Thursday, May 18th 2017

Raja Koduri: You Can Use Vega Frontier Edition for Gaming; But You Should Wait

In a blog post detailing AMD's Vega Frontier Edition graphics card, which we covered in-depth at the time of its announcement in AMD's Financial Analyst Day 2017, AMD's Radeon Technologies Group head Raja Koduri clarified that current machine learning poster child, the Vega Frontier Edition GPU, can also be used for gaming (who's to say some researchers, or pioneers, as AMD is so fond of calling them, won't be visiting Talos 1 themselves between coffee breaks?)

However, it is Raja Koduri's opinion that you should wait for Vega's gaming GPUs, since the Frontier Edition is "optimized for professional use cases (and priced accordingly)", and that if you want to game on AMD hardware, you should wait "just a little while longer for the lower-priced, gaming-optimized Radeon RX Vega graphics card." He then threw in a free "You'll be glad you did," as if Vega hasn't been a long, long time coming already.

Source: AMD Vega Frontier Edition
Add your own comment

61 Comments on Raja Koduri: You Can Use Vega Frontier Edition for Gaming; But You Should Wait

#3
bug
I have absolutely no idea what this statement is supposed to mean.
I mean, everybody knows professional video cards can be used to run games, but the driver lacks the appropriate profiles and uses resource allocation that's not optimal for gaming. Why did this guy had to say that again?
Posted on Reply
#4
birdie
The poll misses an option: "I'm not into the market of buying hi-end GPUs".
Posted on Reply
#5
Cybrnook2002
Maybe a comment to get eager early adopters to go ahead a buy?
Posted on Reply
#6
RejZoR
Well, we've waited for this long, we can these 2 more weeks...
Posted on Reply
#7
iO
Let's hope "a little while longer" only means till Computex...
Posted on Reply
#8
TheinsanegamerN
Always Massive Delays.

We have been waiting since the mighty 290x for a good high end GPU (fury was too limited). But even if you consider fury good, it's been nearly two years. Nvidia has dominated with pascal. How long are AMD buyers supposed to wait for raja to get off of his behind and release something?
Posted on Reply
#9
Nabarun
What kinda poll is this? What if I wanna grab an RX 570/580?
Posted on Reply
#10
efikkan
Well, technically AMD never promised consumer versions of Vega in Q2…

Let's hope it arrives soon though.
Posted on Reply
#11
RejZoR
TheinsanegamerN said:
Always Massive Delays.

We have been waiting since the mighty 290x for a good high end GPU (fury was too limited). But even if you consider fury good, it's been nearly two years. Nvidia has dominated with pascal. How long are AMD buyers supposed to wait for raja to get off of his behind and release something?
There was no massive delays for Vega. It was announced for H1 and it's still on schedule.
Posted on Reply
#12
JATownes
I've been holding out for Vega, but this is starting to get a little crazy. I finally switched to an i7 last year, because I was tired of waiting for Ryzen to show up. I will switch to Ryzen eventually, but the need is no longer urgent. I have been on a 290X pair for years now, and they really need to be replaced, but Vega is turning into a unicorn that never comes to fruition...I'll probably wait until the end of June, simply because we have family vacation, etc., but if Vega does not appear by then, I will snag a 1080ti and be set for this generation.

JAT
Posted on Reply
#13
bug
RejZoR said:
There was no massive delays for Vega. It was announced for H1 and it's still on schedule.
Everybody was expecting a consumer part, though. Seeing as AMD hasn't had a high-end launch in two years, you can easily say there's massive delay.
Posted on Reply
#14
Divide Overflow
TheinsanegamerN said:
Always Massive Delays.

We have been waiting since the mighty 290x for a good high end GPU (fury was too limited). But even if you consider fury good, it's been nearly two years. Nvidia has dominated with pascal. How long are AMD buyers supposed to wait for raja to get off of his behind and release something?
Dramatics much? Vega is right on track for when it was announced.
Posted on Reply
#15
ADHDGAMING
we already know this going to go, the youtubes will ignore this statement then start their gloom and doom theorys using a card that is not optimized for gaming .
Posted on Reply
#17
kruk
Raevenlord said:
just a little while longer for the lower-priced, gaming-optimized Radeon RX Vega graphics card.
In other words: they are still tweaking the drivers for best gaming performance.
Posted on Reply
#18
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
I just wonder if "a little while longer" is implying the gaming Vega cards will be announced at Computex (May 30-June 3) or E3 (June 13-15). E3 a year ago, AMD announced the RX 4## series. Makes sense that Frontier Edition was shown at Financial Analysts event because there really is no convention for deep learning hardware.
Posted on Reply
#19
warrior420
TheLostSwede said:
Let me leave this here...


Do Tell, my Friend! What's going on in the picture? :D
Posted on Reply
#20
TheLostSwede
warrior420 said:
Do Tell, my Friend! What's going on in the picture? :D
From what I can tell, it's someone testing the LEDs... Not my picture, it's from an AMD employee on Facebook.
Posted on Reply
#21
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
JATownes said:
I've been holding out for Vega, but this is starting to get a little crazy. I finally switched to an i7 last year, because I was tired of waiting for Ryzen to show up. I will switch to Ryzen eventually, but the need is no longer urgent. I have been on a 290X pair for years now, and they really need to be replaced, but Vega is turning into a unicorn that never comes to fruition...I'll probably wait until the end of June, simply because we have family vacation, etc., but if Vega does not appear by then, I will snag a 1080ti and be set for this generation.

JAT
You have more patience than I do. I gave them until last week. I just can't believe this whole thing keeps getting pushed more and more. @birdie has this right wAitMD is ringing way too true.
Posted on Reply
#22
dwade
Yes you should wait... for Volta
Posted on Reply
#23
Solidstate89
Nabarun said:
What kinda poll is this? What if I wanna grab an RX 570/580?
Then you weren't ever waiting for Vega and don't care about high-end GPUs. Did this really need to be explained to you?
Posted on Reply
#24
TheGuruStud
TheinsanegamerN said:
Always Massive Delays.

We have been waiting since the mighty 290x for a good high end GPU (fury was too limited). But even if you consider fury good, it's been nearly two years. Nvidia has dominated with pascal. How long are AMD buyers supposed to wait for raja to get off of his behind and release something?
Hynix and Samsung are failures. Neither can produce more than a trickle of HBM2 and we will be coming up on a YEAR of production (not that AMD isn't behind on drivers and getting Global Failures to spit out quality silicon).

HBM2 was supposed to be in mass production last fall..at the latest.
Posted on Reply
#25
Captain_Tom
I gotta say that at this point it seems like the Vega chips themselves are totally ready, but AMD just needs to receive some shipments of HBM2.


Hopefully gaming Vega can still come out in July, and hopefully the extra couple months will be used to get even higher clockspeeds. :/
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment