Thursday, May 7th 2009

MSI Readies R4890 Cyclone, GPU Reaches 1.00 GHz

There are overclocked Radeon HD 4890 cards, and then there are overclocked Radeon HD 4890 cards. The difference between the two seems to be that the latter comprises of the "real" RV790OC-class SKU that runs at speeds in excess of 900 MHz, and offers a considerable overclocking headroom. The former, is mainly partners utilizing whatever headroom standard batches of RV790 offer, to come up with factory-overclocked settings that spice up specs-sheets. MSI joined the league of AIBs making a high-end Radeon HD 4890 accelerator, keeping the 1.00 GHz core frequency as a milestone.

Following Sapphire with its Atomic HD 4890 Vapor-X, MSI seems to be readying the R4890 Cyclone. This card uses a cooler similar to what some of its Radeon HD 4870 cousins sport, while using an elaborate, yet standard power circuitry. The cooler consists of a radial heatsink from which 2~4 8 mm heatpipes convey heat to two aluminum fin blocks that are arranged on either sides of the heatsink. A fan nucleates the heatsink, although it didn't make it to the picture. Over to the PCB, MSI does away with the lavish digital PWM circuitry on the reference PCB, and in its place, put a 5+2 phase standard DPAK power circuitry. What's fascinating about this PCB is that it carries the AMD brandmark, leading us to believe that AMD may have come up with a cost-saving PCB design that is available to its AIBs. The R4890 Cyclone is set for launch in the upcoming Computex 2009 event.

Source: Fudzilla
Add your own comment

39 Comments on MSI Readies R4890 Cyclone, GPU Reaches 1.00 GHz

#1
TheGuruStud
My regular MSI 4890 does 1 GHz bone stock *yawns*.

Wait till I bios flash and get a good cooler :)
Posted on Reply
#2
Ketxxx
Heedless Psychic
WarEagleAU said:
Who would want to oc this puppy with specs like these?
I would :D
Posted on Reply
#3
tzitzibp
so would I! lol

and why not? As long as it can be done, why not give it a go?
After all, some people buy with OC in mind!
Posted on Reply
#4
largon
About time. The first nonreference HD4890.

.
.
.

No. Sapphire's and Asus' cards cannot be said to be nonreference.
Posted on Reply
#6
Mussels
Moderprator
h3llb3nd4 said:
Why not?
they're awesome!!
because they use a reference PCB, and non reference cooling.

This card uses a non reference PCB.
Posted on Reply
#7
h3llb3nd4
Oh, so you need to use a non reference PCB to qualify.....
Posted on Reply
#8
Unregistered
largon said:
About time. The first nonreference HD4890.

.
.
.

No. Sapphire's and Asus' cards cannot be said to be nonreference.
Mussels said:
because they use a reference PCB, and non reference cooling.

This card uses a non reference PCB.
so what do you call cards with reference PCB and non reference cooler ?

5+2 phase ..... doesn't reference HD4890 have 7 phases for GPU core , don't know about memory
#9
Mussels
Moderprator
wolf2009 said:
so what do you call cards with reference PCB and non reference cooler ?
a reference card with a non reference cooler, of course :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#10
Unregistered
Mussels said:
a reference card with a non reference cooler, of course :laugh:
aah, thats too long. we need something short, ref-non-ref
#11
largon
wolf2009 said:
5+2 phase ..... doesn't reference HD4890 have 7 phases for GPU core , don't know about memory
Ref. HD4890 has 3+2 phases for core, (3 for core + 2 for GDDR5 memory controller) and 1+1 for memory. This nonref. MSI has just as many but they're not made of Volterra parts.
Posted on Reply
#12
h3llb3nd4
wolf2009 said:
aah, thats too long. we need something short, ref-non-ref
Sounds too much like soccer...
ref(referree); non-ref(not referree) :P
Posted on Reply
#13
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
largon said:
Ref. HD4890 has 3+2 phases for core, (3 for core + 2 for GDDR5 memory controller) and 1+1 for memory. This nonref. MSI has just as many but they're not made of Volterra parts.
i believe only the 2 chips on the ref cards are the Volterra parts, Unless if its a complete volt control package.
Posted on Reply
#14
largon
eidairaman1 said:
i believe only the 2 chips on the ref cards are the Volterra parts, Unless if its a complete volt control package.
You're counting only the phase controllers. There are 9 chips made by Volterra on HD4890:
2× VT1165MF phase controllers
1× VT1195SF + 2× VT1165SF for processing core
2× VT1165SF for GDDR5 memory controller
1+1× VT242WF for GDDR5 vDD & vDDQ
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment