Thursday, January 22nd 2015

AMD to Launch New GPUs and APUs Only After March: CEO

In its an investor conference-call following its Q4-2014 and FY-2014 results, AMD stated that it will release new GPU and APU products starting Q2-2015, or only after March. "Going into the second quarter and the second half of the year with our new product launches, I think we feel very good about where we are positioned there," said Lisa Su, chief executive officer.

Q2-2015 will start off with the company's "Carrizo" line of all-in-one and notebook APUs. These chips will integrate the company's new "Excavator" CPU cores, with an integrated graphics core based on Graphics CoreNext 1.2 architecture (the same one AMD built its "Tonga" GPU on). Around the same time, AMD will launch new Opteron "Seattle" enterprise CPUs, which integrate up to eight ARM Cortex A-57 64-bit cores, targeting the ultra-dense server market. In Q2-2015, AMD will launch its latest Radeon Rx 300 series graphics processors. Its performance-segment part, the R9 380, will feature 4,096 GCN 1.2 cores, double that of its predecessor, and 4 GB of stacked HBM (high-bandwidth memory). Its mid-range chip, codenamed "Trinidad" will succeed "Curacao," and offer performance competitive to the $200-ish price-point.
Source: KitGuru
Add your own comment

48 Comments on AMD to Launch New GPUs and APUs Only After March: CEO

#1
Dionysus
If AMD does launch the 380 at ~$200 price point, this could be a really interesting year for the GPU sector. If it's power consumption is similar to it's competition, I might be incline to giving them a try, this go 'round.
Posted on Reply
#2
dj-electric
I'm really crossing my fingers for this year for AMD. They gotta come back before they fall.
Posted on Reply
#3
Dionysus
I think they will, as the APU's are providing decent options to the budget sector, with good, not decent, iGPU's. AMD will NOT be launching a new mainstream processor this year, and it's all but official that the FX line is dead. They brought back one of the original engineers of the K6-2 days, so next year might be a very promising year in the mainstream sector. You remember those days? When AMD had Intel against the ropes? Ah, good old days. XD
Posted on Reply
#4
fdz
Dionysus said:
If AMD does launch the 380 at ~$200 price point, this could be a really interesting year for the GPU sector. If it's power consumption is similar to it's competition, I might be incline to giving them a try, this go 'round.
Don't bother.
"Its mid-range chip, codenamed "Trinidad" will succeed "Curacao," and offer performance competitive to the $200-ish price-point."------------R9 370 $200
Posted on Reply
#5
Naito
Dj-ElectriC said:
I'm really crossing my fingers for this year for AMD. They gotta come back before they fall.
I won't be convinced either way, until I see Zen.
Posted on Reply
#6
NC37
Dionysus said:
I think they will, as the APU's are providing decent options to the budget sector, with good, not decent, iGPU's. AMD will NOT be launching a new mainstream processor this year, and it's all but official that the FX line is dead. They brought back one of the original engineers of the K6-2 days, so next year might be a very promising year in the mainstream sector. You remember those days? When AMD had Intel against the ropes? Ah, good old days. XD
Who had spent the last years working on ARM based CPUs for Apple. AMD releasing Opteron ARM CPUs can't be a coincidence.

Investing in GPU computing, RISC, and shuttering mainstream x86. All the while with Intel sitting around on their laurels. The power of guerilla tactics in the market is the ability to shift quickly and take risks. Intel can't with them being the super power. Either AMD's plan will be insanely good and be a game changer or flop horrifically. Will be interesting to watch either way.
Posted on Reply
#7
RejZoR
4096 stream processors on a single GPU? Isn't that a 295X2 performance on a single chip + buffer compression and newer GCN cores. That'll be sweet. Not expecting it to be cheap though, but this might be the first time I'll actually take the very top model...

EDIT:
Apparently not quite 295X2, but certainly above HD7990...
Posted on Reply
#8
Prima.Vera
Dionysus said:
If AMD does launch the 380 at ~$200 price point, ...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :))
Posted on Reply
#9
64K
Looks like that R9 380 will be a beast.
Posted on Reply
#10
TheGuruStud
This is bullshit. Steamroller is decently faster than pile driver and excavator will be even better....but no desktop (apu doesn't count)?

With a lot of fast cache it would be nice. Cheapskate MFers.
Posted on Reply
#11
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
btarunr said:
Its performance-segment part, the R9 380, will feature 4,096 GCN 1.2 cores, double that of its predecessor, and 4 GB of stacked HBM (high-bandwidth memory).
Posted on Reply
#12
happita
FordGT90Concept said:

How long have you had your 5870? Only asking because I couldn't hold out anymore last year and upgraded from my ancient 5850 to my 290. Might upgrade to this series because my chip runs a little hot on load unless I crank up the fans.

I'm hoping their top 2 single chip GPUs are both going to be stronger than 290X, if that's the case, I might get it depending on the price.

I find it cool that Lisa Su is the one who made this announcement. Shows that she is a "taking charge" kinda lady. If she were halfway decent looking when she was young...............................................okay, let me NOT go there! :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#13
de.das.dude
Pro Indian Modder
Dionysus said:
I think they will, as the APU's are providing decent options to the budget sector, with good, not decent, iGPU's. AMD will NOT be launching a new mainstream processor this year, and it's all but official that the FX line is dead. They brought back one of the original engineers of the K6-2 days, so next year might be a very promising year in the mainstream sector. You remember those days? When AMD had Intel against the ropes? Ah, good old days. XD
mainstream fx series is not dead. they will bring out a new processor in 1.5-2 years time, but wouldnt confirm if it was going to be 9xx chipset/AM3+ series compatible
Posted on Reply
#14
TRWOV
No love for AM1? :cry:
Posted on Reply
#15
Sony Xperia S
happita said:
How long have you had your 5870? Only asking because I couldn't hold out anymore last year and upgraded from my ancient 5850 to my 290. Might upgrade to this series because my chip runs a little hot on load unless I crank up the fans.
Even with 5850/5870/6870 you have quite nice frame rates at 1080p, nice and beautiful graphics in Crysis 3, F1 2014. :) Not maxed out, but still pretty nice.



Now, I have heard about AMD Trinidad...
Posted on Reply
#16
Ebo
I just want the top tier, the R9 390x, the rest I dont even consider. I want the best of the best no matter the price.
Posted on Reply
#17
Sony Xperia S
Ebo said:
I just want the top tier, the R9 390x, the rest I dont even consider. I want the best of the best no matter the price.
U must be having unlimited infinite resources then. :)
Posted on Reply
#18
Lionheart
Ebo said:
I just want the top tier, the R9 390x, the rest I dont even consider. I want the best of the best no matter the price.
Your avatar pic goes well with your comment lolz :rockout:
Posted on Reply
#19
GhostRyder
Honestly, taking their time is not exactly great for them but in the end it could be more than enough to get an edge where they need it. The R9 380X sounds like a beast honestly and its funny if that is going to be the next top card to come from them as it is. With that many cores its going to be pretty powerful, I just want to see the final specs and core clocks especially how well it clocks up and such. Still wonder what the launch price will be though honestly I will probably be waiting this one out and even if I consider and upgrade it will be on the R9 390X or R9 490X depending on release dates and if things start to struggle.

As far as APU's go, they just need more OEM support already. Get some more laptops with higher ram speeds focused on the power of the iGPU on the APU to really snatch some more areas. I want to walk into BestBuy and see more than 2 AMD laptops out of 20...(for the record I am referring to the ones near me as I know there are more).
Posted on Reply
#20
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
happita said:
How long have you had your 5870? Only asking because I couldn't hold out anymore last year and upgraded from my ancient 5850 to my 290. Might upgrade to this series because my chip runs a little hot on load unless I crank up the fans.
Since 2009/2010. I don't really care too much about games look, I just need 60+ fps at 1920x1200. If I have to play on low to get that, I'll play on low. I could hold out a little while longer but not much.
Posted on Reply
#21
arbiter
4096core r9 380 at 200$? yea right not a chance it will sell that cheap. more like 500$ is the likely price point. Even with 20nm shrink, the chip will be least size of 290x, being on new node and new memory. its not gonna be 200$, AMD can't afford that.


RejZoR said:
4096 stream processors on a single GPU? Isn't that a 295X2 performance on a single chip + buffer compression and newer GCN cores. That'll be sweet. Not expecting it to be cheap though, but this might be the first time I'll actually take the very top model...

EDIT:
Apparently not quite 295X2, but certainly above HD7990...
Yea with what kinda power draw numbers? 400+watts?
Posted on Reply
#22
Dionysus
arbiter said:
4096core r9 380 at 200$? yea right not a chance it will sell that cheap. more like 500$ is the likely price point. Even with 20nm shrink, the chip will be least size of 290x, being on new node and new memory. its not gonna be 200$, AMD can't afford that.




Yea with what kinda power draw numbers? 400+watts?
I really doubt they'll drop it into the $400-$500 bracket, especially if they aren't able to tame the power draw. We're all just speculating anyway, and I jumped the gun with the assumption of the 380X being ~$200, it'll be the 370/X that'll be in the $200 price range. I would expect the 380/X to be in the $300-$400 range, to be competitive with nVidia.
Posted on Reply
#23
midnightoil
Dionysus said:
If AMD does launch the 380 at ~$200 price point, this could be a really interesting year for the GPU sector. If it's power consumption is similar to it's competition, I might be incline to giving them a try, this go 'round.
You expect a card that is likely to be at least 30% faster than the 980 to sell for less than $200? Dream on.

As for me, I'm very curious to see just how big and how fast the 390(x) turns out to be. All the rumours put it very, very fast (almost as quick as the 295X2).
Posted on Reply
#24
arbiter
Dionysus said:
If AMD does launch the 380 at ~$200 price point, this could be a really interesting year for the GPU sector. If it's power consumption is similar to it's competition, I might be incline to giving them a try, this go 'round.
What in hell makes you think that AMD has the process tech to 2x the shader cores over a 285 which uses 200watts at 2048, yet some how cut power draw in half? Seriously what are smoking to think that is possible, I sure as hell want some of that. On top of that you think 200% for that card, yea only way AMD would do that price is if they were trying to bankrupt themselves. There is no way that card won't start least 500+$.
Posted on Reply
#25
Prima.Vera
happita said:
How long have you had your 5870? Only asking because I couldn't hold out anymore last year and upgraded from my ancient 5850 to my 290. Might upgrade to this series because my chip runs a little hot on load unless I crank up the fans.
I upgraded from x2 5870 CFX, to a 780Ti last year and the performance increase was crazy. Probably mainly because of tripling the frame-buffer from 1 to 3GB. But even with the 780Ti cannot play with more than 4xAA antialias before the perf goes downside in the latest games.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment