Tuesday, July 3rd 2018

Core i7-8700K Overclocked to 7.34 GHz (3c/3t) on Z270 Chipset, Bags SuperPi Record

German professional overclocker Dancop got the Intel Core i7-8700K processor to work on an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Apex (Z270) motherboard, something that's not supposed to work. CPU-Z screenshots seem to confirm this unholy union between the 6-core "Coffee Lake" processor and a 200-series chipset motherboard, using a custom "0084" BIOS dated 11th June, 2018. Dancop then proceeded to overclock the chip to 7344 MHz using extreme cooling, and 2x 8 GB (dual-channel) DDR4-4000 memory. This bench-stable build was then used to bag a SuperPi 32M world-record.

There's a rather big catch, though. Half the cores on the i7-8700K were disabled, and so was HyperThreading (not that it's relevant to SuperPi). The 3-core/3-thread chip was still bench-stable at 7344 MHz, crunching SuperPi 32M in a world-record 7.609 seconds. The clock speed was achieved by dialing up the multiplier to 73.0x, with the base-clock probably untouched, at 100.61 MHz (with the +0.61 MHz probably being variance). Supporting this clock was a blistering core voltage of 1.984 V. A liquid-nitrogen evaporator was used to tame the CPU and motherboard VRM. Find the validation in the source link below.
Source: Dancop (HWBot)
Add your own comment

73 Comments on Core i7-8700K Overclocked to 7.34 GHz (3c/3t) on Z270 Chipset, Bags SuperPi Record

#1
phanbuey
is there a patch to get it working on z270?
Posted on Reply
#2
dj-electric
There's a good reason this is a SPi 3C\3T record, and not a Cinebench 6C\12T one on a Z270 motherboard.
Posted on Reply
#3
ShockG
dj-electric said:
There's a good reason this is a SPi 3C\3T record, and not a Cinebench 6C\12T one on a Z270 motherboard.
The reason is that's the benchmark he can run at that frequency and the one he chose to tune for. There isn't another CPU in existence that can give this performance or run at this clock speeds.
A gem of a CPU. He could have run 2 cores as well.
I can bet you nobody on this forum could get this result even at the same clocks, simply because it's more than just cpu clock.
It's plenty of DRAM tuning, which (from the dram reviews) is beyond not only the people doing the DRAM reviews but most certainly the audience (as gathered from what gets written here).
Either way, glad he is pushing the limits of what is possible with silicon.
Posted on Reply
#4
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Not legit if not fully operational.
Posted on Reply
#5
madness777
I'm just looking at that sick Memory overclock. CL12 at +4100MHz Dayum
Posted on Reply
#6
R0H1T
madness777 said:
I'm just looking at that sick Memory overclock. CL12 at +4100MHz Dayum
Needs more RGB! Also worth noting is the bench run on XP.
Posted on Reply
#7
dj-electric
ShockG said:
The reason is that's the benchmark he can run at that frequency and the one he chose to tune for. There isn't another CPU in existence that can give this performance or run at this clock speeds.
A gem of a CPU. He could have run 2 cores as well.
I can bet you nobody on this forum could get this result even at the same clocks, simply because it's more than just cpu clock.
It's plenty of DRAM tuning, which (from the dram reviews) is beyond not only the people doing the DRAM reviews but most certainly the audience (as gathered from what gets written here).
Either way, glad he is pushing the limits of what is possible with silicon.
Woosh... I wasn't talking about the settings, or memory timings, or even the current clock.
Posted on Reply
#8
Strontium_dog
Check the Super Pi again not 7.609 secs it's 4m 7.609 secs
Posted on Reply
#9
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
R0H1T said:
Needs more RGB! Also worth noting is the bench run on XP.
Yup anything to cheat the system...
Posted on Reply
#10
ExV6k
Is it running only 3C/3T for overclocking purposes, or is it a platform limit?
Posted on Reply
#11
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
ExV6k said:
Is it running only 3C/3T for overclocking purposes, or is it a platform limit?
They can't get it stable on all 6 cores/12 threads
Posted on Reply
#12
R0H1T
ExV6k said:
Is it running only 3C/3T for overclocking purposes, or is it a platform limit?
I'd also add that XP isn't taxing the system as much as Win 7/8/10 or Linux. A record is a record, though the system isn't practical.
Posted on Reply
#13
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
R0H1T said:
I'd also add that XP isn't taxing the system as much as Win 7/8/10 or Linux. A record is a record, though the system isn't practical.
Records should only be counted with current software used.
Posted on Reply
#14
NJM1564
Why? The point is to make it fast as possible. For what reason should they limit themselves? The point is speed and speed alone. So anything they can do to shave of some metaphorical poundage is fair game.
Posted on Reply
#15
E-curbi
I like my 8086K overclock much better, all 6cores 12threads on Noctua Air. Can run it all day long and get real work completed (FAST). :)
Posted on Reply
#16
Berfs1
It’s not a variance; about the 100.61MHz BCLK. I’m almost positive he set it to ~100.6, and the .01MHz extra could be variance.
Posted on Reply
#17
Liviu Cojocaru
...but why?! I get it... the record but then again this is kind of pointless, that's my opinion :)
Posted on Reply
#18
las
Pointless when cores/threads are disabled..
Posted on Reply
#19
Melvis
SuperPi score? :roll: How stupid!
Posted on Reply
#20
Toothless
Majority of records are pointless and useless. What's with so many of you guys being such downers when the point of records are "I did this or that better and/or faster using tools available."

Like, holy hell quit being so negative.
Posted on Reply
#21
Kaapstad
These type of benchmarks using ancient software and LN2 are total garbage for the real world.

Something like Cinebench 15 is far more relevant as it shows real compute power and the amount of work a modern multi core CPU can do.
Posted on Reply
#22
R0H1T
Toothless said:
Majority of records are pointless and useless. What's with so many of you guys being such downers when the point of records are "I did this or that better and/or faster using tools available."

Like, holy hell quit being so negative.
There are not pointless or useless, but mostly irrelevant for the vast majority of us, including enthusiasts.
Kaapstad said:
These type of benchmarks using ancient software and LN2 are total garbage for the real world.

Something like Cinebench 15 is far more relevant as it shows real compute power and the amount of work a modern multi core CPU can do.
Not anymore than (other) Guinness world records.
Posted on Reply
#23
HTC
R0H1T said:
I'd also add that XP isn't taxing the system as much as Win 7/8/10 or Linux. A record is a record, though the system isn't practical.
Think of this as a dragster race: it's a record, yes, but totally not for "public" roads.

R0H1T said:
There are not pointless or useless, but mostly irrelevant for the vast majority of us, including enthusiasts.
Not anymore than (other) Guinness world records.
Agreed.
Posted on Reply
#24
bug
R0H1T said:
I'd also add that XP isn't taxing the system as much as Win 7/8/10 or Linux. A record is a record, though the system isn't practical.
Uhhh... sure? I have Debian running on a first-gen RaspberryPi right in front of me.
Posted on Reply
#25
R0H1T
bug said:
Uhhh... sure? I have Debian running on a first-gen RaspberryPi right in front of me.
I guess I should specify certain Linux distros, although you can also run XP in safe mode & it'd consume even less resources.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment