• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SPDTool: Read, Edit and Flash your Memory's SPD

timohour

Rename the file to spd.
This is a dump based on the Adata you uploaded.
After flashing your ram it should run maximum @1066 (533) CL6.
If you have any problem with this dump don't hesitate to ask.

enjoy

Q: Is the Corsair Vengeance 1600 you own a flashable module? I am asking because I plan to buy one for myself.

Attachments

• a-data 1066 cl6.txt
    256 bytes · Views: 1,825
Last edited:

peterspencer

Rename the file to spd.
This is a dump based on the Adata you uploaded.
After flashing your ram it should run maximum @1066 (533) CL6.
If you have any problem with this dump don't hesitate to ask.

enjoy

Q: Is the Corsair Vengeance 1600 you own a flashable module? I am asking because I plan to buy one for myself.

Hmmm...well...after flashed (still didn't reboot) CPU-Z read 6-6-6-20-26@533!
The corsair Vengeance is flashable! I bought 2x4GB @40€ (I'm from Italy) and one of them is useless...I thought the Adata had the same 1066 cas latency so I bought the additional stick wich i'm about to test. Anyway don't make you betray (just like i thought) by the cool-looking sticker in the pictures...it seems to be a heatspreader but it isn't.
(I've attached a CPU-Z screen for my Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 SODIMM)
I'm crossing my fingers and rebooting...

Attachments

• Corsair Vengeance 1600 SODIMM.JPG
    Corsair Vengeance 1600 SODIMM.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 4,636

peterspencer

It Worked! :respect: for timohour!
Maybe that tRAS=20 could be tightened to 16 (according the vengeance timings)...

Peolpe, we really need a guide for this powerful tool...or maybe there's one somewhere...but where?

Attachments

• DDR3 1066CL6.JPG
    DDR3 1066CL6.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,359
Corsairs are flashable. But stupid Corsair engineers didn't add support for CL7 and CL8 in their sticks and therefore people will have big advantage if they have only 1-st gen I-3 and 1-stgen I-5 (1066Mhz) but not I-7 (1333Mhz).
Therefore you need to reflash it with proper image.
I can send taiphoon burner's profile for that Corsair 1866Mhz which should have Cl7 and Cl8 timings added and also added XMP profiles for 1866Mhz and 2133Mhz.
Perhaps you can try to flash 1600 sticks by this profile too.
Will add thumbnails soon

EDIT
To Mods: Can i post a link on where people can read much more about editing Corsair's profiles?
Also using SPDTool if I want to flash 1 stick should I do it with only 1 stick in a laptop or with second inside? Second module is different.

Attachments

• Taiphoon + Crucial Profile.zip
    763.6 KB · Views: 1,600
  • Corsair 1866 modded CMSX8GX3M2A1866C10.txt
    903 bytes · Views: 1,061
  • Screenhot of Crucial timings.png
    Screenhot of Crucial timings.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 3,298
Last edited:

timohour

6-6-6-16. Rename and enjoy. Thanks for the info on the Corsair module.

@jamesD

Do you know if this Corsair 1866 have Jedec compliant 1866 and 1600 and therefore will play out of the box for SB modules?
If possible pls provide the original dump too.

Attachments

• A-Data - Sodimm - DDR3L - 1600G - Cas6-6-6-16.txt
    256 bytes · Views: 728

peterspencer

@timohour: it worked like a charm! I owe you a beer! :toast:
P.S.: using the useful tip of James D I've been able to get a dump for tRAS=16 by myself!

@James D: YOU've been my guide to RAM flashing! Thank you! :respect:

@peterspenсer just don't forget about checksums.

Original dump is here. It has 1866Mhz JEDEC of course.

Anyway if anyone wants to read more about Corsair's possibilities or look couple How-To videos you can visit this thread and read first post.

Attachments

• original.png
    original.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 2,165
  • Corsair + CMSX8GX3M2A1866C10.zip
    423 bytes · Views: 689
Last edited:

peterspencer

@James D: Hmmm...that means I should correct the checksum prior to flash any module (when requested)???
I Never did it because i thought it, in some way, it could modify parameters out of my control.
My doubt came first when i reflashed a stick with its original dump...but SPDTOOL told me "...invalid checksum...continue?"
But what does checksum repair do anyway?

2 minutes ago first time I flashed RAM. And after modding some settings (tRC) I fixed checksum using SPDTool. If you open anything via Taiphoon Burner you will see red digits and symbols. They are checksum of SPD data. every time you change smth there checksum must be different.

System Name Amazing Experience
Processor Intel Core i5 7500
Motherboard MSI H110M Pro-VD
Cooling Deepcool Alta 7 (CPU) | 2x 120mm RGB Case Fans (Rear and Front)
Memory Hynix 16GB (2x8) 2400Mhz (13-13-13-28)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Storage Crucial BX500 120GB; Seagate Barracuda 1TB+2TB; Dell 1TB Ext. HDD
Display(s) HP 22es
Case Ant Esports ICE-211TG
Audio Device(s) F&D A110 2.1 Stereo Speakers
Power Supply Circle 500 Watts APFC
Mouse Redragon M609
Keyboard TVS Gold Mechanical Keyboard (MX Blue, PS/2)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
please add support for intel h61 chipset.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
SPDtool is no longer supported,in fact it hasnt been supported for a number of years. There is an alternative though

http://www.softnology.biz/

j_saade25

Suggestion

Hello W1zzard,

I have a suggestion... Can you provide a version of SPDTool which allows you to insert the SMBus address to be scanned (if not automatically detected)? The SMBus address can be known using other programs, which makes it an expert feature.

Thank you.

big_buka

Hi! I have some problem.... i flashed spd on my memory and now my pc won't start at all...
takeMS 1GB DDR-2 800 MHz TMS1GB264C081-804EP x3 (I flashed all....)
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo

Sorry for my bad english...

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
Hi! I have some problem.... i flashed spd on my memory and now my pc won't start at all...
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo

The chips are dead. you cannot do anything without spending money, do you not read the instuctions???

Buy new RAM. Manually set timings and voltages remove new ram place old dead ram in, and Hey presto it SHOULD work, unless you have really done something crazy.

j_saade25

Asus P5Q Pro Turbo

Good day,

Do the following:

- Remove all RAMs and borrow a working one.
- Install it and go to the BIOS, choose the highest latencies and lowest clocks possible.
- Save and quit BIOS.
- Turn off PC, put back your broken RAMs.
- Startup, go to SPDTool and fix what you messed up with. (I hope you have a backup of your previous SPD. If you don't have a backup, go to some online forum and get working general-purpose SPDs)

Hope this helps.

solnyshok

2 different sodimms cause graphics corruption

Hi, I have 2 ddr2 sodimms

4gb 333Mhz
2gb 400Mhz
Laptop hp2530p, Win8x64

which work well separately, but, when used together, cause graphics corruption. It usually starts when playing some flash video, like youtube in chrome. Graphics get inverted, corrupted, shifted, etc. but system stays stable. Usually, it is enough to minimize/maximize window to restore view. Until it again gets corrupted over time.

I attach zip with spds of both modules and a picture of spd comparison side by side (left 4GB, right 2GB)

Please help me with advise on what can be done to fix compatibility issue (if at all possible). On the first sight, I see very big difference in tRFC. Could it be edited? What are better values there?

I hope that all experiments could be done on a smaller (2GB) module, because I can survive loosing it (basically I will remove it anyway if this graphics issue isn't fixed). I really would not like to edit spd of 4GB module. It is a rare stuff on the market, much more difficult to replace.

Attachments

• ram comparison.jpg
    ram comparison.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2,151
  • spds.zip
    511 bytes · Views: 757
Please help me with advise on what can be done to fix compatibility issue (if at all possible).

Challenge accepted:D

Don't touch anything there.
I would edit 4GB module because it is slower one. In case of bad flash you can (at least other did) to hot plug RAM module when being in BIOS and then do not save and reboot. Or just hot plug in 2 seconds after POST And then flash it back.
What is your chipset????? and other specs like CPU.

Last edited:

solnyshok

hi, if it is possible to hotplug and revive, we can try editing 4gb module, though I would have thought that it should be easier to achieve stable setup by putting in more relaxed timings into faster chip, not the other way around.

I am on intel chipset 4 series, laptop. dualbooting w8/w7 x64 intel core2 duo. btw I tried writing trfc into 2gb module - edit, fix checksum,write... I get verification error, I think write fails. This is either write protected module, or Smbus driver issue on my system. when I first start spdtool it fails to find memory modules and complains about smbus dtiver. I then started cpuz and quit it. then spdtools works (at least, reads spd from modules)

solnyshok

ok, at least some good news, I performed write on 4GB module altering one parameter for 200Mhz mode. Just a try to see that writing works. It shows that
1) (good news) spdtool writing works on my chipset and w8x64
2) (bad news) fast 400MHz 2GB module is write protected.
3) (good news) 333MHz 4GB module is writeable

RAM which is coming with laptop/PC usually is protected.

Here is text so you could type it. It would take some time for me to create spd profile so better if you work for yourself too:)

Did you read somewhere about CPU-z? Are you russian?

Try to fix checksum, if it will not be changed then 100% checksum is oK. If it changes smth... I would stick to the one is in txt but don't guarantee anything.

Anyway I still don't guarantee anything:)

You should flash repeatedly until verification passes.

Attachments

• Elpida 4GB EBE41UF8ABDA-6E-E.txt
    903 bytes · Views: 1,053
Last edited:

solnyshok

Thank you, JamesD. Yes I am russian. I also have seen your posts on ixbt.

I tried this and dozen other variations, even went as far as making system unbootable, restarted without sodimm, hotplugged and restored it.

I tried many options, making whole system faster (writing faster parameters into slower module) and making system even slower (changing from 5-5-5-15 to 6-6-6-18). Nothing helped.

I am running out of ideas.
BTW, is there any limit to how many times you can flash SPD? I did it about 30 times, I reckon.

@sonlnyshok, I see. At this time I suggest you flash my profile and stick with 1 4GB module then. looks like it's either personal incompatibility which is impossible to solve or troubles wit motherboard/chipset. You may try to use another 4GB stick with your one. In fact I would do it anyway = sell 2Gb and buy 4GB.

P.S. 30 times?? You are hard flasher:) less is better. I guess many-many hundreds times but who knows.

up4it

CL4 Mission

Hi, looking to squeeze some more performance from my 3 year old laptop -would really appreciate some advice on which way to go...

Currently still have stock DDR2 sticks that came from new:
2x2gb 6-6-6-18 SODIMM @ 800mhz

Should I..
a) buy new 2x2gb HyperX CL4 800mhz
b) change the timings of the current sticks to the spd profile of the CL4 HyperX sticks using SPDTool
c) buy new generic 2x4gb 800mhz sticks (all seem to be cl6) and change the timings to CL4 from an exsiting database profile.

Has anyone done any of the above before with any success? Is there anyone with access to a CL4 spd profile file for 4gb DDR2 SODIMM sticks?
Cheers

up4i5, Remember this schedule of how important characteristics are:
1. Size of RAM (till 8GB for usual user on Windows 7 x64).
2. Frequency of RAM.
3. Timings.

In your case you better save money for 2x4GB OR at least 1 4GB stick to make it 6GB total.

As for timings... from 6 to 4 is very risky. And even if it is possible you may do it only on 2GB sticks or less and they will heat a lot. Much safer is make it CL5. Anyway do it only after you add more RAM and STILL will feel that you need more performance.

P.S. You can always buy SSD. It is even better upgrade than RAM.

P.P.S. By Generic RAM you mean no-name Chinese RAM sticks? You better don't play with them at all.