Monday, March 27th 2017

Intel X99 Chipset Successor is the X299, Spotted Alongside Core i7-7740K

Intel's next-generation HEDT processor platform, based on the "Kaby Lake" micro-architecture, is the 7th generation Core i7 "Kaby Lake-X" family. The platform is based on the new LGA2066 CPU socket, and a new motherboard chipset, the Intel X299 Express. The platform builds on the strengths of the Intel HEDT (high-end desktop) market-segment, in offering double the memory bandwidth and PCIe lanes as the LGA1151 mainline desktop platform, and succeeds the current Core "Broadwell-E" family processors that run on socket LGA2011v3 motherboards, with Intel X99 Express chipsets.

The first chip on the X299 platform isn't a meaty two-figure core-count chip, but the 4-core Intel Core i7-7740K. This chip lacks an integrated graphics core. Its TDP has been increased to 112W from 91W of the i7-7700K. Someone with access to an i7-7740K sample paired it with an ASRock X299 Fatal1ty Gaming i7 motherboard, and posted SiSoft SANDRA processor arithmetic and multimedia performance scores of the chip. The chip performs close to the Ryzen 5 1600X six-core chip, but falls short of the Ryzen 7 1800X.
Source: VideoCardz
Add your own comment

49 Comments on Intel X99 Chipset Successor is the X299, Spotted Alongside Core i7-7740K

#1
The Quim Reaper
So, a quad core CPU on an X99 platform.

Hmm, and the point of this chip is what exactly?
Posted on Reply
#2
TheGuruStud
The Quim Reaper said:
So, a quad core CPU on an X99 platform.

Hmm, and the point of this chip is what exactly?
"We have cheaper *HEDT CPUs, too!"

*not really a HEDT cpu
Posted on Reply
#3
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
The Quim Reaper said:
So, a quad core CPU on an X99 platform.

Hmm, and the point of this chip is what exactly?
If you only need 4 really fast cores, but want quad-channel memory and more PCIe lanes.
Posted on Reply
#4
RejZoR
Intel literally has no idea how to counter Ryzen lol. Instead of offering similar core count and similar prices, they go and release shitty quad core on an enthusiast platform. Newsflash Intel, you've already released that back with Nehalem which was 4 cores 8 threads CPU in times when most still had dual cores and regular non HT quad cores.

EDIT:
Quad channel is pointless. Yes, you can have it, but to be honest, you'll hit CPU processing restrictions way before you hit bandwidth limits. I only have it for the lolz, but there is no real need for it. If RAM speed was stagnating, it would make sense, but we're reaching 4GHz on RAM, so that's a no for now and for quite a while.
Posted on Reply
#5
Slizzo
The Quim Reaper said:
So, a quad core CPU on an X99 platform.

Hmm, and the point of this chip is what exactly?
TheGuruStud said:
"We have cheaper *HEDT CPUs, too!"

*not really a HEDT cpu
Yup, lower barrier to entry into the platform. The 6800K at ~$450 is the cheapest processor available for the platform. Sometimes deals get it lower than that but it's not all that often.
Posted on Reply
#6
TheGuruStud
btarunr said:
If you only need 4 really fast cores, but want quad-channel memory and more PCIe lanes.
But wouldn't someone like that being using VMs and other heavy work? It really is pretty pointless. There's not enough power to back up the platform.
Posted on Reply
#7
Slizzo
RejZoR said:
Intel literally has no idea how to counter Ryzen lol. Instead of offering similar core count and similar prices, they go and release shitty quad core on an enthusiast platform. Newsflash Intel, you've already released that back with Nehalem which was 4 cores 8 threads CPU in times when most still had dual cores and regular non HT quad cores.
This exact processor has been rumored for months now, since late last year. Not much time for Intel to reverse course on it, and why should they anyway?

Maybe this whole thing will see the stack prices get shifted down, who knows at this point?

EDIT: Also, Intel could keep pricing the same and just simply say that they still have an advantage when it comes to performance.
Posted on Reply
#8
Nokiron
RejZoR said:
Intel literally has no idea how to counter Ryzen lol. Instead of offering similar core count and similar prices, they go and release shitty quad core on an enthusiast platform. Newsflash Intel, you've already released that back with Nehalem which was 4 cores 8 threads CPU in times when most still had dual cores and regular non HT quad cores.

EDIT:
Quad channel is pointless. Yes, you can have it, but to be honest, you'll hit CPU processing restrictions way before you hit bandwidth limits. I only have it for the lolz, but there is no real need for it. If RAM speed was stagnating, it would make sense, but we're reaching 4GHz on RAM, so that's a no for now and for quite a while.
Well, Skylake and Kaby Lake benefits greatly with faster RAM. So this should bring some extra performance over 7700K. (Not that it's a good buy)

You know they can't change anything this early? They have a schedule and plan that can't be changed on a whim. Certainly not in an enormous company like Intel.

And they absolutely won't do anything until their market-share falls, which will take quite some time to even be noticable.

The Quim Reaper said:
So, a quad core CPU on an X99 platform.

Hmm, and the point of this chip is what exactly?
Well, not the first time though. Both 3820 and 4820K exist.
Posted on Reply
#9
KarymidoN
Problem Bout intel X99 Systems is always the Huge priced mobos...
Posted on Reply
#10
HopelesslyFaithful
btarunr said:
If you only need 4 really fast cores, but want quad-channel memory and more PCIe lanes.
except so far it is still dual channel and 16 lanes. unless something new came out
The platform builds on the strengths of the Intel HEDT (high-end desktop) market-segment, in offering double the memory bandwidth and PCIe lanes as the LGA1151 mainline desktop platform
huh?

is it quad channel and 32 lanes? Still havent seen this comfirmed
Posted on Reply
#11
Slizzo
KarymidoN said:
Problem Bout intel X99 Systems is always the Huge priced mobos...
People keep saying this, but many are not any more expensive than a Z270 or Z170 board. I bought my MSI X99A Raider for $159 in November.

Hell, this ASROCK board is only $159 now. https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-X99EXM3&c=CJ
Posted on Reply
#12
KarymidoN
Slizzo said:
People keep saying this, but many are not any more expensive than a Z270 or Z170 board. I bought my MSI X99A Raider for $159 in November.

Hell, this ASROCK board is only $159 now. https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-X99EXM3&c=CJ
Forgot to mention they Overpriced here in my country (Brazil), you can find some U$150 (USD) mobos for R$2K (BRL)... the USD/BRL ratio right now is 1/3,13... Brazilian Market sucks...
Posted on Reply
#13
RejZoR
I wanted ASUS and only I could get was either Sabertooth X99 or the ridiculously expensive Rampage Something Extreme.
Posted on Reply
#15
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
btarunr said:
If you only need 4 really fast cores, but want quad-channel memory and more PCIe lanes.
I thought according to the info we had, the 4-Core HEDT chips were still only going to have 16 PCI-E lanes. At least that is what the news from back in November said.

RejZoR said:
Intel literally has no idea how to counter Ryzen lol. Instead of offering similar core count and similar prices, they go and release shitty quad core on an enthusiast platform. Newsflash Intel, you've already released that back with Nehalem which was 4 cores 8 threads CPU in times when most still had dual cores and regular non HT quad cores.
This isn't really a counter, they've had these on the roadmap for a good half year already.
Posted on Reply
#16
Captain_Tom
btarunr said:
If you only need 4 really fast cores, but want quad-channel memory and more PCIe lanes.
Nope. The 7740K is forced to use dual channel memory, and it only has 16 lanes of PCIE. It really is kinda pointless.


If it had 28 lanes PCIE, and was clocked at 5.0 GHz out of the box it would make some sense to me. But it doesn't lol.
Posted on Reply
#17
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
Captain_Tom said:
Nope. The 7740K is forced to use dual channel memory, and it only has 16 lanes of PCIE. It really is kinda pointless.


If it had 28 lanes PCIE, and was clocked at 5.0 GHz out of the box it would make some sense to me. But it doesn't lol.
It make sense to me, it is basically an entry into the HEDT market. If I had the choice between the 7740K+X299 and the 7700K+Z270, I'd go with the 7740K, even if the 7740K setup was $40-50 more. I'd do it just to have an upgrade path.
Posted on Reply
#18
Gundem
"The platform is based on the new LGA2066 CPU socket"

Oh yay! Another Intel socket.
Posted on Reply
#19
Solaris17
Dainty Moderator
Gundem said:
Oh yay! Another Intel socket.
ugh not really? 2066 is what the 3rd socket change for HEDT? since the first being 1366 in like 2007/8?

HEDT moves alot slower than consumer desktops.
Posted on Reply
#20
Captain_Tom
newtekie1 said:
It make sense to me, it is basically an entry into the HEDT market. If I had the choice between the 7740K+X299 and the 7700K+Z270, I'd go with the 7740K, even if the 7740K setup was $40-50 more. I'd do it just to have an upgrade path.
How? It doesn't have any of the benefits of the HEDT market.

Upgrade path? LMAO! Intel changes sockets every 1-2 years. It would be better to just sell your current parts and pay the $100 to upgrade to the newest chipset and architecture.

Plus who in the world has $500 to spend on a gaming CPU + Mobo, but not $600? The 6-Core will be barely be any more money if you take into account the cost of the entire system.
Posted on Reply
#22
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
Captain_Tom said:
How? It doesn't have any of the benefits of the HEDT market.

Upgrade path? LMAO! Intel changes sockets every 1-2 years. It would be better to just sell your current parts and pay the $100 to upgrade to the newest chipset and architecture.

Plus who in the world has $500 to spend on a gaming CPU + Mobo, but not $600? The 6-Core will be barely be any more money if you take into account the cost of the entire system.
Have you looked at the prices of even the X99 processors on ebay lately? You can get great deals for under $250. Have you looked at X79 processors? The highest end X series processors can be had for super cheap. So you buy a X299 setup today instead of the Z270/7700K, pay a small bit more. And in a year or two when you want to upgrade, you pop in a $200 10-Core beast into the motherboard you already have and get a major upgrade instead of paying $400 for another slightly faster quad-core in the Z370 platform... That makes sense to me.
Posted on Reply
#23
Slizzo
newtekie1 said:
Have you looked at the prices of even the X99 processors on ebay lately? You can get great deals for under $250. Have you looked at X79 processors? The highest end X series processors can be had for super cheap. So you buy a X299 setup today instead of the Z270/7700K, pay a small bit more. And in a year or two when you want to upgrade, you pop in a $200 10-Core beast into the motherboard you already have and get a major upgrade instead of paying $400 for another slightly faster quad-core in the Z370 platform... That makes sense to me.
You get out of here with your logical scenarios!

This too, makes sense to me.
Posted on Reply
#24
Captain_Tom
newtekie1 said:
Have you looked at the prices of even the X99 processors on ebay lately? You can get great deals for under $250. Have you looked at X79 processors? The highest end X series processors can be had for super cheap. So you buy a X299 setup today instead of the Z270/7700K, pay a small bit more. And in a year or two when you want to upgrade, you pop in a $200 10-Core beast into the motherboard you already have and get a major upgrade instead of paying $400 for another slightly faster quad-core in the Z370 platform... That makes sense to me.
So you plan to save $100 now, to spend $400 later? (At best). This whole "Upgrade Path" myth continues to make me laugh.


-If you can spend $300. You can spend $400 (For the 6-Core).
-If you can't spend $1000 now. You think it makes sense to wait 2 years to upgrade to an outdated $1000 CPU? If you are going to throw down a grand, you are going to want the newest and greatest. Not to mention it would actually cost less to just go Z370 NOW, and then sell it all and go big in a couple years when you can actually afford it.
-Your ebay point is another excellent example of why these peasant "HEDT" CPU's are a joke. I had a friend get a x99 Mobo, and then a 10-core Broadwell-E Xeon on ebay for $240. He has overclocked it to 3.4 GHz and thus basically got a 6950X for $240. He has no need for your silly "Upgrade Path".


This won't save anyone money, this doesn't provide any features over the standard LGA 1151 chips, and actually it costs more due to the expensive motherboards. Expensive motherboards that will never see their quad-channel or 44-PCIE capabilities used (Which is why they cost more lol).
Posted on Reply
#25
wolar
If the quad core offers 40lanes then its a very good processor.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment