Sunday, November 26th 2017

14nm 6th Time Over: Intel Readies 10-core "Comet Lake" Die to Preempt "Zen 2" AM4

If Intel's now-defunct "tick-tock" product development cadence held its ground, the 14 nm silicon fabrication node should have seen just two micro-architectures, "Broadwell" and "Skylake," with "Broadwell" being an incrementally improved optical shrink of 22 nm "Haswell," and "Skylake" being a newer micro-architecture built on a then more matured 14 nm node. Intel's silicon fabrication node advancement went off the rails in 2015-16, and 14 nm would go on to be the base for three more "generations," including the 7th generation "Kaby Lake," the 8th generation "Coffee Lake," and 9th generation "Coffee Lake Refresh." The latter two saw Intel increase core-counts after AMD broke its slumber. It turns out that Intel won't let the 8-core "Coffee Lake Refresh" die pull the weight of Intel's competitiveness and prestige through 2019, and is planning yet another stopgap, codenamed "Comet Lake."

Intel's next silicon fabrication node, 10 nm, takes off only toward the end of 2019, and AMD is expected to launch its 7 nm "Zen 2" architecture much sooner than that (debuts in December 2018). Intel probably fears AMD could launch client-segment "Zen 2" processors before Intel's first 10 nm client-segment products, to cash in on its competitive edge. Intel is looking to blunt that with "Comet Lake." Designed for the LGA115x mainstream-desktop platform, "Comet Lake" is a 10-core processor die built on 14 nm, and could be the foundation of the 10th generation Core processor family. It's unlikely that the underlying core design is changed from "Skylake" (circa 2016). It could retain the same cache hierarchy, with 256 KB per core L2 cache, and 20 MB shared L3 cache. All is not rosy in the AMD camp. The first AMD 7 nm processors will target the enterprise segment and not client, and CEO Lisa Su in her quarterly financial results calls has been evasive about when the first 7 nm client-segment products could come out. There was some chatter in September of a "Zen+" based 10-core socket AM4 product leading up to them.
Source: HotHardware
Add your own comment

123 Comments on 14nm 6th Time Over: Intel Readies 10-core "Comet Lake" Die to Preempt "Zen 2" AM4

#1
Upgrayedd
Now just make a K version with no iGPU.. *keeps dreaming*
Posted on Reply
#2
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Trying to stop the inevitable...
Posted on Reply
#3
Manu_PT
Maybe another cpu that gets 90 degrees on a 100€ AIO and costs 600€. Is starting to get boring.

I just hope AMD can finally improve IPC/clocks and gaming performance (yes I know someone will jump and say that is only a 5% difference when is not but whatever) and then Intel is officially done unless they start selling products with decent pricing. 500€ for a 8 core no HT cpu in 2018 is unacceptable.

Reason why Im still with Intel is because I use 240hz monitor and cant even look back to 144hz. Ryzen could not sustain those 160-200 fps on most games. But if Zen2 can do it I will jump to 8 core finally.

This might seem dumb for you, but as a curiosity, when I tell my mom that my "dream" cpu costs 500€ (she knows I love computers), she doesnt believe it. Is completly outrageous. I think some ppl dont even think about what 500€ are worth. Same goes for those dudes pumping 1300€ for a video card to play videogames. Mental. Im on this hardware stuff for almos 2 decades and I never seen high end pc components being so premium. I have money to buy those products but mentally I would never accept paying that kind of cash. Makes no sense.

And even if you want a solid gpu like 1070 or 1070ti you spend 400€-500€ and already need to lower a lot of details at 1080p on recent games like shadow of the tomb raider or black ops4.
Posted on Reply
#4
I No
Manu_PT said:
Maybe another cpu that gets 90 degrees on a 100€ AIO and costs 600€. Is starting to get boring.

I just hope AMD can finally improve IPC/clocks and gaming performance (yes I know someone will jump and say that is only a 5% difference when is not but whatever) and then Intel is officially done unless they start selling products with decent pricing. 500€ for a 8 core no HT cpu in 2018 is unacceptable.

Reason why Im still with Intel is because I use 240hz monitor and cant even look back to 144hz. Ryzen could not sustain those 160-200 fps on most games. But if Zen2 can do it I will jump to 8 core finally.

This might seem dumb for you, but as a curiosity, when I tell my mom that my "dream" cpu costs 500€ (she knows I love computers), she doesnt believe it. Is completly outrageous. I think some ppl dont even think about what 500€ are worth. Same goes for those dudes pumping 1300€ for a video card to play videogames. Mental. Im on this hardware stuff for almos 2 decades and I never seen high end pc components being so premium. I have money to buy those products but mentally I would never accept paying that kind of cash. Makes no sense.
While Intel's prices are a joke nowadays.... but I keep wondering what's with all the whining about GPU prices?
Posted on Reply
#5
Assimilator
This horse isn't dead, it's long turned to dust; Intel are now beating the ground where the horse used to be, and the hole they've managed to dig is quite impressive.
Posted on Reply
#6
randomUser
Upgrayedd said:
Now just make a K version with no iGPU.. *keeps dreaming*
What's wrong with iGPU?

The only reason why i am not buying 2700x is the lack of iGPU.
Posted on Reply
#7
I No
Assimilator said:
This horse isn't dead, it's long turned to dust; Intel are now beating the ground where the horse used to be, and the hole they've managed to dig is quite impressive.
At this point Intel is banking on their best used tactic, waiting for AMD to shoot themselves in the foot, they have nothing, unless they drop the prices like massive, which let's be serious, it won't happen.
Posted on Reply
#8
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Posted on Reply
#9
GoldenX
Ok, this is ridiculous. The current 9900k already reaches over 90°.
Stop releasing overheating Skylakes for f*** sake!
Posted on Reply
#10
Object55
Just make it fit z390 and I won't even be mad that I got 9700k for a time being and skipped this whole 9900k bubble.
Posted on Reply
#11
csgabe
GoldenX said:
Ok, this is ridiculous. The current 9900k already reaches over 90°.
Stop releasing overheating Skylakes for f*** sake!
It's a comet in a lake, so you need water cooling..
Posted on Reply
#12
M2B
Manu_PT said:
Maybe another cpu that gets 90 degrees on a 100€ AIO and costs 600€. Is starting to get boring.

I just hope AMD can finally improve IPC/clocks and gaming performance (yes I know someone will jump and say that is only a 5% difference when is not but whatever) and then Intel is officially done unless they start selling products with decent pricing. 500€ for a 8 core no HT cpu in 2018 is unacceptable.

Reason why Im still with Intel is because I use 240hz monitor and cant even look back to 144hz. Ryzen could not sustain those 160-200 fps on most games. But if Zen2 can do it I will jump to 8 core finally.

This might seem dumb for you, but as a curiosity, when I tell my mom that my "dream" cpu costs 500€ (she knows I love computers), she doesnt believe it. Is completly outrageous. I think some ppl dont even think about what 500€ are worth. Same goes for those dudes pumping 1300€ for a video card to play videogames. Mental. Im on this hardware stuff for almos 2 decades and I never seen high end pc components being so premium. I have money to buy those products but mentally I would never accept paying that kind of cash. Makes no sense.

And even if you want a solid gpu like 1070 or 1070ti you spend 400€-500€ and already need to lower a lot of details at 1080p on recent games like shadow of the tomb raider or black ops4.
Oh look, oh look, this guy can't even look back to 144Hz but can enjoy games at Sub-30FPS on consoles. Bad liar.
Posted on Reply
#13
Vayra86
Manu_PT said:
Maybe another cpu that gets 90 degrees on a 100€ AIO and costs 600€. Is starting to get boring.

I just hope AMD can finally improve IPC/clocks and gaming performance (yes I know someone will jump and say that is only a 5% difference when is not but whatever) and then Intel is officially done unless they start selling products with decent pricing. 500€ for a 8 core no HT cpu in 2018 is unacceptable.

Reason why Im still with Intel is because I use 240hz monitor and cant even look back to 144hz. Ryzen could not sustain those 160-200 fps on most games. But if Zen2 can do it I will jump to 8 core finally.

This might seem dumb for you, but as a curiosity, when I tell my mom that my "dream" cpu costs 500€ (she knows I love computers), she doesnt believe it. Is completly outrageous. I think some ppl dont even think about what 500€ are worth. Same goes for those dudes pumping 1300€ for a video card to play videogames. Mental. Im on this hardware stuff for almos 2 decades and I never seen high end pc components being so premium. I have money to buy those products but mentally I would never accept paying that kind of cash. Makes no sense.

And even if you want a solid gpu like 1070 or 1070ti you spend 400€-500€ and already need to lower a lot of details at 1080p on recent games like shadow of the tomb raider or black ops4.
News flash, that 500 dollar CPU was never a requirement to play games. Not even for your magical 240hz - that is just a surrealistic FPS target consisting of 40% marketing and 60% placebo that you've fallen for. Evidence in the fact 'you can't look back to 144hz'... its sad and funny all at the same time. You have no idea. Just because a number's higher doesn't mean it means anything. Its the same as with 4K monitors and how half the gamurs play on them at a downscaled 1080p because 'woopsie, games do really get tougher on my GPU over time'. There is always going to be something to blow insane amounts of money on, with questionable benefits. Wake up... You can still easily game on a reasonable budget.
Posted on Reply
#14
zelnep
next up: the all "new" Z395 with active fan cooled VRMs, bundled up with 1000w psu and 280mm AIO and fire extinguisher
Posted on Reply
#15
Midland Dog
Assimilator said:
This horse isn't dead, it's long turned to dust; Intel are now beating the ground where the horse used to be, and the hole they've managed to dig is quite impressive.
lol, gunna need another excavator to get them out of this (please tell me someone got the reference)
Posted on Reply
#16
[XC] Oj101
Midland Dog said:
lol, gunna need another excavator to get them out of this (please tell me someone got the reference)
You need an excavator to get something out that's been piledriven into the ground.
Posted on Reply
#17
Vayra86
Assimilator said:
This horse isn't dead, it's long turned to dust; Intel are now beating the ground where the horse used to be, and the hole they've managed to dig is quite impressive.
Posted on Reply
#18
Object55
So if 9900k wasn't hot enough may I recommend "9590" for the 10 core model. Seems suitable for chip that's made hot squeezing every last bit of performance out of the current generation.

You can even reuse AMD's marketing with few minor changes.

Posted on Reply
#19
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
Moore's Law is dead. Be afraid, be very afraid.

IBM went fabless, AMD went fabless, Intel has floated the idea of going fabless, and there's maybe only two companies that are going to reach a smaller lithograph at...not very many fabs. If there isn't a revolution in process technology soon, we're careening towards the end of the Digital Age.
Posted on Reply
#20
TheLostSwede
Pre-empt? Ha! This thing won't be out until 2020...

FordGT90Concept said:
Moore's Law is dead. Be afraid, be very afraid.

IBM went fabless, AMD went fabless, Intel has floated the idea of going fabless, and there's maybe only two companies that are going to reach a smaller lithograph at...not very many fabs. If there isn't a revolution in process technology soon, we're careening towards the end of the Digital Age.
Actually, there is, or rather, a possible option was at least just announced - https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3580376
It's all about gate-free monolayer WSe2 pn diodes now...
Posted on Reply
#21
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
I'll believe it when it is mass produced. There's been a lot of transistor breakthroughs (e.g. 1 THz transistor) but the transistors in commercial products have changed little since inception decades ago. The 3D gate was probably the biggest deviation but everyone and their dog knew silicon's days as a substrate are numbered.
Posted on Reply
#22
GorbazTheDragon
Object55 said:
So if 9900k wasn't hot enough may I recommend "9590" for the 10 core model. Seems suitable for chip that's made hot squeezing every last bit of performance out of the current generation.

You can even reuse AMD's marketing with few minor changes.
Intel is in basically exactly the same situation AMD was back then... Maybe skylake isn't as shit as Piledriver was, but still... not exactly surprising they are going down almost exactly the same route...
Posted on Reply
#23
m4dn355
How come intel's lake never dry up?!

Posted on Reply
#24
bug
The problem I see here is these don't work on current motherboards. And if you buy one of these, you know Ice Lake is (eventually) coming and will require yet another motherboard. The CPUs themselves are fine. Everything around them is not, however.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment