Wednesday, November 22nd 2017

Latest Need for Speed Payback Update Accelerates Progression System

Following the launch of Need for Speed Payback, we've been working on addressing feedback by making changes to the progression system and other aspects of the game. These range from decreasing the amount of time for parts to refresh within the tune-up shops to the way events, bait crates and roaming racers work. Players in Ranked Speedlists will also notice an increased amount of parts being paid out. Win the Speedlist and you're guaranteed a new part, while simply participating means you get more chances of receiving an item of your own. We've already pushed a number of these updates live and will continue to listen to our players to make Need for Speed Payback the best experience possible.

Soon players will see a client-side patch going live and will benefit from a range of updates including improved game performance, multiple fixes to improve stability and tune-up shops stocking a higher quality selection of parts.
The Changes - Already Live
  • Decreased the time it takes for new parts to appear in Tune-Up shops, down from 30 mins to 10 mins.
  • Increased the amount of REP awarded by taking part in events.
  • Increased the amount of Bank awarded by taking part in events.
  • Bait crates now reward increased REP.
  • Bait crates now reward increased Bank.
  • Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased REP.
  • Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased Bank.
  • Increased rate in which parts are rewarded within Ranked Speedlists.
  • Air Suspension will now appear more frequently.
  • Slightly increased REP and Bank for finishing an event outside of first place.
The Changes - Coming in a Patch
  • Tune-up shops now stock higher quality parts.
  • Improved quality of cards from targeted rolls in the Tune-up Shops.
  • Increased the level on parts awarded from winning events.
  • Multiple fixes to Improve stability.
  • Improved game performance.
Add your own comment

19 Comments on Latest Need for Speed Payback Update Accelerates Progression System

#1
RejZoR
Decreased the time it takes for new parts to appear in Tune-Up shops, down from 30 mins to 10 mins.
What they really mean is new CARDS, not new PARTS. This game has cards with names and stats and not actual parts. Which is dumb and annoying. No other game in entire existence of NFS franchise required fiddling with car parts shops. First time they introduce loot garbage and they need to fiddle with it because it's fundamentally broken. And it'll always be broken because it's stupid.

Any info on the patch release date? My game is acting really weird lately, constantly crashing on random occasions.

EDIT:
Got a response from Ghost developer, patch release is scheduled for tomorrow if all goes as planned...
Posted on Reply
#2
HimymCZe
so you are paying $60 for game that looks like Most Wanted (2008) AND you have wait or pay more. GENIUS! gaming in 2017 in a nutshell
Posted on Reply
#3
natr0n
All the old nfs titles were the best we should cherish those.
Posted on Reply
#4
FreedomEclipse
~Technological Technocrat~
natr0n said:
All the old nfs titles were the best we should cherish those.
I loved me some NFS:Underground. I loved the whole open world aspect even if all the other drives were Ai. I had a 3 second or sub 3 second Mazda MX-5 which would just wreck everything on the road and in other races.

Sadly the game crashes on Windows 7 regardless of compatibility mode
Posted on Reply
#5
Beastie
Lol, bait crates :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#6
RejZoR
Beastie said:
Lol, bait crates :laugh:
Not to mention the whole story which feels like Ghost Games tried to pass a message past their captor (EA) to the players. The House controlling all the small players in the city seems odly familiar to EA's behavior... And yeah, the bait Crates... :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#7
Dammeron
FreedomEclipse said:
I loved me some NFS:Underground. I loved the whole open world aspect even if all the other drives were Ai. I had a 3 second or sub 3 second Mazda MX-5 which would just wreck everything on the road and in other races.

Sadly the game crashes on Windows 7 regardless of compatibility mode
While open world is fine, cars it had in a game called "Need for Speed" were a huge misunderstanding. In NFS III the slowest one You had was Jaguar XK8 - how does Peugeot 206 compare to that? Let's add some tuning and all that "gangsta life" and this was not a game that I was looking for...

NFS up to HP2 were the ones I liked, although HP2 already had a stench of poop (no wheels' support and some more fails), but at least it kept the same style. Wish it returned to that...
Posted on Reply
#8
phill
Bring back Underground 2 updated and with no DLC's or add on's and I'm sure people would buy it with 4k, more cars, more upgrades, etc etc.....
Posted on Reply
#9
dozenfury
I give them credit for realizing and acting on a failing game early on, rather than waiting until it's far too late to fix it like has happened with many games. But the game's problems go well beyond these minor tweaks. Way too many cut-scenes and not enough action. The racing is mediocre compared to FH3 or even recent NFS games.

Also, I'm getting a bit tired of EA's line that they've learned their lesson with NFS and they are taking it back to it's roots. They've literally said this for the past 4 or 5 NFS releases in a row, and every release they just keep getting worse and further from it's roots.
Posted on Reply
#10
FreedomEclipse
~Technological Technocrat~
dozenfury said:
I give them credit for realizing and acting on a failing game early on, rather than waiting until it's far too late to fix it like has happened with many games. But the game's problems go well beyond these minor tweaks. Way too many cut-scenes and not enough action. The racing is mediocre compared to FH3 or even recent NFS games.

Also, I'm getting a bit tired of EA's line that they've learned their lesson with NFS and they are taking it back to it's roots. They've literally said this for the past 4 or 5 NFS releases in a row, and every release they just keep getting worse and further from it's roots.
I give them no credit. Otherwise they would have been fined by the EU who has found the loot crate system to be predatory and thus illegal
Posted on Reply
#11
bug
The takeaway here is NFS is no longer an arcade car sim, but yet another generic grind for resources title (the kind that you can play for free on your phone).
This may not be new, I stopped caring for the series a looong time ago.
Posted on Reply
#12
Apocalypsee
FreedomEclipse said:
I loved me some NFS:Underground. I loved the whole open world aspect even if all the other drives were Ai. I had a 3 second or sub 3 second Mazda MX-5 which would just wreck everything on the road and in other races.

Sadly the game crashes on Windows 7 regardless of compatibility mode
Same here, I just use MX-5 for the whole career. It's fun seeing small cars dominates bigger cars that have twice as many cylinders :D

Back to topic, all this lootboxes and cards are for mobile gaming, they shouldn't creep to PC gaming. When I saw the gameplay in YouTube its really like the PC version of Asphalt 8 or any other Android racing games. With all these games focused on this stupid mechanics, sometimes I wonder what's the point of upgrading PCs when the games are so crappy. I just loaded old HP laptop with Windows XP so I could play all the classics with no compatibility problems.
Posted on Reply
#13
Prima.Vera
Anyways, the best NFS game were always the NFS 4 - High Stakes and NFS Porsche. Those games were made before 2000, but had the most realistic driving and damage system from all NFS games.
Whatever came next, maybe except for Underground series, are just pure atrocities and insults to the gamers.
Posted on Reply
#14
silapakorn
When you put too many microtransactions in your game that you can't remove them without breaking your game but now people are on to you so you have to make do with minor adjustments and hope for the best.
Posted on Reply
#15
kurosagi01
They balls it up when i thought the NFS 2015 was a step in a good(not right) direction for the franchise, only thing they needed to improve on in my opinion is the customisation and fix the AI. Remove good chunk of supercars and hypercars as i don't really want see them in a street racing game. Definitely remove cheesy story which was in 2015, but writing a story which involve cars is a tough one i guess..i mean look at what has happend to Fast and furious lol.
Posted on Reply
#16
TheinsanegamerN
Apocalypsee said:
Same here, I just use MX-5 for the whole career. It's fun seeing small cars dominates bigger cars that have twice as many cylinders :D

Back to topic, all this lootboxes and cards are for mobile gaming, they shouldn't creep to PC gaming. When I saw the gameplay in YouTube its really like the PC version of Asphalt 8 or any other Android racing games. With all these games focused on this stupid mechanics, sometimes I wonder what's the point of upgrading PCs when the games are so crappy. I just loaded old HP laptop with Windows XP so I could play all the classics with no compatibility problems.
Hence why my circa 2012 machine had 1 upgrade, and that was a newer video card specifically for wolfenstein and witcher 3. My wallet has been loving the lack of hardware purchases.

Gaming today isnt about the art, it is about meeting quarterly quotas. All the interesting games are indie or older titles from the likes of GoG. And I'm OK with that. I've been investing that time into other hobbies because lets face it, gamers LOVE micro-transactions if ubisoft and EA's quarterly profits are any indication. This behavior isnt going to get better anytime soon.
Posted on Reply
#17
bug
Apocalypsee said:
Same here, I just use MX-5 for the whole career. It's fun seeing small cars dominates bigger cars that have twice as many cylinders :D
Actually Underground's unique upgrades were a terrible flaw in that game. You lost them if you switched to a better car and the only way to get them all was to on to your starting ride. Which resulted in in RX-7 or the Peugeot 206 doing 0-60 in under 3s :kookoo:

Prima.Vera said:
Anyways, the best NFS game were always the NFS 4 - High Stakes and NFS Porsche. Those games were made before 2000, but had the most realistic driving and damage system from all NFS games.
Whatever came next, maybe except for Underground series, are just pure atrocities and insults to the gamers.
Underground is when I stopped caring. I tried U2 and MW, but could get into them anymore.
Since I'm more into arcade driving, I didn't get into Porsche either (great game, just not my cup of tea), but thought Hot Pursuit 2 was still pretty cool. You know, the last one that was actually about fast cars...
Posted on Reply
#18
Apocalypsee
bug said:
Actually Underground's unique upgrades were a terrible flaw in that game. You lost them if you switched to a better car and the only way to get them all was to on to your starting ride. Which resulted in in RX-7 or the Peugeot 206 doing 0-60 in under 3s :kookoo:
Yeah I remember those unique performance upgrades, there are 3 if my memory serves me well. Luckily there is a trainer nowadays where you can apply those upgrades to all your car
Posted on Reply
#19
OneMoar
There is Always Moar
handling model is terrible anyway so moot point
rip need for speed
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment