Tuesday, May 16th 2017

AMD Confirms Their Threadripper Line-up

AMD's Jim Anderson has just confirmed reports about AMD's high-performance, enthusiast-level performance CPUs with up to 16 cores and 32 threads. These Threadripper CPUs will be available this summer.
Add your own comment

20 Comments on AMD Confirms Their Threadripper Line-up

#1
springs113
AMD is definitely on a roll. Competition rules.
Posted on Reply
#3
sutyi
I feel a bit sad for Intel's X299 platform.
Posted on Reply
#4
diatribe
Let's hope that their IPC stays the same so that these will chips will be strong in single and multi threaded applications. And of course remain affordable and available in the market.
Posted on Reply
#5
Darmok N Jalad
diatribe said:
Let's hope that their IPC stays the same so that these will chips will be strong in single and multi threaded applications. And of course remain affordable and available in the market.
From what I gather, these are MCM, so nothing should change other than possibly more cores competing for bandwidth. Hopefully that will be addressed by the quad channel memory.
Posted on Reply
#6
wiyosaya
diatribe said:
Let's hope that their IPC stays the same so that these will chips will be strong in single and multi threaded applications. And of course remain affordable and available in the market.
Given the current price of R7s, I would be surprised if the 16 core offering is less than $1K US. It will be interesting to see the price of these when they are released. The whole platform with a 4K+ pin socket looks like it could be pricy.

For people willing to shell out the bucks for workstation class machines, hopefully, they may be bargains.
Posted on Reply
#7
Caring1
wiyosaya said:
Given the current price of R7s, I would be surprised if the 16 core offering is less than $1K US. It will be interesting to see the price of these when they are released. The whole platform with a 4K+ pin socket looks like it could be pricy.

For people willing to shell out the bucks for workstation class machines, hopefully, they may be bargains.
I agree, I don't think many people will be impressed by the higher price, as they basically expect AMD to give stuff away at rock bottom prices.
But if you want a premium product, you have to expect a premium price too.
Posted on Reply
#8
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Caring1 said:
I agree, I don't think many people will be impressed by the higher price, as they basically expect AMD to give stuff away at rock bottom prices.
But if you want a premium product, you have to expect a premium price too.
Yup just like 1366 vs 1156, 2011 vs 1155, 2011-3 vs 1150/1151.
Posted on Reply
#9
springs113
I think we will see the 1800x drop to $409-429 and one of these take that slot. I think the $1k price assessment is fair, I'm thinking $1199 for the 16 core variant though.
Posted on Reply
#10
Grings
Threadripper, sounds like a rogers profanisaurus/urban dictionary entry for a particularly vigorous boner...

or huge, no wait..epyc fart
Posted on Reply
#11
theGryphon
I'm hoping they can keep the topdog part at $999...
Posted on Reply
#12
Darmok N Jalad
Grings said:
Threadripper, sounds like a rogers profanisaurus/urban dictionary entry for a particularly vigorous boner...

or huge, no wait..epyc fart
Or if you break the word in the wrong spot, threa-dripper!
Posted on Reply
#13
ZoneDymo
now if only Don Lafontaine was still alive
Posted on Reply
#14
theoneandonlymrk
Caring1 said:
I agree, I don't think many people will be impressed by the higher price, as they basically expect AMD to give stuff away at rock bottom prices.
But if you want a premium product, you have to expect a premium price too.
Relatively they likely will be giving it away, in cpu terms r 9 v i9 should go similar to the 7 series (that indeed 7series), so I expect a step progression VB from 10-16 cores ,its that top price that's unknown imho.
Posted on Reply
#15
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
eidairaman1 said:
SP3 here i come
You have to be ecstatic. We will see if I do these over 2696 V4's for render boxes...
Posted on Reply
#16
xenocide
I don't expect any of these to be as cheap as other people expect. If AMD is targeting HEDT and Workstations these things are going to come at a premium, as they should. AMD needs to make money.
Posted on Reply
#17
lexluthermiester
xenocide said:
I don't expect any of these to be as cheap as other people expect. If AMD is targeting HEDT and Workstations these things are going to come at a premium, as they should. AMD needs to make money.
They're already making money hand-over-fist. Stock market nonsense aside[which it's recovering from], AMD is doing well financially. My guess is that they'll be able to release R9 sub-$1000 and still make a good profit.
Posted on Reply
#18
springs113
lexluthermiester said:
They're already making money hand-over-fist. Stock market nonsense aside[which it's recovering from], AMD is doing well financially. My guess is that they'll be able to release R9 sub-$1000 and still make a good profit.
I think at least 1/4-1/2 the stack should be under 1k.
Posted on Reply
#19
lexluthermiester
springs113 said:
I think at least 1/4-1/2 the stack should be under 1k.
Agreed. And that's very likely. AMD knows that their new Ryzen line has good value and they are going to price them to be competitive with Intel's offering while simultaneously not undervaluing themselves.
Posted on Reply
#20
wiyosaya
Caring1 said:
I agree, I don't think many people will be impressed by the higher price, as they basically expect AMD to give stuff away at rock bottom prices.
But if you want a premium product, you have to expect a premium price too.
Yes - but in considering these, I think it best to consider what types of workloads it will be used for. Engineering workloads, in particular, finite element, are known to run faster on systems with quad channel memory. Without a workload that benefits from it, the best one can do is bragging rights! ;)
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment