Monday, September 4th 2017

RX Vega Achieves 43 MH/s @ 130 W in Ethereum Mining

AMD's RX Vega is more along the lines of an original computing card that was moved over to the consumer segment for gaming workloads than the other way around. Raja Koduri himself has said something along those lines (extrapolating a little more than what he can actually say), and that much can be gleaned with at least a modicum of confidence through AMD's market positioning and overall computing push. In the argument between gamers and miners, Raja Koduri didn't have all that much to say, but for AMD, a sale is a sale, and it would seem that after some tweaking, RX Vega graphics cards can achieve much increased levels of mining efficiency than their Polaris counterparts, further showing how Vega handles compute workloads much better - and more efficiently - than traditional gaming ones.
Now granted, Vega's strength in mining tasks - Ethereum in particular - stems mainly from the card's usage of HBM2 memory, as well as a wide architecture with its 4096 stream processors. By setting the core clocks to 1000 MHz, the HBM2 memory clock at 1100 MHz, and power target at -24%, Reddit user S1L3N7_D3A7H was able to leverage Vega's strengths in Ethereum's PoW (Proof of Work) algorithm, achieving 43 MH/s with just 130 W of power (104 W of these for the core alone.) For comparison, tweaked RX 580 graphics cards usually deliver around 30 MH/s with 75 W core power, which amounts to around 115 W power draw per card. So Vega is achieving 43% more hash rate with a meager 13% increase in power consumption - a worthy trade-off if miners have ever seen one. This means that Vega 64 beats RX 580 cards in single node hashrate density, meaning that miners can pack more of these cards in a single system for a denser configuration with much increased performance over a similarly specced RX 580-based mining station. This was even achieved without AMD's special-purpose Beta mining driver, which has seen reports of graphical corruption and instability - the scenario could improve for miners even more with a stable release.
Moreover, S1L3N7_D3A7H said he could probably achieve the same mining efficiency on a Vega 56, which isn't all that unbelievable - memory throughput is king in Ethereum mining, so HBm2 could still be leveraged in that graphics card. It seems that at least some of that initial Vega 64 stock went into some miner's hands, as expected. And with these news, I think we'd be forgiven for holding out to our hats in the expectation of increased Vega stock (at the original $499 for Vega 64 and $399 for Vega 56 MSRP) come October. Should the users' claims about RX Vega 56 efficiency be verified, and coeteris paribus in the mining algorithms landscape for the foreseeable future, then we can very much wait for respectable inventory until Navi enters the scene. Source: Reddit user @ S1L3N7_D3A7H
Add your own comment

102 Comments on RX Vega Achieves 43 MH/s @ 130 W in Ethereum Mining

#76
sweet
"thesmokingman said:
How are they going to show A/B comparisons if they don't use a B sample? Both NV and AMD use competitor products to show A/B comparisons. OMG, this is news!
It seems your sarcasm detector is broken, or the guy you quoted is actually an absolute retard.
Posted on Reply
#77
TheMailMan78
Big Member
So many butthurt AMD employees on TPU now. Here's a pro tip. Build better products, hire a better marketing team, don't lie about price to reviewers. Believe it or not people can do math and hedging you bets with miners is a losing one.
Posted on Reply
#78
theoneandonlymrk
"TheMailMan78 said:
So many butthurt AMD employees on TPU now. Here's a pro tip. Build better products, hire a better marketing team, don't lie about price to reviewers. Believe it or not people can do math and hedging you bets with miners is a losing one.
Troll much , relevance Zero.
Were on about mining efficiency bullshit in this thread man ,get with the flow, just sounding like a butt hurt hater who woke up the wrong side of his bed, i do it myself sometimes.:)
Posted on Reply
#79
dozenfury
If you could buy the 580 and Vega at retail, the 580 would be the most cost efficient based on pure mining speed (power aside). A 580 at $229 and 30 MH/s is about $7 per MH, vs. $9 or $11 for a Vega 56 (assuming the 56 could also hit 43 MH/s) at $400 or 64 at $500.

It's going to be different for everyone if the power savings would be enough to offset that, since power rates fluctuate so much. It's 6.5 cents kw/h in my area, but other areas are up to double that. And it still would take quite a while to make up the higher per MH card cost than a 580 in 15w an hour less power.

But it's all kind of moot until you can actually buy the cards for retail, since it's really going to be very tough to recoup costs at gouging prices. And there's the roll of the dice that ether prices won't crash again, and that difficulty doesn't shoot through the roof more than it has, and that ether doesn't go proof-of-stake before you earn your $ back. A year ago that was expected this past summer, so we're already kind of in bonus time for proof-of-stake.
Posted on Reply
#80
TheMailMan78
Big Member
"theoneandonlymrk said:
Troll much , relevance Zero.
Were on about mining efficiency bullshit in this thread man ,get with the flow, just sounding like a butt hurt hater who woke up the wrong side of his bed, i do it myself sometimes.:)
100% relevance. Mining is a crap industry that AMD has decided to hitch its wagon too. Mining efficiency is kinda moot considering people don't even know what they are mining. AMD is playing off to this stupidity and it shows with all the hired fanboys in this thread.
Posted on Reply
#81
theoneandonlymrk
"TheMailMan78 said:
100% relevance. Mining is a crap industry that AMD has decided to hitch its wagon too. Mining efficiency is kinda moot considering people don't even know what they are mining. AMD is playing off to this stupidity and it shows with all the hired fanboys in this thread.
I dissagree but hey ho.
I don't think Amd aimed at mining its a result of trying to catch-up with nvidias gpgpu offerings as its clear Ai will be big in the future.
Your first comment"So many butthurt AMD employees on TPU now. Here's a pro tip. Build better products, hire a better marketing team, don't lie about price to reviewers. Believe it or not people can do math and hedging you bets with miners is a losing one."

Just decries Amds pr and pricing , nothing to do with mining efficiency imho
And with the tone you show again in a thread plus avatar ,sure seams like you have a chip on your shoulder and are leaning fanboi style yourself.

Amd fogot to send my pay check for the last 15 years where do I complain.;):)
Posted on Reply
#82
ERazer
"cucker tarlson said:
At least Vega is gonna have better resale value than GTX. Unless the cryptocurrency mining market plummets. Then Vega's resale value is going to go down dramatically.
who would buy a used up mining card?
Posted on Reply
#83
DeathtoGnomes
"TheMailMan78 said:
100% relevance. Mining is a crap industry that AMD has decided to hitch its wagon too. Mining efficiency is kinda moot considering people don't even know what they are mining. AMD is playing off to this stupidity and it shows with all the hired fanboys in this thread.
If AMD really is counting on mining for profits, they need to do a better job at catering to that community. Hired fanboi's aside.
Posted on Reply
#84
R-T-B
"TheMailMan78 said:
100% relevance. Mining is a crap industry that AMD has decided to hitch its wagon too. Mining efficiency is kinda moot considering people don't even know what they are mining. AMD is playing off to this stupidity and it shows with all the hired fanboys in this thread.
I've been over this with you. What they are mining is very well established.

I really doubt AMD hires any fanboys. They don't have the money to do so.
Posted on Reply
#85
cucker tarlson
"R-T-B said:


I really doubt AMD hires any fanboys. They don't have the money to do so.
Didn't they split into a third division for that ? The RFG ?

:p

"ERazer said:
who would buy a used up mining card?
I was thinking of miners picking up your used vega. I've seen people sell their used R9 290s from gaming rigs for 30-40% more than they're worth during the holidays.
Posted on Reply
#86
yotano211
This thread is so full of poor mad angry gamers.
Posted on Reply
#87
Vayra86
"yotano211 said:
This thread is so full of poor mad angry gamers.
Doubtful, 90% already has Pascal.
Posted on Reply
#88
TheMailMan78
Big Member
"R-T-B said:
I've been over this with you. What they are mining is very well established.

I really doubt AMD hires any fanboys. They don't have the money to do so.
Yeah I know "algorithms". Of what nobody knows.
Posted on Reply
#89
Vayra86
"TheMailMan78 said:
Yeah I know "algorithms". Of what nobody knows.
Hot air of uncertain value. Kinda like farting..
Posted on Reply
#90
R-T-B
"TheMailMan78 said:
Yeah I know "algorithms". Of what nobody knows.
SHA256? Equihash? They are known.
Posted on Reply
#91
ERazer
"R-T-B said:
SHA256? Equihash? They are known.
deleted, ill just google it.
Posted on Reply
#92
TheMailMan78
Big Member
"R-T-B said:
SHA256? Equihash? They are known.
YES! and why did the NSA make SHA256? What's its purpose? (Cant wait to hear this tap dance).
Posted on Reply
#93
R-T-B
"TheMailMan78 said:
YES! and why did the NSA make SHA256? What's its purpose? (Cant wait to hear this tap dance).
A simple math hash? What? Are you honestly arguing it computes something? (the algorithm is well known and doesn't, its creation was part of a public contest and was audited)

It's purpose is cryptographic comparisons.

There really isn't a tap dance.
Posted on Reply
#94
DeathtoGnomes
I had thought SHA256 was/is part of windows 3.1 encryption security thing.:rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#95
Aleks
Hey Guys!
Just wondering what mining software you're using withe the Vega's?
I can't seem to get my Claymore Miner to read the Vega's at all. It works fine with the 570 and 580's (and all the nVidia's) but cannot recognize the Vega Cards.
Any help would be awesome.
Posted on Reply
#96
medi01
"Nephilim666 said:

tl;dr
AMD for mining and compute
NVIDIA for gaming
$200 tax on adaptive sync monitor, if you go with nvidia card, makes your "for gaming" point moot.

Main issue with AMD is that their GPUs are nowhere to buy for reasonable price, not that they don't perform well.
Posted on Reply
#97
Vya Domus
"Camm said:

Gamers abandoned AMD a long time ago, even when its cards were faster and cheaper.
Actually it was the press that started throwing crap at them , as a result gamers strayed away form AMD.

It's sad but the only way AMD can recover is by doing exactly the same things that we hate Nvidia for doing. In reality it never really mattered if they had faster and cheaper cards because review sites always found vague and ridiculous reasons to not recommend their cards. Just look at reviews of the 290X and RX480.

"_Flare said:
Nvidia hold back Volta because it will have tons of Compute with its 7 TPC per GPC.
The successor of the GTX1080 could have 3584 Cores with 4 GPC.
I whould bet on 5 TPC per GPC again, but with new SM (without TensorCores)
they have plenty of month for tuning now, because Vega failed so hard.
I bet GCN Navi doesn´t reach the 1080Ti either, even if Navi clocks with 2.5GHz.
Sorry to say this , but you don't really know what you are talking about.
Posted on Reply
#98
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
"TheMailMan78 said:
YES! and why did the NSA make SHA256? What's its purpose? (Cant wait to hear this tap dance).
As @R-T-B said, the same reasons as any other hashing function. SHA256 just has a longer result which means more possible unique values to avoid the collision of two inputs mapping to the same output.
Posted on Reply
#99
_Flare
"Vya Domus said:
Actually it was the press that started throwing crap at them , as a result gamers strayed away form AMD.

It's sad but the only way AMD can recover is by doing exactly the same things that we hate Nvidia for doing. In reality it never really mattered if they had faster and cheaper cards because review sites always found vague and ridiculous reasons to not recommend their cards. Just look at reviews of the 290X and RX480.



Sorry to say this , but you don't really know what you are talking about.
So, do you think the 4.5GHz of your FX-6300 is worth the same as same GHz with a Ryzen or i7-7700K?
i think, yes

Do you think energyefficiency matters when talking about gaming?
i think yes, if you don´t have electricyty for free
i think yes, if you want to easily and quiet cool your rig

Do you think there is a factor "x" in per clock-performance, when comparing nvidia GPU-Cores to AMD GPU-Cores?
i think the upper limit is about 1:1.25 to 1:1.33 advantage per clock at nvidia in average in games

this is btw one big point in the efficiency, just compare the Watt, Performance and Efficiency etc. of the 2048 Core Cards: GTX980 with the RX470, RX570
and additionally the GTX1070 with 1920 Cores.

maybe you learn a bit
Posted on Reply
#100
Vya Domus
"_Flare said:
So, do you think the 4.5GHz of your FX-6300 is worth the same as same GHz with a Ryzen or i7-7700K?
i think, yes

Do you think energyefficiency matters when talking about gaming?
i think yes, if you don´t have electricyty for free
i think yes, if you want to easily and quiet cool your rig

Do you think there is a factor "x" in per clock-performance, when comparing nvidia GPU-Cores to AMD GPU-Cores?
i think the upper limit is about 1:1.25 to 1:1.33 advantage per clock at nvidia in average in games

this is btw one big point in the efficiency, just compare the Watt, Performance and Efficiency etc. of the 2048 Core Cards: GTX980 with the RX470, RX570
and additionally the GTX1070 with 1920 Cores.

maybe you learn a bit
A block of text that has nothing to do with what I said. I have no idea about what are you even arguing and why.

My only comment to you was and I quote :
Sorry to say this , but you don't really know what you are talking about.
I wasn't arguing about anything , it was just an observation.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment