Monday, November 6th 2017

TechPowerUp Releases GPU-Z v2.5.0

TechPowerUp today released the latest version of TechPowerUp GPU-Z, the graphics subsystem information, monitor, and diagnostic tool for PC enthusiasts and gamers. Version 2.5.0 introduces a slew of new features, support for new graphics cards, under the hood improvements, and bug fixes. To begin with, we've re-done the main tab to show graphics driver date and WHQL status in new fields. A refresh button is added, so you can manually refresh graphics card information, after a driver update for example. The BIOS string for NVIDIA BIOSes are now consistently cased, and driver version name titled "NVIDIA" instead of the retired "ForceWare" brand.

TechPowerUp GPU-Z v2.5.0 adds support for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, with its new WDDM 2.3 driver model, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, GTX 1050 Ti Mobile (GP106), Quadro GP100, and Quadro M620; from the AMD stable, support is added for Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid Edition, and FirePro M4150; from Intel, support for Intel UHD 600-series "Coffee Lake" graphics was added. Among the new sensors added are Vega SOC Clock, VR SOC and VR Mem. The internal NVFlash module used to extract video BIOS, has been updated. A crash associated with failed BIOS uploads to our database, has been fixed. Grab TechPowerUp GPU-Z v2.5.0 from the link below.

DOWNLOAD: TechPowerUp GPU-Z v2.5.0
The change-log follows.

  • Added driver date and WHQL status as separate items
  • Added refresh button
  • NVIDIA BIOS version is now always uppercased
  • Renamed "ForceWare" in driver version to "NVIDIA"
  • Updated NVIDIA NVFlash for BIOS saving
  • Added support for NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti, GTX 1050 Ti Mobile (GP106), NVIDIA Quadro GP100, Quadro M620
  • Added support for Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • Added support for AMD RX Vega 64 Liquid, FirePro M4150
  • Added Vega SOC Clock, VR SOC and VR Mem monitoring
  • Added support for WDDM 2.3
  • Fixed GPU-Z crash when trying to display error message for failed BIOS upload
Add your own comment

26 Comments on TechPowerUp Releases GPU-Z v2.5.0

#1
xkm1948
Still doesn't show BIOS version.



















Just kidding.
Posted on Reply
#2
MrGenius
btarunr said:
  • Added driver date and WHQL status as separate items
  • Added refresh button

Useless clutter. Driver date is now shown in 2 places for no good reason. Showing WHQL status separately just takes up extra space for no good reason. The refresh button serves no useful purpose whatsoever(see edit). How much useless crap really needs to be crammed under the main tab? Really pisses me off that anybody can suggest/request such nonsense and merely questioning why gets my posts deleted. Should I make a feature removal request thread? Or will that get deleted too? Bunch of BS...

EDIT: I decided to try the refresh button after a driver install/update just to see if that would even work. Guess what? It didn't. So I'll say it one more time. THERE'S NO REASON FOR A REFRESH BUTTON!

This is what it looks like when you do a clean install of the latest AMD driver with GPU-Z open and use the refresh button. MUCH info NOT REFRESHED anyway.


Just close it and open it. How fricken hard is that?
Posted on Reply
#3
fullinfusion
Vanguard Beta Tester
MrGenius said:
Useless clutter. Driver date is now shown in 2 places for no good reason. Showing WHQL status separately just takes up extra space for no good reason. The refresh button serves no useful purpose whatsoever(see edit). How much useless crap really needs to be crammed under the main tab? Really pisses me off that anybody can suggest/request such nonsense and merely questioning why gets my posts deleted. Should I make a feature removal request thread? Or will that get deleted too? Bunch of BS...

EDIT: I decided to try the refresh button after a driver install/update just to see if that would even work. Guess what? It didn't. So I'll say it one more time. THERE'S NO REASON FOR A REFRESH BUTTON!

This is what it looks like when you do a clean install of the latest AMD driver with GPU-Z open and use the refresh button. MUCH info NOT REFRESHED anyway.


Just close it and open it. How fricken hard is that?

Are you always such a miserable mean always complaining individual! You insult this that and everything else, gawd man and to even insult the man spending his time to create a useful program for free!!! Your lucky I'm not a mod because I'd find you a permanent place besides here for you to complain in. Try and smile once n a while like this :) :) :)

Now on topic, @W1zzard thanks for taking the time to update this version as I'm sure many of us are going to make use of the refresh button and the other options and info.
Posted on Reply
#4
JackOne
Great feature added, maybe needs some refinement, but the "refresh" button is basically what I always wanted after tampering with the drivers.
Posted on Reply
#5
MrGenius
fullinfusion said:
Are you always such a miserable mean always complaining individual! You insult this that and everything else, gawd man and to even insult the man spending his time to create a useful program for free!!! Your lucky I'm not a mod because I'd find you a permanent place besides here for you to complain in. Try and smile once n a while like this :) :) :)
I've got a solution for you. Go here, type in my user name and click save changes. Problem solved! :)
Posted on Reply
#6
fullinfusion
Vanguard Beta Tester
It's bugging out @W1zzard

Any real OC and starting Steam to run some 3dmark causes a lock up of the system.

rolled back to the earlier version and no issues
Posted on Reply
#7
W1zzard
fullinfusion said:
It's bugging out @W1zzard

Any real OC and starting Steam to run some 3dmark causes a lock up of the system.

rolled back to the earlier version and no issues
This is on Vega?
Posted on Reply
#8
Easo
Its probably too late, but do I understand correctly that the translation project was dropped?
Posted on Reply
#9
lexluthermiester
MrGenius said:
EDIT: I decided to try the refresh button after a driver install/update just to see if that would even work. Guess what? It didn't. So I'll say it one more time. THERE'S NO REASON FOR A REFRESH BUTTON!
First, the refresh button is for clock speeds as they are not updated real time. Second, if you don't like a feature, don't use it. No one is twisting your arm. Third, I've been known for being very direct and even blunt to a fault as well as an occasional jerk, but good grief man, you make me look like Mr. Rogers! Think that over for a moment before letting your pride react..

@W1zzard , I'm not not having any crash problems like the one mentioned above. But something the new version is doing, or not doing anymore, is remembering the position[screen location] of the program window from instance to instance. I like having all of my utilities running in the same spot on-screen every time they run. Could this be an app-side config or a Windows-side config problem?
Posted on Reply
#10
TheLostSwede
lexluthermiester said:

@W1zzard , I'm not not having any crash problems like the one mentioned above. But something the new version is doing, or not doing anymore, is remembering the position[screen location] of the program window from instance to instance. I like having all of my utilities running in the same spot on-screen every time they run. Could this be an app-side config or a Windows-side config problem?
I'm not seeing this, works as any other program for me.

On the other hand, I still can't extract the Nvidia GPU BIOS, but maybe that's not quite finished yet?

Posted on Reply
#11
lexluthermiester
TheLostSwede said:
I'm not seeing this, works as any other program for me.

On the other hand, I still can't extract the Nvidia GPU BIOS, but maybe that's not quite finished yet?


Just tested that, worked fine for me.

But what isn't working fine is what motivates the next question. My firewall keeps asking me about about multiple instances and variations of "Query_External_********.exe" being generated by GPU-Z in the windows "Temp" folder and keeps doing such every time it runs, while at the same time changing the number sequence each time. This is getting to be a bit irritating. GPU-Z didn't use to do this. Is it really needed? And is there a way to disable it or perhaps get it to stick with the same file name for each run instance?

Edit; It also does this while running if you click on Refresh.
Posted on Reply
#12
W1zzard
lexluthermiester said:
But what isn't working fine is what motivates the next question. My firewall keeps asking me about about multiple instances and variations of "Query_External_********.exe" being generated by GPU-Z in the windows "Temp" folder and keeps doing such every time it runs, while at the same time changing the number sequence each time. This is getting to be a bit irritating. GPU-Z didn't use to do this. Is it really needed? And is there a way to disable it or perhaps get it to stick with the same file name for each run instance?
Query_External was introduced with v2.0.0 and is needed to query certain adapter properties that are only available on 32/64- bit process.

What firewall is that? Did you change its settings?

TheLostSwede said:
On the other hand, I still can't extract the Nvidia GPU BIOS, but maybe that's not quite finished yet?
GTX 1080 ?
Posted on Reply
#13
lexluthermiester
W1zzard said:
Query_External was introduced with v2.0.0 and is needed to query certain adapter properties that are only available on 32/64- bit process.
What firewall is that? Did you change its settings?
Third party firewall, not the inbuilt Windows nonsense. Is it possible to release a version that keeps the file names static? It wouldn't be a problem at that point.
Posted on Reply
#14
W1zzard
lexluthermiester said:
Third party firewall, not the inbuilt Windows nonsense. Is it possible to release a version that keeps the file names static? It wouldn't be a problem at that point.
The issue is with running multiple GPU-Zs at the same time, potentially different versions
Posted on Reply
#15
lexluthermiester
W1zzard said:
The issue is with running multiple GPU-Zs at the same time, potentially different versions
Thinking you misunderstood. The issue is only with the "Query_External_********.exe" files being generated. Only one instance of GPU-Z.exe is running at any one time.
Posted on Reply
#16
AlienIsGOD
thnx for updating the lookup on reference sapphire RX 480s @W1zzard . I appreciate it alot and it was done rather quickly :D :lovetpu:
Posted on Reply
#17
fullinfusion
Vanguard Beta Tester
W1zzard said:
This is on Vega?
yes it's on Vega
Posted on Reply
#18
W1zzard
fullinfusion said:
yes it's on Vega
and only with OC ? If yes, test underclock
Posted on Reply
#19
fullinfusion
Vanguard Beta Tester
W1zzard said:
and only with OC ? If yes, test underclock
Just tested again after a clean driver install and same thing, Stock clocks, Steam 3DMark just freezes during the system info scan while keeping your polling software running

Edit, It also locks up in an under volt clock
Posted on Reply
#21
R-T-B
lexluthermiester said:
Thinking you misunderstood. The issue is only with the "Query_External_********.exe" files being generated. Only one instance of GPU-Z.exe is running at any one time.
His point is that we can't assume that only one will run, though.
Posted on Reply
#22
lexluthermiester
R-T-B said:
His point is that we can't assume that only one will run, though.
They don't. In this situation, GPU-Z is running in stand-alone[portable] mode. I do that by default. So with them not being installed, they are not invoking each other.

This really isn't a serious problem so much as it is a minor irritation. It's likely to be affecting others who run firewall/Program management software as well and in the process making GPU-Z, and by virtue of association TPU, look bad because it's setting off security apps. You and I know the difference between antivirus/antimalware warning of possible danger and a firewall alert indicating a new exe being run. But not everyone is that tech savvy and such alerts popping up every time GPU-Z runs would likely make more than a few people not want to trust GPU-Z even though it is trustworthy. See what I'm saying?
Posted on Reply
#23
W1zzard
lexluthermiester said:
See what I'm saying?
I get it, but I don't see a solution.

The files get extracted to the temp folder, which is the same folder for all portable GPUZs you might have. If using the same filename, these files will collide
Posted on Reply
#24
lexluthermiester
W1zzard said:
I get it, but I don't see a solution.
This is only a suggestion as a possibility, perhaps going back to the way GPU-Z polled hardware pre 2.00?
W1zzard said:
The files get extracted to the temp folder, which is the same folder for all portable GPUZs you might have. If using the same filename, these files will collide
Is that true for 1.20? That's the version I've been running before trying out 2.50.
Posted on Reply
#25
W1zzard
2.x introduced query_external as a way to get info that's not available for 32-bit binaries on 64-bit systems.

This approach also helps with external APIs (OpenCL, CUDA, PhysX, NVAPI, ADL) crashing, and GPU-Z gets the blame
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment