Thursday, April 13th 2017

AMD Ryzen "Pinnacle Ridge" CPUs and X470 Motherboards Open to Pre-orders

Ahead of its 19th April formal launch, AMD opened up pre-orders to its 2nd generation Ryzen "Pinnacle Ridge" processors, and compatible motherboards based on AMD X470 chipset. AMD is launching this series with four SKUs, the Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 7 2700 eight-core chips, and Ryzen 5 2600X and Ryzen 5 2600 six-core chips. The pricing of the four is surprisingly lower than expected. The top-dog 2700X has an SEP price of just USD $329, while the 2700 (non-X) goes for $299. The six-core parts aren't too far behind. The Ryzen 5 2600X has an SEP price of $229, and the Ryzen 5 2600 is $199. Pricing of the chips in the EU is along expected lines. The Ryzen 7 2700X is priced at 319€, followed by the Ryzen 7 2700 at 289€, Ryzen 5 2600X at 225€, and the Ryzen 5 2600 at 195€.

Based on the new 12 nm "Pinnacle Ridge" silicon, the Ryzen 7 2700X comes with higher clock speeds than the previous-generation flagship 1800X, with 3.70 GHz core, 4.30 GHz boost, and XFR boosting frequency beyond the max boost frequency. You get 8 CPU cores, and SMT enabling 16 logical CPUs, 512 KB of L2 cache per core, and 16 MB of shared L3 cache. The 2700 is clocked at 3.20 GHz, with 4.10 GHz boost. The 2600X and the 2600 are 6-core/12-thread parts, with the full 16 MB L3 cache available on-die. The 2600X is clocked at 3.60 GHz with 4.20 GHz boost and XFR; while the 2600 is clocked at 3.40 GHz, with 3.90 GHz boost. All four models include stock cooling solutions, including the 2700X and the 2600X. Availability in brick and mortar stores will commence on the 19th, it's also the day the first pre-ordered chips will start getting delivered.
Alongside the 2nd generation Ryzen "Pinnacle Ridge" processors, the first wave of motherboards based on the new AMD X470 chipset, are also up for pre-order. The X470 is mostly identical to the X370, except that it has out of the box support for "Pinnacle Ridge," an improved power-delivery specification to support higher overclocks; and StoreMI out of the box. AMD X370, B350, and A320 will still very much support these chips with BIOS updates, but you're at the mercy of your motherboard manufacturer for BIOS updates.

Performance reviews and finer details of these chips will be released only on April 19, so you're in the blind when placing any pre-orders today. Some retailers may even time their shipping to ensure delivery on the 19th.
Add your own comment

20 Comments on AMD Ryzen "Pinnacle Ridge" CPUs and X470 Motherboards Open to Pre-orders

#1
T1beriu
4.25 GHz boost
The slide clearly says 4.3 GHz.
4.20 GHz boost and XFR
4.2 Ghz is without XFR.
Posted on Reply
#2
ssdpro
So a new chipset but no requirement to use it. I am a bit surprised they would even release a new chipset as one of AMD's biggest selling points was platform longevity. For some reason AMD saw a need to "improve power infrastructure" for these 2nd gen chips with the X470. Either a) that "improved power infrastructure" is just marketing scam exaggeration or b) you have stability or lower clock possibilities on the current chipset. So which is it?
Posted on Reply
#3
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
ssdpro said:
So a new chipset but no requirement to use it. I am a bit surprised they would even release a new chipset as one of AMD's biggest selling points was platform longevity. For some reason AMD saw a need to "improve power infrastructure" for these 2nd gen chips with the X470. Either a) that "improved power infrastructure" is just marketing scam exaggeration or b) you have stability or lower clock possibilities on the current chipset. So which is it?
From information in the public domain, X470 is sold for the following reasons:
  • People are assured it supports Pinnacle Ridge out of the box (the Ryzen 2000 sticker probably didn't cut it, and only denoted Raven Ridge support for 300-series). Also that AMD wanted the latest motherboard "designs" (aesthetics) introduced with Intel 300-series chipset, so AM4 motherboards based on AMD 300-series chipset don't "look dated".
  • The chipset has lower power draw, apparently, and comes with StoreMI out of the box.
  • Although not a function of the chipset itself, AMD beefed up its CPU VRM specification with X470, for higher TDP Ryzen chips (this probably shouldn't make a difference compared to some of the more premium X370 boards).
Posted on Reply
#4
T1beriu
btarunr said:
The chipset has lower power draw
Did you just breach the NDA?
Posted on Reply
#6
ssdpro
I wish I had waited to jump in on this first refinement. I like that AMD is blending the old AMD and Intel strategies together. Current chipset can at least work and new chipset is optimized with a few new features. Intel is hit or miss with new CPUs on older chipsets - sometimes you get a BIOS update but it is often janky (see Kaby).
Posted on Reply
#7
R0H1T
So how much lower power draw can be expected from x470 & the likes, also is it on a smaller node, 55nm for x370, than the predecessor?
Posted on Reply
#8
ZoneDymo
And I would upgrade if not for ram and gpu prices
Posted on Reply
#9
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
ZoneDymo said:
And I would upgrade if not for ram and gpu prices
I'll upgrade piecemeal. Since CPUs tend to have the least DOAs, I'll buy a 2700X later this month (taking advantage of introductory price), RAM and board next month.

BTW, local AMD office sent me India prices. Any price above 7% of what you see below is a rip-off.

Posted on Reply
#10
Blo3der-Kuh
I have been waiting for an upgrade of my trusty old i5 2500k for quite while now and I was totally gonna buy an 2700X on release.

But there is not a single M-ATX motherboard out there! There are M-ITX boards from Asrock, Asus and Biostar, but no one cares to make an M-ATX one.

I have a nice, custom water cooled M-ATX case here, I am definitely not replacing that. Has anybody heard of a M-ATX X470 board in the making?

Edit: WCCF Tech has a nice overview of all X470 boards: https://wccftech.com/amd-x470-motherboard-roundup-asus-asrock-msi-aorus-biostar/
Posted on Reply
#11
simlariver
Blo3der-Kuh said:
I have been waiting for an upgrade of my trusty old i5 2500k for quite while now and I was totally gonna buy an 2700X on release.

But there is not a single M-ATX motherboard out there! There are M-ITX boards from Asrock, Asus and Biostar, but no one cares to make an M-ATX one.

I have a nice, custom water cooled M-ATX case here, I am definitely not replacing that. Has anybody heard of a M-ATX X470 board in the making?

Edit: WCCF Tech has a nice overview of all X470 boards: https://wccftech.com/amd-x470-motherboard-roundup-asus-asrock-msi-aorus-biostar/
There is no m-atx X470 boards, that's pretty lame. What are people feeding into all these ATX pci-e slots ? Multi-gpu is declining, sound cards are not as cool as external DAC+AMP...
Now that "gaming aesthetics" is so popular, I find it weird that people would like to have a mostly empty mobo in full display just because the best chipset comes in ATX only.
Posted on Reply
#12
Manu_PT
M atx has not much interest now because ATX on the floor is more useful than Matx (easier to access usb ports etc) and on the table if people want a small rig they go itx with plenty offering now. From medium size to tiny
Posted on Reply
#13
Blo3der-Kuh
Manu_PT said:
ATX on the floor is more useful than Matx (easier to access usb ports etc)
Why would it be easier to access usb ports on an ATX board compared to a M-ATX board? The layout of the connectors is identical.

I see it like simlariver, most people do not need all those PCI express slots, but still want a full fledged board with all DDR slots, SATA connectors, etc. M-ATX is perfect in those cases.
Posted on Reply
#14
dirtyferret
Can AMD and Intel stop with all this "lets just add a one to our competitor's Mobo" crap. B350, B360, z370,x470. Its like watching two ten year olds fight.
Posted on Reply
#15
Imsochobo
simlariver said:
There is no m-atx X470 boards, that's pretty lame. What are people feeding into all these ATX pci-e slots ? Multi-gpu is declining, sound cards are not as cool as external DAC+AMP...
Now that "gaming aesthetics" is so popular, I find it weird that people would like to have a mostly empty mobo in full display just because the best chipset comes in ATX only.
It's not that internal dacs ain't as cool.

They're not as GOOD.

Vega 64, M.2 PCI-e card,10gbe ethernet is what I use my pci-e's for, I have microatx and still have one pci-e slot left.....
Posted on Reply
#16
trparky
btarunr said:
and compatible motherboards based on AMD X470 chipset.
Where are the B450 boards?
Posted on Reply
#17
springs113
If it wasn't for my RVE10 mobo...spent too much on it to replace it just yet...smh. Only problem with this and other releases...mobo prices are creeping into the HEDT price categories.
Posted on Reply
#18
okidna
Blo3der-Kuh said:
I have been waiting for an upgrade of my trusty old i5 2500k for quite while now and I was totally gonna buy an 2700X on release.

But there is not a single M-ATX motherboard out there! There are M-ITX boards from Asrock, Asus and Biostar, but no one cares to make an M-ATX one.

I have a nice, custom water cooled M-ATX case here, I am definitely not replacing that. Has anybody heard of a M-ATX X470 board in the making?

Edit: WCCF Tech has a nice overview of all X470 boards: https://wccftech.com/amd-x470-motherboard-roundup-asus-asrock-msi-aorus-biostar/
BIOSTAR usually release their M-ATX board later, I remember a couple weeks after I bought my board they released the X370GT3.
Posted on Reply
#19
Imsochobo
okidna said:
BIOSTAR usually release their M-ATX board later, I remember a couple weeks after I bought my board they released the X370GT3.
I'm hoping asrock launches something in the middle with 6 phase vrm, reasonable vrm cooling, no fancy shroud, extra's and proper layout with decent bios, good noise filtering on usb 5v and I'm all good.
Bought some major expensive boards and all the way to the cheapest crap and the middle of the pack is to Me always the best choice and never lets me down.
Posted on Reply
#20
prnsforum
DDR4 ram still high price, sorry for this time AMD
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment