Monday, March 25th 2019

ASUS and ASRock AMD X570 Chipset Motherboards Listed

AMD X570 is the companion premium chipset option for the company's 3rd generation Ryzen "Matisse" processor family, and is expected to debut alongside the first of these processors some time in June, 2019. Unlike the X470 and X370, the new X570 will be based on an in-house chipset design by AMD, and probably manufactured at GlobalFoundries on its 14 nm node. The mid-range "B550" and lower chipset models could continue to be sourced from ASMedia. Motherboard majors ASUS and ASRock put out their first partial lists of motherboard models based on the AMD X570.

ASUS will launch as many as seven motherboard models in its Republic of Gamers (ROG) family, led by the Crosshair VIII Formula. This indicates that ASUS is placing high enough sales expectations from the "Valhalla" platform across the competitive landscape to come out with an ROG Formula product. You can expect goodies such as 8-layer PCBs, liquid-cooling preparation for the VRM heatsinks, Thunderbolt, or 10 GbE, and the most number of overclocker-friendly features. Next up, are the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi, which could be the company's second-best product offerings. For the first time on the AMD platform, ASUS will launch an ROG Impact mini-ITX product, with the ROG Crosshair VIII Impact. There will be three ROG Strix family products based on the X570, the Strix-E (premium ATX), Strix-F (mid-range ATX), and Strix-I (premium mini-ITX).
Positioned roughly in-between the Crosshair VIII Formula and Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi, will be the WS X570-ACE, a quasi workstation-grade motherboard based on this platform, which is another first by ASUS for its AMD motherboard product-stack. The mainline Prime series includes the Prime X570-Pro (mid-range) and Prime X570-P (value). There are only two TUF Gaming products, the TUF Gaming X570-Plus, and the TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi.

Over to the ASRock camp, and we see its lineup capped by the no-nonsense X570 Taichi. The Taichi brand by ASRock has earned reputation among enthusiasts for its minimalist, yet highly functional design, and a powerful feature-set. This will be closely followed by the X570 Phantom Gaming X. It won't surprise us if these two boards share the same PCB with cosmetic changes to their feature-sets. At the upper-mid segment ASRock is positioning the X570 Phantom Gaming 6. ASRock could heavily implement 2.5 GbE LAN across the upper half of its X570 lineup as a killer-feature. Bang in the middle of the pile is the X570 Phantom Gaming 4, which could command a sub-$150 sweetspot price. This is where the Phantom Gaming segment ends, and the Extreme series begins. The X570 Extreme4 will be the mid-range ATX offering, followed by the X570 Pro4, and X570M Pro4. Source: VideoCardz
Add your own comment

49 Comments on ASUS and ASRock AMD X570 Chipset Motherboards Listed

#2
springs113
According to multiple different spots that I've read, yes it is PCI-E 4.
Posted on Reply
#3
Countryside
Ferrum Master said:
is it PCIE4?
The info so far is that Ryzen 3000 has PCIe Gen4 controller and the x570 should have pcie gen 4 but the 550 and 520 made by Asmedia will not have it.
Posted on Reply
#4
Object55
With PCIe 5.0 being so close even 4.0 is looking like old news.
Posted on Reply
#5
Ferrum Master
Countryside said:
The info ive read is that Ryzen 3000 has PCIe Gen4 controller and the x570 should have pcie gen 4 but the 550 and 520 made by Asmedia will not have it.
Well that's the most important thing and it isn't mentioned. There are a lot of strange info... like the in the older boards the first slot will be capable of PCIE4, as the traces are short enough.

Do all slots will be PCIE4 capable? The argument about sharing the same PCB is kinda hasty. It could, if the other slots will be gimped. I am smelling PLX splitter bridge for making 16x PCIe4 to 32x PCIe3.0.
Posted on Reply
#6
GinoLatino
Object55 said:
With PCIe 5.0 being so close even 4.0 is looking like old news.
Considering that even a 2080ti can't come close to saturate a PCIe 3.0 16x bus, having double the speed with PCIe 4.0, will still last you for a very long while.
Posted on Reply
#7
trparky
Object55 said:
With PCIe 5.0 being so close even 4.0 is looking like old news.
Considering that PCIe v4 has taken this long to come out into the public and it was ratified for use back in 2017, expect just as long for PCIe v5. But really, PCIe v4 will be enough for the vast majority of even us enthusiasts. Hell, PCIe v3 still isn't saturated by even gamers unless you have have seriously high end video card. PCIe v5 is geared more towards the data center and scientific computing.
Posted on Reply
#8
Ferrum Master
trparky said:
Considering that PCIe v4 has taken this long to come out into the public and it was ratified for use back in 2017, expect just as long for PCIe v5. But really, PCIe v4 will be enough for the vast majority of even us enthusiasts. Hell, PCIe v3 still isn't saturated by even gamers unless you have have seriously high end video card. PCIe v5 is geared more towards the data center and scientific computing.
It is not about speed, but how much you can push using one signaling lane and that's important. Half the amount lanes for basic I/O devices like USB and SATA. leaving much more freedom. Everyone will benefit from this simple upgrade really.
Posted on Reply
#9
trparky
Ferrum Master said:
It is not about speed, but how much you can push using one signaling lane and that's important. Half the amount lanes for basic I/O devices like USB and SATA. leaving much more freedom. Everyone will benefit from this simple upgrade really.
Oh, I know. Instead of having to use 16 PCIe lanes for a video card you might be able to get away with using only 8 (or 6) lanes. It would help alleviate the lane contention that we have with NVMe SSDs as well.
Posted on Reply
#10
Countryside
Object55 said:
With PCIe 5.0 being so close even 4.0 is looking like old news.
You will need a cpu with Gen5 controller.
Posted on Reply
#11
Zubasa
GinoLatino said:
Considering that even a 2080ti can't come close to saturate a PCIe 3.0 16x bus, having double the speed with PCIe 4.0, will still last you for a very long while.
Ferrum Master said:
It is not about speed, but how much you can push using one signaling lane and that's important. Half the amount lanes for basic I/O devices like USB and SATA. leaving much more freedom. Everyone will benefit from this simple upgrade really.
It is about speed, just not about the GPU.
Just because the Display Card that is in the 16x slot doesn't need it, it doesn't mean everything else doesn't.
NVME SSD are already closing on the PCI-E 3.0 x4 limit, so there is that.
Also faster Ethernet ports are becoming increasingly common, the 10Gbs asnd 5Gbs LAN ports are already taking more than 1 lane of PCI-E because of bandwidth constrains.
Posted on Reply
#12
Ferrum Master
Zubasa said:
It is about speed, just not about the GPU.
Just because the Display Card that is in the 16x slot doesn't need it, it doesn't mean everything else doesn't.
Who else?
Zubasa said:

NVME SSD are already closing on the PCI-E 3.0 x4 limit, so there is that.
And what do we get having more speed of that? They could make 8x cards, but they don't... for a sane reason. Instead we can cut it down to two used lanes, economy of traces, copper.
Zubasa said:

Also faster Ethernet ports are becoming increasingly common, the 10Gbs asnd 5Gbs LAN ports are already taking more than 1 lane of PCI-E because of bandwidth constrains.
Where are the damn mainstream routers?
Posted on Reply
#13
Zubasa
Ferrum Master said:
Who else?

And what do we get having more speed of that? They could make 8x cards, but they don't... for a sane reason. Instead we can cut it down to two used lanes, economy of traces, copper.

Where are the damn mainstream routers?
They can making 8x cards, but only HEDT boards have enough PCI-E slots for them.
M.2 slots are physically limited to PCI-E 4x, so you either make a new and bigger slot, or upgrade the PCI-E standard.
And is isn't always about saving a few cents worth of copper, on things like Laptops and ITX machines space is at a premium.

Where are mainstream Routers when 10M / 100M / 1000M Ethernet first appeared?
I mean they have to start somewhere, just because not everything requires it yet, doesn't mean technology should never progress.
It is nothing different to when PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 was first implemented.
No one will make PCI-E 4.0 cards if there is nothing in the world that have PCI-E 4.0 slots for you to plug them into.
Posted on Reply
#14
Ferrum Master
Zubasa said:
They can making 8x cards, but only HEDT boards have enough PCI-E slots for them.
M.2 slots are physically limited to PCI-E 4x, so you either make a new and bigger slot, or upgrade the PCI-E standard.
Where are mainstream Routers when 10M / 100M / 1000M Ethernet first appeared?
So the argument about pcie4 or even pcie5 integration fits, as everyone will benefit from higher single lane through-output, not the total summation of many parallel DSP's like HEDT has. The average desktop platform will gain most, keeping the low pin count.

If there is not infrastructure, then obviously there is no need for 10 or 5Gbs NIC for an average user. Save those lanes for something else. Those who want can use add in card in such cases.
Posted on Reply
#15
Zubasa
Ferrum Master said:
If there is not infrastructure, then obviously there is no need for 10 or 5Gbs NIC for an average user. Save those lanes for something else. Those who want can use add in card in such cases.
Except with PCI-E 4.0, 1 lane will handle the bandwidth for both 5G and 10G Ethernet ports.
And you can't use anything less in that sense, 1G Ethernet is already using 1 lane right now.
Also an upgrade in PCI-E standard can also mean the chipset can handle more concurrent traffic.
Since both AMD and Intel are physically using a PCI-E 4x lane for connection between Chipset and the CPU.
Posted on Reply
#16
Mats
Anyone else here who thinks the new boards being listed 3 - 4 months in advance is quite early?
Posted on Reply
#17
Caring1
Mats said:
Anyone else here who thinks the new boards being listed 3 - 4 months in advance is quite early?
They have yet to be officially announced @ Computex still.
Posted on Reply
#18
Ferrum Master
Zubasa said:
Except with PCI-E 4.0, 1 lane will handle the bandwidth for both 5G and 10G Ethernet ports.
And you can't use anything less in that sense, 1G Ethernet is already using 1 lane right now.
Also an upgrade in PCI-E standard can also mean the chipset can handle more concurrent traffic.
Since both AMD and Intel are physically using a PCI-E 4x lane for connection between Chipset and the CPU.
Yes you can use less. You can use multiplexers and PLX thus hook many devices on it. I mentioned it already.
Posted on Reply
#19
Slizzo
Ferrum Master said:
Where are the damn mainstream routers?
This is the part that gets me, we need the routers! Then we need home internet to speed up. But we're only just getting gigabit to the home more widespread now.
Posted on Reply
#20
Mats
Caring1 said:
They have yet to be officially announced @ Computex still.
Sure, but does boards get listed that early in general? The same goes for first public BIOS, or Bizgram listing Matisse FOUR months in advance, when the 9900K got listed one month in advance.

Sorry for my speculation, I know there's zero evidence for this, but I can't stop thinking that it could happen a month earlier, on AMD's 50th anniversary.


On the other hand, Icy Lake got listed on the same site (Eurasian Economic Commission) last week so IDK...
Posted on Reply
#21
Ferrum Master
Slizzo said:
This is the part that gets me, we need the routers!
The reason for it is the obvious... no PCIe4... there are no CPU's far that. Mainstream ARM's/MIPS/PPC also doesn't have it yet. Not sure about the beta silicon, I need to ask about that.

It is a distant dream IMHO.
Posted on Reply
#22
Imsochobo
All I want is a Matx board which is like steel legend B450M, with wifi\Bluetooth and a little better vrm.

On PCI-e's for B550:
NVME + top 16x slot pci-e 4.0
Chipset PCI-e 4.0 4x -> out to Pci-E 3.0

Should be sufficient!

x570, not something I'm interested in as a chipset, so won't even comment on it :)
Posted on Reply
#23
Countryside
Imsochobo said:
All I want is a Matx board which is like steel legend B450M, with wifi\Bluetooth and a little better vrm.

On PCI-e's for B550:
NVME + top 16x slot pci-e 4.0
Chipset PCI-e 4.0 4x -> out to Pci-E 3.0

Should be sufficient!

x570, not something I'm interested in as a chipset, so won't even comment on it :)
im lookin forward for the release of Asrock x570m pro 4 for an Matisse mATX build and specally that the x570 is an inhouse bulid not like the 550 and 520 from ASmedia.
Posted on Reply
#24
R0H1T
Object55 said:
With PCIe 5.0 being so close even 4.0 is looking like old news.
PCIe 5.0 won't feature in consumer boards for at least a year or two if not more, not to mention there's exactly zero CPUs that feature PCIe 5.0 :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#25
Sandbo
Ferrum Master said:
Who else?
Quit thinking gaming is the only purpose/use of GPU already. There is a thing called compute.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment