Tuesday, March 13th 2012

GeForce GTX 680 Up To 40% Faster Than Radeon HD 7970: NVIDIA

GPU vendors tend to give out their own performance figures of the products they're launching, compared to competitors' products. In one such comparison, allegedly of the GeForce GTX 680, doing rounds on the internet, NVIDIA's new GPU was evaluated by its makers be be over 40% faster than the Radeon HD 7970 in some tests. Keeping Radeon HD 7970 as a baseline, NVIDIA presented its performance figures for the GeForce GTX 680's leads over it, and Radeon HD 7950's trails under it. Results of as many as 15 tests were presented, from 7 games/benchmarks. All benchmarks were run with and without AA. The one test that caught the eye is Battlefield 3 with "4xAA". Experts we spoke to think NVIDIA could be using FXAA algorithm. In any case, NVIDIA looks to be confident of taking back the fastest-GPU crown from AMD.

Source: NGF Community

192 Comments on GeForce GTX 680 Up To 40% Faster Than Radeon HD 7970: NVIDIA

eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Fairlady-z said:
Yeah, id love to but I am pressed for time as of how long I can wait. I got 3 days left to return these bad boys. I usually always buy Nvidia cards, but thought it be nice to switch up no complaints here. Now if I can have better performance for the same money why not right.
honestly i wouldnt trade up as its a side grade perse, just wait till a gen or 2 down the line less they refresh both product lines before then.
jihadjoe
I feel like we're in an Antbox. Scrabbling over tidbits of information while the great Wiz watches amusedly from above.
xenocide
I wouldn't really call 230,400 (a solid 10%) a few. But yes, those numbers are likely fake.
thematrix606
I just had to remake that graph starting at 0:

:nutkick: take that marketing
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Im not holding my breath on this, Id rather see numbers from Wizzard instead of some marketing slides
THE_EGG
So basically if all you play is Civilisation V, then you must buy AMD card.
thematrix606
THE_EGG said:
So basically if all you play is Civilisation V, then you must buy AMD card.
I think the FPS for CiV 5 is already high enough to smoothly enjoy on a 570 / 6970. So it would not matter ;) You'll be above 60 most of the time.
Velvet Wafer
I really hope Nvidia fails with the 6xx Series... if they fail their cards a few times more, we maybe see equal market shares between Nvidia and AMD soon, man that would be great! :D
Horrux
Either nVidia really messed up with the GK100 and had to use the GK104 to fill the gap, or they actually did make GK104 so damn powerful that the ridiculously overpowered GK100 isn't needed this generation, and they're choosing to release it next turn around.

If the first case is true, then the GTX 680 will likely come slightly above the HD 7950, as previously thought. If the second case is true, then I'll eat my socks.
thematrix606
Velvet Wafer said:
How about no? That's horrible for the consumer! :banghead:

The discreet GPU market is pretty evenly split, almost at 50/50 so I don't know what you're talking about.
Horrux
thematrix606 said:
How about no? That's horrible for the consumer! :banghead:

More like 65/35 actually. :(
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Velvet Wafer said:
Nvidia has been losing market share for a while now man. Hell they just lost ALL the console market for the next gen. Granted they are still a VERY big player. Just not what they used to be.
THE_EGG
thematrix606 said:
haha i know, i know. Just trolling the graph lol.
Crap Daddy
Horrux said:
If the second case is true, then I'll eat my socks.
Get yourself some hot sauce to go with the socks. You'll need it man... soon.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Horrux said:
If the second case is true, then I'll eat my socks.
Will you also eat your hat if it beats HD 7970 in average performance @ 1080p? :)
Delta6326
Haha I love these graphs the thing they don't tell you is that with a 7970 or 680, 90% of all your games will be playable at 60FPS+. I never understand why people make such a big deal about it.:rolleyes:
GC_PaNzerFIN
Delta6326 said:
Actually, as owner of 120Hz monitor I would really prefer games to run at constant 120fps which is impossible with current gen single cards. Even 60fps is tough to get in some games.
beck24
TheMailMan78 said:
Actually you are completely wrong. Nvidia has 65%, AMD 35% of the latest discrete card market numbers, which is the only arena they both compete in. Nvidia gained market share over the last year in this market. In the lucrative professional market, Nvidia has above 80%. Integrated graphics , where Nvidia does not compete, Intel holds the biggest share by far.
TheMailMan78
Big Member
beck24 said:
Um.......

Thats what we call in the real world a LOSS of market share.
Wrigleyvillain
PTFO or GTFO
But you and I just switched MM...they'll be fine! :D
beck24
TheMailMan78 said:
Um.......

Thats what we call in the real world a LOSS of market share.
sorry pal
from JPR February 28, 2012:
As usual, it was a two horse race between AMD and Nvidia. The latter saw graphics cards shipments increase by 3.7% from Q3 2011 to 63.4% while AMD-based boards decreased 3.6% to 36.3% for the same period. On a year-to-year basis AMD lost market share by 2.7% while Nvidia gained 2.9%.

Vendor Q4 2011 Q3 2011 Q4 2010
AMD 36.3% 39.9% 39.0%
Nvidia 63.4% 59.7% 60.5%
Others 0.3% 0.4% 0.5%

MarcusTaz
beck24 said:
sorry pal
from JPR February 28, 2012:

Vendor Q4 2011 Q3 2011 Q4 2010
AMD 36.3% 39.9% 39.0%
Nvidia 63.4% 59.7% 60.5%
Others 0.3% 0.4% 0.5%

Honestly who cares, let's just see how much faster this 680 is and how high priced it will be... Knowing Nvidia they will try and rip off the consumer some more... :roll:
jaredpace
GTX 680 Benchmarks

thematrix606 said:
I just had to remake that graph starting at 0:

:nutkick: take that marketing
Heres some more from Pcinlife and chiphell reviews. Not as favorable as nv inhouse, but realistic. Loses to the 7970 in a couple, but overall 15-20%. 40% in BF3 + AA, since AMD sucks at bf3