Thursday, January 12th 2017

NVIDIA's GeForce 1080 Ti Reportedly to be Announced at PAX East

After disappointing scores of potential buyers by skipping a GTX 1080 Ti announcement at CES - which could have been a last-moment decision on the company's part when AMD failed to make any relevant VEGA announcement - it looks like NVIDIA has chosen the grand stage of PAX East, which begins at March 10th, as the place to carry the previously-confirmed addition to their Pascal line of GPUs.

This information (which should be taken with a maybe unhealthy grain of salt) came to light by way of an MSI (NVIDIA's AIB partner) representative, which also mentioned that the 1080 Ti would be available from board partners (including, naturally, MSI itself) at time of launch.

Source: TechBuyer'sGuru
Add your own comment

48 Comments on NVIDIA's GeForce 1080 Ti Reportedly to be Announced at PAX East

#1
the54thvoid
At least Nvidia have made no official mention of the 1080ti. So we can just ignore every rumour until they simply release it out of the blue.
Posted on Reply
#2
Dj-ElectriC
the54thvoid said:
At least Nvidia have made no official mention of the 1080ti. So we can just ignore every rumour until they simply release it out of the blue.
Exactly. The whole "disappointed becuase no GTX 1080 Ti" this is blown out of proportion.
How many people are waiting for this 800-900$ product today? not many i would guess
Posted on Reply
#3
RejZoR
People are so stupid though, NVIDIA has released Ti versions for several years, what makes anyone believe they'll all of a sudden drop a business model which worked great for years? I always knew Ti will arrive at one point. It was just a matter of WHEN. With GTX 980Ti they established dominance over R9 Fury and because of announcement of AMD Vega, they are simply preparing the ground for a perfect launch of their counterpart.
Posted on Reply
#4
Manu_PT
This is a niche product and they´re not worried at all. They have no competition, so they launch this when they want and at the price they want.
Posted on Reply
#5
atomicus
Nvidia played this well. VEGA isn't going to touch the 1080Ti (which launches sooner), it's only just going to beat the 1080, if that. Nvidia are untouchable now, no matter what anyone says. They have HUGE coffers, they know how to make product and they know how to market it. AMD just can't compete at the top tier level, they simply can't. If you want the best, you go Nvidia. That fact won't be changing for the foreseeable future. AMD will remain the budget brand and I expect VEGA to increase their market share and see them re-enter the fold somewhat, but they are still competing in the mid-range. Nvidia are not worried, they know exactly what they're doing.
Posted on Reply
#6
TheinsanegamerN
Dj-ElectriC said:
Exactly. The whole "disappointed becuase no GTX 1080 Ti" this is blown out of proportion.
How many people are waiting for this 800-900$ product today? not many i would guess
How many note 7s did sammy sell? Over 2 million before they were recalled? And those were in the 1080ti's price range.

Seems that, if the tech is good, people will buy it. Niche as it may be, it wouldnt surprise me if there were many people waiting to buy a 1080ti.
Posted on Reply
#7
Prima.Vera
Either way, this will be the most boring Ti card everd released, since we already know the Titanium's performance, and we can easily guess the price point. Unless they pull another 780Ti, which I very much doubt it...
Posted on Reply
#8
DanishDevil
TheinsanegamerN said:
How many note 7s did sammy sell? Over 2 million before they were recalled? And those were in the 1080ti's price range.

Seems that, if the tech is good, people will buy it. Niche as it may be, it wouldnt surprise me if there were many people waiting to buy a 1080ti.
You're missing the fact that many more people want a smartphone than a top of the line gaming PC. Not saying there aren't a lot of people waiting to buy one (I'm one of them), but comparing it to smartphones is unrealistic.
Posted on Reply
#9
bug
RejZoR said:
People are so stupid though, NVIDIA has released Ti versions for several years, what makes anyone believe they'll all of a sudden drop a business model which worked great for years? I always knew Ti will arrive at one point. It was just a matter of WHEN. With GTX 980Ti they established dominance over R9 Fury and because of announcement of AMD Vega, they are simply preparing the ground for a perfect launch of their counterpart.
Not trying to compare IQs here, but when you have not one, but two consumer cards that are without competition for months, would you release a third just because that was your lineup in the past?
I would take the extra time till the competition releases anything and fine tune things, maybe try to improve yields instead.
Posted on Reply
#10
jabbadap
I'm just wondering where all full fat gp102:s goes. I have hard to believe that demand of quadro p6000 and tesla p40s are that high that all full working gpus are going there. After all gp102 gpu is not that big gpu with 471mm² die so there should be plenty of fully working dies for now.
Posted on Reply
#11
atomicus
bug said:
Not trying to compare IQs here, but when you have not one, but two consumer cards that are without competition for months, would you release a third just because that was your lineup in the past?
I would take the extra time till the competition releases anything and fine tune things, maybe try to improve yields instead.
They are getting the jump on VEGA. Announcing at CES would have jumped the gun too soon given they realised VEGA wasn't going to release until towards the middle of the year. As things stand now however, 1080Ti will announce at PAX East, availability in April, ahead of the less powerful VEGA in May. Nvidia have done the smart thing here. AMD are done at the top tier and will forever remain the budget lower performance brand. VEGA has basically come a year too late, and this just points to how far behind the curve AMD are. They are always going to be playing catch up with Nvidia who have the resources, R&D and marketing budget to destroy them at every turn.
Posted on Reply
#12
phanbuey
jabbadap said:
I'm just wondering where all full fat gp102:s goes. I have hard to believe that demand of quadro p6000 and tesla p40s are that high that all full working gpus are going there. After all gp102 gpu is not that big gpu with 471mm² die so there should be plenty of fully working dies for now.
Well I think the speculation was that they were waiting to see just how good Vega was before they made that decision...

since by releasing full gp102 they would cripple their titan brand for the future, but not releasing full means that they will have competition and potentially lose out on sales.

What I am hoping is that they release it with a soft lock because they were forced into a last minute decision.
Posted on Reply
#13
Slizzo
Looking at past recent history of product unveilings, nvidia does like to show their stuff off at PAX East....

@phanbuey : They can do what they did for the original Titan, they can put out a Titan X Black that is full GP102 alongside a full GP102 1080Ti.
Posted on Reply
#14
Hood
I will eventually buy one, the same way I bought my 780 Ti - soon after release of the next gen, when it's price is ~$400. I don't care about having the latest and greatest, not when I can buy last year's greatest for about half it's original price. My card now holds the 11th rank on Passmark, just above the GTX 1060 ($200-$250) - the 980 Ti (4th ranked card) is now ~$400, and the 8th ranked GTX 980 is only ~$300. So with good timing and careful shopping, anyone can have a "top 10" card, without breaking the bank (my 780 Ti was ranked 4th or 5th when I bought it).
Posted on Reply
#15
kruk
atomicus said:
Nvidia played this well. VEGA isn't going to touch the 1080Ti (which launches sooner), it's only just going to beat the 1080, if that. Nvidia are untouchable now, no matter what anyone says. They have HUGE coffers, they know how to make product and they know how to market it. AMD just can't compete at the top tier level, they simply can't. If you want the best, you go Nvidia. That fact won't be changing for the foreseeable future. AMD will remain the budget brand and I expect VEGA to increase their market share and see them re-enter the fold somewhat, but they are still competing in the mid-range. Nvidia are not worried, they know exactly what they're doing.
We don't have any numbers yet of the true Vega performance, so where did you get these "facts" from?
Posted on Reply
#16
phanbuey
Slizzo said:
Looking at past recent history of product unveilings, nvidia does like to show their stuff off at PAX East....

@phanbuey : They can do what they did for the original Titan, they can put out a Titan X Black that is full GP102 alongside a full GP102 1080Ti.
That would be great, would totally get one if it is full 102...
Posted on Reply
#17
64K
Slizzo said:
Looking at past recent history of product unveilings, nvidia does like to show their stuff off at PAX East....

@phanbuey : They can do what they did for the original Titan, they can put out a Titan X Black that is full GP102 alongside a full GP102 1080Ti.
True. The GK110 780 Ti had more cores than the GK110 Titan and it was faster than the Titan for $350 less as well but had 1/2 the VRAM. The Titan Black was basically a 780 Ti with twice the VRAM.

I'm not expecting that to repeat this time though.
Posted on Reply
#18
TheGuruStud
kruk said:
We don't have any numbers yet of the true Vega performance, so where did you get these "facts" from?
His hemorrhoids
Posted on Reply
#19
TheinsanegamerN
DanishDevil said:
You're missing the fact that many more people want a smartphone than a top of the line gaming PC. Not saying there aren't a lot of people waiting to buy one (I'm one of them), but comparing it to smartphones is unrealistic.
Given how well the 1080 sold at $600+, I think there is definitely a market for a $700 1080ti.
Posted on Reply
#20
TheGuruStud
TheinsanegamerN said:
Given how well the 1080 sold at $600+, I think there is definitely a market for a $700 1080ti.
I bet launch price is 850 (maybe 800 for shitty reference). 1080 price isn't going anywhere.
Posted on Reply
#21
TheinsanegamerN
TheGuruStud said:
I bet launch price is 850 (maybe 800 for shitty reference). 1080 price isn't going anywhere.
oh yeah. The only way wed get a $700 1080ti is if vega hit 1080 performance at $500. even then, it's a stretch.
Posted on Reply
#22
phanbuey
TheGuruStud said:
I bet launch price is 850 (maybe 800 for shitty reference). 1080 price isn't going anywhere.
Especially now since vega is still 4 months away
Posted on Reply
#23
eidairaman1
TheinsanegamerN said:
How many note 7s did sammy sell? Over 2 million before they were recalled? And those were in the 1080ti's price range.

Seems that, if the tech is good, people will buy it. Niche as it may be, it wouldnt surprise me if there were many people waiting to buy a 1080ti.
I dont drop 700 dollars on a phone. I wait 2 years. I got a fully carrier unlocked G900T that I can put custom roms and functions on for 250 last year. I also have a 10 dollar case that feels the same as an otterbox plus has a tether ring on it.
Posted on Reply
#24
the54thvoid
phanbuey said:
Especially now since vega is still 4 months away
This for me is 980ti versus Fury X all over. I passed on the 980ti when it released and waited for the Fury X because it was going to piss all over Nvidia. Obviously I went 980ti as it pissed all over Fury X (given the clocks that were achievable).
So if 1080ti is out in March, I'll 'have' to wait to see Vega in May. Then I'll buy my card. Got a really bad feeling I'll stump up cash for a 1080ti. I WANT Vega to be the better card but even AMD peeps are saying 'not aiming to be better than 1080ti'.

If 1080 ti is like £800 (UK price) and customs go skyward of £900, I'll buy a Titan X instead if it proves to be faster.
Posted on Reply
#25
efikkan
the54thvoid said:
At least Nvidia have made no official mention of the 1080ti. So we can just ignore every rumour until they simply release it out of the blue.
It was actually mentioned on Nvidia's web page.

jabbadap said:
I'm just wondering where all full fat gp102:s goes. I have hard to believe that demand of quadro p6000 and tesla p40s are that high that all full working gpus are going there. After all gp102 gpu is not that big gpu with 471mm² die so there should be plenty of fully working dies for now.
At the moment the huge demand for Tesla P40s are sucking the supply dry, even the supply of Titan X (Pascal) is limited.
GTX 1080 Ti will be a <3584 SP GP102.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment