Monday, April 30th 2012

A Crate at TechPowerUp's Doorstep

A little earlier this month, NVIDIA spent quite some money on premium courier to send us a package that wasn't exactly light. On opening it, we found a fun-size steel crowbar with an NVIDIA logo inscribed on it, and a message that read "for use in case of zombies or..." which was pretty cryptic. We thanked NVIDIA for the back-scratching tool, and got back to work. While Gabe Newell made the crowbar a pop-culture symbol, there is only one socially-acceptable use of this otherwise boring tool: opening wooden crates, which were used to ship stuff overseas, before modern containers came to be. One such crate made its way to our doorstep, not floating over the sea, but gliding its way over the Autobahn aboard another expensive "same day" courier.

The top of the crate sure was catchy, which cautioned us of "weapons grade gaming power". Its side had a geekspeak print. "0b1010110010" is binary for "690" (0b is a binary prefix). The other two lines make no sense. Upon opening the crate, and a sheet of foam, there it is, something we'll be toying with for the better part of this week.
We doubt if any AIC partner can match the design finesse of NVIDIA reference design GeForce GTX 690 (pictured below). Built with advanced materials such as a magnesium alloy that supercar engines are made of, NVIDIA's card design has some serious performance-oriented design gone into it. The central portion, which cools the VRM and bridge chip, is made of magnesium alloy, with copper+aluminum channel blocks cool each of the two GeForce Kepler 104 GPU systems.

The GTX 690 has three dual-link DVI connectors and a mini-HDMI, similar to previous-generation GeForce GTX 590. Like the GTX 680, you can run triple-monitor 3DVision Surround setups right off a single card. There's one SLI connector, which lets you pair the card with another of its kind (only). The card uses a 10-phase VRM, which draws power from two 8-pin PCIe power connectors, yet the TDP of the card is rated to be just 300W (relatively, not much).
Last but not the least, is the answer to a looming question with how big the card really is. It occupies no more than two expansion slots, and is just as long as a GTX 590.

As for prices, NVIDIA informed us that apart from its US MSRP of US $999, Britons will be staring at a £829 price-tag, and continental Eurozone buyers at 829€ (excl. VAT). Expect a thorough performance review on May 03.
Add your own comment

101 Comments on A Crate at TechPowerUp's Doorstep

#1
jaredpace
Dave65 said:
Can't wait to see some benchmarks on this puppy.
:nutkick:


Posted on Reply
#2
LaDigital
Price US $999 and no backplate?

Price $999 and no backplate wtf? :nutkick:

But good to see the nice glowing logo on top, me likey :)
Posted on Reply
#3
theoneandonlymrk
neko77025 said:
Now we know why the card is 999.99 ... they spent all their money on over the top packaging and SAME day shipping ... you know how much Same day shipping cost.

Hell, they might need too up the price to 1499.99 if they keep doing stuff like this.
nah the 10 are done and delivered now:p
Posted on Reply
#4
Mussels
Moderprator
someone knows where w1zz lives! his security is weaker than we thought!



internet trolls must now locate his premises so we can steal this card.
Posted on Reply
#5
Akrian
OMG OMG OMG looks sooo sexy...wonder if they are going to make fullcovers for THAT thing.
Also wonder if it actually a good overclocker as Nvidia was mentioning.
Also wondering if 7990 will be just as sexy
*mind explosion*

Lol my 7970 triple-corss doesnt look all that awesome anymore :nutkick:, thankfully I have a 4th card lying under the bench desk...time to water it up soon :rolleyes: ( well and swap one of the cards with low ASIC that pulls my system down, preventing healthy oc, can't seem to get stable past 1200/1600 at 1.225v ( 1.207 real))


P.S. I'm not sure that it's 999$...maybe it's an error ? maybe its .... 666$ >:D
Posted on Reply
#7
fullinfusion
1.21 Gigawatts
And where is AMD with there 7990? Hahaha see what happens when ya get caught taking a nap AMD! :slap:

Now let the pissn match begin :rockout:
Posted on Reply
#8
Googoo24
AMD doesn't appear to care, or they're perfecting the 7990 (I say this with a grain of salt), since it has apparently been pushed back.

Meh, either card is likely to be way too expensive for my peasant budget.
Posted on Reply
#9
fullinfusion
1.21 Gigawatts
Googoo24 said:
AMD doesn't appear to care, or they're perfecting the 7990 (I say this with a grain of salt), since it has apparently been pushed back.

Meh, either card is likely to be way too expensive for my peasant budget.
-adds to your grain of salt- :pimp:

$800 dollar card I can absorb but a $grand! fuck that! excuse ma french :o
Posted on Reply
#10
Absolution
LOL nice crate, lucky guys! :roll:

I wonder if all the review sites got this package or only techpower up
Posted on Reply
#11
entropy13
Absolution said:
I wonder if all the review sites got this package or only techpower up
All major review sites got the crates.
Posted on Reply
#12
NHKS
Thanks for the article on the crate bta!
TPU should start video reviews/previews too IMO!

Posted on Reply
#13
Mussels
Moderprator
NHKS said:
Thanks for the article on the crate bta!
TPU should start video reviews/previews too IMO!


Video reviews are terrible, and a waste of time. its been proven people remember less from a video than they do from text (or we'd learn from videos at school, and not text books) not to mention the ease of comparison between new and old reviews.


video reviews are a complete waste of time.
Posted on Reply
#14
NHKS
Mussels said:

video reviews are a complete waste of time.
did we have a poll on this finding?

I do like videos to supplement text reviews.. not that I want videos to 'replace' text reviews..
previews like this or even tech demos can be an interesting supplement to articles..

that's my personal opinion anyways(i am not demanding it! :o)
Posted on Reply
#15
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
We're too lazy for video reviews. We'd like our audience to read. The consequence of not reading is often typing out a lengthy comment question which is often already answered in the text.
Posted on Reply
#16
fullinfusion
1.21 Gigawatts
Mussels said:
Video reviews are terrible, and a waste of time. its been proven people remember less from a video than they do from text (or we'd learn from videos at school, and not text books) not to mention the ease of comparison between new and old reviews.


video reviews are a complete waste of time.
Says Who? You! :toast:

Agree :rockout:
Posted on Reply
#17
Mussels
Moderprator
fullinfusion said:
Says Who? You! :toast:

Agree :rockout:
i've read quite a few studies on memory, and tricks to help people remember things better. plain text is pretty much the best way there is - for circumstantial evidence, look how traditional learning, and most modern communication is done.

books, text message, email, online text only websites.


if you want to know the phone number for your local KFC, you dont want to sit through a 20 minute video looking for the number - you want it written plainly on your screen.
Posted on Reply
#18
fullinfusion
1.21 Gigawatts
Mussels said:
i've read quite a few studies on memory, and tricks to help people remember things better. plain text is pretty much the best way there is - for circumstantial evidence, look how traditional learning, and most modern communication is done.

books, text message, email, online text only websites.


if you want to know the phone number for your local KFC, you dont want to sit through a 20 minute video looking for the number - you want it written plainly on your screen.
Na I dont need to look for my local number to KFC, I speak to Siri and she tells me what KFC'S number is moohahahahahah
I eat.
I consume Chicken ahahahahahahahah crispy chicken :rockout:
Posted on Reply
#19
mauriek
Nvidia really teach their marketing department very well..

I will find good review elsewhere if TPU start using Video Review..i hate watching 2 different color progress bar racing together and what they call those annoying little twisting circle in the center of video? seriously i love read and take my time to absorb the review and carefully examine the performance number.
Posted on Reply
#20
fullinfusion
1.21 Gigawatts
mauriek said:
Nvidia really teach their marketing department very well..

I will find good review elsewhere if TPU start using Video Review..i hate watching 2 different color progress bar racing together and what they call those annoying little twisting circle in the center of video? seriously i love read and take my time to absorb the review and carefully examine the performance number.
Oh well you one of few mate... Best of luck to ya :respect:
Posted on Reply
#21
Hayder_Master
jaredpace said:
:nutkick:

http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/grafiek/8996/143672,143673,147071,147072,136493,133573,134539,134566,134562,123480,115839,133518,113521,108228,148853,148954,149481,149480/?colors=FF0000,FF0000,FF0000,FF0000,FF0000,FF0000,FF0000,FF0000,FF0000,00FF00,00FF00,00FF00,00FF00,00FF00,0000FF,0000FF,0000FF,0000FF
http://www.sweclockers.com/image/diagram/2875?k=532f243c1f0a96049ea68927d8c72348
that's cuz high resolutions, advantage for high memory size for sue, if they try the GTX680 4GB version it will kill 7970.
Posted on Reply
#22
Akrian
Hayder_Master said:
that's cuz high resolutions, advantage for high memory size for sue, if they try the GTX680 4GB version it will kill 7970.
Exactly the point =) yet Nvidia sells 2gb by default and prices in stores atm are higher then for ref. 7970 ( in many countries around the world, excluding U.S.). Begs the question why the cheapened-out on more memory, if their chip is less expensive the amd's to produce ? ( yeah yeah, aside from "profit", "profit", "profit" scheme)
Posted on Reply
#23
Prima.Vera
From those charts the conclusion is that AMD Cross scales a lot better than nvidia's SLI. So this could mean that also 7990 could be faster than 690...hmmmm. Interesting.
Posted on Reply
#24
Akrian
Prima.Vera said:
From those charts the conclusion is that AMD Cross scales a lot better than nvidia's SLI. So this could mean that also 7990 could be faster than 690...hmmmm. Interesting.
You are forgetting to add "when it works".

My current triplefire fails misirably in Skyrim and New vegas, when according to afterburner the gpu 3 is just sleeping, and gpu's 1 and 2 are going all over the place from 0% usage ( on both) to 70% usage on both, each location seems to trigger something in the driver that begins this crazy cycle.

Offtopic: Oh and I get artifacts on the screen sometimes in skyrim, thought that might be the issue with the overclock -> but nope, same on default settings.
I saw similar problem in Heaven, when you get the dragon flight-around during sunset, break texture lines, both on OC and default. Strange problem is -> doesnt happen in 3dmark 2011 on any settings, doesnt happen in BF3/Metro 2033/ Crysis 2 on any settings. Granted I didn't do a clean install of windows after my nvidia cards....cause I'm lazzy, and that might be the case, but still annyoing.
Posted on Reply
#25
Xzibit
Akrian said:
You are forgetting to add "when it works".

My current triplefire fails misirably in Skyrim and New vegas, when according to afterburner the gpu 3 is just sleeping, and gpu's 1 and 2 are going all over the place from 0% usage ( on both) to 70% usage on both, each location seems to trigger something in the driver that begins this crazy cycle.

Offtopic: Oh and I get artifacts on the screen sometimes in skyrim, thought that might be the issue with the overclock -> but nope, same on default settings.
I saw similar problem in Heaven, when you get the dragon flight-around during sunset, break texture lines, both on OC and default. Strange problem is -> doesnt happen in 3dmark 2011 on any settings, doesnt happen in BF3/Metro 2033/ Crysis 2 on any settings. Granted I didn't do a clean install of windows after my nvidia cards....cause I'm lazzy, and that might be the case, but still annyoing.
Hey atleast you have a possible solution to your issue at hand. 3 of my systems with Nvidia cards have the annoying WMC reset/refresh/freeze issue and in 3D phase a 1-2second refresh. You ever try playing a MMO PvP or a Multiplayer FPS and have the screen reset on you for 2 seconds out of nowhere. The only semi-cure is reverting back to 27x.xx series drivers but that fixes the WMC issue and the 3D phase refresh isnt as frequent.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment