Monday, October 3rd 2016

GIGABYTE Intros the GeForce GTX 1080 TT Graphics Card

GIGABYTE unveiled its very own lateral-blower cooled GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card, the GTX 1080 TT (model: GV-N1080TTOC-8GD). This card is characterized by the new WindForce Turbo Fan lateral-blower type cooler that pushes hot air out of your case, much like the reference-design (Founders Edition) card. It features a slick cooler shroud that has design elements from the company's Xtreme Gaming cards.

Under the hood, the cooler features a dense copper heat pipe-fed aluminium channel heatsink, ventilated by the lateral blower. This heatsink features three 6 mm-thick copper heat pipes that make direct contact with the GPU die, while an aluminium plate draws heat from the memory and VRM. The card offers factory-overclocked speeds of 1657 MHz core, 1797 MHz GPU Boost (OC mode); 1632 MHz core, 1772 MHz GPU Boost (out of the box); with the memory untouched at 10 GHz (GDDR5X-effective). The card draws power from a single 8-pin PCIe power connector. GIGABYTE didn't reveal pricing, although we expect this to be the company's cheapest GTX 1080 offering.
Add your own comment

23 Comments on GIGABYTE Intros the GeForce GTX 1080 TT Graphics Card

#1
chinmi
I wonder if its gonna be loud. These kind of blower type cooler were usually louder and less effective on cooling the cards, right??
Posted on Reply
#2
ZoneDymo
chinmi said:
I wonder if its gonna be loud. These kind of blower type cooler were usually louder and less effective on cooling the cards, right??
true but the heatpipe description makes me think it might be solid.
Posted on Reply
#3
Melvis
chinmi said:
I wonder if its gonna be loud. These kind of blower type cooler were usually louder and less effective on cooling the cards, right??
They used to be loud thats correct, my old 4870X2's where like a vacuum cleaner BUT they kept them selves at 80c flat out in crossfire. But today I really starting to like the blower type coolers because there now very quiet, they cool well and are the best in multi card configurations. My 7870's and 280x's in crossfire would cook them selves to death where my 4870X2's wouldnt all because of the blower design cooler.

When i get a spare $300 ill get a second GTX 970 to match my current one and I know it will run cool and quiet in SLi because of the blower design.

Die shrinks and a lot less power draw from todays cards helps alot with these blower design coolers :)
Posted on Reply
#4
bogami
Years have passed since I mentioned the possibility of disconnection of the old very rare a used connection. We would gain improved cooling and space smoothing of this type, is it really so expensive?! ,and blocks users would also be pleased of the resulting space. It woud obtained in this case, 40% of the maximum input area to the air !
Posted on Reply
#5
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
Looks a bit fugly, but I'd consider it if I was in the market for a cheaper GTX 1080.

That single 8-pin power connector suggests some cost-cutting on the mobo design however with less overclocking potential, so it should be fairly cheap. It would be interesting to see how this compares to other GTX 1080s, especially the FE version.

@W1zzard Any chance of badgering you into reviewing it? ;)

EDIT: Yes, I have seen them with one connector, lol. My Palit one has two connectors because it's high end so I forgot, lol.
Posted on Reply
#6
Vayra86
Blower style... this is going to throttle or sound like an airplane.

Copper heatpipes won't change that. And the FE managed to throttle and be an airplane.
Posted on Reply
#7
DarkHill
qubit said:

That single 8-pin power connector suggests some cost-cutting on the mobo design however with less overclocking potential, so it should be fairly cheap.
What lost OC potential would that be? All pascals everyone has reviewed so far OCs(boosts) to within 50-100MHz of each other, no-matter how many power pins the board has.

The advantage of blower fans has always been that they remove the heat from the system, not just cirle it around.

There is a good chance that this board is using the reference design - thus a likely candiate for anyone wanting to put a custom loop on there or using a cheaper AIO solution.
Posted on Reply
#8
Vayra86
DarkHill said:
What lost OC potential would that be? All pascals everyone has reviewed so far OCs(boosts) to within 50-100MHz of each other, no-matter how many power pins the board has.

The advantage of blower fans has always been that they remove the heat from the system, not just cirle it around.

There is a good chance that this board is using the reference design - thus a likely candiate for anyone wanting to put a custom loop on there or using a cheaper AIO solution.
Pascal can boost up to 2000mhz but only the well cooled ones can hold a 1900 mhz or higher clock during gaming. Pascal clocks fluctuate, better cooling = more stable clocks. Blowers on Pascal are going to impact performance directly, there is no way you can get stable clocks and they are going to dip down into 1800 or lower. With Maxwell and Kepler, at least you could lock down a base clock and all you would lose was 13-26 mhz of Keplerboost while accepting a higher temperature.
Posted on Reply
#9
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
DarkHill said:
What lost OC potential would that be? All pascals everyone has reviewed so far OCs(boosts) to within 50-100MHz of each other, no-matter how many power pins the board has.
Have you seen other models with just one connector? I haven't. The design might be power efficient, but it still draws quite a lot in absolute terms so that second power connector is still needed, even if the overclocks are held back by the vbios.

Also, if Gigabyte have saved pennies with only one connector, it suggests that they've done that on the power circuitry too (and other places) which would very likely reduce overclock performance and have higher coil whine.
Posted on Reply
#10
DarkHill
Vayra86 said:
Pascal can boost up to 2000mhz but only the well cooled ones can hold a 1900 mhz or higher clock during gaming. Pascal clocks fluctuate, better cooling = more stable clocks. Blowers on Pascal are going to impact performance directly, there is no way you can get stable clocks and they are going to dip down into 1800 or lower. With Maxwell and Kepler, at least you could lock down a base clock and all you would lose was 13-26 mhz of Keplerboost while accepting a higher temperature.
ah, but the argument, was power delivery, not cooling performance.

Also, a proper cooler is definitely better in almost all circumstances, but the blower coolers has their place in small formfactor enclosures as well as multigpu builds with close pci-e placement

qubit said:
Have you seen other models with just one connector? I haven't. The design might be power efficient, but it still draws quite a lot in absolute terms so that second power connector is still needed, even if the overclocks are held back by the vbios.

Also, if Gigabyte have saved pennies with only one connector, it suggests that they've done that on the power circuitry too (and other places) which would very likely reduce overclock performance and have higher coil whine.
Are you for real or trolling, i cant tell. Most of the early cards were with one connector(since they used the ref design layout), the FE, the evga SC, MSI Aero, MSI Armor, even the MSI Seahawk, Asus Turbo are just some of the examples
Posted on Reply
#11
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
DarkHill said:
Are you for real or trolling, i cant tell.
Hey, who are you to come on this forum and start accusing me of trolling? What kind of a crappy attitude is that? Reported.
Posted on Reply
#12
Air
bogami said:
Years have passed since I mentioned the possibility of disconnection of the old very rare a used connection. We would gain improved cooling and space smoothing of this type, is it really so expensive?! ,and blocks users would also be pleased of the resulting space. It woud obtained in this case, 40% of the maximum input area to the air !
Are you talking about the dvi connector? I so, i agree, it seems to block most of the airflow and should be removed on radial fan coolers.
Posted on Reply
#13
Vayra86
qubit said:
Hey, who are you to come on this forum and start accusing me of trolling? What kind of a crappy attitude is that? Reported.
Hate to break it but he has a point

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2839/geforce-gtx-1080

The original spec is 1x8pin and these cards are held back by cooling, not power delivery, and 180w TDP doesn't really require anything more, on 1x8pin there is even some headroom. It's just our overclocker's heart talking here.

@DarkHill power delivery is closely related to cooling solution. Lower temps = less current leakage = greater OC potential within the same power envelope. Regardless, the reviewed versions mostly hit 2000 mhz and are definitely using more than the original board TDP of 180w, and definitely have a use of extra power connectors and dó use more power in general. Up to the point that those cards lose the perf/watt efficiency Pascal is known for.
Posted on Reply
#14
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
Vayra86 said:
Hate to break it but he has a point

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2839/geforce-gtx-1080

The original spec is 1x8pin and these cards are held back by cooling, not power delivery, and 180w TDP doesn't really require anything more, on 1x8pin there is even some headroom. It's just our overclocker's heart talking here.
It's not the point he's making, but the attitude that I've reported him for. All he had to do was talk to me in the sensible manner that you do and I'd have been happy to stand corrected.

I checked the FE review afterwards and realized that my memory had gone into a silly meltdown over the number of connectors since my Palit one has two and then edited post 6 to reflect this. So yes of course, it's not the single connector that's holding it back, but the cooler, as you say. :)
Posted on Reply
#15
owen10578
qubit said:
Have you seen other models with just one connector? I haven't. The design might be power efficient, but it still draws quite a lot in absolute terms so that second power connector is still needed, even if the overclocks are held back by the vbios.

Also, if Gigabyte have saved pennies with only one connector, it suggests that they've done that on the power circuitry too (and other places) which would very likely reduce overclock performance and have higher coil whine.
You're kidding right? There are LOADs of cards with only 1 connector and even then it's more than enough for the 180W TDP with room for overclocking. Example is the founder's card...

Edit: just seen the correction at post 6 lol
Posted on Reply
#16
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
owen10578 said:
You're kidding right? There are LOADs of cards with only 1 connector and even then it's more than enough for the 180W TDP with room for overclocking. Example is the founder's card...
Check out post 6. :)
Posted on Reply
#17
DarkHill
@DarkHill power delivery is closely related to cooling solution. Lower temps = less current leakage = greater OC potential within the same power envelope. Regardless, the reviewed versions mostly hit 2000 mhz and are definitely using more than the original board TDP of 180w, and definitely have a use of extra power connectors and dó use more power in general. Up to the point that those cards lose the perf/watt efficiency Pascal is known for.
So far i havent seen a single review that can point to the single powerconnector as the limiting factor, in fact it seems that not even the ones with dual 8 pin and a 14+3 has any noticable advantage over the ones with 1 power connector and a simple 6 phase, not to any greate extend atleast. Some report slightly more stable boosts (ie less fluctuation) but its very slight, and nothing that actually has any measurable difference.

Cooling ofcourse can have a major effect on the boost clock, so a properly cooled 1 pin /6 phase card will have a better and more stable OC than a 2pin 14+3 phased one have.
Posted on Reply
#18
Vayra86
DarkHill said:
So far i havent seen a single review that can point to the single powerconnector as the limiting factor, in fact it seems that not even the ones with dual 8 pin and a 14+3 has any noticable advantage over the ones with 1 power connector and a simple 6 phase, not to any greate extend atleast. Some report slightly more stable boosts (ie less fluctuation) but its very slight, and nothing that actually has any measurable difference.

Cooling ofcourse can have a major effect on the boost clock, so a properly cooled 1 pin /6 phase card will have a better and more stable OC than a 2pin 14+3 phased one have.
Up until the point you get unlucky on the silicon lottery and your specific chip *does* require a bit more juice to hit the requested clocks. That power connector isn't there for nothing, mileage varies per chip.
Posted on Reply
#19
TheinsanegamerN
Vayra86 said:
Up until the point you get unlucky on the silicon lottery and your specific chip *does* require a bit more juice to hit the requested clocks. That power connector isn't there for nothing, mileage varies per chip.
You mean like those golden examples nvidia used that OCed to 2.4 GHz on a single 8 pin connector?

the 1080 really doesnt need more power. Pascal is running against a clockspeed wall, and all third party designs give you is a quieter design if you only use 1 GPU in a non cramped case.
Posted on Reply
#20
Vayra86
Again, untrue.

1x6 + 1x8 pin MSI Gaming X + 2x8 pin Zotac

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X/28.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1080_Amp/3.html

Look at the clock median here.

Now look at this.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X/22.html

254w max

Now the Gigabyte G1 - 1x 8pin
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_G1_Gaming/22.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_G1_Gaming/28.html

Look at clock median and spread.

Note that these are all cards that don't throttle. Pascal wants more juice to keep a higher clock median and reduce clock spread, and runs past 1x8 pin+ PCIe slot power draw limits to do so.

With Pascal OCing, what matters is not the highest achievable clock on the card, but the highest average clockspeed across a full play session. And to get reliable results on that, you want more than 180w and additional connectors. This will ensure you keep your OC intact when the game load is 100% and pushing all buttons on the card. It may seem like a little detail at a glance, but its not - you especially WANT that OC performance when the game you're running really needs the performance, and only the cards with more connectors offer that - in other words, only those cards offer a meaningful OC, the others dip in clocks when the going gets tough.

Always keep in mind that every architecture has its own quirks, Pascal is a different beast than Kepler or Maxwell.
Posted on Reply
#21
RejZoR
With those extra heatpipes, I think this is what GTX 1080 FE should be in the first place. It should be slightly quieter and also not thermally limited. Heatpipes do help. A LOT.
Posted on Reply
#22
lorraine walsh
Looks bretty good, would look alot better if the orange segments were rgb instead.
Posted on Reply
#23
D007
lol @ the name, looking like a consumer crying about the price.. TT
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment