Wednesday, December 19th 2018

LG to Launch New "Ultra" Monitor Lineup at CES 2019

LG at CES 2019 is set to announce two new monitors on its "Ultra" lineup, which includes the UltraWide and UltraGear product lines. The UltraWide is pretty self-explanatory, and will be populated by the 49WL95 monitor, a 49" IPS, dual QHD (5120 x 1440) resolution panel with a 32:9 aspect ratio (there's support for up to three PbP modes simultaneously, thus making this a triple monitor setup, should you so choose). 99% coverage of the sRGB color space ensures faithful color reproduction. There's also support for HDR10 content, though the typical brightness of the monitor stands at 350 nits (peak brightness not disclosed). Connectors stand at 1x USB-C, 2x HDMI 1x DP, and 4x USB 3.0.

The second monitor is on LGs UltraGear lineup. The 38GL950G features LG's Nano IPS technology and support for NVIDIA G-Sync and 144 Hz refresh rate. It has a 38" diagonal across a curved panel, a WQHD+ (3840 x 1600) resolution, and a more standard (or is that less wide?) 21:9 aspect ratio. A typical 450 nits brightness means this monitor also supports HDR content, and connectors include 1x HDMI, 1x DP, and 3x USB 3.0 (1 up / 2 down). If any of these monitor ticks your "I want it now" boxes, you might want to wait until CES for the actual announcement and availability info.
Source: LG
Add your own comment

27 Comments on LG to Launch New "Ultra" Monitor Lineup at CES 2019

#1
Hockster
That 3840X1600 G Sync monitor has me very interested.
Posted on Reply
#2
kastriot
Yep especially if you watch tennis and need to train neck muscles.
Posted on Reply
#3
Hockster
That comment makes no sense at all.
Posted on Reply
#4
Dr_b_
Hockster said:
That comment makes no sense at all.
I think he was referring to the larger one, with the higher horizontal resolution. If you watch tennis, the ball moves back and forth, probably left to right on the screen, so you will have to either move your eyes, or move your head using your neck which will train said muscles.
Posted on Reply
#5
Dave65
Love their products, but they don't stand behind their products.
Posted on Reply
#6
FrustratedGarrett
Their existing "nano IPS" monitors way overpriced. Their current 34" ultra wide "nano IPS" monitor costs almost as much as their 55" OLED TV.
Posted on Reply
#7
Diverge
Hopefully LG starts designing decent I/O sections on their displays, instead of ports that are perpendicular to the back of the display - which makes it easy to break the ports, and requires more room (prevents wall mounting, if you ever wanted to).
Posted on Reply
#8
nemesis.ie
What about the 3rd one, it looks like 16:9 and is maybe the UHD one?

Oh silly me, that's just one on top of another with a horrible bezel across the middle. :(
Posted on Reply
#9
CrAsHnBuRnXp
Hockster said:
That 3840X1600 G Sync monitor has me very interested.
This is the very resolution that I have been waiting for.
Posted on Reply
#10
halcyon
More 8bit+FRC, not-really-proper-HDR (not even HDR600 specs), not full 4K, no G-Sync HDR monitors.

The panel advancement in monitors has been appalling for the past two years.

Still waiting for that 32+ fast-response time, 100% rec.2020 coverage, real HDR1000, min 120Hz monitor with HDMI2.1 and DisplayPort1.4 that doesn't cost the price of two 55+ OLED TVs.

Perhaps in 2019, if we are lucky.
Posted on Reply
#11
bubbly1724
halcyon said:
The panel advancement in monitors has been appalling for the past two years.
Monitors were always slow on tech. There's not enough incentive to put R&D into those small panels. VESA's DisplayHDR spec is also a joke to actual HDR (contrast ratios usually achieved only through local dimming).

But if anything it's been advancing far faster in recent years than earlier ones with adaptive sync, faster refresh, quantum dots, etc. Do recall that the first TV with quantum dots came out over 5 years ago. The manufacturers really know how to milk those monitor prices though.
Posted on Reply
#12
CheapMeat
I really like ultra-wides. It's just that right now, for all monitors, I feel like the "right" specs are missing. Every monitor seems to have good and bad aspects and price either makes it better or worse but not "right".
Posted on Reply
#13
Slacker
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:

This is the very resolution that I have been waiting for.
This resolution has been out for over a year now. But only with Freesync and 75hz. LG was also the panel maker for the first 3840x1600 monitor.
Posted on Reply
#14
Prima.Vera
That 38" one sure it's interesting. Especially with the res and 144Hz refresh. Too bad is going to cost as much as a 2nd hand car....
Posted on Reply
#15
Hockster
Prima.Vera said:
That 38" one sure it's interesting. Especially with the res and 144Hz refresh. Too bad is going to cost as much as a 2nd hand car....
If it's similar in price to what I (over)paidfor my Predator I'm in.
Posted on Reply
#16
Th3pwn3r
Hockster said:
If it's similar in price to what I (over)paidfor my Predator I'm in.
It'll be double that price, easily. Hopefully I'm wrong though for your sake.
Posted on Reply
#17
CrAsHnBuRnXp
Slacker said:
This resolution has been out for over a year now. But only with Freesync and 75hz. LG was also the panel maker for the first 3840x1600 monitor.
I don't want freesync though
Posted on Reply
#18
Slacker
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:
I don't want freesync though
Yeah I know me too. But honestly it's not bad at all. It's just that it's only 75hz. Waiting for the price of this and I'll sell mine
Posted on Reply
#19
The Quim Reaper
A vendor rep on a forum has said not to expect these to be available until Q3/Q4 2019.
Posted on Reply
#20
nemesis.ie
LOL, "meh" specs and a wait of nearly a year - FAIL.
Posted on Reply
#21
Vayra86
Hockster said:
That comment makes no sense at all.
I think it was quite a brilliant line actually. It'll make sense to you too once you try doing that on such a panel :) 21:9 38 inch and high res? Yup, sounds like an incoming doctors' visit to me.

halcyon said:
More 8bit+FRC, not-really-proper-HDR (not even HDR600 specs), not full 4K, no G-Sync HDR monitors.

The panel advancement in monitors has been appalling for the past two years.

Still waiting for that 32+ fast-response time, 100% rec.2020 coverage, real HDR1000, min 120Hz monitor with HDMI2.1 and DisplayPort1.4 that doesn't cost the price of two 55+ OLED TVs.

Perhaps in 2019, if we are lucky.
A man can dream ey
Posted on Reply
#22
medi01
Raevenlord said:
typical 450 nits brightness means this monitor also supports HDR conten
Lol, sure thing.

halcyon said:
Still waiting for that 32+ fast-response time, 100% rec.2020 coverage, real HDR1000, min 120Hz monitor with HDMI2.1 and DisplayPort1.4 that doesn't cost the price of two 55+ OLED TVs.
I'd be fine with 1440p or even 1080p, for reasonably priced OLED, but heck, where are they.

Shouldn't it be much cheaper to produce OLEDscreens of 27" size (as opposed to 55", which could be had for 1.5k USD and have 4 times the area).
Posted on Reply
#23
Hockster
Vayra86 said:
I think it was quite a brilliant line actually. It'll make sense to you too once you try doing that on such a panel :) 21:9 38 inch and high res? Yup, sounds like an incoming doctors' visit to me.
Sure, if someone sits with their face six inches from the panel. I run dual monitors, and one is an ultrawide and no tennis neck required.
Posted on Reply
#24
Vayra86
Hockster said:
Sure, if someone sits with their face six inches from the panel. I run dual monitors, and one is an ultrawide and no tennis neck required.
You'd be surprised how many people do, and even those who don't, eventually do crawl towards their monitor.
Posted on Reply
#25
CrAsHnBuRnXp
nemesis.ie said:
LOL, "meh" specs and a wait of nearly a year - FAIL.
They technically haven't been announced yet. Being announced at CES.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment