Thursday, May 28th 2009

ASUS Designs Own Monster Dual-GTX 285 4 GB Graphics Card

ASUS has just designed a new monster graphics card that breaks the mold for reference design GeForce GTX 295, called the ASUS MARS 295 Limited Edition. The card, although retains the name "GeForce GTX 295", same device ID, and is compatible with existing NVIDIA drivers, has two huge innovations put in by ASUS, which go far beyond being yet another overclocked GeForce GTX 295: the company used two G200-350-B3 graphics processors, the same ones that make the GeForce GTX 285. The GPUs have all the 240 shader processors enabled, and also have the complete 512-bit GDDR3 memory interface enabled. This dual-PCB monstrosity holds 32 memory chips, and 4 GB of total memory (each GPU accesses 2 GB of it). Apart from these, each GPU system uses the same exact clock speeds as the GeForce GTX 285: 648/1476/2400 MHz (core/shader/memory).
Each PCB holds 16 memory chips, a 6-phase digital PWM power circuit, drawing auxiliary power from an 8-pin PCI-E power connector, the GeForce GTX 285-class GPU, and its companion NVIO2 processor. The PCB holding the PCI-Express bus interface, also holds the bridge chip. ASUS broke away with using the nForce 200 chip, and instead is using a yet to be disclosed third-party bridge chip. Currently, PLX and IDT are two likely sources for such a chip. The memory consists of high-density 0.77 ns memory chips made by Hynix.
The electrical-management on each PCB is care of a Volterra VRM controller, which supports the I2C interface, which means that the card supports software voltage control, perhaps a big plus for ASUS' Voltage Tweak feature that is gaining in popularity. Fused power circuit provides Over Current Protection while also facilitating extreme overclocking.

The cooler internally has the same basic construction as the reference cooler, it uses a single leaf-blower. The card spans across two expansion slots and is slightly higher than the reference design card. ASUS also used slightly longer internal bridges that make more room for third-party coolers, and the likes. Our source from ASUS EMEA conducted a quick 3DMark Vantage test proving the card's seamless compatibility with existing drivers, while also providing a significant boost in performance over existing GTX 295 cards. Being Quad-SLI capable, this card finally makes GeForce GTX 285 (effective) quad-SLI possible, and makes for the most powerful desktop multi-GPU setup ever conceived. ASUS designed this card despite pressure from NVIDIA enforcing its rigid policy of restricting its partners from custom-designing GeForce GTX 295. If everything goes smooth throughout the development process, the card might make it for a gala launch at Computex.
Add your own comment

179 Comments on ASUS Designs Own Monster Dual-GTX 285 4 GB Graphics Card

#1
h3llb3nd4
Weer said:
What are you talking about, African brother? 750 US$ for the 30-incher.
Not African....I just immigrated there.
I'm trying to say 2560x1600 is not as popular as 1920x1080
Posted on Reply
#2
Weer
W1zzard said:
usually i am convinced that there is no point in going 2 GB VRAM. simply because any card would be too slow (fps wise) at such settings. no difference between 7 and 14 fps.. both isnt playable. with this card however, there might be chance that we could see some benefits.

only exception might be gta4 which seems to benefit nicely from more memory even at less demanding resolutions/AA. read: shit engine. not to mention the extremely gay DRM - i boycott it for benchmarks
Yup. That's just about what I said/thought. And I got some back-up.

Since the first time a graphics card was forcefully glued 1024MB of vRAM without needing it because it was an entry-level card, this card is the only one that makes the ridiculous amount of memory seem cool.

Oh, and I hate the crappy porting job those idiots did to GTA 4. Isn't it fun to laugh at them?
Posted on Reply
#3
Mussels
Moderprator
h3llb3nd4 said:
Not African....I just immigrated there.
I'm trying to say 2560x1600 is not as popular as 1920x1080
and if even 1/10th of the people with those 30" screens want these monster cards, asus would sell out.

its not like these are going to be mass produced and sold at best buy for $2K for the next 2 years. they're a brief thing for those that want the best, and want it now.
Posted on Reply
#4
Weer
h3llb3nd4 said:
Not African....I just immigrated there.
I'm trying to say 2560x1600 is not as popular as 1920x1080
So, you're white living in a black man's world?! White power, brotha!

Yes, and gold is not as popular as bronze. I used to have bronze.. then I gave it away to someone who wouldn't be able to use that past tense as quickly as me. Hey, if they ever came out with a 37" ~3400x2130 resolution, I'd do something else with the 30". Although, since it was refurbished from Dell when I got it, I may not just give it away. Besides, it's fucking awesome.
Posted on Reply
#5
Weer
Mussels said:
and if even 1/10th of the people with those 30" screens want these monster cards, asus would sell out.

its not like these are going to be mass produced and sold at best buy for $2K for the next 2 years. they're a brief thing for those that want the best, and want it now.
My.. god. You just described me. Except, I don't want it for that high of a price. No can do, huh?

This is going to be as expensive as the Ultra. Gosh, I wonder if there's someone who doesn't know what I am talking about.
Posted on Reply
#6
Duncan1
Great news btanunr!:toast:

Fantastic cooler, but I think the ''all-black'' would be better.. Is there any picture with the cooler itself?
Posted on Reply
#7
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Duncan1 said:
Great news btanunr!:toast:

Fantastic cooler, but I think the ''all-black'' would be better.. Is there any picture with the cooler itself?
The first picture is the complete card :)

Edit. it doesn't have the expansion bracket in the first picture.
Posted on Reply
#8
h3llb3nd4
Weer said:
So, you're white living in a black man's world?! White power, brotha!

Yes, and gold is not as popular as bronze. I used to have bronze.. then I gave it away to someone who wouldn't be able to use that past tense as quickly as me. Hey, if they ever came out with a 37" ~3400x2130 resolution, I'd do something else with the 30". Although, since it was refurbished from Dell when I got it, I may not just give it away. Besides, it's fucking awesome.
Guess again!:laugh:
Im Taiwanese:)
Posted on Reply
#9
Duncan1
btarunr said:
The first picture is the complete card :)

Edit. it doesn't have the expansion bracket in the first picture.
I meant a picture from the back of the cooler...:o
Posted on Reply
#10
trt740
get ready to morgage you home for it lol!!

still Holy Mother of Moses is that a beast.:D
Posted on Reply
#11
W1zzard
h3llb3nd4 said:
@ weer: But 2560x1600 is rare and hardly anyone uses it...I bet you rich ppl wont buy those screens until they're more popular...
we will be adding 2560x1600 to future vga reviews. all praise zotac for providing us an LG 30"

using 2560x1600 is like going from weed to cocaine. i really really have to buy one for my desktop.
Posted on Reply
#12
h3llb3nd4
I will when I have cash...:P
those 30"ers are Frikkin expensive!!
Posted on Reply
#13
ZoneDymo
How can this beast work with 1 x 8-pin?
Posted on Reply
#14
GSG-9
ZoneDymo said:
How can this beast work with 1 x 8-pin?
I was impressed by this as well.
Posted on Reply
#15
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
That's one 8-pin connector per PCB. Two in all.
Posted on Reply
#16
El_Mayo
i swear this thread was about a 4GB GTX 295?
now it says "Dual GTX 285"?
Posted on Reply
#17
GSG-9
btarunr said:
That's one 8-pin connector per PCB. Two in all.
Ah, thats more what I expected,
Posted on Reply
#18
Weer
W1zzard said:
we will be adding 2560x1600 to future vga reviews. all praise zotac for providing us an LG 30"

using 2560x1600 is like going from weed to cocaine. i really really have to buy one for my desktop.
That's actually a pretty accurate metaphor.

Too bad they don't have such awesome deals in Germany.
Posted on Reply
#19
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
Too bad its only a collector edition. Id like to see something like this for ATI cards as well.
Posted on Reply
#20
El Fiendo
Wow. Now the only burning question remaining for me is where's the part that allows me to sex it?
Posted on Reply
#21
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
El Fiendo said:
Wow. Now the only burning question remaining for me is where's the part that allows me to sex it?
The SmartDoctor app comes with a/some sliders.
Posted on Reply
#22
h3llb3nd4
I hate ASUS S/D...
Looks bad.... EVGA precision FTW!!:rockout:
Posted on Reply
#23
1Kurgan1
The Knife in your Back
Another Asus innovation, seems they should almost be making their own GPU's as they also are the only company who makes 4850x2's.
Posted on Reply
#24
ZoneDymo
btarunr said:
That's one 8-pin connector per PCB. Two in all.
A yes you are right, thanks
Posted on Reply
#25
erocker
Senior Moderator
With only 1000 being made I would expect workstation card prices. $1000 dollars minimum.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment