've had both intel and Amd so im no fanboy
You're still a fanboy...You never owned VIA

Which of course BEATS Intel and AMD

I'm joking ofcourse lol
Pestilence
seronx said:
Well at least they are doing that while the CPU isn't being SOLD!!!

You're still a fanboy...You never owned VIA

Which of course BEATS Intel and AMD

I'm joking ofcourse lol
I had an X3 Toilman that overclocked like mad on water. Still miss that processor. I was happy with my Amd rig till i saw that Fry's had a special on a P45 UD3 and an E8500 combo so i sold my X3 and went Intel and holy shit did that processor kick fucking ass. 4.8Ghz on water was amazing back in 08.
seronx
Pestilence said:
I'm not going to provide any sources:

Get the lowest TDP model @ release of the FX 8-Cores

Plug it into a Crosshair V Formula or wait for the Crosshair V Extreme

Now get a PSU that has 2 8pin EPS preferable 1200 Watts+with atleast 100+ Amps on a single 12 volt line

Now get the Corsair H100, get 4 fans with pretty extreme static pressure for 120x120x25mm

Set FSB/PEG/whatever from 200 to 300
Turn off CNQ/Turbocore/other features that throttle
Set Multiplier from stock to 20x to 21.5x
Enjoy 6.45GHz

450-500 Watts Power Consumption

Now take this with a grain of salt though but it is completely feasible
Pestilence
seronx said:
I'm not going to provide any sources:

Get the lowest TDP model @ release of the FX 8-Cores

Plug it into a Crosshair V Formula or wait for the Crosshair V Extreme

Set FSB/PEG/whatever from 200 to 300
Turn off CNQ/Turbocore/other features that throttle
Set Multiplier from stock to 20x to 21.5x
Enjoy 6.45GHz

450-500 Watts Power Consumption

If an 8 Core can hit 6Ghz with an H100 i'll post pictures of my hot fiance naked. :laugh:

**** Offer Voided if the jackass testing puts his rad in a window or lives in Canada ****
Damn_Smooth
Pestilence said:

I'm saving this for later. Post a pic of that hot fiance clothed so I can make sure it's worth the save.
seronx
Pestilence said:

Early September NDA ends, so we will find out if it can do it on high-end air or AIO Water Coolers or custom rigs

Damn_Smooth said:
LOL
HammerON
The Watchful Moderator
Pestilence said:

So does this offer exclude those of us living in Alaska as well:)
AphexDreamer
HammerON said:
So does this offer exclude those of us living in Alaska as well:)
Dear lord how are you not an overclocking champ.

I'd stick my whole comp in the snow and freeze my ass just to see those clocks rise.
YautjaLord
Disruptor4 said:
Thanks YautjaLord. :)
Like Pred would say (in '87 classic): Any time. :)
theoneandonlymrk
Pestilence said:

Ahh some light at the end of the tunnel,I dont think its impossible despite being unlikely, you m(well your misses) may regret that :laugh::D

tho prob not:p

does anyone have the slightest clue about bulldozer/990x chipset compatabillity with pciex 3??

as pciex3 mobos are starting to get mentioned and this might further delay my concern with BD ie might wait even longer then release etc.:confused:
devguy
theoneandonlymrk said:

tho prob not:p

Looks like even Intel is having some problems getting on the PCIe 3.0 bandwagon. In order to get the x79 chipset out this year, they might have to compromise on that feature. But, there's still motherboard manufacturers adding that functionality themselves, like AsRock.

But I must say, who cares about PCIe 3.0 right now, anyway?
theoneandonlymrk
people who plan on using their next pc for 3 years plus, may need pciex 3 by the end of its life,though i agree their will still be pciex 2 cards then, they will no longer be the fastest and for example my x38 mobo can still do more with a new gpu(hence prolonged life) itll have recent gpus folding in it till it dies
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Pestilence said:
Bugger. Was gonna hook up the H100 and show a screenie!

:laugh:

J/K.
Pestilence
Damn_Smooth said:
And ruin all the fun? I guarantee that she's very attractive, skinny and with a huge rack. :laugh:

Ohh and she's only 21 :rockout:
Damn_Smooth
Pestilence said:

Ohh and she's only 21 :rockout:
This is the interweb, my friend. Pics or it didn't happen.:D
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Pestilence said:

Ohh and she's only 21 :rockout:
Ah, jail bait. Young enough to be my own kid. But I would be a jackass in Canada...oh well. I think my wife's more interested in the pics than I am, anyway.

I find it interesting how the title of this thread has "revealed" in quotes.

So, uh, this is more AMD BS?
fullinfusion
1.21 Gigawatts
cadaveca said:

I find it interesting how the title of this thread has "revealed" in quotes.

So, uh, this is more AMD BS?
Yeah us jackasses that live in Canada dont need to place a rad in the window, we just need to open the window :rolleyes:

but today can be a challenge, 32c atm
Benetanegia
Damn_Smooth said:
I believe so. If you want some real FUD though, translate this article and read about how Intel confirmed that Bulldozer would be released 60-90 days from computex. :roll:

On an AMD forum no less.

I don't get it. Google translate is not doing a good job to begin with, so understanding anything is difficult. Anyway I cannot see what's the relation between what's posted there and Intel. Intel is not mentioned at all. :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind. The autodetect language failed and told me to use norwegian in the first place, it seems it swedish... Aaannd LOL! Hahaha. Intel appears out of nowhere then. I guess the original article says "intel" as in saying "sources".

EDIT2: And no. It seems that google translates AMD as Intel, when the source is swedish at least, no matter the target language. :laugh:
Damn_Smooth
Benetanegia said:

AMD is mentioned in the article as well though. How do you translate? I just let the site load until the translate page bar comes up on top.
Benetanegia
Damn_Smooth said:
I just go to http://translate.google.es/?hl=es&tab=wT and enter the text, select language (usually the suggested one) and go.
AMD is mentioned in the article as well though.
Yeah, that's the funny thing. In the original article AMD is mentioned throughout the article, but in the last paragraph I don't know what it says before being translated, but no matter which target language I select, from the ones that I can understand (spanish, english, french, portuguese, italian, basque/euskera) all of them replace AMD by Intel in that last paragraph. :laugh:
scaminatrix
I've sigged you Pest, no getting out of it now!!