Monday, September 3rd 2018

Intel Core i7-9700K Put Through Geekbench on a Z370 Motherboard

The Core i7-9700K will be Intel's second fastest 9th generation Core LGA1151 processor. The 8-core/8-thread chip is equipped with 12 MB of shared L3 cache, and clocked at 3.60 GHz, with 4.90 GHz maximum Turbo Boost. It's no secret that these chips will be supported on just about any Intel 300-series chipset motherboard provided you have a BIOS update; although Intel prefers you use one of its upcoming Z390 chipset boards for overclocking its 8-core chips. That said, there are plenty of Z370 chipset boards with fairly strong CPU VRM setups. Someone with access to the i7-9700K paired it with an Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming 2.0 motherboard, and put it through Geekbench.

The Core i7-9700K yielded a single-core score of 6,297 points, which is marginally higher than that of a stock Core i7-8700K (3.70 GHz to 4.70 GHz), owing to a higher boost frequency. The i7-8700K averages 6,000 ±100 points in this test. Multi-threaded performance is where the i7-9700K comes alive, scoring 30,152 points, which is about 12 percent higher than the 27,000 ±500 points the i7-8700K scores; and about 4-5% higher than the 28,000 ±1,000 points the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X manages in this test. The lack of HyperThreading seems to be more than compensated by the two extra cores the i7-9700K has over its predecessor. The i9-9900K maxes out the silicon with HyperThreading and 16 MB L3 cache, which could enable Intel to target a higher price-point.
Source: GeekBench Database
Add your own comment

21 Comments on Intel Core i7-9700K Put Through Geekbench on a Z370 Motherboard

#1
kastriot
Great, now put 199$ for msrp :)
Posted on Reply
#2
stimpy88
What a load of crap, I simply cannot wait for Intel to run out of lakes...

Intel should not be allowed to sell "new" CPUs with previously known serious security exploits which require software patching and the subsequent loss of performance which comes with it.
Posted on Reply
#3
dj-electric
9700K seems like the Alpha and Omega gaming CPU.
Posted on Reply
#4
chaosmassive
"kastriot said:
Great, now put 199$ for msrp :)
heh, you wish !
Posted on Reply
#5
silentbogo
"btarunr said:
The Core i7-9700K yielded a single-core score of 6,297 points, which is marginally higher than that of a stock Core i7-8700K (3.70 GHz to 4.70 GHz), owing to a higher boost frequency. The i7-8700K averages 6,000 ±100 points in this test. Multi-threaded performance is where the i7-9700K comes alive, scoring 30,152 points, which is about 12 percent higher than the 27,000 ±500 points the i7-8700K scores;
But once you get into details, it gets interesting....
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/9688726?baseline=9677297

Both have nearly identical CPU performance in most tasks. The only thing that 9th gen i7 does better, is memory-intensive tasks (which seems even more prominent if you compare it to older and much lower 8700K results). Very convenient, if you look at DDR4 clocks.

But that's assuming it's stock CPU clocks for both, cause Geekbench is very-very bad at registering CPU speeds, unless you do a fixed max multiplier.
Posted on Reply
#6
Midland Dog
deadly, looks alright, i wouldn't have called her an i7 but as long as it beats the 8700k its fine, gaming should go alright considering its running 8 physical threads
Posted on Reply
#7
champsilva
"stimpy88 said:
What a load of crap, I simply cannot wait for Intel to run out of lakes...

Intel should not be allowed to sell "new" CPUs with previously known serious security exploits which require software patching and the subsequent loss of performance which comes with it.
Don't know if you know but whiskey lake had security flaws fixed in Silicon based.
Posted on Reply
#8
biffzinker
"champsilva said:
Don't know if you know but whiskey lake had security flaws fixed in Silicon based.
A couple of hardware fixes were implemented.
Posted on Reply
#9
E-curbi
Will be interesting to see the Cinebench ST scores for both the 9700K and 9900K, and how they compare to the 8086K/8700K. :)
Posted on Reply
#10
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
"E-curbi said:
Will be interesting to see the Cinebench ST scores for both the 9700K and 9900K, and how they compare to the 8086K/8700K. :)
9900K is 100 MHz faster than 9700K, so Cinebench1T will be like +100 points. Both could match 8086K at Cinebench 1T.
Posted on Reply
#11
John Naylor
With an office full of AutoCAD Workstations ... aka gaming boxes after 5 pm ... still waiting for something that manages to warm up that 4th core.
Posted on Reply
#12
E-curbi
"btarunr said:
9900K is 100 MHz faster than 9700K, so Cinebench1T will be like +100 points. Both could match 8086K at Cinebench 1T.
That's so true. Wonder how high they will both clock?

Higher clocks usually give higher Cine ST scores.

They'll probably both beat the 8700K/8086K in Cinebench Multithread (MT) :)
Posted on Reply
#13
Arjai
Yawn, another overprice CPU. It's an Epeener part. Cinebench means nothing to me, nor to the majority of people here on TPU. Don't even know why I bothered to comment, on this. I must be bored. I should probably do some laundry, instead of wasting time with this.

:rolleyes::lovetpu:
Posted on Reply
#14
gamerman
well, great

so, soon we see how 'good' ryzen 2700x 8-core cpu is..
i see amny useless hypeting it,likealways all amd product.. dunno why ppl want support it,amd not deserve it,lausy hardware coming every year.

so soon we seen as i say real battle intel 8-core and amd 8-core cpu battle:


intel 9700k/9900k 8 core VS amd ryzen 2700/2700x 8-core... qand winner is...??

i think im not be terrible wisdom if i say that ryzen 2700 series get crushed punch of nose and going kees..
no more handicap help for amd...its weird ...amd always want verify and competition tey product cpu and gpu for against lower level product...and then hypeting and hurray it...lol
Posted on Reply
#15
svan71
It must be tearing Intel up inside now they couldn't require a new version 3 1151 socket and board. Isnt it amazing what a little competion does for Intels cpu compatibility. Still if you want a new cpu with old problems ( meltdown, specter ) be my guest.

"i think im not be terrible wisdom if i say that ryzen 2700 series get crushed punch of nose and going kees..
no more handicap help for amd...its weird ...amd always want verify and competition tey product cpu and gpu for against lower level product...and then hypeting and hurray it...lol[/quote]"

9th gen vs 1.5 Gen my friend and AMD is gaining fast.
Posted on Reply
#16
dj-electric
The hardware community is starting to absolutely lose its damn mind.

Posted on Reply
#17
coonbro
"stimpy88 said:
What a load of crap, I simply cannot wait for Intel to run out of lakes...

Intel should not be allowed to sell "new" CPUs with previously known serious security exploits which require software patching and the subsequent loss of performance which comes with it.
.lol..... if they just use all the ones just in Minnesota that's like 10,000 more names to put up with for years to come ..lol...

''
serious security exploits ''

I began to now think they invent them up to help insure you keep upgrading [faster] not hang on to your old still good working stuff ... that just cost them money ..lol... how many guys you see in forums get them ( meltdown, specter ) that cleaned there clocks and forced them to rebuild or what ever ? I don't recall any . scare tactic [opinion]
Posted on Reply
#18
oxidized
"8/8 is a downgrade"

LMAO, just LMAO.
Posted on Reply
#19
champsilva
"biffzinker said:
A couple of hardware fixes were implemented.

I think it's better than nothing. =p
Posted on Reply
#20
Caring1
"oxidized said:
"8/8 is a downgrade"

LMAO, just LMAO.
*cough* 10 cores/ 10 threads currently crunching here |*cough*
Posted on Reply
#21
FMinus
"gamerman said:
well, great

so, soon we see how 'good' ryzen 2700x 8-core cpu is..
i see amny useless hypeting it,likealways all amd product.. dunno why ppl want support it,amd not deserve it,lausy hardware coming every year.

so soon we seen as i say real battle intel 8-core and amd 8-core cpu battle:


intel 9700k/9900k 8 core VS amd ryzen 2700/2700x 8-core... qand winner is...??

i think im not be terrible wisdom if i say that ryzen 2700 series get crushed punch of nose and going kees..
no more handicap help for amd...its weird ...amd always want verify and competition tey product cpu and gpu for against lower level product...and then hypeting and hurray it...lol
It all depends on the pricing, the 2700x is $330, the 8700k is already $360, so likely the 9700K might end up being ~$400-420 and the 9900K ~$460-500+, and for that price I rather get a 12 core Threadripper, otherwise the $330 2700x with a motherboard. But that's all speculation, but I don't see Intel even trying to price this sensibly.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment