Wednesday, March 17th 2010

AMD Phenom II X6 Series Clock Speeds Revealed

AMD's much talked about six-core processors, the Phenom II X6 series, consists of three models for what we know in good detail: model numbers 1075T, 1055T, and 1035T at the bottom. But what remained a mystery were their clock speeds. A leak by one of the motherboard manufacturers who recently released supportive BIOS updates reveals the clock speed for the entry-level Phenom II X6 1035T to be 2.60 GHz, that of the 1055T to be 2.80 GHz, and of the high-end 1075T to be 3.00 GHz. As revealed earlier, the 1035T has a TDP of 95W, while the 1055T has both 125W and 95W variants in the making, and the 1075T has a TDP of 125W.

With so many motherboard vendors specifically designing their upcoming products to be ready for "140W TDP", it isn't hard to guess that there could be a higher-end part in the making, which is probably clocked even higher, and comes with the Black Edition branding. All Phenom II X6 processors are based on the "Thuban" core, a port of the Istanbul six-core architecture to the AM3 package. There are six cores with dedicated 512 KB of L2 caches and a shared 6 MB L3 cache (total cache being 9 MB). The new chip will be announced in the weeks to come.Source: TechConnect Magazine
Add your own comment

65 Comments on AMD Phenom II X6 Series Clock Speeds Revealed

#1
xaira
if the 1035t is <$150, its on
Posted on Reply
#2
Kantastic
If the price is right I think serious crunchers might have another option other than i7.
Posted on Reply
#3
Aleksa
X4 Zosma core specs and current AMD CPU's manifacturing limitations

"Zosma" 45 nm, Quad-core

Phenom II X4 960T 3.3 GHz 2.4HT 2Mb L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache = 8Mb cache total, 95 TDP AM3 locked 2 cores = Turban X6 variant.

The upcoming X4 and X6 CPU's such as 975 3.6Ghz 125 TDP and dual variants X6 2.8Ghz 1055T at 95 TDP and 125 TDP clearly show as that AMD can produce a X2 - X3 at 4.0 Ghz and X4 at 3.9 Ghz - 4.0 Ghz 140 TDP with upcoming 4th stepping introduced with X6 1035, 1055, 1075 and X4 960T.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/14540/phenom_ii_x6_clock_speeds_revealed/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_AMD_microprocessors ;)
Posted on Reply
#4
Mussels
Moderprator
zosma does look interesting with the lower TDP
Posted on Reply
#5
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
I need to save up I think ill keep my ch3 and go with a higher end 6 core instead of a ch4 and low end 6 core
Posted on Reply
#6
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Is there anyway to find out if that high-end 6 core will be supported by my board other than looking for a new bios update?
Posted on Reply
#7
Kantastic
TheMailMan78 said:
Is there anyway to find out if that high-end 6 core will be supported by my board other than looking for a new bios update?
Email/call Asus or wait and find out. ;)
Posted on Reply
#8
nt300
TheMailMan78 said:
Is there anyway to find out if that high-end 6 core will be supported by my board other than looking for a new bios update?
It AM3 then yes it will support it.
Posted on Reply
#9
suraswami
TheMailMan78 said:
Is there anyway to find out if that high-end 6 core will be supported by my board other than looking for a new bios update?
Or buy one put it in, wait and see which one blows up first :roll::roll::roll::roll:
Posted on Reply
#10
Mussels
Moderprator
nt300 said:
It AM3 then yes it will support it.
^

what he said

BIOS update will be good to make sure its detected right, but since they havent made any major changes, it should work in any AM3 boards.
Posted on Reply
#11
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Mussels said:
^

what he said

BIOS update will be good to make sure its detected right, but since they havent made any major changes, it should work in any AM3 boards.
I have an AM2+ board that supports AM3.
Posted on Reply
#12
Mussels
Moderprator
TheMailMan78 said:
I have an AM2+ board that supports AM3.
i'm not 100% on whether these CPU's include a DDR2 memory controller. if they do, AM2+ boards are good too.
Posted on Reply
#13
Super XP
Mussels said:
i'm not 100% on whether these CPU's include a DDR2 memory controller. if they do, AM2+ boards are good too.
The last time I heard is all AM3 CPU's have dual DDR2/3 memory controllers built into them. This was a confirmation from an AMD press release they posted on there website in around 2008/9. They would support AM2+ /AM3 up until Bulldozer got released which may very well be on a different socket. I wish I can find that darn press release. :cool:

This is what I read from it if memory serves me well :D
AM3 CPU's will work on AM2, AM2+ & AM3 mobo's but AM2 & AM2+ may be limited to due to its DDR2 based chipset in terms of tweaking and extra features which the AM3 CPU may have.:eek:
AM3 motherboards will not support AM2 & AM2+ CPU's. :cry:
Posted on Reply
#14
Mussels
Moderprator
Super XP said:
The last time I heard is all AM3 CPU's have dual DDR2/3 memory controllers built into them. This was a confirmation from an AMD press release they posted on there website in around 2008/9. They would support AM2+ /AM3 up until Bulldozer got released which may very well be on a different socket. I wish I can find that darn press release. :cool:

This is what I read from it if memory serves me well :D
AM3 CPU's will work on AM2, AM2+ & AM3 mobo's but AM2 & AM2+ may be limited to due to its DDR2 based chipset in terms of tweaking and extra features which the AM3 CPU may have.:eek:
AM3 motherboards will not support AM2 & AM2+ CPU's. :cry:
i know it used to be, i'm just saying we dont know about these 6 cores - i saw some rumours a while back they may only work on AM3.


AM2/2+ CPU's only have DDR2 memory controllers (thus, dont work on AM3 boards)
AM3 CPU's have DDR2 and DDR3 controllers (works everywhere) - however, what if removing those DDR2 controllers cut back power consumption and heat? maybe thats how AMD got the TDP down.
Posted on Reply
#15
eidairaman1
Mussels said:
i know it used to be, i'm just saying we dont know about these 6 cores - i saw some rumours a while back they may only work on AM3.


AM2/2+ CPU's only have DDR2 memory controllers (thus, dont work on AM3 boards)
AM3 CPU's have DDR2 and DDR3 controllers (works everywhere) - however, what if removing those DDR2 controllers cut back power consumption and heat? maybe thats how AMD got the TDP down.
They Probably removed the DDR 2 Controller to make room for the other cores, otherwise this would be a very big Die we are Dealing with
Posted on Reply
#16
jmcslob
Yeah i don't see the point in a ddr2 controller in future CPU's
So my guess would be it'll be AM3 and no AM2+
Besides why drag a dead technology anyway
Posted on Reply
#17
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Bta do you know if it has a DDR2 controller? I believe you said it did a while back?

I belive it will. I found this graph over on AMD.



Also according to this it will..
If you've been salivating over the thought of getting your hands on one of AMD's six-core processors but didn't want to spend the extra associated with the company's server-oriented Opteron label, there's good news: enter Thuban.

The guys over at MaximumPC have confirmed with AMD that the six-core technology which has gone into its Opteron server processors is due to hit the mainstream early next year with a consumer-grade chip codenamed Thuban. Interestingly, the processor will be fully backwards compatible with existing AM3 and AM2+ motherboards - although not ones based around the older AM2 standard.

Thuban processors will feature an on-chip DDR2/DDR3 memory controller, and will be fabricated using AMDs current 45nm technology. While official branding for the product has yet to be confirmed, it's thought that Thuban chips will be sold as Phenom II X6 at retail.

While clock speeds are thought to take a hit compared to quad-core parts in order to keep down the TDP, the Thuban chips will have a decent stack of cache memory with 3MB of level 2 in total and 6MB of level 3 unified cache on-board.

While it's good to see server-side technologies trickling down to the desktop, AMD might have misjudged this release: rival Intel's own Gulftown technology - which is a six-core processor using HyperThreading to present twelve logical processors to the operating system - is also backwards compatible to the company's LGA1366 motherboards and is expected to hit the market first.

Will you be rushing to upgrade to AMD - or Intel's - six-core desktop processors, or are you struggling to make the most of a four-core system? Is the future of computing simple raw power or a greater number of slower processing cores?
Source

So if its based off of the newer Opteron then it should in fact run DDR2.

jmcslob said:
Yeah i don't see the point in a ddr2 controller in future CPU's
So my guess would be it'll be AM3 and no AM2+
Besides why drag a dead technology anyway
Going from DDR2 to DDR3 on an AMD platform makes very little difference so its not "dead" by any standard of the word.
Posted on Reply
#18
Mussels
Moderprator
its not dead, but even here in Au DDR3 is better value for money now. No one buying a new system would buy new DDR2 to go with it.
Posted on Reply
#19
Super XP
That is what I thought also that AMD is sticking to there guns and supporting DDR2 along with DDR3 just until Bulldozer gets released. So this is good news indead.

What's better news is a possible massive price cut on the current Phenom II x4's :D I hear AMD will also be releasing a 3.60 GHz Quad-Core in Q2 2010. (April-May-June).

Phenom II X4 975 3.6 GHz :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_AMD_microprocessors#.22Deneb.22_.2845_nm.2C_Quad-core.29
Posted on Reply
#20
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
TheMailMan78 said:
Bta do you know if it has a DDR2 controller? I believe you said it did a while back?

I belive it will. I found this graph over on AMD.

http://www.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_ChartsDiagrams/375WGIF/29415.gif
That's Istanbul Opteron processor's schematic. Besides I already said since it's based on Istanbul, it will have DDR2 support. It's just that not many motherboard manufacturers will be inclined to give away supporting BIOS for their AM2+ motherboards.
Posted on Reply
#21
ERazer
so i could sell my q9550/mobo and keep ddr2 mem for 6 cores wcg goodness :D
Posted on Reply
#22
Wile E
Power User
TheMailMan78 said:
Bta do you know if it has a DDR2 controller? I believe you said it did a while back?

I belive it will. I found this graph over on AMD.

http://www.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_ChartsDiagrams/375WGIF/29415.gif

Also according to this it will..

Source

So if its based off of the newer Opteron then it should in fact run DDR2.

Going from DDR2 to DDR3 on an AMD platform makes very little difference so its not "dead" by any standard of the word.
Could very well make a larger difference with 6 cores worth of info being processed.

At any rate, these are nice looking clock rates and power figures. Now all we need is a price. If the price is right, I might sell off my QX, and build a six core AMD for a second rig.
Posted on Reply
#23
jmcslob
Wile E said:
Could very well make a larger difference with 6 cores worth of info being processed.

At any rate, these are nice looking clock rates and power figures. Now all we need is a price. If the price is right, I might sell off my QX, and build a six core AMD for a second rig.
I think you would quickly find it to be your favorite

Don't get me wrong Intel is all around better But AMD CPU's give a little extra spunk to applications Specially when combined with a nice ATI GFX card

And that's kind of what I meant about ddr2 being...it's dead by cost...and yes ddr3 does make a big difference on AMD systems ahhh to a point LOL
Posted on Reply
#24
Munki
I smell serious crunching power. :D
Posted on Reply
#25
Melvis
3.00GHz and possibly above....nice, was wondering if they would go above 2.8GHz there for awhile.

What im realy looking forward to is the 3.6GHz Quad if and when this will come out?
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment