Sunday, July 30th 2017

NVIDIA Could Unveil GeForce GTX 1180 on August 20

NVIDIA put out invitations to an August 20 event in Cologne, Germany. Dubbed "GeForce Gaming Celebration." There are ominous signs that the company could unveil its next-generation GeForce GTX 1180 graphics card. The GTX 1180 succeeds the GTX 1080, and is based on the new "Turing" silicon. The event is being held exactly a day before Gamecom 2018 gets underway.

An August 20 unveiling also bolsters credibility of an older report, which had pinned market availability of the GTX 1180 on 30th August, exactly 10 days from the event. The same report also foretells September 30 availability of the cheaper GTX 1170, and the pricier GTX 1180+, and October 30 availability of the performance-segment GTX 1160.
Source: NVIDIA (Eventbrite)
Add your own comment

80 Comments on NVIDIA Could Unveil GeForce GTX 1180 on August 20

#1
GhostRyder
Good, I really want some new stuff. Hopefully its a nice step up!
Posted on Reply
#3
gmn 17
4k 60fps gaming here I come
Posted on Reply
#4
Totally
Well considering the FANG bloodbath, if there isn't a 1100 series announcement Nvidia will have added itself to the list of casualties. Investors are tired of safe, and are out of patience.
Posted on Reply
#5
dj-electric
My body is ready.

It has been a very long 2+ years. Crossing my fingers for another hyper-drive leap in Perf\watt in this industry. Also, hoping for one in consumer machine learning apps.
Posted on Reply
#6
TheOne
Here is hoping they don't jump the prices up again.
Posted on Reply
#7
M2B
I just want it to outperform the Titan Xp in every single game, otherwise I will be disappointed.
Posted on Reply
#8
las
gmn 17 said:
4k 60fps gaming here I come
Doubt it will happen before 1180 Ti launches.

In the most demanding games today, 1080 Ti will drop below 30 fps at times when running 2160p. HDR even lower.
There's no way that 1180 is going to be 100% better than 1080 Ti.
If you don't care about running "ultra preset" - 4K/UHD @ 60 fps has been possible for a long time.

Goal is more like 4K/UHD at 120 fps now tho. No way I'm going back to 60 Hz/fps gaming on PC.
I'd choose 1440p @ 144-165 Hz over 2160p @ 60 Hz any day of the week, for PC gaming. Need at least 120 Hz, pref 144+
Posted on Reply
#9
silapakorn
Miners be like: Look at all these gamers thinking there will be cards left for them to buy. :roll:
Posted on Reply
#10
Vya Domus
Enterprise24 said:
Time to hunt for $300 1080 Ti.
Good luck with that , this will likely have a gargantuan launch price , in addition to that it probably won't outperform a 1080ti by much. So , it's unlikely people will start throwing their 1080ti aways for peanuts.
Posted on Reply
#11
piloponth
gmn 17 said:
4k 60fps gaming here I come
Naah, what we really need is 4k 144fps gaming.
Posted on Reply
#12
niemand
Enterprise24 said:
Time to hunt for $300 1080 Ti.
Enjoying your 1180 for 600USD is more likely.
Posted on Reply
#13
cucker tarlson
Bet it's expensive,but it's nvidia,I'll gladly pay premium. If 1180 can beat Titan Xp, deliver that performance under 200W and still have room for cool and quiet air OC then I really don't mind the price.
dj-electric said:
My body is ready.

It has been a very long 2+ years. Crossing my fingers for another hyper-drive leap in Perf\watt in this industry. Also, hoping for one in consumer machine learning apps.
We're in the same boat, that 1080 SJS was hands down the best card I ever owned in every respect.
Posted on Reply
#14
Manu_PT
gmn 17 said:
4k 60fps gaming here I come
Playing PC at 60hz makes 0 sense to me. For 60hz I play console (sports games, fighting games mainly). When I use a PC for games I must play at 120hz at least, otherwise is pointless.
Posted on Reply
#15
techy1
silapakorn said:
Miners be like: Look at all these gamers thinking there will be cards left for them to buy. :roll:
Miners be like: 50x gtx 1080 ti's for 400$ a piece (or for whatever price I can sell these in oversaturated second hand market), never used for mining, but you can buy a cage separately.
Posted on Reply
#16
ppn
Mindblowing how people will buy this ancient 12nm product just moments or months before 7nm, since they waited too long, and now have to get it no matter what. I'm not buying anything on 12nm(real 16), maybe on 7nm (real 10) if the price is right, meaning 400 sq.mm chip below 600$.
Posted on Reply
#17
cucker tarlson
ppn said:
Mindblowing how people will buy this ancient 12nm product just moments or months before 7nm, since they waited too long, and now have to get it. I'm not buyying anything on 12m(real 16), maybe on 7nm (real 10) if the price is right, meaning 400 sq.mm chip below 600$.
Mindblowing that people will bitch about nvidia cards then wait a year to buy the same performance for the same price from AMD, only with higher power draw.
You think AMD is letting gamers even smell 7nm in enthusiast segment anytime soon you're crazy. They treat enthusiast gamers like morons.
Posted on Reply
#18
Dammeron
techy1 said:
Miners be like: 50x gtx 1080 ti's for 400$ a piece (or for whatever price I can sell these in oversaturated second hand market), never used for mining, but you can buy a cage separately.
Miners be like: F*ck the GPUs, if I can has specialized ASICs.
Posted on Reply
#19
kings
High-End gamer cards on 7nm, probably only in 2020 or late 2019 at best.
My 980Ti is over 3 years old, I'm still happy with it, but depending on the price and performance of the new ones, I can think on buying one... we will see!
Posted on Reply
#20
ppn
I want this coming from Nvidi CEO himself and will hold price, that is almost certain but still. I want reassurance you know. Late 2019. more like late 2018. And it is not real 7nm, half thruths, according to AMD It only brings 2x density, and according to TSMC that is non other than 10nm.. Yeah, real 7nm is coming late 2019/20 and brings 3x density.
Posted on Reply
#21
Komshija
Vya Domus said:
Good luck with that , this will likely have a gargantuan launch price , in addition to that it probably won't outperform a 1080ti by much. So , it's unlikely people will start throwing their 1080ti aways for peanuts.
You assume that all people have common sense and are able to think rationally. Well, most people don't have these traits.:) I have seen a lot of people who waste money (usually their parents' money) literally on 2-3% extra performance "upgrade". For someone who is gaming on 1080p or 1440p monitor, even the GTX 980 Ti is more than sufficient.

Manu_PT said:
Playing PC at 60hz makes 0 sense to me. For 60hz I play console (sports games, fighting games mainly). When I use a PC for games I must play at 120hz at least, otherwise is pointless.
ROLF :roll:
Posted on Reply
#22
efikkan
Vya Domus said:
Good luck with that , this will likely have a gargantuan launch price…
"Everyone" said GTX 1080 Ti would as well…
Posted on Reply
#23
Caring1
efikkan said:
"Everyone" said GTX 1080 Ti would as well…
And it did in my country. Even now the price is a joke.
Posted on Reply
#24
cucker tarlson
Komshija said:
For someone who is gaming on 1080p or 1440p monitor, even the GTX 980 Ti is more than sufficient.
No it isn't.
Posted on Reply
#25
phill
Question I have would be try to pick up a 1080/1080 Ti a bit cheaper than they are now, or buy a couple new cards altogether??

I'd like to start collecting some GPUs, figure might be a good time to start with new cards coming out....
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment