Friday, January 13th 2012

AMD FX-8150 Tested with Latest Windows Hotfixes, Still No Improvement

German tech website TweakPC did a before-after comparison of applying Microsoft's recently-released KB2645594 + KB2646060 Windows updates, which intend to improve performance of systems running AMD FX processors, by improving the way in which the OS deals with Bulldozer cores, using a top-of-the-line FX-8150 processor. The reviewer put FX-8150 through synthetic tests such as AIDA64 (CPU benchmarks, FPU benchmarks), Cinebench 11.5, MaxxPi (multi-threaded PI calculations), WPrime, Twofish AES, 3DMark (Vantage and 11), ComputeMark; and some real-world tests such as WinRAR, Resident Evil 5, and Battleforge. Barring Resident Evil 5, where the patched FX-8150 produced 4% higher performance and WinRAR, where it produced 3% higher performance, there were no significant performance gains noticed. The review can be accessed at the source.

Source: TweakPC.de
Add your own comment

165 Comments on AMD FX-8150 Tested with Latest Windows Hotfixes, Still No Improvement

#2
MarcusTaz
suraswami said:
I tried adding 8120 and Gigabyet 970 board to the cart, it only took $40 off. May be instore only?
I think it is in store only but it does not hurt to call their 800 number and ask:

1-800-634-3478 ;)
Posted on Reply
#3
xenocide
MarcusTaz said:
I think it is in store only but it does not hurt to call their 800 number and ask:

1-800-634-3478 ;)
Microcenter deals are always In-Store only. They mark down CPU's to get people thinking of upgrading to buy the entire setup there. My friend got his i5-2500k from them for like $175. He went home and compared the entire setup and noticed every part was like 10-20$ more expensive than on Newegg to offset it.

Microcenter is awesome, and much better priced than places like Best Buy, but I wouldn't buy everything there--just CPU's :P
Posted on Reply
#4
MarcusTaz
xenocide said:
Microcenter deals are always In-Store only. They mark down CPU's to get people thinking of upgrading to buy the entire setup there. My friend got his i5-2500k from them for like $175. He went home and compared the entire setup and noticed every part was like 10-20$ more expensive than on Newegg to offset it.

Microcenter is awesome, and much better priced than places like Best Buy, but I wouldn't buy everything there--just CPU's :P
There is some truth in that statement. Since I live in NJ Newegg now charges 7% tax so a lot of their deals are killed by tax for me. MC is in Paterson NJ for me so the 3.5% tax rate for certain inner cities for me rocks! Look you just have a to be a smart shopper and there are deals to find at all stores B&M or online, thats why I check slickdeals like everyday... :laugh: But $120 off a mobo to me is a killer deal like I said if you have a MC store nearby...

Not to take this post off subject sorry to the post creator. I am so on the fence on upgrading my Core i7 950 / Rampage Formula III rig with an 8120 / Sabertooth just to get this deal... Call me retarded???? :roll:

Got to make my mind up today. Deal ends today.... HELP!!!!! :respect:
Posted on Reply
#5
Super XP
Get it, that is an awesome deal. Then you can join the rest of us FX owners :D
Posted on Reply
#6
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
@[USER=23609]MarcusTaz[/USER]

Oh, how I envy your little 7% tax, lol. Here in exorbitantly expensive England, we pay 20% tax on everything. They call it Value Added Tax (VAT).

What joy. :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#7
erocker
MarcusTaz said:
Not to take this post off subject sorry to the post creator. I am so on the fence on upgrading my Core i7 950 / Rampage Formula III rig with an 8120 / Sabertooth just to get this deal...
It wouldn't be much of an upgrade at all. Though, if you're in the mood to play with something new, I'm all for that. :D
Posted on Reply
#8
xenocide
erocker said:
It wouldn't be much of an upgrade at all. Though, if you're in the mood to play with something new, I'm all for that. :D
It would be a slight upgrade in heavily threaded applications and a side grade at best in anything under 6 threads if memory serves correctly.
Posted on Reply
#10
MarcusTaz
Well I did not make it out to the store, there was just to much going on with the family today.

I know they will have more sales and chances are they will extend this one. I really need to sell my other rig first though before I start buying again... :o

My other HTPC gaming rig has a Sabertooth and an FX 6100 so I am partly there anyway... :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#11
MarcusTaz
MarcusTaz said:
Well I did not make it out to the store, there was just to much going on with the family today.

I know they will have more sales and chances are they will extend this one. I really need to sell my other rig first though before I start buying again... :o

My other HTPC gaming rig has a Sabertooth and an FX 6100 so I am partly there anyway... :laugh:
Well I broke down and purchased it online and will pickup tues, curse sales!!!! :roll:

The 8150 is not part of the deal so I had to settle for the 8120... Not really a difference except base clock speed? Correct me if I am wrong? They are the same proc??:confused:

I got the 8120 and the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX ... The mobo was free with the proc... I am gonna stick the 6100 in this since it hardly gets used and move the 8120 in my Sabertooth. :rockout:
Posted on Reply
#12
MarcusTaz
erocker said:
It wouldn't be much of an upgrade at all. Though, if you're in the mood to play with something new, I'm all for that. :D
Playing is fun for sure lol

qubit said:
@MarcusTaz

Oh, how I envy your little 7% tax, lol. Here in exorbitantly expensive England, we pay 20% tax on everything. They call it Value Added Tax (VAT).

What joy. :rolleyes:
Yea that does suck... and we complain over here, go fiqure... :eek:
Posted on Reply
#13
Super XP
ViperXTR said:
AMD's FX-8150 After Two Windows 7 Hotfixes And UEFI Updates

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bulldozer-performance,3119.html
I don't like this move Tom's Hardware made by not including games which AMD recommended to test pre-post patches. Tom's Hardware should have "ALSO" included older games with average to low resolutions because many people still run old games at those res.
In this case, we decided to run our complete benchmark suite instead of testing the examples of software that AMD hand-picked as most-affected by Microsoft's scheduling efforts. Old games running at low resolutions, for example, are hardly worth running (beyond their value as synthetics, that is). That's why we spent a few days testing the hardware the way we would use it. And, at the end, we saw little to no improvement from the evolutionary changes implemented by Microsoft and some of AMD's motherboard partners to help augment performance.
MarcusTaz said:
Well I broke down and purchased it online and will pickup tues, curse sales!!!! :roll:

The 8150 is not part of the deal so I had to settle for the 8120... Not really a difference except base clock speed? Correct me if I am wrong? They are the same proc??:confused:

I got the 8120 and the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX ... The mobo was free with the proc... I am gonna stick the 6100 in this since it hardly gets used and move the 8120 in my Sabertooth. :rockout:
Yes they are 100% identicle. Just a multiplier difference. The 8120 OC's very nice on all 8-cores without killing the vCore. Well this is my case along with others which have the FX 8120.
Posted on Reply
#14
xenocide
Super XP said:
I don't like this move Tom's Hardware made by not including games which AMD recommended to test pre-post patches. Tom's Hardware should have "ALSO" included older games with average to low resolutions because many people still run old games at those res.
So you're mad because they did unbias testing? :wtf:
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment