Monday, March 7th 2016

ASUS Intros MG24UQ 24-inch Ultra HD Monitor

ASUS rolled out a gaming-grade - although not ROG-branded - 24-inch Ultra HD monitor, the MG24UQ. This display features a 23.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 pixels) IPS panel, with 4 ms response time, a wide color gamut with 100% sRGB coverage, 300 cd/m² maximum brightness, dynamic mega-contrast ratio, and a maximum color depth of 16.7 million. The monitor takes input from HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2. Gamer-friendly features include ASUS GamePlus - a set of six display presets that suit different game genres, and ASUS GameVisual, a feature which works to reduce LED flicker and blue light, over extended periods of gameplay. ASUS didn't reveal pricing.
Add your own comment

11 Comments on ASUS Intros MG24UQ 24-inch Ultra HD Monitor

#1
wolar
Why is it listed as gaming? i mean it doesn't have freesync/gsync, more than 60hz refresh rate or anything.. It is just a 4k monitor right ?
Posted on Reply
#2
EzioAs
wolar said:
Why is it listed as gaming? i mean it doesn't have freesync/gsync, more than 60hz refresh rate or anything.. It is just a 4k monitor right ?
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) isn't necessary to label a monitor as a gaming monitor nor does >60Hz. I'm guessing ASUS justified the monitor as a gaming oriented product because of the low response time and the ASUS gamer-friendly features. There isn't really any lines, regulations or standards for a gaming-oriented product other than what we all ideally desire.

For example, while I mostly used my computer for gaming, my ideal monitor right now would be a 4K/UHD, VRR, 27-30" size, IPS, good colours (native 8-bit + FRC) and a decent response time (5ms). I'm not looking into extremely low response time nor higher than 60Hz refresh rate.

EDIT: changed 5s to 5ms.
Posted on Reply
#3
lZKoce
wolar said:
Why is it listed as gaming? i mean it doesn't have freesync/gsync, more than 60hz refresh rate or anything.. It is just a 4k monitor right ?
It says "gaming- grade" . That's like eIPS = economy IPS. You know it's kinda IPS (6 - bit colour ), but not a full-fledged IPS ( 8-bit/ 10-bit colour ) .

The marketing department clearly communicates to the target audience what this is about + what the previous comment said.
Posted on Reply
#4
Jermelescu
EzioAs said:
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) isn't necessary to label a monitor as a gaming monitor nor does >60Hz. I'm guessing ASUS justified the monitor as a gaming oriented product because of the low response time and the ASUS gamer-friendly features. There isn't really any lines, regulations or standards for a gaming-oriented product other than what we all ideally desire.

For example, while I mostly used my computer for gaming, my ideal monitor right now would be a 4K/UHD, VRR, 27-30" size, IPS, good colours (native 8-bit + FRC) and a decent response time (5s). I'm not looking into extremely low response time nor higher than 60Hz refresh rate.
5s response time is a bit less than decent in my book :p
Posted on Reply
#5
EzioAs
Jermelescu said:
5s response time is a bit less than decent in my book :p
I failed. Meant to say 5ms.
Posted on Reply
#6
bug
a wide color gamut with 100% sRGB coverage
Is there such a thing as a wide gamut display that doesn't cover 100% of the sRGB space?
Posted on Reply
#7
Prima.Vera
Sorry Assus. A gaming monitor in my book right now is one of those curved 34 IPS inchers with
3440×1440 resolution.
Posted on Reply
#8
trog100
for anyone daft enough to want to play games at 4K on 24 inch monitor it should do the job fine..

i assume because it lacks the rog brand and the other fancy bits the price should be good..

trog
Posted on Reply
#9
Octavean
trog100 said:
for anyone daft enough to want to play games at 4K on 24 inch monitor it should do the job fine..

i assume because it lacks the rog brand and the other fancy bits the price should be good..

trog
Define good,...
Posted on Reply
#10
GhostRyder
trog100 said:
for anyone daft enough to want to play games at 4K on 24 inch monitor it should do the job fine..

i assume because it lacks the rog brand and the other fancy bits the price should be good..

trog
I do not think gaming will be the primary problem, it will be everything else without setting a custom zoom and hoping that does not mess anything up (Including games).
Posted on Reply
#11
Ferrum Master
GhostRyder said:
I do not think gaming will be the primary problem, it will be everything else without setting a custom zoom and hoping that does not mess anything up (Including games).
I just got a 4K BL3201PT from RMA.. they gave me instead BL3200... The scaling is is horrid... nothing is really ready for 4K yet...
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment