Thursday, October 30th 2014

MSI Unveils World's First Gaming Laptop With a Mechanical Keyboard

MSI Computer Corp, a leading manufacturer of computer hardware products and solutions, unveils the GT80 Titan, the world's first gaming laptop with a mechanical keyboard.

First of its kind, MSI's GT80 Titan ushers the future of gaming by integrating a SteelSeries gaming keyboard with Cherry Brown MX switches into the 18-inch gaming beast. Mechanical keyboards provide superior tactile feedback, increases durability, and enhances overall gaming experience by eliminating key jamming even during the most heated battle sessions.

"Performance is key for gamers and the GT80 Titan will forever change the mobile gaming experience," says Andy Tung, president of MSI Pan America. "We are proud to be at the forefront of the gaming evolution and will continue to provide solutions that deliver the most outstanding gaming experience in the world."

MSI's newest gaming laptop uses standard Cherry switches and a standard keycap with 27 mm of thickness, nearly 5 times of traditional laptop keyboards. It is also the world's slimmest and lightest 18-inch gaming laptop, measuring 17% thinner and 22% lighter than its closest competitor. To fully optimize the keyboard, the GT80 Titan features an enhanced SteelSeries Engine with CloudSync, allowing users to save and synchronize settings via SteelSeries cloud storage.

"The GT80 Titan blends the performance of a high-end gaming desktop with the mobility of a laptop," adds Tung.

To receive the latest news about the GT80 Titan, including specs, availability and pictures, sign up at GT80 Titan's Homepage.
Add your own comment

22 Comments on MSI Unveils World's First Gaming Laptop With a Mechanical Keyboard

#1
nickbaldwin86
monitor res? 1440p and 144hz would be cool ...haha

That dragon is GROSS!!!!!
Posted on Reply
#2
SaltyFish
The numpad doesn't appear to be mechanical. I wonder if MSI will catch flak for that the same way Corsair did with their K60 keyboard.
Posted on Reply
#3
Black Haru
I like it, but I really wish they had made better use of that empty space up top. why not a small screen? it would be well placed for peripheral programs like teamspeak.
Posted on Reply
#5
remixedcat
nickbaldwin86 said:
monitor res? 1440p and 144hz would be cool ...haha

That dragon is GROSS!!!!!
Least it's not a tramp stamp!! XD
Posted on Reply
#7
xBruce88x
Black Haru said:
I like it, but I really wish they had made better use of that empty space up top. why not a small screen? it would be well placed for peripheral programs like teamspeak.
because that empty space is where all the hardware is at most likely. I doubt they have any real hardware under that keyboard, would make the laptop way too thick. As for the numpad.... looks like it doubles as the touchpad, see the two clickers on it at the bottom. I also wouldn't be surprised it there's a hard drive or SSD under that numpad/touchpad. looks like it has just enough room.

CPU/GPU/RAM are probably all in that empty section above the keyboard. looks like some speakers might be at the top edge too.
Posted on Reply
#8
AsRock
TPU addict
SaltyFish said:
The numpad doesn't appear to be mechanical. I wonder if MSI will catch flak for that the same way Corsair did with their K60 keyboard.
Besides making a laptop even more expensive, how ever that would be a deal breaker for me if i was to buy one. You know some one soon is going to do it right which they didn't here.
Posted on Reply
#10
erixx
Keeping the mech-hype high!!!

Inside: ultrabook components... outside doblecheesburger size.
Posted on Reply
#11
buildzoid
SaltyFish said:
The numpad doesn't appear to be mechanical. I wonder if MSI will catch flak for that the same way Corsair did with their K60 keyboard.
The numpad doubles as the trackpad
Posted on Reply
#12
GhostRyder
That is an awesome looking laptop, its huge like the other 18inch laptops (Alienware) but with a mechanical keyboard that can add a lot to the experience. Bet this is going to be expensive though!
Posted on Reply
#13
apoe
Would mechanical keys significantly increase weight?

All of my mech keyboard are much heavier than any membrane keyboard I've used. I like that for a 'desktop' keyboard, but on a laptop which you'd get for mobility, maybe not so much. That said, this laptop would probably be very heavy regardless. I wonder how they got it to be "22% lighter" than competing models...
Posted on Reply
#14
NC37
That looks horribly awkward and near painful to use.
Posted on Reply
#15
Prima.Vera
The Numpad doubles as the Trackpad and bellow is and SSD/HDD/DVD
Posted on Reply
#16
semantics
Cool so when you spill a little bit of soda or w.e on your laptop you just ruined your laptop. You know what's great about rubberdomes and scissor switches they aren't weak to dust, crumbs and a little bit of moisture like mech keyboards are. This is a stupid gimmick laptop just buy yourself a 60% mech keyboard and hook it up via USB.
Posted on Reply
#17
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
semantics said:
Cool so when you spill a little bit of soda or w.e on your laptop you just ruined your laptop.
You spill anything in your laptop you're probably in for a rough ride, mechanical keyboard or not.
semantics said:
You know what's great about rubberdomes and scissor switches they aren't weak to dust, crumbs and a little bit of moisture like mech keyboards are. This is a stupid gimmick laptop just buy yourself a 60% mech keyboard and hook it up via USB.
Mechanical switches are a bit of a different animal because the key shields the switch itself from particulates. I've found my mechanical keyboard to be just as effective at dealing with dust and crumbs than my last rubber dome keyboard. Also hauling around a keyboard with you is a PITA.
Posted on Reply
#18
semantics
Aquinus said:
You spill anything in your laptop you're probably in for a rough ride, mechanical keyboard or not.

Mechanical switches are a bit of a different animal because the key shields the switch itself from particulates. I've found my mechanical keyboard to be just as effective at dealing with dust and crumbs than my last rubber dome keyboard. Also hauling around a keyboard with you is a PITA.
You're lugging around like a 10 pound laptop with a like 5 pound brick of a psu and a gaming mouse and mousepad anyways. Not like size and ease of travel is considered much with that laptop.
Posted on Reply
#19
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
semantics said:
You're lugging around like a 10 pound laptop with a like 5 pound brick of a psu and a gaming mouse and mousepad anyways. Not like size and ease of travel is considered much with that laptop.
I still don't understand how having an external keyboard is easier or as easy to store and carry with you than a mouse which is much smaller and very well might have no wires. Also there are hardly any power bricks that weigh that much. Even the 360 brick didn't weigh that much. Hell, the origonal xbox 360 weighted a little over 7 pounds. Considering the way technology has gone, I suspect that brick and the laptop weigh 10 pounds together. Even my archaic 17" Dell laptop weights a little under 8 pounds, so lets put things into perspective shall we? The laptop probably weights no more than 8.5 pounds and the brick is probably 1lb tops. Let's not start blowing things out of proportion for whatever reason you may have.
Posted on Reply
#20
semantics
I can't be hyperbolic on the internet? Psh.

It's an 18" gaming laptop so it's a desktop replacement not a real mobile laptop. It's thick, large so regardless of how heavy it is it doesn't travel easily and will likely require the power brick to lug around which is likely a large power brick not something tiny that fits easily into places. So if you're lugging this thing around to play games you're probably lugging it around in a backpack which could instead easily fit a nicer 60% mech keyboard and your gaming mouse and mousepad.

This product is solving problems that don't exist.
Posted on Reply
#21
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
semantics said:
I can't be hyperbolic on the internet? Psh.
Not when people are trying to be serious, this isn't GN.
semantics said:
It's an 18" gaming laptop so it's a desktop replacement not a real mobile laptop. It's thick, large so regardless of how heavy it is it doesn't travel easily and will likely require the power brick to lug around which is likely a large power brick not something tiny that fits easily into places. So if you're lugging this thing around to play games you're probably lugging it around in a backpack which could instead easily fit a nicer 60% mech keyboard and your gaming mouse and mousepad.

This product is solving problems that don't exist.
Except for people who want a desktop replacement, like I did when I bought my Dell Studio 1735. It's a gaming laptop (heh) and it's a desktop replacement. There is an expectation that it will be large, heavy, and shitty on battery power. There is also an expection that it will haul like a bat out of hell as a result. It improves the situation for people who want to be able to play games on their laptop. Not a sensible objective, but it's an objective nonetheless.

The simple fact is that if someone want to game on their laptop, they'll probably need to be carrying around something that weighs this much but in the grand scheme of things, this laptop weighs less than desktop replacements in the past so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.
Posted on Reply
#22
Prima.Vera
I would love to have this, specially for those 2-3 months overseas trips I have to take every 3-4 months/year.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment