Wednesday, March 12th 2008

GeForce 9800 GX2 Goes on Sale

NVIDIA’s upcoming GeForce 9800 GX2 graphics card is now available to pre-order from shopblt.com, for a price of $598.41. Although the release date is still unconfirmed, the site has an estimated time of arrival as 03-22-2008, which could well be the official launch day. The actual card being listed is from PNY Technologies, although no extra details are given.
Add your own comment

85 Comments on GeForce 9800 GX2 Goes on Sale

#1
ShadowFold
TooFast said:
3870 X2 + A 3870 For Just About The Same Price
And when CrossfireX improves imagine what that will be like :toast:
Posted on Reply
#2
Saakki
lulz i made a topic about this on nvidia section..but hey isnt that a salty price! :D i would rather buy 2 x 3870x2 and save hell of a piece o money :)
Posted on Reply
#3
candle_86
farlex85 said:
Yeah I think so your right, and when I said the price sounds about right if it performs well, I didn't mean fair. 2 GTS 512 will run you a little over $500, so the gx2 should be around that price right. No, nvidia is counting on this card being the top dog, and as such will charge whatever they want for it.

Thing is, I'm wondering if the drives do work correctly, wouldn't those be roughly the same drivers needed to run 2 gts 512 in SLI. Because if those two options perform equally, it would be the one time that sli is actually more practical than a better single......:laugh:
well factor a few things into that, one is non Sli boards are cheaper, also what about users of 570Ultra, or 965/P35 ect that do not support SLI.

They look at another 150-200 to do the SLi route, and add 150 for a cheap quality SLI board to 500 and you get 650, thats why Nvidia can charge it because those without SLI boards equals the vast majority
Posted on Reply
#4
candle_86
btarunr said:
:roll: Yes looks like it.

Even if it's faster than the HD3870 X2, it would still make a bad buy for its price considering you're getting them (HD3870 X2) for as low as $429.99 +sh these days.



Won't work in tri-SLI though.
that or ATI has seen what the release drivers can do and is scared shitless :P
Posted on Reply
#5
candle_86
The expected price: around $449 US. Expected announcement date: February 14, 2008.

from tomshardware, id trust this myself, at least he has seen the product already and the papers ect for it
Posted on Reply
#6
Mussels
Moderprator
i want one of these dual cards to be honest, i am not interested in SLI or crossfire in dual slots because of two reasons:

Most boards dont have full 16x slots for whatever reason (16/4 8/8 etc)

i follow the best - i dont give a hoot who makes the board or what chipset, as long as it OC's my hardware. i prefer Nvidia atm, but i cant SLI on an intel board can i.
Posted on Reply
#7
candle_86
and that reason there mussels that you just stated is why Nvidia could charge what they want, the majority of Intel board do not allow SLI unless where talking about the new thingy they made
Posted on Reply
#8
asb2106
candle_86 said:
and that reason there mussels that you just stated is why Nvidia could charge what they want, the majority of Intel board do not allow SLI unless where talking about the new thingy they made
its actually been proven that SLI can work on a Intel board, its just that nvidia will not release drivers that work. The only reason that the dx5400 or skulltrail can run SLI is because they put an Nforce 200 chip on the board, giving it SLI and X-fire capabilities
Posted on Reply
#9
[I.R.A]_FBi
Mussels said:
i want one of these dual cards to be honest, i am not interested in SLI or crossfire in dual slots because of two reasons:

Most boards dont have full 16x slots for whatever reason (16/4 8/8 etc)

i follow the best - i dont give a hoot who makes the board or what chipset, as long as it OC's my hardware. i prefer Nvidia atm, but i cant SLI on an intel board can i.
now it all makes sense, and only these intel users have the power to drive these video cards.
Posted on Reply
#10
Mussels
Moderprator
asb2106 said:
its actually been proven that SLI can work on a Intel board, its just that nvidia will not release drivers that work. The only reason that the dx5400 or skulltrail can run SLI is because they put an Nforce 200 chip on the board, giving it SLI and X-fire capabilities
its a hidden bios setting (no, it cant be made 'viewable' its more complex than that) that can be enabled on any board, but all the people that know or figured it out got silenced rather quickly.

Its simple - Nv wants licensing fees for any chipset that can use SLI, and for max profits they want to own the chipsets too.
Posted on Reply
#11
asb2106
Mussels said:
its a hidden bios setting that can be enabled on any board, but all the people that know or figured it out got silenced rather quickly.

Its simple - Nv wants licensing fees for any chipset that can use SLI, and for max profits they want to own the chipsets too.
you can unlock your mobo, and its not that hard, but you need special drivers to run it, I remember when I had my 7800gtx SLI I put them in my 965 with the hacked drivers and it worked great. Any attempt with the legit drivers from Nvidia and it performed as if only one card was in there. I actually got those drivers from a maximum PC forum along while back!
Posted on Reply
#12
Mussels
Moderprator
asb2106 said:
you can unlock your mobo, and its not that hard, but you need special drivers to run it, I remember when I had my 7800gtx SLI I put them in my 965 with the hacked drivers and it worked great. Any attempt with the legit drivers from Nvidia and it performed as if only one card was in there. I actually got those drivers from a maximum PC forum along while back!
Nv made it so the drivers need to see the bios bit before SLI works. You can use hacked drivers (not possible anymore) or you can modify the bios (no one knows how) or you can buy skulltrail.
Posted on Reply
#13
candle_86
true, but its not offical and as such its not really there, there are hacks to make crossfire work on SLI and vice versa, but its not how it meant to be done
Posted on Reply
#14
asb2106
candle_86 said:
true, but its not offical and as such its not really there, there are hacks to make crossfire work on SLI and vice versa, but its not how it meant to be done
the only thing stopping it from working is ATI and Nvidia,

honestly think about it, if you could run SLI on a Intel board, would anyone still buy Nvidia chipsets on their mobos??? For stability and OCing Intel boards far surpass anything that Nvidia can do. I honestly think that if Nvidia opened support for SLI on a intel chipset, Nvidia wouldnt be making chipsets anymore
Posted on Reply
#15
Mussels
Moderprator
candle_86 said:
true, but its not offical and as such its not really there, there are hacks to make crossfire work on SLI and vice versa, but its not how it meant to be done
find me a working hack then. i've got two 8800GT's and a P35 board, if you say it can be done find me some drivers that work.
Posted on Reply
#16
asb2106
Mussels said:
find me a working hack then. i've got two 8800GT's and a P35 board, if you say it can be done find me some drivers that work.
i havent seen any for the last few years, but I will look for you.

EDIT: after lookin around for awhile, it seems the only hacked drivers were released for the 965/975 chipsets only. People pretty much gave up after that.
Posted on Reply
#17
candle_86
thats is point, there is a reason the 965 can do it, Nvidia was gonna license it to them, but Intel backed out, but the chipset was made, intel just couldnt market it.

Also id by an Nvidia board over any other chipset, just because I love anything Nvidia, heck i bought an Nvidia coffee cup for 40 bucks because it said Nvidia, but im sure im the minority, but if anyone else is wearing a custom Nvidia t-shirt let me know, cause mine is black with the Nvidia logo on the back and the way its meant to be played on the front :D
Posted on Reply
#18
Mussels
Moderprator
asb2106 said:
i havent seen any for the last few years, but I will look for you.

EDIT: after lookin around for awhile, it seems the only hacked drivers were released for the 965/975 chipsets only. People pretty much gave up after that.
that was the point i was trying to make, thanks. after that Nv encrypted the drivers (which made it a lot harder for modders/tweakers as well) and required the mobo bit, so that it needs an Nv chipset to work.
Posted on Reply
#19
das müffin mann
for that price i would hope that the 9800x2 would beat the 3870x2 by at least 25%, but atm and with the x2's current scores n such, im not sure if nvidia can acheive that, i really want to see this card perform with some better drivers, but about $600 for a card that atm is trailing the 3870x2, and two 8800's in sli will beat this card, i beleive someone mentioned the titanic...
Posted on Reply
#20
das müffin mann
candle_86 said:
thats is point, there is a reason the 965 can do it, Nvidia was gonna license it to them, but Intel backed out, but the chipset was made, intel just couldnt market it.

Also id by an Nvidia board over any other chipset, just because I love anything Nvidia, heck i bought an Nvidia coffee cup for 40 bucks because it said Nvidia, but im sure im the minority, but if anyone else is wearing a custom Nvidia t-shirt let me know, cause mine is black with the Nvidia logo on the back and the way its meant to be played on the front :D
that better be one awesome cup :D got a pic?
Posted on Reply
#21
asb2106
das müffin mann said:
for that price i would hope that the 9800x2 would beat the 3870x2 by at least 25%, but atm and with the x2's current scores n such, im not sure if nvidia can acheive that, i really want to see this card perform with some better drivers, but about $600 for a card that atm is trailing the 3870x2, and two 8800's in sli will beat this card, i beleive someone mentioned the titanic...
haha, Im hoping the GX2 does great, I really am. But at the 600 price mark, it is gonna have to be atleast 25% more performance(like you said!!:D)
Posted on Reply
#23
Mussels
Moderprator
das müffin mann said:
that better be one awesome cup :D got a pic?
i have OCZ coffee cups and T-shirts....
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment