Monday, April 22nd 2019

Latest Windows 10 Update Causes Machines with CSVs to Freeze or Lock Up

The April 2019 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 released this "patch Tuesday" (9th April), bearing knowledgebase code KB4493509, is discovered to cause machines with cluster shared volumes (CSVs) to become unresponsive upon restart after installing the update. Installation of cumulative updates forces system restart as Windows shuts down certain services and drivers to a bare-minimum state so it could overwrite system files. This latest issue of system freezing is caused on machines with incompatible security software, such as ArcaBit, however, users over at Ten Forums observed Avira Antivir to show the same incompatibility. Microsoft has since listed this incompatibility as a Known Issue in the description page of KB4493509. All versions of Windows 10 will soon be able to defer updates, letting users prevent buggy updates from being automatically installed. Currently only Windows 10 Pro and Workstation provide this feature.
Source: Forbes
Add your own comment

28 Comments on Latest Windows 10 Update Causes Machines with CSVs to Freeze or Lock Up

#1
64K
Once again MS doesn't test an update before forcing it on users. They really, really need to get their shit together. They have hundreds of millions of customers that are affected by an update and they can't be bothered to test an update?
Posted on Reply
#2
tvamos
So it was sneaky update, as I use Avira AV and had this issue. Pc starts and boots as usual, but then start-up of programs takes 5-10 minutes for no obvious reason. Later it's all good, AV also working properly.
Posted on Reply
#3
ShurikN
tvamos said:
So it was sneaky update, as I use Avira AV and had this issue. Pc starts and boots as usual, but then start-up of programs takes 5-10 minutes for no obvious reason. Later it's all good, AV also working properly.
Yup can confirm, have Avira as well. As soon as you uninstall the update, everything goes back to normal. For me it was like 3 minutes of non-responsiveness.
Posted on Reply
#4
s3thra
Oh wow, another bad update. I had to deal with about 150 Windows 7 machines not booting up in my workplace a couple of weeks ago, all of which updated and conflicted with Sophos Antivirus. I (and a couple of other techs) had to manually force each machine into safe mode to fix the issue. Not fun when you're dealing with many remote sites! That was 2 and a half days we'll never get back.

We're definitely going back to screening our updates so this kind of thing doesn't happen again. The compromise is to stay a little bit behind on the update schedule, with a little bit of administrative overhead to test things. It's worth it if an update doesn't sneak through and cripple our clients like this again. Clearly MS isn't testing their updates as thoroughly as we'd all like them to, so it's up to us unfortunately.

Thank you @btarunr for reporting this issue.
Posted on Reply
#5
ironcerealbox
s3thra said:
Oh wow, another bad update. I had to deal with about 150 Windows 7 machines not booting up in my workplace a couple of weeks ago, all of which updated and conflicted with Sophos Antivirus. I (and a couple of other techs) had to manually force each machine into safe mode to fix the issue. Not fun when you're dealing with many remote sites! That was 2 and a half days we'll never get back.

We're definitely going back to screening our updates so this kind of thing doesn't happen again. The compromise is to stay a little bit behind on the update schedule, with a little bit of administrative overhead to test things. It's worth it if an update doesn't sneak through and cripple our clients like this again. Clearly MS isn't testing their updates as thoroughly as we'd all like them to, so it's up to us unfortunately.

Thank you @btarunr for reporting this issue.
At the academic institution I work for, we've had over 1000 Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs go berserk. Thank gawd I got my institution's IT department to let me somewhat control the PCs of my lab by looking the other way. The entire campus's admin, classroom, instructor office, and most of the lab PCs went down with a few updates (most notably KB4493472 and KB4498xxx, can't recall last few digits). My lab is fine as I run a custom Deep Freeze setup on all my Windows 7 Enterprise x86 student computers (I get control of which updates get through). The admin stations are fine as I keep an eye on those 5 PCs and those run Windows 10 Pro (the rest of the campus runs 7 Enterprise x86 or 10 Enterprise x86 or x64). I have the only lab where every PC is fine. It's been interesting watching the rest of the campus panic.

Clearly M$ is not vetting their updates and patches. I sense a lack of quality software engineers over at M$. Where'd they all go? Oh, that's right, they let them go when they don't want to pay them more because of their experience. Experienced software or hardware teams are invaluable to any tech company. Hell, experienced employees anywhere for that matter.

But, what do I know? I'm a mathematician. /facepalm
Posted on Reply
#6
MyTechAddiction
And thats exactly the kind of crap that pushed me back to Windows 7.
Posted on Reply
#7
EarthDog
Yikes for enterprise/business. Nothing to worry about for most, however as we dont have CSVs, yes?
Posted on Reply
#8
AsRock
TPU addict
tvamos said:
So it was sneaky update, as I use Avira AV and had this issue. Pc starts and boots as usual, but then start-up of programs takes 5-10 minutes for no obvious reason. Later it's all good, AV also working properly.
Well a update started about tuesday on my gaming system even though being win10 with updates disabled a year or so later i noticed it saying updating on shutdown. I have checked the logs and the last update being 11 months ago. Said it was updating on shutdown and when the system was restarted it finished it but no sign of it any were.

Been thinking of going back to win7 on both gaming machines for one or more reasons even more so now as one reason was due to Divinity 2 not supporting Win7 if i remember right.
Posted on Reply
#9
bonehead123
THankfully, after the 1st goofy update a while back (Oct '18 ?), my IT dept starting limiting system updates to 8 test machines, and ran through seeing and fixing all of the sillyness first, instead of just blindly applying the bad releases to all company machines...

And also thankfully, my daughter's school is an all Mac institution, so they were not subjected to this lack of QA/QC by Microsloft :D

And me thinks I will stay on 1803 on my personal machines for a wee bitz longer, hehehehe...
Posted on Reply
#10
64K
s3thra said:
Oh wow, another bad update. I had to deal with about 150 Windows 7 machines not booting up in my workplace a couple of weeks ago, all of which updated and conflicted with Sophos Antivirus. I (and a couple of other techs) had to manually force each machine into safe mode to fix the issue. Not fun when you're dealing with many remote sites! That was 2 and a half days we'll never get back.

We're definitely going back to screening our updates so this kind of thing doesn't happen again. The compromise is to stay a little bit behind on the update schedule, with a little bit of administrative overhead to test things. It's worth it if an update doesn't sneak through and cripple our clients like this again. Clearly MS isn't testing their updates as thoroughly as we'd all like them to, so it's up to us unfortunately.

Thank you @btarunr for reporting this issue.
ironcerealbox said:
At the academic institution I work for, we've had over 1000 Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs go berserk. Thank gawd I got my institution's IT department to let me somewhat control the PCs of my lab by looking the other way. The entire campus's admin, classroom, instructor office, and most of the lab PCs went down with a few updates (most notably KB4493472 and KB4498xxx, can't recall last few digits). My lab is fine as I run a custom Deep Freeze setup on all my Windows 7 Enterprise x86 student computers (I get control of which updates get through). The admin stations are fine as I keep an eye on those 5 PCs and those run Windows 10 Pro (the rest of the campus runs 7 Enterprise x86 or 10 Enterprise x86 or x64). I have the only lab where every PC is fine. It's been interesting watching the rest of the campus panic.

Clearly M$ is not vetting their updates and patches. I sense a lack of quality software engineers over at M$. Where'd they all go? Oh, that's right, they let them go when they don't want to pay them more because of their experience. Experienced software or hardware teams are invaluable to any tech company. Hell, experienced employees anywhere for that matter.

But, what do I know? I'm a mathematician. /facepalm
MS 2018 Annual Financial Report

110.5 billion dollars in Revenue
72 billion dollars Gross Profit
16.5 billion dollars Net Profit after paying dividends to investors
133.8 billion dollars in cash

Does that look like a company that can't pay for a Quality Assurance Dept?
They have no reason in the world to make their customers screen the updates to check for problems and report them to MS especially if they are forcing the updates on hundreds of millions of Windows 10 users. Even when they will allow turning off updates in Windows 10 most people probably won't.
Posted on Reply
#11
BorgOvermind
W10 is constantly breaking compatibility with most AV and security software.

Defer updates in all versions...they said that 1 year ago too. When is it actually coming for Home ?
Posted on Reply
#12
windwhirl
BorgOvermind said:
W10 is constantly breaking compatibility with most AV and security software.

Defer updates in all versions...they said that 1 year ago too. When is it actually coming for Home ?
Keep in mind, though, that AV software also tends to use undocumented or unsupported functions.

There are exceptions, of course. For example, I use Eset. Been running fine for years, even considering that I always run the Skip Ahead or Fast Ring builds.

Defer updates for up to 35 days on W10 Home edition is only available for the latest version (1903).
Posted on Reply
#13
micropage7
latest update making my laptop blank, no start menu at all, just blank
the only way to run the app just through task manager
Posted on Reply
#15
AsRock
TPU addict
wiyosaya said:
ShutUp10 - https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Problem solved for any version of Windohs 10 including home.
Found it not so in my case tried that and w1zard's scripts and updates still happen in the home version.
Posted on Reply
#16
EarthDog
Worked fine for me in Home (2 machines).
Posted on Reply
#17
AsRock
TPU addict
never worked for me, although i just checked file sizes and there is a 100KB difference so maybe they changed some thing since i last bothered trying.
Posted on Reply
#18
Steevo
64K said:
Once again MS doesn't test an update before forcing it on users. They really, really need to get their shit together. They have hundreds of millions of customers that are affected by an update and they can't be bothered to test an update?
Same shit different OS. I had to rebuild numerous arrays yeas should due to update Tuesday and how kernel drivers were handled, causing arrays to break on chipset drivers. Any IT person worth their salt doesn't allow updates to mission critical systems, and they get done after hours. Still sucks for end users that aren't proficient though.
Posted on Reply
#19
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
64K said:
Once again MS doesn't test an update before forcing it on users. They really, really need to get their shit together. They have hundreds of millions of customers that are affected by an update and they can't be bothered to test an update?
They let all those folks go 3 years ago, so unless they make a reverse decision, the public are testers of the ongoing beta product known as W10.
Posted on Reply
#20
Easo
Steevo said:
Same shit different OS. I had to rebuild numerous arrays yeas should due to update Tuesday and how kernel drivers were handled, causing arrays to break on chipset drivers. Any IT person worth their salt doesn't allow updates to mission critical systems, and they get done after hours. Still sucks for end users that aren't proficient though.
Any IT person worth their salt actually do update mission critical systems (after testing said updates), but whatever you say.
Also, redundancy, backups, blah blah.
Posted on Reply
#21
Assimilator
BorgOvermind said:
W10 is constantly breaking compatibility with most AV and security software.
Wrong way around - so-called "anti-virus" software has been pulling all sorts of shenanigans for decades in the name of "safety", and now that Mcrosoft is hardening up its OS, those nasty little tangly hooks that these "anti-virus" products sink into Windows' internal workings are causing problems.

I have never had a problem with Windows 10 except on computers using third-party "anti-virus". Uninstall that useless trash and save yourselves money and pain.
Posted on Reply
#22
lemonadesoda
M$ telemetry... you become the beta tester and they can watch you bluescreen, and giggle. It is time the EU and some US big shot law firm, did a Class action on M$ for the lost time and lost business, to remind m$ that the cost of debugging and validating should be borne by m$ and not their customers. Remind me to block all m$ update servers on my router.

Oh, I just downloaded O&O Shut up again. I noticed that my last saved version was back from end 2017. Very pleased I used the new 2019 version, and saw that M$ has TURNED BACK ON telemetry, advert and websearch data sharing. WHAT! I had turned that sht off, and MS obviously turned it back on again in one of its silent updates!
Posted on Reply
#23
hat
Enthusiast
lemonadesoda said:
M$ telemetry... you become the beta tester and they can watch you bluescreen, and giggle. It is time the EU and some US big shot law firm, did a Class action on M$ for the lost time and lost business, to remind m$ that the cost of debugging and validating should be borne by m$ and not their customers. Remind me to block all m$ update servers on my router.

Oh, I just downloaded O&O Shut up again. I noticed that my last saved version was back from end 2017. Very pleased I used the new 2019 version, and saw that M$ has TURNED BACK ON telemetry, advert and websearch data sharing. WHAT! I had turned that sht off, and MS obviously turned it back on again in one of its silent updates!
Yeah, w10 is constantly changing itself. I've had Windows Defender come back after explicitly disabling it in group policy... but it's okay because Microsoft knows better than me so that means they get to manage my settings for me, regardless of what changes I've made. :shadedshu:
Posted on Reply
#24
lexluthermiester
64K said:
Once again MS doesn't test an update before forcing it on users. They really, really need to get their shit together.
This. Microsoft needs to go back to long-term testing schedules and yearly updates for non-critical patches.
hat said:
I've had Windows Defender come back after explicitly disabling it in group policy.
It doesn't come back if you delete the contents of the directory's and lock the system out of them with Permissions in the "Security" tab in the folder properties.
Posted on Reply
#25
hat
Enthusiast
A workaround solution for one of many issues that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. :banghead: Thanks MS!
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment