Tuesday, November 28th 2017

MSI Rolls Out GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Armor OC with GDDR5X Memory

MSI rolled out one of the many upcoming silently-launched GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics cards to feature the more advanced GDDR5X memory. NVIDIA is designing this SKU to compete with AMD's recently launched Radeon RX 590. Its specifications are very similar to those of the original GTX 1060 6 GB, but GDDR5X lends additional overclocking headroom. NVIDIA is carving this SKU out of the larger GP104 silicon, instead of GP106. You still only get 1,280 CUDA cores, 80 TMUs, 48 ROPs, and a 192-bit wide memory interface.

The MSI Armor OC ships with 1544 MHz GPU clocks, with 1759 MHz GPU Boost frequencies, compared to 1506/1709 MHz reference clock speeds. This factory-overclock is identical to the one the company's original GP106-based Armor OCV1 card ships with. The memory, surprisingly remains at 8.00 GHz, even though we suspect 10 Gbps-rated GDDR5X memory chips are being used in this card. The card draws power from a combination of 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connectors. The company's GTX 1060 6 GB Armor OCV1 graphics card only features a single 8-pin. Apparently you get SLI support. The company didn't reveal pricing.
Add your own comment

15 Comments on MSI Rolls Out GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Armor OC with GDDR5X Memory

#1
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
I guess the vrm section of the 1080 pcb they used was designed for both the 6 and 8 pin connectors. I am really curious if these will have working sli now...?
Posted on Reply
#2
king of swag187
cdawall said:
I guess the vrm section of the 1080 pcb they used was designed for both the 6 and 8 pin connectors. I am really curious if these will have working sli now...?
Might be similar to the Titan V, it has the NVLink Fingers physically present but they have no electrical connections
Posted on Reply
#4
sutyi
Ever wanted a GTX 1070LE?
Posted on Reply
#5
Readlight
All best multiplayer games are made for this performance, thats why i lose all time in War Thunder. Whit 10-30fps and 200-999 ping
Posted on Reply
#6
bajs11
wow! another gtx 1060 which was released more than two and a half years ago
I bet they will charge at least 350 bucks for this thing

"Apparently you get SLI support"
why sli 1060 when a single rtx 2070 probably outperforms it in most games
Posted on Reply
#7
Assimilator
Specifications page makes no mention of SLI, so it's almost certain this is just a reused GTX 1080 PCB like the Colorful GTX 1060 GDDR5X. Seems like all the manufacturers churned out masses of GTX 1080 boards during the crypto craze, then the crash came and now they're stuck with them; this gives them a way to get rid of them without making a total loss, while also not threatening the new RTX cards at the high end.

I have to say though, I'm seeing these cards shooting the manufacturers in the foot, because people with low-end systems are gonna buy them and of course their crappy PSUs aren't going to have dual 8-pin PCIe power connectors, so they'll end up returning the damn things and just getting ordinary GTX 1060s or RX 580/590.
Posted on Reply
#8
Chloe Price
Half of the shaders cut off, I guess they have so much defective chips since they have only 1280 working shaders.
Posted on Reply
#9
pky
Looks like this will also have a beefier cooler than the regular 1060 Armor, at least if the specifications on MSI's website are correct. Weight of the GDDR5X version is listed as 846g, while regular 1060 is 556g. 1070(Ti) Armors are 832g, 1080 Armor is 877g. So, one would expect lower temperatures/noise/both with these.
Posted on Reply
#10
Assimilator
Chloe Price said:
Half of the shaders cut off, I guess they have so much defective chips since they have only 1280 working shaders.
Nope, NVIDIA is purposefully gimping perfectly good GP104 chips that would have gone onto GTX 1070/1070 Ti/1080 cards, to make these 1060s. They don't want people buying new high-end Pascal cards, they'd much rather have us buy the far pricier Turing/RTX cards, and they're willing to take a hit on the price they paid TSMC for those GP104s to achieve that. Plus they needed something to compete with RX 590, and midrange-priced GPUs move more units than high-end ones.
Posted on Reply
#11
Chloe Price
Assimilator said:
Nope, NVIDIA is purposefully gimping perfectly good GP104 chips that would have gone onto GTX 1070/1070 Ti/1080 cards, to make these 1060s. They don't want people buying new high-end Pascal cards, they'd much rather have us buy the far pricier Turing/RTX cards, and they're willing to take a hit on the price they paid TSMC for those GP104s to achieve that. Plus they needed something to compete with RX 590, and midrange-priced GPUs move more units than high-end ones.
You have a point there.

But the thing is, (what many others probably are also wondering) why release this with 8Gbps memory, since they had that 9Gbps GTX 1060..
Posted on Reply
#12
Assimilator
Chloe Price said:
You have a point there.

But the thing is, (what many others probably are also wondering) why release this with 8Gbps memory, since they had that 9Gbps GTX 1060..
At this point I don't believe anyone's quite sure what NVIDIA is thinking :/
Posted on Reply
#13
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Assimilator said:
At this point I don't believe anyone's quite sure what NVIDIA is thinking :/
I believe they are thinking sell more cards and wtf are we going to do with all these low end 1080 pcbs that we can't sell to miners anymore.
Posted on Reply
#14
Chloe Price
Screw that! My (now watercooled) GTX 980 still rocks! :D
Posted on Reply
#15
cyneater
Its called GDDR5x because its 5x what it should cost no way should a mid tier GPU cost over $300 Au.. currenty 1060 are up to $500...


Assimilator said:
At this point I don't believe anyone's quite sure what NVIDIA is thinking :/
Greed make more and more money...
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment