Monday, December 4th 2017

Epic Games Store to Launch Soon, Developers to Receive 88% of Revenue

With more and more companies creating their very own digital storefronts in the PC gaming space, it was only a matter of time until Epic Games threw their hat into the ring. With an announcement posted today, by Tim Sweeney the Epic Games store is now officially a reality. The new digital storefront will be made available for PC and Mac to start with, while other platforms will be added throughout 2019. In regards to games available on the platform, Epic will offer Fortnite alongside a set of hand-curated titles at launch. What those games might be is currently unknown.

Delivering a shot across the bow at Steam and their 30% revenue cut, Epic's game store will instead only take 12%, resulting in developers earning 88% of sales revenue. If they are using Unreal Engine the 5% engine royalty will be waived by Epic and instead is factored into their original 12% take. Putting that into perspective, an Unreal Engine based game released on Steam currently gives developers only 65% of the revenue with Steam earning 30% and Epic 5% due to engine royalties. Going from 65% to 88% is a significant increase in earnings, and it doesn't matter what game engine a developer uses, the revenue split will remain the same. This should leave developers quite happy since they are not limited by game engine choice and Epic benefits from a vastly increased selection of titles they can offer in their digital store.
Epic looks to give developers far more freedom with their digital platform as well. Offering access to their 10,000 strong Epic Games Support-A-Creator program that is designed to get a developer's games into the hands of YouTube content creators, Twitch streamers, etc. They even go so far as to cover the first 5% of creator revenue-sharing costs for the first 24 months. Better yet while its an option it is not mandatory, thus giving developers options that best suit their needs without forcing a one-size fits all approach. Developers are also given complete control over their game pages and news feeds, with no other advertisements or marketing of competing titles.

Overall it appears Epic is ready to take a slice of the digital pie and has prepared for some time to do just that. The only real problem will be converting users away from Steam. While EA's Origin platform has had some success, it has also been around for seven years at this point. Meanwhile, Ubisoft has a weird amalgamation of Steam and Uplay, that is somewhat separate from their stand-alone Uplay store which when you consider the issues associated with it, comes off as being a complete mess. Therefore while it seems the Epic Games store is primed for success, it's all about gaining users, and while Fortnite is a phenomenon, it remains to be seen if it will be enough to convert a legion of followers into using the Epic Games store instead of Steam. Source: Epic Games
Add your own comment

47 Comments on Epic Games Store to Launch Soon, Developers to Receive 88% of Revenue

#1
Octopuss
I have no idea what Epic is, and I sure as hell am not interested in yet another platform.
They are at least ten years too late.
Posted on Reply
#2
StrayKAT
Octopuss said:
I have no idea what Epic is, and I sure as hell am not interested in yet another platform.
They are at least ten years too late.
You're kidding, right? They've been around for decades.. and pretty much drive 50% of game engines out there (Unreal). Not to mention currently makes the biggest game in the world (Fortnite).
Posted on Reply
#3
TheOne
Maybe Valve can release Half-Life 3 on it, maybe use Unreal.
Posted on Reply
#4
AsRock
TPU addict
TheOne said:
Maybe Valve can release Half-Life 3 on it, maybe use Unreal.
OMG NO!
Posted on Reply
#5
dj-electric
Octopuss said:
I have no idea what Epic is, and I sure as hell am not interested in yet another platform.
Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal Tournament, Gears of War, Fortnite. Unreal Engine
C'mon dude.

And steam needs competition. This move is blessed
Posted on Reply
#6
Fx
I am certainly not interested in another store, but I really like their approach so overall I think this is a good thing. Anything that puts pressure on competitors is where we (consumers) benefit in the long run.
Posted on Reply
#7
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
crazyeyesreaper said:
Ubisoft has a weird amalgamation of Steam and Uplay, that is somewhat separate from their stand-alone Uplay store which when you consider the issues associated with it, comes off as being a complete mess.
Uplay is the only platform that works flawlessly for me all the time. It’s quick, smooth, downloads come faster, and also has a nice crop of achievements for those that need them.

From what I’ve seen over the years, the Uplay haters are those trying to run it through Steam. That interface just adds a whole layer that doesn’t need to be there.

Octopuss said:
I have no idea what Epic is, and I sure as hell am not interested in yet another platform.
They are at least ten years too late.
They are a big game company and game engine creator.
Posted on Reply
#8
crazyeyesreaper
Chief Broken Rig
rtwjunkie said:
Uplay is the only platform that works flawlessly for me all the time. It’s quick, smooth, downloads come faster, and also has a nice crop of achievements for those that need them.

From what I’ve seen over the years, the Uplay haters are those trying to run it through Steam. That interface just adds a whole layer that doesn’t need to be there.


They are a big game company and game engine creator.
The problem is for a long time if you bought DLC for a Ubisoft title in Uplay directly you couldn't always redeem it with the Steam version and vice versa. I have had to contact there support to deal with this issue a few times already. Therefore weird amalgamation. It should just work period. Even if the steam with uplay is cumbersome. Its still treated in some ways as a separate entity at least for me in the past.
Posted on Reply
#9
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
crazyeyesreaper said:
The problem is for a long time if you bought DLC for a Ubisoft title in Uplay directly you couldn't always redeem it with the Steam version and vice versa. I have had to contact there support to deal with this issue a few times already. Therefore weird amalgamation. It should just work period. Even if the steam with uplay is cumbersome. Its still treated in some ways as a separate entity at least for me in the past.
Meh, just use Uplay for Ubisoft games. Problem solved. Used like that, you see it’s better made than Steam (and both have Origin beat by a mile, LOL).
Posted on Reply
#10
Ravenas
Given they are so late to the party, what choice do they have but to attempt to attract developers to their platform?
Posted on Reply
#11
StrayKAT
rtwjunkie said:
Meh, just use Uplay for Ubisoft games. Problem solved. Used like that, you see it’s better made than Steam (and both have Origin beat by a mile, LOL).
Seems like Steam needs a revamp or something (the regular version. Not the fullscreen mode). But I don't know how much it'd interrupt the service.
Posted on Reply
#12
theoneandonlymrk
Oh great , i gots five f#@@n stores already and game's still aint cheaper.
Posted on Reply
#13
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Still like my games on a disk, no relying on "cloud" storage.
Posted on Reply
#14
theoneandonlymrk
eidairaman1 said:
Still like my games on a disk, no relying on "cloud" storage.
Probably wise in the long term but the convenience , and to think i hated steam , now I wish there was one , just one again for convenience:)
Posted on Reply
#15
NC37
As long as Epic isn't a dick about it like EA did with Origin and pulled all their games from Steam...
Or M$ being a dick and doing the same thing with the Windows store...
Or...

Guess this is a trend with these store fronts. Frankly as far as I'm concerned I just buy less of their games. Maybe load up Origin once a year or so now. Never once bought through Windows store. Did try it via the Sea of Thieves closed beta. Hated it and the SoT game was the biggest let down. Was excited till I tried it...game was practically a tech demo.
Posted on Reply
#16
TheLostSwede
Anyone else having issues with the Epic launcher? As in, I can't exit it. Doesn't matter if I right click the tray icon and try to exit, or open up the launcher and try to exit that way. It's a big hot turd imho when simple things like that doesn't even work.
Posted on Reply
#17
Live OR Die
Octopuss said:
I have no idea what Epic is, and I sure as hell am not interested in yet another platform.
They are at least ten years too late.
Great for devs but not so great for people buying because its another platform, but im a dev so also my game is on unreal so ill be going with epic rather than steam.
Posted on Reply
#18
Octopuss
StrayKAT said:
You're kidding, right? They've been around for decades.. and pretty much drive 50% of game engines out there (Unreal). Not to mention currently makes the biggest game in the world (Fortnite).
Why would I?
I simply don't know and I don't care. I play games, I don't give a rat's ass about programming and related stuff. Unreal was another shooting game after Quake or something? No surprise I have no idea. I don't play that stuff.

I also have no idea what Fortnite is. Must be completely different genre from the stuff I am typically interested in.
Posted on Reply
#19
dj-electric
Octopuss said:
Why would I?
I simply don't know and I don't care. I play games, I don't give a rat's ass about programming and related stuff. Unreal was another shooting game after Quake or something? No surprise I have no idea. I don't play that stuff.

I also have no idea what Fortnite is. Must be completely different genre from the stuff I am typically interested in.
Than maybe you should perform a quick google search before embarrassing yourself online?
Here are my suggestions:
* Unreal Tournament's influence on PC gaming history
* Why having 1 big digital store is a bad thing?
* How Unreal Engine's business model is effecting and opening up the game development industry
* The most popular game right now

Thank me later, or never. You don't seem to be of the thankful kind.
Posted on Reply
#20
Live OR Die
Octopuss said:
Why would I?
I simply don't know and I don't care. I play games, I don't give a rat's ass about programming and related stuff. Unreal was another shooting game after Quake or something? No surprise I have no idea. I don't play that stuff.

I also have no idea what Fortnite is. Must be completely different genre from the stuff I am typically interested in.
Your living under a rock so many games use the unreal engine these days, everyone knows Bioshock if you don't maybe your heads full of rocks.
Posted on Reply
#21
Octopuss
dj-electric said:
Than maybe you should perform a quick google search before embarrassing yourself online?
Here are my suggestions:
* Unreal Tournament's influence on PC gaming history
* Why having 1 big digital store is a bad thing?
* How Unreal Engine's business model is effecting and opening up the game development industry
* The most popular game right now

Thank me later, or never. You don't seem to be of the thankful kind.
Embarassing? What? :roll: That's hillarious.
All of your points are useless because I don't give a crap. Which part of that you don't understand?
Why would I even think about thanking you for something I don't care about and didn't ask for?
Posted on Reply
#22
StrayKAT
Octopuss said:
Why would I?
I simply don't know and I don't care. I play games, I don't give a rat's ass about programming and related stuff. Unreal was another shooting game after Quake or something? No surprise I have no idea. I don't play that stuff.

I also have no idea what Fortnite is. Must be completely different genre from the stuff I am typically interested in.
It's just strange is all. I don't hold it against you. It's just that Epic is freaking gigantic. It's like saying you don't know Blizzard or Nintendo.
Posted on Reply
#23
Octopuss
StrayKAT said:
It's just strange is all. I don't hold it against you. It's just that Epic is freaking gigantic. It's like saying you don't know Blizzard or Nintendo.
That's fine, but some people simply play completely different stuff and simply don't even know names of engines (I mean, I don't follow game development and I don't really care what runs the game I play, so why should I care?). I find it surprising that most people cannot understand that :p
Oh, yea, I heard about Blizzard. They run WoW, right? That's all I know.

Live OR Die said:
Your living under a rock so many games use the unreal engine these days, everyone know Bioshock if you don't maybe your heads full of rocks.
It's spelled "you're", there's supposed to be a comma after "rock", and "heads" should be "head's".
Next time when you try to mock/insult someone, at least do it with proper punctuation so you don't look like a stupid.

I'm done here.
Posted on Reply
#24
Live OR Die
Octopuss said:
It's spelled "you're", there's supposed to be a comma after "rock", and "heads" should be "head's".
Next time when you try to mock/insult someone, at least do it with proper punctuation so you don't look like a stupid.

I'm done here.
Why you think i would bother wasting my time using gramma on a rock head beats me LMAO.
Posted on Reply
#25
dj-electric
Octopuss said:
All of your points are useless because I don't give a crap.
If you don't give a crap than please don't comment on a matter you have 0 knowledge about. Its better to stay silent and do a quick google search than post an incredibly uninformed comment such is yours at the start of this thread. "uhhh duhhh i don't want another store, who are those Epic people hurrr durrrr", "I don't care about anything so your arguments are invalid durrrr".

A quick "Oh, thanks. Didn't know that" Would solve all those issues.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment