Friday, January 26th 2007

Intel Penryn will use HyperThreading

Penryn, the 45nm successor to Conroe on the Intel roadmap, will have several new features the previous lacked. One of these is Intel HyperThreading, which would give a computer four logical cores on a dual-core processor. Intel's Penryn may also have up to 6MB of L2 Cache, and other than the die shrink, will have a lot of minor performance tweaks.

Source: The Inquirer
Add your own comment

37 Comments on Intel Penryn will use HyperThreading

#1
kwchang007
if only i knew this before i got my laptop :shadedshu
i mean it's not slow or anything, but HT really does make a difference
on my old desktop i've booted it up with and without and it will run faster with it enabled. Now with 2 actual cores and 4 logical cores what kind of gains can we expect, espically on c2d
Posted on Reply
#2
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
kwchang007 said:
if only i knew this before i got my laptop :shadedshu
i mean it's not slow or anything, but HT really does make a difference
on my old desktop i've booted it up with and without and it will run faster with it enabled. Now with 2 actual cores and 4 logical cores what kind of gains can we expect, espically on c2d
the reason ht worked so well on p4s is cause of the insanely long pipes so they didnt have to flushed to start a new process intel used HT though the c2d does not have those long pipes so i do not know how well ht will work on them
Posted on Reply
#3
kwchang007
cdawall said:
the reason ht worked so well on p4s is cause of the insanely long pipes so they didnt have to flushed to start a new process intel used HT though the c2d does not have those long pipes so i do not know how well ht will work on them
intresting to know, so we may not expect great gain with c2d, hmm. bummer
Posted on Reply
#4
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
kwchang007 said:
intresting to know, so we may not expect great gain with c2d, hmm. bummer
it will probably improve some performance but not as much as the p4 did
Posted on Reply
#5
kwchang007
on a mobile solution though you're looking for as much cpu power while keeping the power down...or at least i hope so. anyways im thinking this will matter alot more for laptops then for desktops, espically since a HT p4 in laptops hopefully never happened
Posted on Reply
#6
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
kwchang007 said:
espically since a HT p4 in laptops hopefully never happened
It did, and it was baaad. In fact I knew someone that bought an Alienware laptop with a P4EE in it, the battery lasted about 15 minutes...
Posted on Reply
#7
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
newtekie1 said:
It did, and it was baaad. In fact I knew someone that bought an Alienware laptop with a P4EE in it, the battery lasted about 15 minutes...
:roll:
Posted on Reply
#8
kwchang007
newtekie1 said:
It did, and it was baaad. In fact I knew someone that bought an Alienware laptop with a P4EE in it, the battery lasted about 15 minutes...
haha im surprised the thing didn't overheat and shut itself down before 5 mintues
Posted on Reply
#9
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
kwchang007 said:
haha im surprised the thing didn't overheat and shut itself down before 5 mintues
It did get VERY hot, but I have to credit Alienware on one thing, the cooling design they used to keep it cool was very well built.
Posted on Reply
#10
kwchang007
newtekie1 said:
It did get VERY hot, but I have to credit Alienware on one thing, the cooling design they used to keep it cool was very well built.
haha, i wish my laptop was like that, one fan for both pro and vid card....no wonder all they could put in was a x1400
Posted on Reply
#11
Zubasa
kwchang007 said:
haha, i wish my laptop was like that, one fan for both pro and vid card....no wonder all they could put in was a x1400
Well, they can put a 8800 in there but you laptop will run out of power within minutes:rockout:
Posted on Reply
#12
kwchang007
Zubasa said:
Well, they can put a 8800 in there but you laptop will run out of power within minutes:rockout:
hahaha, that'd be awsome......of course they id have a billion dead hdds and a heavy laptop
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment