Thursday, April 26th 2007

NVIDIA 8800 GTX beats AMD ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX

After impressive benchmark results for the Radeon HD 2900 XT, the Radeon HD X2900 XTX (AMD’s flagship DirectX 10 card) has failed to impress in the same way. When compared to NVIDIA’s 8800 GTX, the 2900 XTX is lagging behind in frames per second when it comes to games such as Company of Heroes, F.E.A.R., Half Life 2: Episode 1 and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. You can see the results for yourself (as well as pictures of the card) by clicking the images below – all tests were run on an ASUS P5N32-E SLI motherboard with a Core 2 Extreme QX6800 processor and 800MHz Corsair XMS2 RAM. The HD 2900 XTX is based on the same GPU as the HD 2900 XT, but uses GDDR4 memory running at 1010MHz instead of GDDR3 memory running at 800MHz. There aren’t any comparisons between the cards when they are overclocked, nor is there any data on DirectX 10 performance, but at present it looks like NVIDIA could be a step ahead of AMD. The card used by DailyTech was a sample released to board members in the second week of April, and the benchmarks were made with the drivers AMD plans to provide when the new cards hit retail.

Source: DailyTech

79 Comments on NVIDIA 8800 GTX beats AMD ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX

ktr
mandelore said:
HANG ON:

just checked the benchy website and the 8800 card is overclocked, the 2900xtx is not.. thats not fair

(fair enuff it may be vendor oc'd, but you know, apples for apples etc) using a not stock manufacturer card for the bench is lame imo
GJSNeptune
bigboi86 said:
You are the one who doesn't know what a bottleneck is :P

A bottleneck is when something holds back or gets in the way of another component.

Kind of how a bottleneck gets in the way and slows liquid down as it comes out, and only lets a certain amount of liquid through at a single point.

"My slow ram is bottlenecking my whole system."
V

ktr said:

a111087
we need to make a rule that each member of tpu can reply to each news only once... seriously :)
Jimmy 2004
SpookyWillow said:
lol i'm suprised no-one else noticed that theres a big variation in fps from that screenie and the one they did the other day http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7043

the other day the 2900xt got 47.9 fps but today it gets a whopping 101.4 fps
Probably different settings coupled with a better CPU and possibly better RAM.
mandelore
GJSNeptune said:
Curse you! I was rather enjoying that few seconds of thinking AMD was going to bounce back.
yeah, but what when we oc the 2900xtx like a whore? maybe even some nutter with a voltmod? i think its gonna rip some serious fatality wounds in the 8800
(bleedin well hopes so, " does the ATI triumph dance " )
GJSNeptune
Aye, I hope. I'm not partial to either, but I appreciate competition, and AMD could really use a holy grail right now.
Kreij
Senior Monkey Moderator
GJSNeptune said:
They are. Just perhaps not in this round of the fight ;)
mandelore
unless the cards being given out atm were crippled intentionally, a possibility, it was quoted on the review site that its been done b4 by ati
Steevo
Again, I recall the drivers being the difference in me ripping up a friends 7800GTX SLI setup or not in 3D05.

Plus the higher image quality.
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
What is weird is that the 2900 xt wins a benchmark or two from the 2900xtx. Could ATI have released an engineering sample that was made before the discovery of the ddr4 problems or was their a slip in the production of this card and it used the old memory chips before the fix? Its all interesting. The way it gets handled though in DX9 games is unreal and unbelievable. I find it hard to see it lose by so much, when it has a hell of alot more going for it than the 8800 gtx.(God does exist you atheist idiots (j/k about the atheist idiots part) Im not sure if ATI uses what nvidia has dubbed "Stream processors" though. Perhaps that third clock is whats making it better for nvidia. Im sure ATI should dominate in DX10 games. Perhaps this card was made for THAT specific deal. However, with all the games currently at DX9 (and so very very very very very very few Dx10 games coming) it wouldnt make sense to shorten performance for dx 9 to win dx10. I dont know what to believe honestly. Im hoping for a bad card. But if it holds true. the delay should get ATI bombed.
Xtant25
Just wondering if anyone actually read the article at dailytech if not at least read the bottom half of it interesting stuff.
magibeg
Am i the only one that finds these benchmarks a little fishy? The 8800GTX completely murders the 2900xtx... actually funny enough even the 2900xt beats the 2900xtx on some of the benchmarks. I'm going to have to see some more benchmarks before i believe this. (everyone seems to get their information from the same source) The board has to have something seriously wrong with it.
LiNKiN
Well regardless of what those benchmarks indicate, the REAL benefactor will be DirectX 10 performance. I mean isnt that the whole reason we want the 8800/2900 series anyways? Soon all DirectX 9 benchmarks wont mean a thing, unless your still running XP.
Tatty_One
Senior Moderator
Well...... for all those fanboi's (and I won't mention what side of the fence they are from) who were prepared to assume from what they had read to date that the R600 was going to "blow away" the 8800 series, why is it that they seem now not to want to beleive anything until they have a card in "their hands" (is it because it is negative now?) when they were prepared to beleive anything that was positive about the card before WITHOUT the card being in their hands?

Sorry just a little rant there, don't mind fanboi's.....we can all be them from time to time, I just like to see a bit of consistency.

Are we not missing something here?.........these test are DX9, whether they are accurate or not, the true measure of the card when put up against NVidia's offerings are surely going to be their performance in DX10 games which may well be a very different story, you know, different processes, different rendering methods etc, etc, damn if we were buying those cards on test to play DX9 games we would be wasting our money, buy a 1950XTX or 7900GTX or GX2 which will handle DX9 at most resolutions with ease.

Edit: Just seen Linkin's post.....great minds think alike!
GJSNeptune
We're always starving for new information on the latest technology. Obviously this benchmark session was just a reststop. We still have driver revisions and DX10 to come out. The 8800 series, minus the Ultra, has been out for quite awhile. It's already established. The 2900, on the other hand, is upcoming, so it has a lot more promise/potential. Can't wait. C'mon, AMD! Don't be dyin' on us.
erocker
SK-1 said:
Totally classic post!!!Although I only needed 9.5 of my IQ points to deduct this!!
In reality,...If ATI FAILS on this R600,...I can see ATI/AMD saying by by to the graphics card market and concentrating on integrated graphics from now on.:mad:

This would be a major bummer IMHO.No more competition for Nvidia.:ohwell:

People,..remember ALL the bogus numbers for the 8800 at the 30 to 60 day countdown to launch?
I am now praying to the graphics gods that the R600 can at least stand next to the 8800 and look respectable.
S3 has some DX10 cards coming out!!!:D
erocker
a111087 said:
BURN 8800!!! BURN IT !!! :rockout:
LMFAO!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :toast:
ktr
erocker said:
S3 has some DX10 cards coming out!!!:D
lol, there were like the first to show there dx10 card...:toast:
erocker

And here it is! Posted long ago on TPU! Can't wait to see some benchies!!!:roll: :roll:
D007
we'll see where they stand in the final quarter... after release and driver updates.. the 8800 series wouldn't even run on alot of computers at first lol.. it's expected that the first numbers will be crap from my perspective.. nvidia has had alot of time to fix their drivers and we have gained signifigant frame rates due to that alone and the bios updates for some of us as well that were conflicting with those original drivers. in about 4 monts i'll have my final opinion but as of now I'm just hapy I got the 8800 gts lol.. safe, secure and rock solid at a great price.. I'm happy.. I really hope amd picks it up though. Like I've said before it's never good to have any one company cornering the market.. if nvidia was alone they'd of made the 8800 gtx cost more like 700 than 500.. i wouldnt doubt it one bit..
mandelore
D007 said:
Plus wed have less drive to develop better cards imo. Sure theyd update them, but without the head on competition the drive just wouldnt be as strong
petepete
who believes these benchmarks.. what a joke. This card is supposed to compete directly against the 8800 series and you would think the card gets about 5 fps greater/less at least.. This is a complete joke. From a marketing standpoint do you think AMD/ATI would release this to test if it performed this terrible against the 8800? I didn't think so either
Conti027
lol these ati vs nvidia forum really bring out the fan (fanboy) in us all. lol i personally like nivdia even tho i dont like the color green