Tuesday, April 1st 2014

AMD Amends Wafer Supply Agreement With GLOBALFOUNDRIES

AMD today announced that it amended its Wafer Supply Agreement (WSA) with GLOBALFOUNDRIES Inc. for 2014. Under the terms of the amendment, AMD and GLOBALFOUNDRIES agreed on purchase commitments for 2014 and established fixed pricing and other terms of the WSA which apply to products AMD will purchase from GLOBALFOUNDRIES.

Under this amendment AMD expects to pay GLOBALFOUNDRIES approximately $1.2 billion in 2014. These purchases contemplate AMD's current PC market expectations and the manufacturing of certain Graphics Processor Units (GPUs) and semi-custom game console products at GLOBALFOUNDRIES in 2014. The 2014 amendment does not impact AMD's 2014 financial goals including gross margin.

"The successful close of our amended wafer supply agreement with GLOBALFOUNDRIES demonstrates the continued commitment from our two companies to strengthen our business relationship as long-term strategic partners, and GLOBALFOUNDRIES' ability to execute in alignment with our product roadmap," said Rory Read, president and chief executive officer, AMD. "This latest step in AMD's continued transformation plays a critical role in our goals for 2014."
Add your own comment

11 Comments on AMD Amends Wafer Supply Agreement With GLOBALFOUNDRIES

#1
Hilux SSRG
"The successful close of our amended wafer supply agreement with GLOBALFOUNDRIES demonstrates the continued commitment from our two companies to strengthen our business relationship as long-term strategic partners, and GLOBALFOUNDRIES' ability to execute in alignment with our product roadmap," said Rory Read, president and chief executive officer, AMD."

I love the PR spin. As if many of us didn't know AMD and GLOBALFOUNDRIES were once a single company.
Posted on Reply
#2
Jorge
The news release has nothing to do with the two now independent companies having once been one. The release indicates that AMD is continuing it's exclusive production agree buy-out with GloFo so that AMD can use whatever Fabs can best meet it's needs for a variety of current and future products. That's all there is. No magic or issues just confirmation of execution on the agreement.
Posted on Reply
#3
Hilux SSRG
Jorge said:
The news release has nothing to do with the two now independent companies having once been one. The release indicates that AMD is continuing it's exclusive production agree buy-out with GloFo so that AMD can use whatever Fabs can best meet it's needs for a variety of current and future products. That's all there is. No magic or issues just confirmation of execution on the agreement.
But Jorge you are incorrect.

The quote I selected in my previous post just highlights PR nonsense being spouted out every couple of years. Nothing to do with whom AMD will get their chips made.
Posted on Reply
#4
Steevo
These purchases contemplate AMD's current PC market expectations



The purchases are aware? Holy shit, this is the real news!!!!
Posted on Reply
#5
Hilux SSRG
Steevo said:
These purchases contemplate AMD's current PC market expectations



The purchases are aware? Holy shit, this is the real news!!!!
:laugh: :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#6
HumanSmoke
Steevo said:
These purchases contemplate AMD's current PC market expectations
The purchases are aware? Holy shit, this is the real news!!!!
AMD's cheque/check writing machine pass the Turing Test or AMD PR flack and copywriters fail the Correct Use of Big Words Test.
At least the PR release only hit the tech sites.....nvm
Posted on Reply
#7
jagd
Yes they were and AMD could not keep building new fabs and pay the bill for new tech for old fabs. What is AMD's total market value now AT NYSE ? Globalfoundries new york fab module 1 costed around 6.9 billions $ and module 2 will be 10 billions $ http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/2163/globalfoundries-to-build-15b-fab-in-upstate-new-york-could-it-be-for-apple .Tell me how would AMD build this fabs ? If you are looking someone to get angry try intel for underhanded tactis used against AMD .

Hilux SSRG said:
"

I love the PR spin. As if many of us didn't know AMD and GLOBALFOUNDRIES were once a single company.
Posted on Reply
#8
Casecutter
Yes this line, "These purchases contemplate AMD's current PC market expectations" is actually from the PR release.
http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-amends-wafer-2014apr1.aspx

The word "aware" is not the proper insertion.

The meaning here is; to look at or view with continued attention; observe or study thoughtfully; to consider thoroughly; think fully or deeply about.
Thesaurus: anticipate, expect, consider, intend, envisage…
Posted on Reply
#9
Eagleye
I want to see AMD GPU`s built on GLOFO as well as TSMC
Posted on Reply
#10
Redwoodz
Hilux SSRG said:
But Jorge you are incorrect.

The quote I selected in my previous post just highlights PR nonsense being spouted out every couple of years. Nothing to do with whom AMD will get their chips made.
Just because you don't comprehend does not make it nonsense. What he is saying is, we are continuing our relationship because they have shown they can meet our future demands,which was not always certain in the past.
Posted on Reply
#11
Hilux SSRG
Redwoodz said:
Just because you don't comprehend does not make it nonsense. What he is saying is, we are continuing our relationship because they have shown they can meet our future demands,which was not always certain in the past.
Redwoodz/possibly Jorge? bc you are a new member with one post?

I comprehend just fine - don't antagonize. My opinion is my opinion. If you disagree that's like your opinion man.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment