Tuesday, December 25th 2018

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 to Ship in Six Variants Based on Memory Size and Type

NVIDIA drew consumer ire for differentiating its GeForce GTX 1060 into two variants based on memory, the GTX 1060 3 GB and GTX 1060 6 GB, with the two also featuring different GPU core-configurations. The company plans to double-down - or should we say, triple-down - on its sub-branding shenanigans with the upcoming GeForce RTX 2060. According to VideoCardz, citing a GIGABYTE leak about regulatory filings, NVIDIA could be carving out not two, but six variants of the RTX 2060!

There are at least two parameters that differentiate the six (that we know of anyway): memory size and memory type. There are three memory sizes, 3 GB, 4 GB, and 6 GB. Each of the three memory sizes come in two memory types, the latest GDDR6 and the older GDDR5. Based on the six RTX 2060 variants, GIGABYTE could launch up to thirty nine SKUs. When you add up similar SKU counts from NVIDIA's other AIC partners, there could be upward of 300 RTX 2060 graphics card models to choose from. It won't surprise us if in addition to memory size and type, GPU core-configurations also vary between the six RTX 2060 variants compounding consumer confusion. The 12 nm "TU106" silicon already has "A" and "non-A" ASIC classes, so there could be as many as twelve new device IDs in all! The GeForce RTX 2060 is expected to debut in January 2019.
Source: VideoCardz
Add your own comment

230 Comments on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 to Ship in Six Variants Based on Memory Size and Type

#1
ShurikN
3GB on a mid range gpu in 2019... I'm at a loss for words.
Posted on Reply
#2
Blueberries
People had a hard time with 3GB vs 6GB...

...nevermind...

not even going to try.
Posted on Reply
#3
Prima.Vera
The lather jacket idiot seems to be loosing completely his mind.
By releasing 6 different cards under the same name it’s the proof that nVidia lost it.
And lost it hard...
Posted on Reply
#4
Xzibit
Interesting given turning on RTX in BF5 you use more VRAM. 3GB will be low SD, 4GB will be Reg SD, 6GB will be a tiny pinch of RTX.
Posted on Reply
#5
INSTG8R
My Custom Title
Xzibit said:
Interesting given turning on RTX in BF5 you use more VRAM. 3GB will be low SD, 4GB will be Reg SD, 6GB will be a tiny pinch of RTX.
I have a feeling RTRT will be all but useless at this level.
Posted on Reply
#6
kastriot
Nvidia is going intel way..
Posted on Reply
#7
Tomgang
Wow thats low nvidia. I replaced my two gtx 970 for a gtx 1080 ti for one and a half year ago because i ran out of vram.

And pascal gtx 1060 3 gb i dit not reccomend to people that play games al ready when it came out.

And now they release a 3 gb variant again. Wtf nvidia. 3 gb ram is out in 2018 and that sure as hell aint gonna change in 2019. Unless you are a 720P gamer and how many does that in 2018/2019?

Whats next. They secretly put out a card with ddr4 ram, like they dit with gt1030 and totally cripples memory bandwrith.
Posted on Reply
#9
SomeOne99h
<div class="youtube-embed" data-id="bmKV4Y8SfpI"><img src="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bmKV4Y8SfpI/hqdefault.jpg" /><div class="youtube-play"></div><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKV4Y8SfpI" target="_blank" class="youtube-title"></a></div>
Posted on Reply
#10
GoldenX
The whole RTX launch seems something out of Bethesda/EA Games.
Posted on Reply
#11
Fouquin
GS, GT, GTO, GTS, XT, RTX
Posted on Reply
#12
M2B
You can easily run almost every single game on a 3GB card at 1080p just fine, but you're gonna lower the texture quality in some games and that's all. the 3GB version is not ideal but is not as usless as some people think, it actually might be a good value card for those needing a fairly powerful GPU and don't care about the maximum quality textures or VRAM related settings.
if the 3GB RTX 2060 is going to be priced under 200$, I don't see a problem but anything higher than 200$ is unacceptable.
8GB VRAM on a 800$ card (RTX 2080) is more disappointing than 3GB on a budget card to me.
Posted on Reply
#13
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
You can get an 8 GiB RX 580 for $220. A 3 GiB card these days shouldn't be going for much more than $120 (the realm of budget cards). The way NVIDIA offering these cards makes any sense is that they have really, really, really bad yields. The fact they are going to exist strongly suggests that is the case. Even 4 GiB is rather sad.

At most they should offer GDDR5 and GDDR6 variants of the 2060 6 GiB and they should call the GDDR5 variant 2060 MX to clearly indicate it's the lesser of the two.
Posted on Reply
#14
Mistral
How are they going to have an RTX 2060 when the RTX 2070 is barely adequate enough to do anything RTX related?
Posted on Reply
#15
Durvelle27
M2B said:
You can easily run almost every single game on a 3GB card at 1080p just fine, but you're gonna lower the texture quality in some games and that's all. the 3GB version is not ideal but is not as usless as some people think, it actually might be a good value card for those needing a fairly powerful GPU and don't care about the maximum quality textures or VRAM related settings.
if the 3GB RTX 2060 is going to be priced under 200$, I don't see a problem but anything higher than 200$ is unacceptable.
8GB VRAM on a 800$ card (RTX 2080) is more disappointing than 3GB on a budget card to me.
I have a Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OC edition and st 1080P is struggles in 3 main games I play and it’s not the power, it’s the VRAM

Mistral said:
How are they going to have an RTX 2060 when the RTX 2070 is barely adequate enough to do anything RTX related?
Honestly that comes down to devs and how they implement RT. The 2070 has no problem playing BFV at 1080P Ultra w/RT and still maintain 60FPS
Posted on Reply
#17
M2B
Durvelle27 said:
I have a Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OC edition and st 1080P is struggles in 3 main games I play and it’s not the power, it’s the VRAM
Maybe you should improve your reading skills?
Yeah, 3GB is not ideal and is not enough for maximum VRAM related settings in most AAA games but IF the price is right (something around 140$ sounds right to me which is unlikely) it's not gonna be a bad value card.
Posted on Reply
#18
Fatalfury
Gigabyte ....
39 SKUs for RTX 2060 ready before launch
0 SKU for RX 590... even after few months of launch.

well done top 3 Brands(Gigabyte,Asus,Msi) for unofficially supporting GPP.
Posted on Reply
#19
ShurikN
M2B said:
Maybe you should improve your reading skills?
Yeah, 3GB is not ideal and is not enough for maximum VRAM related settings in most AAA games but IF the price is right (something around 140$ sounds right to me which is unlikely) it's not gonna be a bad value card.
Even 1060 3GB wasn't $140.... Why would a 2060 (with a larger die) be cheaper.
Posted on Reply
#20
satrianiboys
M2B said:
Maybe you should improve your reading skills?
Yeah, 3GB is not ideal and is not enough for maximum VRAM related settings in most AAA games but IF the price is right (something around 140$ sounds right to me which is unlikely) it's not gonna be a bad value card.
The true definition of fanspin..hm i mean fanboi..
Posted on Reply
#23
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
Durvelle27 said:
Honestly that comes down to devs and how they implement RT. The 2070 has no problem playing BFV at 1080P Ultra w/RT and still maintain 60FPS
2560x1440 D3D > 1920x1080 DXR on an RTX 2070. BFV manages those FPS numbers by hugely cutting down on the number of rays which translates to really no point in using them. Also, there's only a few million people that will ever play BFV on PC and only a faction of a fraction of those have an RTX card.

StefanM said:
Interesting. Also check out: https://portal.eaeunion.org/sites/odata/_layouts/15/portal.eec.registry.ui/displayform.aspx?itemid=59093&listid=d84d16d7-2cc9-4cff-a13b-530f96889dbc
for some unannounced GPUs
PG?
Posted on Reply
#24
_UV_
Well, they still have room for a 5GB and 2GB later... i mean with ddr4 or even even ddr3
Posted on Reply
#25
Candor
I don't think this is enough variants. Please lets add GTX 1160's to this. :kookoo:
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment