Thursday, June 5th 2014

AMD Sends New Mobile APUs to the Edge of Space and Back

To celebrate the introduction of its new 2014 AMD Performance Mobile APUs designed for ultrathin and high-performance mobile PCs, AMD yesterday launched its all-new enthusiast-class Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) for notebooks (formerly codenamed "Kaveri") to the edge of space, symbolically expanding the physical environment of mobile computing in parallel to how AMD expanded the performance envelope of mobile computing through its new APU design.

The new mobile APUs mark the debut of Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) features and Mantle gaming support for mobile devices, establishing these APUs as AMD's most advanced mobile computing technology to-date.
Moosburg, Germany, near Munich, was the lift-off site for a 2 meter wide AMD-branded, helium-filled balloon containing a new AMD A-Series APU for notebooks, which reached the heights of 36,240 meters (118,900 feet) before floating gently back to earth 1 hour and 47 minutes later. The balloon also included a payload container equipped with HD cameras and an advanced GPS system, to capture images and video of the journey from the APU's perspective and track the balloon's location.

"After the success of the AMD A-Series APU family (codename: 'Kaveri') in the channel segment in EMEA, we are proud to bring advanced features like the heterogeneous system architecture (HSA) and Mantle gaming support to sleek, power-efficient portable form factors," said Mario Silveira, director of consumer sales AMD EMEA. "This incredible initiative to launch the first APU for notebooks with HSA features, to the edge of space has been welcomed and supported by our partners Acer and expert who, just like us, want to be the first to celebrate new technologies and offer superior performance, stunning graphics and efficient power use to consumers."

Upon its return to earth approximately 28 km (17 miles) from where it was originally launched, the AMD and Acer teams retrieved the HD cameras and, with the help of the new and powerful AMD-based Acer Aspire E5-551G notebook, screened all available images and video to create and upload a 90-second video of the processor's incredible journey.

"We are excited to be part of such a unique way to introduce a product into the market," said Wilfried Thom, Region Manager Central Europe. "Acer, always at the forefront in bringing innovative PC solutions to the market, is pleased to be among the first PC manufacturers to introduce the new AMD 2014 Performance APUs in the high-performance mobile PC space in EMEA."

The Acer Aspire E5-551G notebook, based on a new AMD 2014 Performance Mobile APU, will be available starting in mid-June through specialised retail cooperation expert in Germany, and shortly thereafter throughout the EMEA region.
Add your own comment

24 Comments on AMD Sends New Mobile APUs to the Edge of Space and Back

#3
Vinska
@Frick, wow, that looks p baller
Too bad finding laptops with AMD chips at these parts is always hard. Intels as far the eye can see.
Posted on Reply
#4
Jorge
Vinska said:
@Frick, wow, that looks p baller
Too bad finding laptops with AMD chips at these parts is always hard. Intels as far the eye can see.
Thankfully Kaveri has opened a lot of new doors for AMD and you will see more laptops with Kaveri than any AMD powered laptops before it. AMD has literally changed the PC landscape for the better and the majority of the PC industry is onboard. It only gets better from here on out with AMD APUs.
Posted on Reply
#5
techy1
impressive charts! why we did not see AMD in many laptops before - you ask... answer - CPU preformace was for A10 was below i3 U series... but now - FX-600p is better than i7 U (same AndTech test) - I think that we will se lot of laptops with Kaver for that reason! (still nobody will not give a damn about crappy last gen AMD's - no matter how low they cost)
Posted on Reply
#6
FrustratedGarrett
Frick said:
There are some benchmarks at Anandtech.




Among others. Can't insert images for some reason.

Anyway not bad actully. That's pretty much gaming on IGP. How much is it supposed to cost again?






I don't usually trust Anandtech when it come to reviewing AMD or Nvidia products. Anandetch have stronger than usual relations with Intel. I don't think I've seen a review that shows the 7600p losing against any Intel chip in gaming.
Posted on Reply
#7
Arjai
:laugh:

AMD, Dead? :roll:

Go sit in the corner, Intel fanboi's!! :laugh:

BTW, the end of that Video? Made me laugh. Could not have planned it any better!
Posted on Reply
#8
Vinska
Arjai said:
BTW, the end of that Video? Made me laugh. Could not have planned it any better!
What video?
Posted on Reply
#9
Arjai
Vinska said:
What video?
From the OP,
..Upon its return to earth approximately 28 km (17 miles) from where it was originally launched, the AMD and Acer teams retrieved the HD cameras and, with the help of the new and powerful AMD-based Acer Aspire E5-551G notebook, screened all available images and video to create and upload a 90-second video of the processor's incredible journey.
Posted on Reply
#10
xvi
They probably used a weather balloon, but it's a fairly neat PR stunt. I've been poking around for a well performing AMD-powered laptop. Been looking at the A8 and A10 offerings, but I'll have to wait for these new APUs. I certainly hope they come at a decent price.
Posted on Reply
#11
Vinska
thanks, @Arjai! I somehow managed to miss that part... :oops:
Posted on Reply
#12
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
FrustratedGarrett said:






I don't usually trust Anandtech when it come to reviewing AMD or Nvidia products. Anandetch have stronger than usual relations with Intel. I don't think I've seen a review that shows the 7600p losing against any Intel chip in gaming.
At least he includes a dedicated GPU. ;)
Posted on Reply
#13
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
Well, the APU isn't going to do me much good if it's all the way up there. :rolleyes:
Is this supposed to be PR for APUs? I don't see how putting it on a balloon makes it any more interesting than it already is. Tell me that it's controlling a satellite and you might get my attention. :p
Posted on Reply
#14
Prima.Vera
Aquinus said:
Well, the APU isn't going to do me much good if it's all the way up there. :rolleyes:
Is this supposed to be PR for APUs? I don't see how putting it on a balloon makes it any more interesting than it already is. Tell me that it's controlling a satellite and you might get my attention. :p
LOL. Yeah. But satellites have really crappy processors inside, and that's mainly because of the radiation and extreme temp variation. So the smaller the transistor the faster wear off will be...
Posted on Reply
#15
HumanSmoke
Aquinus said:
Is this supposed to be PR for APUs? I don't see how putting it on a balloon makes it any more interesting than it already is.
Maybe someone should tell AMD that the Intel's 386 (and later 486) ran the flight systems of Space Shuttles over thirty years ago
Aquinus said:
Tell me that it's controlling a satellite and you might get my attention. :p
As Prima.Vera noted, cosmic radiation requires a hardened system with basically bulletproof operation. Most satellites run MIPS or IBM sourced RISC processors.
Posted on Reply
#16
GhostRyder
This APU will really take the notebook world by storm. The fact it performs this well just using an iGPU on games will make notebooks in the middle ground a great buy.
Posted on Reply
#17
Suka
Now imagine hybrid crossfire with respective R6,R5 or R4 graphics that will be a big win :D. I would def get me that considering it would be much cheaper than SLI enabled laptops
Posted on Reply
#18
TheinsanegamerN
Suka said:
Now imagine hybrid crossfire with respective R6,R5 or R4 graphics that will be a big win :D. I would def get me that considering it would be much cheaper than SLI enabled laptops
Except that hybrid graphics rarely work, and almost never have significantly higher framerates. the driver problems and louder cooling (or higher temps) as well as the higher cost rarely are worth the hassle.
Now, a nice, well built laptop with the fx-7600p, on the other hand, would be amazing. Im thinking something along the lines of the nice dell latitudes, such as the e6440, the thinkpad t series, or maybe the x230, you get the idea.
Posted on Reply
#19
xvi
TheinsanegamerN said:
Except that hybrid graphics rarely work, and almost never have significantly higher framerates. the driver problems and louder cooling (or higher temps) as well as the higher cost rarely are worth the hassle.
Now, a nice, well built laptop with the fx-7600p, on the other hand, would be amazing. Im thinking something along the lines of the nice dell latitudes, such as the e6440, the thinkpad t series, or maybe the x230, you get the idea.
+1. I know two people who have laptops with hybrid graphics. Of those two people, two of them have issues getting it to work. Yeeeeahh.
Posted on Reply
#20
Durvelle27
So glade I decided to wait to get my Laptop. This look very promising
Posted on Reply
#21
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
Prima.Vera said:
LOL. Yeah. But satellites have really crappy processors inside, and that's mainly because of the radiation and extreme temp variation. So the smaller the transistor the faster wear off will be...
HumanSmoke said:
Maybe someone should tell AMD that the Intel's 386 (and later 486) ran the flight systems of Space Shuttles over thirty years ago

As Prima.Vera noted, cosmic radiation requires a hardened system with basically bulletproof operation. Most satellites run MIPS or IBM sourced RISC processors.
I was being sarcastic, but thank you for the enlightenment. I would rather see substantive changes and the benefits they provide as opposed to doing PR stunts like this that really mean nothing but to attract attention.
Posted on Reply
#22
Shambles1980
if only i cared about laptops for gaming lol.
i liked the man in a space suit (why?)
the sheep at the end that had no fear.
and the 4 bits of fishing line used to mount the chip. (that's what i call low budget)

as for the actual chip.
if it can provide good performance and let people game on a laptop without burning their legs off then that has to be a good thing.
Posted on Reply
#24
TRWOV
They already launched it... to SPAAAACE :laugh:

No, seriously, it supposed to ship in H1 2014..... so this month?
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment