Tuesday, June 7th 2011

AMD FX 8 Core and 4 Core Processor Systems Seen Running at E3

At the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2011, AMD made its revival of the FX brand identifier official. The company steered clear of actually launching anything, but reran the audience through the AMD Bulldozer architecture, something AMD first did way back in August 2010 (yeah, it's been that long!). Knowing the audience needed a lot more than just that, AMD ran live demos of gaming PCs running the new FX series processors, again, without giving away any performance figures.

AMD first showed the final box art design. The box of the eight-core FX Black Edition processor is a classy metal canister, while the quad-core FX chip is housed in a more common-looking paperboard box, the design of which matches the one revealed in a box-art exposé back in March. The gaming rigs shown run the eight-core FX processor on an ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard, with Radeon HD 6900 series graphics, with an Eyefinity display setup.
An instance of next-generation AMD Overdrive software is running, displaying a surprisingly low 19°C temperature on all cores. This could be a glitch, probably because AOD doesn't support the sensor interface of the new FX chips properly, yet. The other thing AOD reveals is that each of the eight cores is running on its own BClk multiplier value, ranging from 1.00 GHz (5 x 200 MHz), to 3.20 GHz (16 x 200 MHz). The core voltage for all the cores is displayed as 1.4V, again we suspect a low-level interface glitch.

Source: 4Gamer.net

178 Comments on AMD FX 8 Core and 4 Core Processor Systems Seen Running at E3

happita
CDdude55 said:
The tin can is awesome cause you can you can store a bunch of crap afterwards, like old Baseball cards or marijuana.
So THAT'S why they're tin canning black edition FX processors! I knew AMD secretly liked the stoner crowd ;)

Anyway.....it's interesting to see that all those cores are about to run at different frequencies. I thought that only one core would be overclocked and the rest at a set clock. I guess it's different with these "modules".
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
erocker said:
There's no way it's cooler than 66F in that convention center. It's most likely 72-80F. Looks like they're still using the old broken temp sensors.
the sensors are not "broken" they read correctly at 65C.
Damn_Smooth
cdawall said:
the sensors are not "broken" they read correctly at 65C.
Are you there? If so, I'm jealous as hell.
lashton
i concur

The sensors are NOT i repet NOT broken they read correctly
Damn_Smooth
lashton said:
The sensors are NOT i repet NOT broken they read correctly
So what's the deal? How do you know?
damric
I dig the metal box.
Damn_Smooth
damric said:
I dig the metal box.
It's shiny.
erocker
Senior Moderator
lashton said:
The sensors are NOT i repet NOT broken they read correctly
Damn_Smooth said:
So what's the deal? How do you know?
I'm interested to know as well.

I must of missed this great new technology AMD has that allows their processors to run under ambient temperatures using a stock air cooler.

So with that being said. I repet, the temperature sensor(s) are not giving accurate readings.
damric
Damn_Smooth said:
It's shiny.
If I had a stash, I would surely stash my stash in it.
:laugh:
JATownes
I believe that the temp sensor might be like the PIIs, whereas the temp is not correct at low temps, but as it starts to scale up, the readings become accurate. Could be wrong though, just a guess.
fullinfusion
Vanguard Beta Tester
Damn_Smooth said:
Are you there? If so, I'm jealous as hell.
cdawall has some idea whats going on, I wouldn't put it past him if he's already running an ES X8 chip :wtf:
Velvet Wafer
fullinfusion said:
whereever he got that from:D
Im not sure if he has one, but im pretty sure he knows someone that has one;)
Damn_Smooth
fullinfusion said:
That would make me as jealous as being at E3. If not more. :D
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
lashton said:
The sensors are NOT i repet NOT broken they read correctly
they don't read correctly at anything below 65C there is a temp delta built into them.
xenocide
cdawall said:
He's taking the Apple approach, disregard evidence, reap profits.

I agree that this was a pointless demo, until they show any benchmarks or viable performance numbers, I will assume these are at best on par with SB CPU's.
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
xenocide said:
He's taking the Apple approach, disregard evidence, reap profits.

what do you mean by that there is no evidence these chips are not out. i am telling you what i know. i have also never mentioned performance nor do i care too.
TheMailMan78
Big Member
v2.0HeLLBRinGeR said:
Sorry if this is off-topic, but why I can't comment on the 2011 Computex 2011 Show Girls article. Marilyn Monroe was there advertising a smartphone.
How did she smell?
Strider
19C is easily possible, just don't think it's going to happen on stock cooling. haha

I am at 20C on my soon to be outmatched 1090T at 4.1GHz at the moment. Then again, I am also not doing much save for running a single sever and reading up here at TPU. Well, that, and I am also running a Thermaltake Frio cooler. lol

Can't wait to get my greedy geeky hands on one of these 8 cores....
erocker
Senior Moderator
Strider said:

Can't wait to get my greedy geeky hands on one of these 8 cores....
The point is that it is impossible for a CPU to run below ambient (room temperature). So if it is 21c in your room, your CPU cannot run at 20c.
kid41212003
Cool N Quiet didn't seem to work right :p.

Each core had different frequency, but the voltage stayed the same.
Strider
erocker said:
Well, not on a stock air cooler your not. The right liquid cooler or thermal electric you sure can.

Though you can actually get a degree or two under room ambient on high-end air in a highly ventilated case. Depends on humidity and how much air you got moving through the cooler and case itself. So you will cool to the ambient of the air being forced over the cooler, and that can indeed be slightly less than the air temps in a room with stagnate air. To a point anyway. lol
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Strider said:

when you can figure out how you get cpu temps below the temp of the room come tell me because it is not possible. google thermodynamics.