Tuesday, February 28th 2017

AMD Names Radeon "Vega" Product Line as Simply Radeon RX Vega

AMD's hottest announcement from its Capsaicin & Cream event is the brand unveil for consumer graphics products based on the "Vega" architecture. The lineup will be called simply Radeon RX Vega (likely with brand extensions to denote tiers and model numbers). The company also unveiled the "V" (for Vega) logo we've seen from CEO Lisa Su's presser from last week. The product unveil video illustrates how "Vega" will span across the consumer-graphics, pro-graphics, and Radeon Instinct data-center GPU lines.
Add your own comment

34 Comments on AMD Names Radeon "Vega" Product Line as Simply Radeon RX Vega

#1
dir_d
You type very fast to get the news out so quick.
Posted on Reply
#2
RejZoR
Does this mean their next GPU will be named RX Navi ? That would actually be an interesting approach, more on the lines of car naming schemes than traditional numerical marking of graphic card models. I actually quite like it if they'll go with this.
Posted on Reply
#3
erocker
We still don't know what tiers their new cards are going to fall under. Disappointing stream for sure.
Posted on Reply
#4
kruk
They basically didn't reveal anything we didn't already know about Vega in this event :(. Also, the Vega VR tech demo was awful or maybe I didn't get the point.
Posted on Reply
#5
Dj-ElectriC
This stream was a mistake. It took vega hype and pushed it to the ground.
VR this, VR that. I felt sick after a while. If you make gaming affordable, don't make me want a 800$+ headset
Posted on Reply
#6
Raevenlord
News Editor
dir_d said:
You type very fast to get the news out so quick.
Don't even tell me. It's a nightmare to get anything before him.... :p
Posted on Reply
#7
medi01
Freaking embarrassment this even was...
Posted on Reply
#8
Xzibit
RejZoR said:
Does this mean their next GPU will be named RX Navi ? That would actually be an interesting approach, more on the lines of car naming schemes than traditional numerical marking of graphic card models. I actually quite like it if they'll go with this.
Eh, Toyota ? No.

RX Vega LE
RX Vega XLE
RX Vega XLE Hybrid
RX Vega SE
RX Vega SE Hybrid
RX Vega Limited
RX Vega Limited Hybrid
RX Vega Platinum
Posted on Reply
#9
RejZoR
They are giving the card an unique name. Till now it was always Radeon "bunch of letters and numbers that don't mean anything". Now, Vega by itself doesn't mean anything either, but it's closer to us by naming it with a pronounceable name.
Posted on Reply
#10
xorbe
the twitch chat box was on fire at the end
Posted on Reply
#11
kruk
xorbe said:
the twitch chat box was on fire at the end
Yeah, the spicy news about Vega got them burning :)
Posted on Reply
#12
xkm1948
YEEES! VVVVRRRRRRR!

Wait, where is VEGA? I thought it would be at least paper released already!
Posted on Reply
#13
Crap Daddy
Absolutely nothing, anti-hype event makes you think Vega is a dud. Later today Nvidia will launch the fourth card that has no competition from AMD.
Posted on Reply
#14
the54thvoid
Crap Daddy said:
Absolutely nothing, anti-hype event makes you think Vega is a dud. Later today Nvidia will launch the fourth card that has no competition from AMD.
It's a shame i feel the need to add the caveat that I'm buying a Ryzen CPU but I do think you're right. I think AMD are a little 'put off' by the 1080ti. If I had a card releasing in 2-3 months time and I knew it could beat the 1080ti, I'd be doing a demo of a score clearly showing it beating what a Titan X can do.

All we know so far is that it can beat a 1080 in Vulkan Doom. That's not enough. I just hope Nvidia got spooked early on and thought, "Hell, shit, let's just throw the rule book out and make the 1080ti bigger and faster than the Titan X".

As it is, it'll probably be a 1080/Titan Xp sandwich at a split the difference, exorbitant cost.
Posted on Reply
#15
RejZoR
Crap Daddy said:
Absolutely nothing, anti-hype event makes you think Vega is a dud. Later today Nvidia will launch the fourth card that has no competition from AMD.
And GTX 1080Ti will just be a faster GTX 1080. *yawn*

I admit they could use less of stupid VR garbage and focus more on the wow effect of working with Bethesda for example and remaking a custom Doom scene with some hyper realistic demon or something running at 4K at stupendously smooth framerate churning out billions of polygons and effects. That's the kind of stuff you need to show if you want to thrill people, not some stupid VR that no one from the audience can experience and even more so those who watched the stream and won't be able to go into the back rooms to test it out. Besides, I think VR is stupid anyway.

Still, we did get few interesting although not detailed informations about Vega which were nice, especially the HBC thingie. That essentially means your graphic card has nearly unlimited video memory. Yes, at a small penalty since RAM isn't as fast, but hey, I have freaking quad channel RAM and tons of it. I'll be able to put that into good use with Vega. And if you look back, The R9 Fury X cards (which was a competitor against GTX 980 series) in most cases today goes against GTX 1070 and we aren't talking just DX12/Vulkan here but also DX11.(Guru3D had some tests about that). That's pretty significant thing. And if you extrapolate that to much more modern GPU with almost entire GPU redone from scratch, it's gonna be super interesting. Sure, GTX 1080 is fast, but for me, it's like meeeh. It's just more of the same old stuff. Yes, it works, but it's meh. Not sure how else to explain my lack of enthusiasm about GTX 1080Ti...
Posted on Reply
#16
drade
I just wish... they would make the naming segment of their GPU line up consistent and more easy to understand.
Posted on Reply
#17
londiste
RejZoR said:
That essentially means your graphic card has nearly unlimited video memory. Yes, at a small penalty since RAM isn't as fast, but hey, I have freaking quad channel RAM and tons of it.
15.75 GB/s max, realistically a lot slower than this.
i don't think this is as helpful as you seem to think :)

edit:
ram is far away. most importantly it is on the other side of pci-e x16.
Posted on Reply
#18
Fluffmeister
Crap Daddy said:
Absolutely nothing, anti-hype event makes you think Vega is a dud. Later today Nvidia will launch the fourth card that has no competition from AMD.
Hey at least you know for sure Vega is going to be called.... Vega.
Posted on Reply
#19
the54thvoid
I just want a blazingly fast gfx card that can tear through games and deliver great image quality. The level of technology that card contains is secondary to its actual performance. So if 'hyper tech' Vega is slower than 'boring' Pascal, well, only a bloody trainspotter should prefer the Radeon.

I imagine however that Vega will be (hopefully) nowhere near as expensive.
Posted on Reply
#20
OneCool
We have a reference name a least
Posted on Reply
#21
kn00tcn
drade said:
I just wish... they would make the naming segment of their GPU line up consistent and more easy to understand.
what's wrong with it? first number is generation, next is how fast it is (unless you mean vega isnt numbered)

for the last two generations, there was an X which made it confusing (not really) to have multiple with the same number
Posted on Reply
#22
Prima.Vera
If their top card doesn't beat nVidia's Titan, then those cards are going to have a short life.
Posted on Reply
#23
yoyo2004
I couldn't care less about the name, I just hope they will be releasing something comparable to 1080+ performance at a reasonable prices. Imagine one powerful card of the price of 2*RX 480 and the performance of 1080+. And I am not referring to CF here ;0.
Posted on Reply
#24
1c3d0g
Yup, I have to agree with Crap Daddy here, I don't think Vega has what it takes to dethrone the 1080 Ti (2080?). Then again, I could be wrong, but the leaks don't look very promising, unless they have something truly groundbreaking in their new design.

I'm a die-hard Intel fan, but this round goes to AMD when it comes to CPU's. Ryzen is pretty much unmatched, especially for those of us in distributed computing. GPU's, however, are a different beast and still remain firmly in NVIDIA's hands (not that I have a problem with that, NVIDIA has always been good to me). I'm not even going to mention Volta, which is finalizing development as well, while AMD is just now bringing Vega online. This year is definitely a good year, AMD CPU + NVIDIA GPU = bliss. :cool:
Posted on Reply
#25
springs113
1c3d0g said:
Yup, I have to agree with Crap Daddy here, I don't think Vega has what it takes to dethrone the 1080 Ti (2080?). Then again, I could be wrong, but the leaks don't look very promising, unless they have something truly groundbreaking in their new design.

I'm a die-hard Intel fan, but this round goes to AMD when it comes to CPU's. Ryzen is pretty much unmatched, especially for those of us in distributed computing. GPU's, however, are a different beast and still remain firmly in NVIDIA's hands (not that I have a problem with that, NVIDIA has always been good to me). I'm not even going to mention Volta, which is finalizing development as well, while AMD is just now bringing Vega online. This year is definitely a good year, AMD CPU + NVIDIA GPU = bliss. :cool:
I'm going to be optimistic and say AMD is sandbagging. Vega imho is probably going to shock the sh*t out of us, i still believe that we're not being shown the top card in the Vega lineup. AMD did that with Ryzen, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say they are doing the same with Vega. A few months ago a string showed up showcasing a dual card, now today we get a report on a dual card that scaled 100% on a select title...coincidence?
Little Vega goes up against the 1080 mark my words.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment