Tuesday, June 7th 2011

AMD FX 8 Core and 4 Core Processor Systems Seen Running at E3

At the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2011, AMD made its revival of the FX brand identifier official. The company steered clear of actually launching anything, but reran the audience through the AMD Bulldozer architecture, something AMD first did way back in August 2010 (yeah, it's been that long!). Knowing the audience needed a lot more than just that, AMD ran live demos of gaming PCs running the new FX series processors, again, without giving away any performance figures.

AMD first showed the final box art design. The box of the eight-core FX Black Edition processor is a classy metal canister, while the quad-core FX chip is housed in a more common-looking paperboard box, the design of which matches the one revealed in a box-art exposé back in March. The gaming rigs shown run the eight-core FX processor on an ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard, with Radeon HD 6900 series graphics, with an Eyefinity display setup.
An instance of next-generation AMD Overdrive software is running, displaying a surprisingly low 19°C temperature on all cores. This could be a glitch, probably because AOD doesn't support the sensor interface of the new FX chips properly, yet. The other thing AOD reveals is that each of the eight cores is running on its own BClk multiplier value, ranging from 1.00 GHz (5 x 200 MHz), to 3.20 GHz (16 x 200 MHz). The core voltage for all the cores is displayed as 1.4V, again we suspect a low-level interface glitch.

Source: 4Gamer.net
Add your own comment

178 Comments on AMD FX 8 Core and 4 Core Processor Systems Seen Running at E3

#1
Strider
cdawall said:
when you can figure out how you get cpu temps below the temp of the room come tell me because it is not possible. google thermodynamics.
Moving air can be cooler than standing air. The air that is actually being moved over your heatsink can indeed be cooler than the ambient air temperature in the room the PC is located in.

I did not say you can cool below the air temperature, I said the air temperature can be lower when it's moving than when stagnate. So you can indeed cool slightly under the rooms ambient temperature outside the case.

Thanks :)
Posted on Reply
#2
CDdude55
Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Considering all mainstream coolers use the air around your computer in one way or another (even watercooled) i don't see how you can get below that. You'll generally always be hotter then your ambient temps.

The only exception to that would be extreme cooling that takes the parts below zero.
Posted on Reply
#3
CDdude55
Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Strider said:
Moving air can be cooler than standing air. The air that is actually being moved over your heatsink can indeed be cooler than the ambient air temperature in the room the PC is located in.

I did not say you can cool below the air temperature, I said the air temperature can be lower when it's moving than when stagnate. So you can indeed cool slightly under the rooms ambient temperature outside the case.

Thanks :)
I don't understand, when you move hot air, it's still hot air. Fans don't cool the air down,
Posted on Reply
#4
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Strider said:
Moving air can be cooler than standing air. The air that is actually being moved over your heatsink can indeed be cooler than the ambient air temperature in the room the PC is located in.

I did not say you can cool below the air temperature, I said the air temperature can be lower when it's moving than when stagnate. So you can indeed cool slightly under the rooms ambient temperature outside the case.

Thanks :)
no its not. moving air has the same temp as stationary. also fans increase air temps electric motor add heat into the air.
Posted on Reply
#5
alexsubri
ooohh boy! I've been waiting all year for this, can`t wait till the release and some benchies! This is my must have 2011! What was the default clock speed?
Posted on Reply
#6
cadaveca
My name is Dave
cdawall said:
however they have a little more respect for agreements signed with AMD
What does that mean?

:confused:

What does that have to do with how CPUs are available in retail? Um...
Posted on Reply
#7
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
cadaveca said:
What does that mean?

:confused:

What does that have to do with how CPUs are available in retail? Um...
the parts all come out at pretty much the same time. these chips are in the hands of people on every major country there. the reason you see so many chinese BS reviews 2 months early is they dont care about NDA.
Posted on Reply
#8
mastrdrver
Cdawall is right about the sensors. They do read correctly.........at 19C. Outside of that, who knows. ;)

cdawall said:
no its not. moving air has the same temp as stationary. also fans increase air temps electric motor add heat into the air.
Crazy I tell you! :laugh: Where do you come up with your stuff? ;)
Posted on Reply
#9
cadaveca
My name is Dave
cdawall said:
the reason you see so many chinese BS reviews 2 months early is they dont care about NDA.
Um, this thread is about the systems and benchmarks shown @ E3 by AMD, not unsanctioned reviews...

Doesn't always take signing an NDA to get pre-release hardware. ;)
Posted on Reply
#11
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
mastrdrver said:
Cdawall is right about the sensors. They do read correctly.........at 19C. Outside of that, who knows. ;)



Crazy I tell you! :laugh: Where do you come up with your stuff? ;)
pure craziness man :laugh:

cadaveca said:
Um, this thread is about the systems and benchmarks shown @ E3 by AMD, not unsanctioned reviews...

Doesn't always take signing an NDA to get pre-release hardware. ;)
man i never knew that :wtf: one of those been there done that things and E3 is kind of a big deal hence why things go there first.
Posted on Reply
#12
cadaveca
My name is Dave
cdawall said:
E3 is kind of a big deal hence why things go there first.
Question is, where do they go after? ;)

Temp sensors aren't made to report correct temperatures @ idle...they are made to work @ temps that might harm the CPU, so that it throttles correctly, and doesn't blow out the magic blue smoke.
Posted on Reply
#13
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
cadaveca said:
Question is, where do they go after? ;)

Temp sensors aren't made to report correct temperatures @ idle...they are made to work @ temps that might harm the CPU, so that it throttles correctly, and doesn't blow out the magic blue smoke.
most are returned to AMD as part of their NDA's there are some that slip out and others that get "destroyed" by overclockers.


my meaning of the temp sensor being correct at 65C was that. these chips silicone wise are still ok all the way up to 100C. however this will lead to heavy degradation. AMD rates there chips to temp XX because they have tested the chips to run at that temp stable and last until the warranty is up.
Posted on Reply
#14
seronx
cdawall said:
most are returned to AMD as part of their NDA's there are some that slip out and others that get "destroyed" by overclockers.


my meaning of the temp sensor being correct at 65C was that. these chips silicone wise are still ok all the way up to 100C. however this will lead to heavy degradation. AMD rates there chips to temp XX because they have tested the chips to run at that temp stable and last until the warranty is up.
I want to ask where was this 65*C coming from because the temps we saw are all 19*C-20.5*C
Posted on Reply
#15
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
seronx said:
I want to ask where was this 65*C coming from because the temps we saw are all 19*C-20.5*C
because i know what the chips are rated at and what the temp sensors specs are.
Posted on Reply
#16
cadaveca
My name is Dave
cdawall said:
most are returned to AMD as part of their NDA's there are some that slip out and others that get "destroyed" by overclockers.
Ever read a real NDA? Most of them say that disclosure of the NDA terms themselves is a breach of the NDA.

First rule of Fight Club...;)

I've got a fair bit of pre-release hardware with no NDA, but not from AMD directly. I only wish. I don't need an NDA to keep my lips tight.


And yeah, I know what you were on about with the sensor. I think perhaps I might understand a bit more than the avg joe.:laugh:
Posted on Reply
#17
Wile E
Power User
Strider said:
Moving air can be cooler than standing air. The air that is actually being moved over your heatsink can indeed be cooler than the ambient air temperature in the room the PC is located in.

I did not say you can cool below the air temperature, I said the air temperature can be lower when it's moving than when stagnate. So you can indeed cool slightly under the rooms ambient temperature outside the case.

Thanks :)
No it can't. Moving air is not cooler. Moving air makes you feel cooler because it is pulling heat away from your body as it moves over you, not because it is actually cooler.
TheMailMan78 said:
lol at 6.1 I would fail as a dwarf.
Yeah, but you're ugly enough to be one.
Posted on Reply
#19
MikeMurphy
inferKNOX said:
After building up to this degree of suspense, if AMD fail, it'll be the most Ultimate Supreme EPIC & Unforgivable Fail!
It doesn't have to be a mega leap in technology, it'll be enough if it at least looks SB straight in the eye, but dammit, it better not be fail!!:twitch:
I think you lack appreciation of just how quickly Intel has progressed with nehalem and sandy bridge. If BD comes close to single and multi-threaded nehalem performance it will be a huge 'win'. Forget SB performance.
Posted on Reply
#20
TheLaughingMan
I really wanna see one of the test chips up close and personal. Must remember to beg and/or bribe the right people in the next few hours.

I expect the top of the line FX to fall just above the 2600K in everything, but video encoding. I hope the FX completely blows it out of the water and falls just under the upcoming 2011 chips, but that is a glorious pipe dream.

I also don't care how it gets done either. Modules, cores, hyper threads, default clock rates, blah blah blah. In the end, it is chip vs. chip with AMD in a corner. And like a trapped mouse, AMD better bear its claws and teeth and fight for their lives.

P.S. Dear AMD, advertisements work best when posted on sites other than your own. Just saying.
Posted on Reply
#21
kid41212003
No one seemed to notice that even though the frequency for each core did go down, but the voltage did not...
Posted on Reply
#22
slyfox2151
kid41212003 said:
No one seemed to notice that even though the frequency for each core did go down, but the voltage did not...
if you read all the posts you would have noticed a few people have said this, its also likely a software glitch, or even a bug in the bios.
Posted on Reply
#23
cadaveca
My name is Dave
TheLaughingMan said:
Dear AMD, advertisements work best when posted on sites other than your own. Just saying.
Whadda you mean? They use Facebook and Twitter! What else is there?

:rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#24
seronx
cadaveca said:
Whadda you mean? They use Facebook and Twitter! What else is there?

:rolleyes:
Techpowerup, Exclusive reviewer

:respect:

I like your graphs TPU

:cry:
Posted on Reply
#25
rakesh_sharma23
I have been in PC making from Pentium series time.. i was happy with the Intel till Pentium III CPU.. then came AMD Athlon... It just changed my choice... Since then i was truly AMD Fan.. used AMD and suggest AMD only to every one i know..

Even Intel Core i7 (first Gen) failed to shift me to Intel (was very expensive).......
BUT but........ Sandy Bridge changed whole story...

Now I am having i7 2600k in my rig... and very pleased with the performance ..fare good then AMD X6...

This is the same story of many AMD lovers..... SandyBridge made then switch to Intel....

If AMD Fx performs better then SandyBridge than there is some hope for AMD,,,
Even equal performance will lead to loss the battle for AMD.. cos Intel socket-2011 cpu are ready to fight against FX.....

Cross my fingers for AMD Fx.....
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment