• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Terrible experience with XFX RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
This has nothing to do with your case but I've use nVidia cards since RivaTNT. The two times I tried an ATi/AMD card, the X850 XT which I bought, then the HD 7870 which was borrowed, have been an absolute shit show. I promised myself never am I going to try AMD again.

Which is funny because I had a similar experience with my 980 but I didn't let that rule out nVidia in the future. My Vega 56, 580s, 6850s, GTX 7900, GTX 7950 GX2, and who knows what else have all been rock solid.

Personally, I don't think these issues have anything to do with the card.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Where did you attach the grounding wire? If it has anything to do with ground pins on your 8-pin cable then I would be looking for a burnt/loose ground connector in your PSU wiring/board.

Edit: Although I would find it odd that you don't have problems with the 970. Anyway, I don't believe you got two bad cards with the same problems. Did you verify serial numbers that the seller didn't just send you the same card again?

Grounding wire from the VGA I/O to a metal part in the bottom the case and removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes to discharge the motherboard from any voltage.

Seller is XFX fulfilled by Amazon. The replacement was sent to me before I sent the original card back. Definitely brand new, same model, but a different VRAM manufacturer.

Did you try removing the Ups? I have used Polaris since release, mostly sapphire but asus too ,480 and 580 and ALLWAYS used multi monitor Dp and hdmi with no issues , it's too odd bro, still.

Plugging everything to a regular outlet (and a different one) was my first idea since the origin of the problem was electrical.

The issue is already solved and the source was poor isolation of DP/DVI/HDMI ports.

Or in other words, poor PCB design. Voltage from the monitors shouldn't be referred to the PSU.

That reminds me, I have to call XFX to bitch at them, I'll make myself a cup of coffee first.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
If anything I'd record all white sticker info down, then rma 1 more time, and ensure you get a different card- verify you did get a different card.

First test new card in another rig with different monitor and cables. If you experience no problems with the different rig/monitor/cable, plug your monitor and your cables in. If you start having problems, change to the different cables. If that doesn't fix the problem it is your monitor, if swapping cables fixes your problem then its a bad cable.

After that test the card in your machine with a different monitor and cables, if you experience no problems, swap to your monitor and your cables, if you have problems swap the different cable. If you have no problems it was the cable. If you have problems after swapping cables it is your monitor.

Now last test if you put the card in your rig and you have problems with your monitor and your cables and still same problem with different monitor and cables, but the card works in another machine altogether, there is something possibly wrong with your motherboard, case and power supply.

Check to ensure psu has no bare wires or no metal contact to power switch/reset switch wires or any other case accessories.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Grounding wire from the VGA I/O to a metal part in the bottom the case

I find it extremely unlikely that you got two bad cards with a bad resistor in the same circuit to cause these issues. If that truly is the case, go by a lottery ticket as you are the most (un)lucky person I know.

I think you have another component in your PC causing feedback. I want to say I am 100% certain but the 970 working fine throws a loop.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I find it extremely unlikely that you got two bad cards with a bad resistor in the same circuit to cause these issues. If that truly is the case, go by a lottery ticket as you are the most (un)lucky person I know.

I think you have another component in your PC causing feedback. I want to say I am 100% certain but the 970 working fine throws a loop.

Two cards from the same inventory: defective resistor.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Well i provided 1 final suggestion. Whether you take it is up to you.

/thread.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Nvidia Display Driver just crashes.
...and yet you're trying to tell us there is something wrong with the card and not your machine? You say things like this, but somehow you come up with answers like:
Two cards from the same inventory: defective resistor.

More like two cards from the same inventory: defective setup. I hope you understand how insane what you're suggesting sounds. If you want to continue to blame the GPU, then go for it, but I'm not going to help when you seem hell-bent on blaming the card and not how your machine is configured or even considering that there is a component in your machine that's causing this other than the GPU. The likelihood of getting two duds with the exact same problem that shows up immediately is incredibly suspicious. Considering it sounds like even nVidia drivers are even unstable, it's probably your machine that's unstable for one reason or another and not a defective card.

Until you actually try to rule out components in your machine, we're going to continue to run in circles. So, in the words of @eidairaman1:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
...and yet you're trying to tell us there is something wrong with the card and not your machine? You say things like this, but somehow you come up with answers like:

More like two cards from the same inventory: defective setup. I hope you understand how insane what you're suggesting sounds. If you want to continue to blame the GPU, then go for it, but I'm not going to help when you seem hell-bent on blaming the card and not how your machine is configured or even considering that there is a component in your machine that's causing this other than the GPU. The likelihood of getting two duds with the exact same problem that shows up immediately is incredibly suspicious. Considering it sounds like even nVidia drivers are even unstable, it's probably your machine that's unstable for one reason or another and not a defective card.

Until you actually try to rule out components in your machine, we're going to continue to run in circles. So, in the words of @eidairaman1:

If the nv driver crashes, that tells me either his mobo or psu are screwed up.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I tried 2 motherboards, 2 PSUs, 3 monitors, 2 DP cables, 3 DVI cables, 1 HDMI cable.
What was consistent between all that testing? Electrical circuit used?

Electrically, Maxwell and Polaris are quite different. Maxwell tends to have lower average power draw but bigger spikes. Polaris tends to have higher average power draw but not much in the way of spikes. The former is managed by capacitors in the PSU; the latter requires an overall better quality unit.

Were the two PSUs you tried the same make/model? There was a thread not that long ago where a user tried two matching PSUs, assumed it wasn't the PSU, but further testing proved it was: both units weren't up to the task even though the label suggests it should.

I said several pages back that PSU would be my second suspect and I'm of the opinion now that it is still the case. Power issues -> power supply (assuming the circuit/outlet are wired to code).

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Get a refund on that POS and by NVIDIA. I'm not surprised you have those issues. Replacing NVIDIA with AMD is a downgrade, as you've seen.
That's the most hilarious post I've read in a long time.
:D

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM

If the nv driver crashes, that tells me either his mobo or psu are screwed up.

I never said that Nvidia drivers were unstable.

Aquinus has taken words out of context and sentence.

I said that Nvidia cards are easier to overclock because the entire driver crashes when instability occurs [original post].

I'll follow on eidairaman1's advice, I'll wait a few weeks and RMA the card.

For now, I don't use DP, and I found the source of the black screens issue. It appears AMD drivers automatically disable "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checkbox everytime that you enter the Displays tab in Radeon Settings.

Were the two PSUs you tried the same make/model? There was a thread not that long ago where a user tried two matching PSUs, assumed it wasn't the PSU, but further testing proved it was: both units weren't up to the task even though the label suggests it should.

Seasonic S12G-750 and Be Quiet! Pure Power 700w. Both work perfectly and maintained.

That's the most hilarious post I've read in a long time.
:D

He has a point... the recent AMD drivers are a bit messy.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
For now, I don't use DP, and I found the source of the black screens issue. It appears AMD drivers automatically disable "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checkbox everytime that you enter the Displays tab in Radeon Settings.

So, are you saying that using a mode your monitor doesn't support fixes your black screens?

Edit: I think I read that wrong but I checked my Radeon Settings and I don't even have a Hide Modes that this monitor doesn't support. I don't even know where you are.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
The OP mentioned his DisplayPort cable.
I'm wondering if that has been causing a problem, because I had a similar issue with a cheapo cable and after replacing it with a $25 one, the problem went away.
Something to do with a current being passed through.
There's a video on YouTube about this, if I can just find it...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I'm wondering if that has been causing a problem, because I had a similar issue with a cheapo cable and after replacing it with a $25 one, the problem went away.

Same happens on hdmi, most who had uverse coax/cat5 stbs with their sony tv on hdmi would have foreign voltage from the tv going to the stb, trip the stb which was hooked to the gateway-which knocked the gateway out of sync. The fix was to put them on component cables.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
So, are you saying that using a mode your monitor doesn't support fixes your black screens?

Edit: I think I read that wrong but I checked my Radeon Settings and I don't even have a Hide Modes that this monitor doesn't support. I don't even know where you are.

It's a Windows' option. But the issue reappeared even with it enabled.

I tried 2 DP cables and several adapters (DP to DVI, DP to HDMI). But I moved on, using dual-link DVI + HDMI.

For the time being, I disabled extended display, until AMD provides a fix.

On GTX 970, everything worked perfectly.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
And accurate!

I bought the RX 580 just to spend some money on myself for the holidays. GTX 970 served me well. All games worked great.

I spent 2 weeks dealing with issues, testing and removing parts. Almost broke the case and fried the entire system.

Added a lot of wear and tear on the case screws, and just for a small performance gain.

What pisses me off the most, is to have issues even with DVI + HDMI.

On Nvidia, everything worked out of the box. Even HDMI v1.x cable and 4K TV.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
And accurate!

Not really lol

I tried 2 DP cables and several adapters (DP to DVI, DP to HDMI). But I moved on, using dual-link DVI + HDMI.

Beta drivers just came out

Processor i7-4790k
Motherboard Z97-A/USB 3.1
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory Gskill TridentX DDR3 2400 16GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 960 Evo, WD40E31X 4TB
Display(s) Dell S2716DG
Case Fractal Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX1000
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
What pisses me off the most, is to have issues even with DVI + HDMI.

On Nvidia, everything worked out of the box. Even HDMI v1.x cable and 4K TV.

If you really want to have some fun with Nvidia cards get a 1080 FE and pick up a 144hz gsync monitor and a 60hz 4k monitor and try to game in borderless window mode. I tried them both in on display port, and the Dell on DP and the LG on Hdmi 2.0. Monitors were a Dell S2716DG and LG 27UD68-W

Drove me crazy enough that I sold my 4k monitor and have been using 1 screen since. Every 3-5 minutes both monitors would black out for 5-10 seconds and come back repeatedly. Setting both monitors to 60hz or disconnecting either monitor prevented the issue. Games didn't crash but you'd obviously crash/die/fail to avoid whatever you were working on. Any video acceleration triggered the issue. It might have been resolved in the drivers by now but I experienced that for a few months.

I've never had a good time with XFX cards. If I'm buying AMD I pretty much stick to Sapphire.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
I've had both AMD and Nvidia cats for years and can't say I have a definitive preference for either make really.
For the moment AMD is my choice and price certainly is a big factor.
Asus or Sapphire preferably.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
If you really want to have some fun with Nvidia cards get a 1080 FE and pick up a 144hz gsync monitor and a 60hz 4k monitor and try to game in borderless window mode. I tried them both in on display port, and the Dell on DP and the LG on Hdmi 2.0. Monitors were a Dell S2716DG and LG 27UD68-W

Drove me crazy enough that I sold my 4k monitor and have been using 1 screen since. Every 3-5 minutes both monitors would black out for 5-10 seconds and come back repeatedly. Setting both monitors to 60hz or disconnecting either monitor prevented the issue. Games didn't crash but you'd obviously crash/die/fail to avoid whatever you were working on. Any video acceleration triggered the issue. It might have been resolved in the drivers by now but I experienced that for a few months.

I've never had a good time with XFX cards. If I'm buying AMD I pretty much stick to Sapphire.

I have a XFX 250X, pretty solid, a 290 VaporX as my main. I may try a Navi+ from xfx.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

Good luck with it, you should'nt have too though,,, its very odd, not typical of RX580's, i've ran them in 8 different boards personally without any of this happening , i had issues like some but not all at once ,all fixed easily enough and only one card that died after 5 years folding and getting soaked once, shame a better resolution cant be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.