Thursday, February 16th 2017

Arkane's New IP is Prey to AMD's Vega - Possible Hint at Launch Window

It all seems to go back to AMD these days, doesn't it? If it isn't the company's upcoming Ryzen CPUs that stand in the limelight (a rare thing nowadays, with a seemingly neverending amount of leaks around them and the accompanying AM4 platform), it's the company's Vega graphics architecture that makes waves with new info or new leaks.

Now, reports are coming in (with solid imagery at that) regarding a collaboration between Arkane and AMD, marrying Arkane's promising new IP, Prey, and AMD's upcoming Vega architecture. This may sound like an interesting, if not at all important, piece of information. But digging deeper, this is probably indication of Vega's expected launch window. Considering that AMD's woman of the moment, Lisa Su, has previously placed Vega's launch in Q2 2017 (spanning April, May, and June), and adding 1+1, this places AMD's Vega launch before Prey's - after all, it wouldn't make much sense to market a game as being optimized for a given architecture.... If users can't actually use it.

As an avid reader and story addict, I admit that Arkane's take on the world of Dishonored in its second iteration left me a little underwhelmed (though the worldbuilding, gameplay and art direction were simply sublime). However, judging from Prey's trailers and some hands-on impressions running the world wide web, it looks as if Arkane has again hit the proverbial nail in the head. And from what AMD promises, Vega will be here to power it when it launches on May 5th.

Source: PCGameshardware.de
Add your own comment

19 Comments on Arkane's New IP is Prey to AMD's Vega - Possible Hint at Launch Window

#1
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
Very good deductive reasoning!
Posted on Reply
#2
HisDivineOrder
The game looks like the Bioshock-in-Space game gamers have always wanted. I hope it doesn't have any hidden downsides.

Bonus: it's not using the same engine that Dishonored 2 used.
Posted on Reply
#3
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
HisDivineOrder said:
Bonus: it's not using the same engine that Dishonored 2 used.
Why is that a bonus? That engine produced a magnificent-looking game.
Posted on Reply
#4
PowerPC
rtwjunkie said:
Why is that a bonus? That engine produced a magnificent-looking game.
Don't forget the framerate disaster that game was on launch. Not sure if it still is because I lost interest in it quickly. Anyway, a new engine makes for a more exciting demo
and hopefully by the time it arrives it'll have the best Vulcan support to show off what AMD cards can do. I'm also expecting nothing less than 4K@60 fps on Vega
Posted on Reply
#5
TheGuruStud
So the 3rd week of April rumor could be legitimate.
Posted on Reply
#6
yoyo2004
I enjoy reading articles written by "Raevenlord", as he often reflect his personal experience on his writing. :).

Raevenlord said:


As an avid reader and story addict, I admit that Arkane's take on ......
Posted on Reply
#7
ShurikN
TheGuruStud said:
So the 3rd week of April rumor could be legitimate.
That's sooner than most ppl expected, myself included.
Posted on Reply
#8
Fluffmeister
So right around the GTX 1080's first birthday, damn time flies.
Posted on Reply
#9
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
PowerPC said:
Don't forget the framerate disaster that game was on launch. Not sure if it still is because I lost interest in it quickly. Anyway, a new engine makes for a more exciting demo
and hopefully by the time it arrives it'll have the best Vulcan support to show off what AMD cards can do. I'm also expecting nothing less than 4K@60 fps on Vega
Disaster for SOME people. I played it perfectly from day one, as did many others. In any case, you missed out on some of the best level design and missions I have seen in a long time by losing interest.
Posted on Reply
#11
RejZoR
I guess it's a good time to finally finish Prey 1 lol. It'll work fine on GTX 980 XD
Posted on Reply
#12
TheGuruStud
RejZoR said:
I guess it's a good time to finally finish Prey 1 lol. It'll work fine on GTX 980 XD
That prey is a good game. This isn't related in any way, though, right?
Posted on Reply
#13
the54thvoid
TheGuruStud said:
That prey is a good game. This isn't related in any way, though, right?
It was meant to be Prey 2 but like many others recently (Doom, Tomb Raider) it's a reboot. Probably has similar weapon design (was it a gravity gun?).
Posted on Reply
#14
Raevenlord
News Editor
HisDivineOrder said:
The game looks like the Bioshock-in-Space game gamers have always wanted. I hope it doesn't have any hidden downsides.
I hope that too. From what I've seen, it has the potential to become one of the most interesting settings in new IPs, and the gameplay looks to think outside the box.

rtwjunkie said:
Why is that a bonus? That engine produced a magnificent-looking game.
I agree. Honestly, the lighting effects and the sun rays on the stone marbles.... They have to be among the best I've seen. The art direction from Arkane really speaks to me in every way. They have a way with making gritty, believable environments and characters (but I honestly think Emily was the weakest part of the storyline...)

yoyo2004 said:
I enjoy reading articles written by "Raevenlord", as he often reflect his personal experience on his writing. :).
Thank you, yoyo. Wasn't sure if members responded to it, but now that I know that at least one enjoys it, I will keep doing that where appropriate.

rtwjunkie said:
Disaster for SOME people. I played it perfectly from day one, as did many others. In any case, you missed out on some of the best level design and missions I have seen in a long time by losing interest.
Agreed. Much was said regarding Jindosh's clockwork mansion and Stilton's time forays, and I must say I agree wholeheartedly.
Posted on Reply
#15
the54thvoid
Raevenlord said:
They have a way with making gritty, believable environments and characters (but I honestly think Emily was the weakest part of the storyline...).
I would argue you've missed the point. Emily WAS the weakest part because she was a flawed Empress. As you talk with various people through the game you get a feeling that she and her 'elite' are too far removed from their subjects. It is the action of the game that brings to Emily her humanity (or lack of). The greatest dynamic the game allowed was for the player to make Emily what she would be.
Everyone else had a back story because you could do little to change it but for Emily, that was a chance to redeem her flat, soulless life and make something better of the young ruler.

As for Prey, it will be interesting to see how much story they can create and how linked to the character you can become.
Posted on Reply
#16
Raevenlord
News Editor
the54thvoid said:
I would argue you've missed the point. Emily WAS the weakest part because she was a flawed Empress. As you talk with various people through the game you get a feeling that she and her 'elite' are too far removed from their subjects. It is the action of the game that brings to Emily her humanity (or lack of). The greatest dynamic the game allowed was for the player to make Emily what she would be.
Everyone else had a back story because you could do little to change it but for Emily, that was a chance to redeem her flat, soulless life and make something better of the young ruler.

As for Prey, it will be interesting to see how much story they can create and how linked to the character you can become.
I see why you said that, but for me, Emily was just too much of a cookie-cutter, flawed-empress cardboard cut of a character. There isn't so much one can do with that theme that hasn't been done before, I admit. But I feel what you could do with Emily's story had more to do with (and was only done because of) the awesome mechanics Arkane implemented (and refined chaos system) than with a good story arc.

I have no problem with that, mind you - but the whole "disconnected from subjects-sees reality and hardships - decides to become a better empress" is so overly done by now that excellency must be achieved through writing. And the "only" good writing I saw, that showed me something from Emily's character, was on the Dust District mission, when you decide to either ship, kill or let overseer Byrne live. That's when she ponders the consequences of her actions, and the little travel log she writes after that mission was one of the most memorable pieces of character development for Emily. Also when she considers whether killing Jindosh wouldn't have been kinder than to destroy his mind. The rest... I have to say, really wasn't all that good or original.

Compare it with Billy's story arc, however, which I think is the most well thought-out and written one in the entire game, or even, at a limit, Sokolov's.

As for Prey, there is a definite parallel between Dishonored's void powers and Prey's alien infusions. I have high hopes for the game and I really hope we'll both feel vindicated by the game's quality...
Posted on Reply
#17
Therion_I
the54thvoid said:
It was meant to be Prey 2 but like many others recently (Doom, Tomb Raider) it's a reboot. Probably has similar weapon design (was it a gravity gun?).
It's not a reboot. They confirmed that it has nothing to do with the other Prey game, they just liked the name.
Posted on Reply
#18
medi01
TheGuruStud said:
So the 3rd week of April rumor could be legitimate.
That's sooner than I expect it.
Heck, even 5th of May is sooner that I expect it.
Posted on Reply
#19
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
Therion_I said:
It's not a reboot. They confirmed that it has nothing to do with the other Prey game, they just liked the name.
Correct. They had bought the name rights years ago, originally intending to continue or reboot, eventually deciding to go with their own new game.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment