Monday, October 2nd 2017

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Could Feature 9 Gbps GDDR5 Memory

NVIDIA's upcoming GeForce GTX 1070 Ti performance-segment graphics card, which could be launched toward the end of this month, with market-availability following in early-November; could feature 9 Gbps GDDR5 memory, and not the previously-thought 8 Gbps GDDR5. This "almost-GTX 1080" answer of NVIDIA to AMD's RX Vega 56 features 2,432 CUDA cores, 152 TMUs, 64 ROPs, and a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface, holding 8 GB of memory. It will be available at a price-point competitive with AMD's RX Vega series, and could come in custom-designs by NVIDIA's add-in card partners.

The GTX 1070 Ti will be NVIDIA's second SKU to max-out the GDDR5 clock band. The company had, in late-2016, refreshed the mid-range GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB to feature 9 Gbps memory in an effort to compensate for its narrower 192-bit wide memory interface, improving its competitiveness against the Radeon RX 480 8 GB. The company had also, at the time, refreshed the GTX 1080 with faster 11 Gbps GDDR5X memory, which means the GTX 1080 cards with the SKU's original 10 Gbps GDDR5X memory clock could be phased out of the market. NVIDIA will ride into the crucial Holiday 2017 season with its existing GeForce "Pascal" family, bolstered by the new GTX 1070 Ti.

Sources: OC3D, ProClockers
Add your own comment

17 Comments on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Could Feature 9 Gbps GDDR5 Memory

#1
P4-630
The Way It's Meant to be Played
Well, if I want my 1070 samsung vram clocks at 9660MHz.
You should be able to OC this Ti vram to at least 10000MHz then.
Posted on Reply
#2
Hugh Mungus
P4-630 said:
Well, if I want my 1070 samsung vram clocks at 9660MHz.
You should be able to OC this Ti vram to at least 10000MHz then.
Does it really though, or should you even clock it that high? Apparently performance worsens after x mhz.

Also, 9gbps is exactly what I predicted. Why? Well, the original leak never stated what kind of gddr5 and 8gbps gddr5 in a 1070 ti even though 1060's get 9gbps nowadays seems a bit dumb.
Posted on Reply
#4
Imsochobo
Hugh Mungus said:
Does it really though, or should you even clock it that high? Apparently performance worsens after x mhz.

Also, 9gbps is exactly what I predicted. Why? Well, the original leak never stated what kind of gddr5 and 8gbps gddr5 in a 1070 ti even though 1060's get 9gbps nowadays seems a bit dumb.
usually memory is a no issue for that issue.

The 1070 is so high priced - at least in europe so it makes it obsolete vs a 1080, they will position it closer to the 1080 in performance while having the same price = better product stack = ok.

It's nothing to write home about but nothing wrong with it either, the 1070 was a bit out of place in today's market.
Posted on Reply
#6
ppn
The only part missing now is 1060 Ti. The answer to VEGA11. We have 50Ti and 70/80Ti.

9 gigabits per second per pin.
Posted on Reply
#7
StrayKAT
I just find it amusing that Nvidia wants to cover the "almost 1080" segment of the market. These people don't play around.
Posted on Reply
#8
Hugh Mungus
cryohellinc said:
9gb? While 1080 has 8gb?
9gb per second. Bandwidth.
Posted on Reply
#9
GorbazTheDragon
StrayKAT said:
I just find it amusing that Nvidia wants to cover the "almost 1080" segment of the market. These people don't play around.
I still think this card is going to be received as a "1080 mining edition card" due to not having the GDDR5X. If this is what NV is aiming at, it's quite a smooth move to segment the market because they could let the 1080 fluctuate independently of mining demand.
Posted on Reply
#10
StrayKAT
GorbazTheDragon said:
I still think this card is going to be received as a "1080 mining edition card" due to not having the GDDR5X. If this is what NV is aiming at, it's quite a smooth move to segment the market because they could let the 1080 fluctuate independently of mining demand.
Ah, you're probably right. I didn't think about that. I thought they were just trying to keep AMD from cornering any kind of segment. Or maybe this kills two birds with one stone.
Posted on Reply
#11
GorbazTheDragon
AMD can't corner anyone with their GPU lineup because they are constantly priced out of the market by mining. They can't respond to the demand in order to pull back the prices.

Then add to that the fact that they still havent released custom cooled cards, which really narrows their market as far as gamers...

The result: NV doesn't have to respond to AMD, they have to respond to market demand so they don't price themselves out like AMD did, which they already had done for them by putting GDDR5X in the 1080.
Posted on Reply
#12
Slizzo
cryohellinc said:
9gb? While 1080 has 8gb?
9Gbps, not 9GB.
Posted on Reply
#13
efikkan
btarunr said:
This "almost-GTX 1080" answer of NVIDIA to AMD's RX Vega 56…
GTX 1070 holds its own against Vega 56, especially considering the selection of AIB cards. AMD will be the one to answer this one. There is no need for this card in the market, but it will be a great value, nevertheless.

This card has to do with yields gradually improving and Nvidia having too many chips which are almost good enough for GTX 1080, and trying to get the most out of it before Volta next year.
Posted on Reply
#14
StrayKAT
GorbazTheDragon said:
I still think this card is going to be received as a "1080 mining edition card" due to not having the GDDR5X. If this is what NV is aiming at, it's quite a smooth move to segment the market because they could let the 1080 fluctuate independently of mining demand.
I can see that.

Although, so far the 1080 and Ti has been immune to price jumps (last I checked).
Posted on Reply
#15
GorbazTheDragon
StrayKAT said:
Although, so far the 1080 and Ti has been immune to price jumps (last I checked).
Not completely, but not to the point that they become uncompetitive.

1080 ACX3:

1080 Strix:

1080 Ti Gaming X:
Posted on Reply
#16
Vya Domus
P4-630 said:

You should be able to OC this Ti vram to at least 10000MHz then.
Unlikely to reach 10 Gbps guaranteed , these are probably the same modules used in the 1060 and the first batches of 1070s.
Posted on Reply
#17
Vayra86
If this is true, this card makes a lot more sense, balance is better. Still not a fan of it but ok
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment